• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

Guest399

Hello @Hopper Labs i see you are online

Welcome back :)

tomorrow it will be August, the month where the batteries are supposed to finally arrive. wait. I will report here whether I will get my delivery this month or whether everything was just a lab as so often

must say thank you to Hopper Labs and maybe VGOODIEZ (i dont know)

after i confrontate Hopper Labs with my opinion with corona orders worldwide in the 2nd mail they sent me an email with Tracking number and they say that my battery order will go out the next days. Thanks again !

so I can and will finally be able to order my 2nd hopper io as soon as the battery delivery reaches me. I plan to order a 2nd SS and one 3nd Titanium io this year :rockon:

Last edited:

mushlove2u

This is my experience also, using on OG charger. I charge my IO exactly the same way as I charge my OG Hoppers. I have a timer switch on my power strip. The charging cable is plugged into the switch. I attach the charging cable to the Hopper back end and push the button on the timer switch to activate it. The Hoppers start charging.

There is some variation between Hoopers in what happens after I power the switch on. Older Hoppers will start blinking red and keep blinking red until the battery is charged. Some newer Hoppers will blink red once, pause for about 30 seconds, then blink red again until the battery is charged.

The IO will blink white once, pause for some time (? seconds), then blink white once every few seconds until the battery is charged, then it will blink white twice.
Yes! This is how my io was charging but when I just sent a video of how my io is flashing when I attach it to the charger (but it’s not charging even when plugged into the io first and usb after) Mine is doing a constant blink. The one battery I left charging to see what would happen while attached completely lost power and my io wasn’t flashing At all.
CS said my io was flashing normal in the video but it is different than the pattern than when it actually was charging, the same as this poster has stated.

N
So, I did the side by side test of my original TI Grasshopper DopeGun(TM) vs the new TI Hopper IO DopeGun(TM) through a j-hook. The IO blew the old man away. The original Grasshopper always requires a few priming hits/puffs to get going. The IO does not.
As for charging. The new charger has to have the cable pulled out of the wall outlet base after it is connected to either device to start charging. Pulling the wall plug out won't do. Pull the USB end out while leaving the wall outlet base in the wall outlet, and then stick it back in.
nope doesn’t change anything

MoltenTiger

Yup. Doesn’t turn off, doesn’t turn on, bites really hard when itnturns itself on and fingers are over holes, avb is tan, nowhere near as dark as my OG.

serial HT000067
hmm, maybe there are more widespread back-end issues than I thought.

Who has a good dial? How good is it?

I have a bunch of dials to go back and forth between and the io I have is seemingly fused in place by comparison, it's dodgy.

I haven't seen much issue with the switch function, there were a couple of times it turned on by itself or requied multiple clicks to power up. Since it has sprung apart and been clicked back, I haven't seen that again, but it was super infrequent before anyway.

I'm definitely getting tan ABV too, but strong effects and lots of vapour. But not entirely what I was expecting.

Nope doesn’t change anything
I have had to RMA a charger before, they're not impervious to faults. Sounds like it could need replacement. Do you have any other way to charge the batteries?

mushlove2u

hmm, maybe there are more widespread back-end issues than I thought.

Who has a good dial? How good is it?

I have a bunch of dials to go back and forth between and the io I have is seemingly fused in place by comparison, it's dodgy.

I haven't seen much issue with the switch function, there were a couple of times it turned on by itself or requied multiple clicks to power up. Since it has sprung apart and been clicked back, I haven't seen that again, but it was super infrequent before anyway.

I'm definitely getting tan ABV too, but strong effects and lots of vapour. But not entirely what I was expecting.

I have had to RMA a charger before, they're not impervious to faults. Sounds like it could need replacement. Do you have any other way to charge the batteries?
I do, (still getting less than 2 cycles on a full charge) that’s how I know it’s at least working! Avb is pretty light here as well.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@mushlove2u Try clicking your hopper io on and let the auto shutoff turn the device off. Then try recharging. I had a weird instance like that with my Grasshopper once and that fixed it. The clicker is an actual clicker that switches between two positions, it’s not a simple switch. It used to be that if you let it time out and automatically shutoff you would have to click it twice to start it up again. Once for the off position and once again for on. They changed that with later revisions to the Grasshopper and my io is the same way. There is still a subtle difference. In the “on” position the hopper io turns on as soon as the clicker is fully depressed. In the “off” position it doesn’t turn on until the clicker is released. It’s a fraction of a second difference but nevertheless noticeable.

