Discontinued Hopper io

WhyAreWeWaiting

Just got another automatic email from USPS telling me the package has left the Chicago International Distribution Center for the 3rd time today.

Yes, it just occurred to me after my last post......I was wondering how you can tell it was in/out of Chi town if not sent with tracking number.

Like I said, HL and maybe via @VGOODIEZ will have to solve this for you, I believe.

Reaching USPS via the phone is a waste of time, I believe.

PM @VGOODIEZ. I'm sure he or HL can help you.
Cheers Ste. I raised it on the warranty, I emailed Hopper Support, I messaged Steve @VGOODIEZ . I even asked my cousin in New York to phone USPS for me. Waiting to hear back from any of them. I think my IO is gone into the USPS Twilight Zone never to seen or heard from again.

WhyAreWeWaiting,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Ok, just thought I'd pop in and provide an update here, as I've been in discussions with HL support, and I have to say, they've done everything they can to make me a happy customer, have been responsive, and made me a reasonable offer on credit for the exchange of my SS Hopper.

So based on that, and the other communications I have had as of late with them, I now have a Hopper IO on the way.

MoltenTiger

Ok, just thought I'd pop in and provide an update here, as I've been in discussions with HL support, and I have to say, they've done everything they can to make me a happy customer, have been responsive, and made me a reasonable offer on credit for the exchange of my SS Hopper.

So based on that, and the other communications I have had as of late with them, I now have a Hopper IO on the way.
Good to hear dude, I hope you get a golden egg and can chill in peace as if the shadier times never happened, sometime soon. The shadows prove the sunshine. If the legacy unit was what it took to cause the io to be, well then so fucken be it I say.

This thing is just amazing, unimaginable to me, yet in hand it's just fantastic, no not perfect, fucking fantastic. Very familiar, but better. Still getting use to the white lights, but it is making my boro and me delighted.

The back-end on mine #294 has popped off twice, but I think I 'undid' it, and that it has a pin loose(?) which explains why it has rattled since I got it.

I had to wait damn near 3 months for USPS and AusPost to get it to me, and it got a little abuse in customs, they ripped everything open for inspection and managed to leave a little tell tale wear on every bloody item the scoundrels.

The box was slashed through the bottom, and on the top of the nice io packaging (should be a drawer but) there was a big depression that perfectly outlines the clip - so somehow that happened, which has got to have put some undue stress on the back-end.

No big deal really, but I can't easily change temps one handed, a fair yet pedantic complaint I suppose. When it gets a bit stuck, that's when I start spinning it backwards and forwards and fairly aggressively, that's how it has come undone. But it clicks back together and is much smoother after, but still with the rattle, and compared to my HT GH back-end, well that is actually an incredibly nice dial and is amazingly smooth. Super easy one handed usage, handy for mid hit adjustment and more.

Hopefully that's what the retail io's are like. Mine is prerelease, and may be completely hand made, I commented at one point about conformal coating, I was wrong but mine has a bit of flux splatter and iron marks. Could just be from there wicked auto front end assembly solderer robot, whatever the case, the front end is quite awesome.

You can get stung if you blast a few chambers and while doing so touch below the light/intake holes. Hurts, it's gotta be pushing 70° C maybe, it takes a bit to get there, but the hits are so good and on tap, so easy enough to do. I'll have to borrow the Flir from work sometime to watch it in action.

Point is, it is powerful, and fast. Vapour pours out in a way I haven't noticed before with the legacy.
It's super similar, like SS or Ti sort of stuff.

I've never used a Ti dynavap just the 17 M, I think there's going to be noticeable differences for someone like me, and I think there is enough difference in the io to trade in a legacy if you can work out a deal where everyone is happy, the recipient is never going to regret it.

If shit hits the fan with my io, I'm buying another one immediately and tiding over with a legacy.

The io is giving very consistent ABV producing very pleasant, tasty vapour with strong enough effects.

_20200721_215141.JPG

That shows some ABV from the last couple of days (well, nights) it's a bit of a mix, but there's a fair bit that finished on T5 in there.
It's not the darkest ABV but it's even, and with a nice healthy level of extraction.

Using the Sublimator might put the cloud production to shame and defines perfect ABV, but the io does a different job (and you could say the same for the io compared with most vapes including desktops, the io is no slouch), and you will never be able to pocket a sublimator. It's the perfect pair. My warranty replaced older style Monkey Controller's days are numbered, and I'll get the Orion when necessary.

It's just incredible being able to get this much joy and efficacy from just a pinch of plant matter. There's a lot to be said about the right tool for the job. With how convenient the io is, it's a must have.

I've had mine a little over 4 weeks now, and what a blast it has been.

I hope it lasts like my HT legacy, which is almost 3. It will sure be interesting to see what happens and just wtf is going on in 2023. We might need to RMA society and/or the planet in that time frame.