Vapinski

Just wanted to drop by and give Hopper Labs some love for surviving long enough to create the second rendition of this beautiful vaporizer.

Aside from longevity worries, the io may look the same but all the little details that went into improving from the original are such a huge difference. Battery life/gold plating, instant heating, back end threading, button; it feels like a device that will last. My OG’s always seemed so finicky and cheap. Only time will tell, but two weeks in and she’s humming.

Really hoping this is it for the company and it will gain some more praise. We all know the story with them and while it did affect a lot of people, money was lost, damage was done- you have to believe that the company never wanted to do such things to others. They wanted to put out the best vaporizer in the world: it came with a lot of mistakes and missteps. They are a tiny company built from Kickstarter and had no chance once things started to fall apart, but remember that all they want to do is provide us with an amazing product, they are not evil people trying to run away with our money.
Life happened and bad luck was abundant. Some of the actions through all the pains are not to be ignored, but it is okay to let go and just believe in people. I hope they make it and keep being able to provide us with innovative products and we all learn from the hard times. It is difficult for myself to not support because nothing compares to this io in my book so the only way is to take the good with the bad.

Oh and if anyone in this group is in desperate need of some batteries for Hopper juice, I have some used older ones that I can part with. All in fine enough condition and working order. Let me know.

Last edited:

Macicman

Just wanted to drop by and give Hopper Labs some praise for surviving long enough to create the second rendition of this beautiful vaporizer.

Aside from longevity worries, the io may look the same but all the little details that went into improving from the original are such a huge difference. Battery life/gold plating, instant heating, back end threading, button; it feels like a device that will last. My OG’s always seemed so finicky and cheap. Only time will tell, but two weeks in and she’s humming.

Really hoping this is it for the company and it will gain some more praise. We all know the story with them and while it did affect a lot of people, money was lost, damage was done- you have to believe that the company never wanted to do such things to others. They wanted to put out the best vaporizer in the world: it came with a lot of mistakes and missteps. They are a tiny company built from Kickstarter and had no chance once things started to fall apart, but remember that all they want to do is provide us with an amazing product, they are not evil people trying to run away with our money.
Life happened and bad luck was abundant. Some of the actions through all the pains are not to be ignored, but it is okay to let go and just believe in people. I hope they make it and keep being able to provide us with innovative products and we all learn from the hard times. It is difficult for myself to not support because nothing compares to this io in my book so the only way is to take the good with the bad.

Oh and if anyone in this group is in desperate need of some batteries for Hopper juice, I have some used older ones that I can part with. All in fine enough condition and working order. Let me know.
Face it. The DopeGun(TM) IO has zero competition.

YetAnotherUsername

Youngster vaporist
I really hate the new FC look, where is the thread / user search field? Anyway, I came back to also give praise to Hopper Labs.

I will post a short review in a couple of days, but here are my main thoughts after using the IO for the past 2 days:
  • It took 60 days in transit to arrive in Europe. Do not loose hope. Blame Trump and USPS ;).
  • I still stand by Hopper Labs <3, as I had many more faulty Crafty vapes than hoppers. S&B is a much bigger company but still failed me much more often. With hopper having the lifetime warranty, all things considered, I'm better off with hopper than buying a new Crafty every 2 years.
  • This thing rips! I used to use my hoper exclusively through glass. Now I enjoy same size of clouds via native use!
  • Truly is instant on. I still catch myself waiting for the blue light ;)
  • No learning curve. OG Hopper needed a good pack and some priming hits. IO hits like a pipe. This is the vape to convert smokers!
  • Airflow feels 2x as big, compared to the OG hopper. INCREDIBLE!
  • Battery lasts for 2-3 bowls (my OG hopper lasts 1-2 bowls of my use).
Most importantly I feel like the IO bridges the gap between OG hopper native use vs glass. Via native use I could never get through my tolerance, while through glass I just get wrecked and numb. Definietly stoney and couch locked. Now with the IO I finally can use proper doses, since it really hits just as good no matter what you throw at it. Me being a "cloud chaser" I always needed some visual confirmation to the vaping ritual. And now the IO lets me be a trully functional pothead. I even got the loughs again ;)

I have two minor issues which I intented to investigate via search function but I can't find it here anymore... Perhaps anyone will be able to help?

• Sometimes I need to click the button a couple times for it to turn off / turn on. Is this due to me not pressing hard enough? No biggie anyway.
  • The taste - how do y'all manage to get tasty hits with such short vapor path? Same as with OG hopper, I really mostly just feel heat and dry mouth. Maybe some flavor with the first hit, but I can smell it much better if someone else vapes, so it must be related to high temperature. I always have some water when vaping but it doesnt help with the taste. Maybe ice cold or hot water is better? Anyone has simmilar issues with tasting vapor in general? Session vapes like Crafty and EQ with longer vapor path have much more flavor in my experience, but there must be a solution for the hopper... am i right? Is it just about taking smaller hits perhaps?

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I recently shared my io with a friend that smokes and dabs. I let him have the first hit of every chamber, he was very impressed with the flavor at temp setting four. Each time he took his second hit he said he was good to go for a while. That’s how I roll too, one or two good hits and I’m good for a little bit. I was using the PFE and heat or battery life wasn’t an issue at all, I actually left it on and running for each 3-4 Hit mini session. I had my Vaporscope Hybrid with me but we didn’t even need it. My friend was also impressed with the speed and ease of use. Not bad for a first demo, especially since I’m using two year old batteries.

:dog:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@Uridium Your unit may be faulty. It may also be the case that your frontend screen is loose. I had the same thing happen to my Ti Grasshopper once, it took a while to figure it out.

If the screen is loose you aren’t able to screw the frontend on fully and it leaves a small gap. That small gap is where I would feel the electricity and burning sensation. It is instant and very strong, not like touching a hot backend for example. It also mainly occurs when powering the unit on. Try tightening the frontend screen with precision tweezers.

Last edited:

fogbank

Burnt my finger again holding it around the holes. Turned it on and INSTANTLY burned a small patch of skin, there is now a blister.
This worries me as there are users out there that would possibly sue for such things no?

Mia my unit faulty perhaps?

This has me concerned also. I have experienced small but noticeable burns several times with my IO. I really have to avoid the air holes when I'm handling it. It often happens on the first draw, immediately after I click the unit on. @Vapor_Eyes I checked my front end and the screen is not loose. The front end screws all the way onto the body with no significant gap.

It's hard for me to imagine thousands of IO Hoppers in the hands of users with the potential to burn them. The burns that I've experienced were very mild - mostly just annoying. I haven't had one bad enough to blister. But the fact that it can burn you is not a good thing.

Uridium

I love my IO I really do. I waited a freaking long time to get my OG converted to an IO.
I have been hammering it on max for about 2 OZ now, lasted longer than any of my OG’s.
I want to see HL succeed I really do - mainly so I can keep getting batteries for my unit but also the device is near first class.
This burnt finger thing though - that seriously has me worried.
I work with 80*c hot plates regularly and the IO is instantly way over that.
I’m pretty sure it’s not an electrical shock - that doesn’t leave a surface blister like the one I had the other day.

yeah I was holding it by the front end but damn - there is no warning it’s - well - instant on 😵

so I know that not one of my OG’s did this.

my front screen is seated well BTW, not that it really makes a difference.

I can feel a tinymight coming my way....

slozukimc

I love my IO I really do. I waited a freaking long time to get my OG converted to an IO.
I have been hammering it on max for about 2 OZ now, lasted longer than any of my OG’s.
I want to see HL succeed I really do - mainly so I can keep getting batteries for my unit but also the device is near first class.
This burnt finger thing though - that seriously has me worried.
I work with 80*c hot plates regularly and the IO is instantly way over that.
I’m pretty sure it’s not an electrical shock - that doesn’t leave a surface blister like the one I had the other day.

yeah I was holding it by the front end but damn - there is no warning it’s - well - instant on 😵

so I know that not one of my OG’s did this.

my front screen is seated well BTW, not that it really makes a difference.

I can feel a tinymight coming my way....
Mine has burnt me too. I pay very close attention to where I hold it. The OG nibbled. These fuckers just plain chomp.

Baron23

Sometimes I need to click the button a couple times for it to turn off / turn on. Is this due to me not pressing hard enough?
In my opinion, no....this is due to them incorporating a crappy mechanical switch that is better suited for the end of a BiC pen.

My OG does it also.

@Vitolo - Yes, I'm very critical of the company, having worked for decades as a program manager in very high tech and therefore having great familiarity with the design/test/manf/QA/CS disciplines and processes that they just seem to fuck up on a regular basis.

However, my OG GH ran very well for almost 18 months of fairly regular use. I have opined, on more than one occasion, that this really is a fairly good life span for an appliance like this and that lifetime warranties, while good marketing, are really unrealistic and unmanageable (can you imagine a 22 y.o. buying one...just one...and expecting it to be replace for their entire 90 year + life span? Yes, ridiculous. )

But, Hopper offered this warranty so I and others availed ourselves of it. Like others, I found the RMA process...and in particular their fault isolation, repair, and test to be wholly inadequate (that is, multiple RMAs to finally getting it working again...they cannot tell me with a straight face that they tested these non-performing RMA returns. They may have done some process or procedure, but it sure as fuck didn't test that the damn thing was heating adequately.

But, for 18 months, the device rocked and now after about a year of messing with RMAs, one of the two (my OG one) works wonderfully with the exception of the incredibly stupid on/off mechanism they put in it.

So, I guess I'm agreeing with you....they work wonderfully...until they don't. Then, good luck.

Cheers

fogbank

@Uridium I tried to replicate this behavior with both my io and GH and couldn’t get it hot at all. I even tried unscrewing the frontend to various positions. I would contact HL about a replacement. A Tinymight would make a good backup.
I just finished two draws on my IO at 3.5 on the dial. As I have come to expect I got two great hits.

But more to the point - on both draws I carefully felt around the intake holes with my fingers, being ready to withdraw my fingers at any sign of heat. I detected no unusual heat (just slight warmth). I felt up and down the length of the IO but still didn't detect any unusual heat.

Still, I have experienced mild burns at least 3-4 times during past sessions. It seems random, but it probably is not(?)

I rotate multiple batteries through my Hoppers, so that is one variable that I have not controlled. Also I started my last session at 3.5. Normally I start a bowl at 2.5 and temp step one setting after each session, so this was the second session of this bowl. I seem to feel that I've been burned on the first session at temp 2.5 in the past, not the second session at 3.5. But that is still a variable that I have not controlled.

The more that I experience it the more it seems like the "flashing hot back end" issue with the OG Hoppers. It only happens sometimes, and it feels like a "flash" of heat. The IO burn seems hotter (and more painful) though, whereas the OG burn seemed more like a "shock" and a slight burn. Oh and of course on the OG it happens on the backend, but on the IO it happens near the air intake holes.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I rotate multiple batteries through my Hoppers, so that is one variable that I have not controlled. Also I started my last session at 3.5. Normally I start a bowl at 2.5 and temp step one setting after each session, so this was the second session of this bowl. I seem to feel that I've been burned on the first session at temp 2.5 in the past, not the second session at 3.5. But that is still a variable that I have not controlled.

The more that I experience it the more it seems like the "flashing hot back end" issue with the OG Hoppers. It only happens sometimes, and it feels like a "flash" of heat. The IO burn seems hotter (and more painful) though, whereas the OG burn seemed more like a "shock" and a slight burn. Oh and of course on the OG it happens on the backend, but on the IO it happens near the air intake holes.
Sorry to hear this. Does the increased heat happen toward the end of a battery run? I noticed this a lot with my pre order Ti both before and after its lone RMA. I get great hits on low temps similar to your without the unit getting very warm and then it could happen on the same temp another time. I don’t temp as much with my Hopper (though I’m try to be more conscious of it as it may mitigate the situation a bit) but do run it as high as 3.5 natively and it gets warm then and a bit hotter when taking quick back-to-back draws and, I believe, when the batt is near dead. Just a casual observation over 4 years (minus 1 in RMA-ville) of owning mine and with several different batches of batteries. Sigh - the bane of my Hopper existence. Maybe the io suffers the same thing, but only hotter? Ouch.

I rarely keep my fingers near the air holes and more toward the backend. My fingers do get too warm on occasion and, once in a blue moon, a tad too hot to hold. And speaking of which I’ll continue to hold on buying an io. :2c: :peace: :peace:

Macicman

I recently shared my io with a friend that smokes and dabs. I let him have the first hit of every chamber, he was very impressed with the flavor at temp setting four. Each time he took his second hit he said he was good to go for a while. That’s how I roll too, one or two good hits and I’m good for a little bit. I was using the PFE and heat or battery life wasn’t an issue at all, I actually left it on and running for each 3-4 Hit mini session. I had my Vaporscope Hybrid with me but we didn’t even need it. My friend was also impressed with the speed and ease of use. Not bad for a first demo, especially since I’m using two year old batteries.

:dog:
Three at the most, and then the load is cooked. OK, maybe 4.

Top Bottom