Last edited:

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
After an evening with the Hopper IO in my lab I must say this vape is everything I ever wanted. This is the first time I'm truly blown away by a vape. I didn't expect it would kick my ass as much as it did. For it's size, it's a monster. I used it dry in a Sneaky Pete globe with glass balls inside and the taste was amazing, the hit was barely felt in my throat and my lungs, but thrust me I felt it in my head. I decided to start very slow and since I didn't know how to pack my herb I've put only one small scoop in it, and the effects I got after I was done were so good, I can see myself using this to micro-dose quickly instead of my Vapcap. When I checked my AVB everything was evenly roasted, nice dark color, it was then I realized how small of a load I've put in it versus the effects I was getting. Of course the only thing logical to do was to see what this thing could do with a packed bowl and I was not let down. Same complete extraction, even more intense taste, I tried every heat setting and each time I got a nice big cloud of vapor.

I understand now why even with the reputation Hopper Labs has for having a never ending list of problems, people still buy their vapes. Even if they have one that don't work, they still get a second one, it's that good. Now I hope I wont fall in the same pattern, I already plan on getting a colored one when they get available but this all could change if my unit start having problems, time will tell but I plan on using the thing every day so it should see a lot of action.

Before I go I'm curious how do you use the Hopper in regards to temperature? Do you ramp up the heat during the session or do you stay at a specific heat setting. I did ramp up the heat but I 'm scared I'm gonna break the thing if I keep adjusting the temperature while I'm doing my session. Do I worry too much?

fogbank

You can get stung if you blast a few chambers and while doing so touch below the light/intake holes. Hurts, it's gotta be pushing 70° C maybe, it takes a bit to get there, but the hits are so good and on tap, so easy enough to do.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to experience this. It doesn't take a few chambers for me, I have experienced it on the first hit of a new chamber. I've actually experienced a mild burn on my thumb from touching the IO near the intake holes while drawing.

This is a different experience than the (flashing) hot back end on the OG. It seems more like straight heat, whereas the hot back end on the OG always felt a little bit like electricity and heat combined.

This does not seem to affect the performance of my IO. It is still producing great hits.

@The Chemist - I temp step from 2 to 3 to 4, using each setting for one session of about two draws each.

slozukimc

After an evening with the Hopper IO in my lab I must say this vape is everything I ever wanted. This is the first time I'm truly blown away by a vape. I didn't expect it would kick my ass as much as it did. For it's size, it's a monster. I used it dry in a Sneaky Pete globe with glass balls inside and the taste was amazing, the hit was barely felt in my throat and my lungs, but thrust me I felt it in my head. I decided to start very slow and since I didn't know how to pack my herb I've put only one small scoop in it, and the effects I got after I was done were so good, I can see myself using this to micro-dose quickly instead of my Vapcap. When I checked my AVB everything was evenly roasted, nice dark color, it was then I realized how small of a load I've put in it versus the effects I was getting. Of course the only thing logical to do was to see what this thing could do with a packed bowl and I was not let down. Same complete extraction, even more intense taste, I tried every heat setting and each time I got a nice big cloud of vapor.

I understand now why even with the reputation Hopper Labs has for having a never ending list of problems, people still buy their vapes. Even if they have one that don't work, they still get a second one, it's that good. Now I hope I wont fall in the same pattern, I already plan on getting a colored one when they get available but this all could change if my unit start having problems, time will tell but I plan on using the thing every day so it should see a lot of action.

Before I go I'm curious how do you use the Hopper in regards to temperature? Do you ramp up the heat during the session or do you stay at a specific heat setting. I did ramp up the heat but I 'm scared I'm gonna break the thing if I keep adjusting the temperature while I'm doing my session. Do I worry too much?
I think adjusting the temp here and there helps keep contacts cleaner. Just be gentle.

Try a full load with a gentle pack on a big bong if you have one. The power is incredible.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Fellow complainer here, but also with recent great experience with HL. I recently received a new io (also on a reasonable trade in - of 2 og's and a little cash). It had some issues, and I did wait a little while for response, as I was asked, and I have now been informed that a new io is going to be sent out and I should return the other one.
This was smooth and qualifies as a top-notch c/s experience.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Been having trouble with the button on my io since I received it. Having to click it multiple times and sometimes hold it to turn it on or off, and just barely touching the button and having it turn on. Finally got tired of it, unscrewed the back in, clicked it a couple hundred times, blew some air duster in it, and so far it has been working absolutely perfectly. The io has held up better than any hopper I've had yet. Definitely my favorite vape, especially now that the button seems to be sorted. Now if only HL would replace my OG hopper I sent in a year go for repair I'd be set.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I just wanted to let everyone know that I am buried in work right now (working about 70 hours a week in my day job and then VGoodiez on top of that). With that there has and will be some delay in response. But I will get to you and don't be afraid to go directly to Hopper.

The Chemist

I finally sent them an email about my missing PFE yesterday, they responded today. They will send me one this week, It should have been in the box but was missing, not a big deal these thing happen. I also registered my Hopper IO, when I first contacted them they replied with the generic we are busy and will get to you ASAP but they also asked if I contacted them for the warranty to just give them the email address from my account and the serial number of the device. I just checked my account and my Hopper is now registered. I must say so far the CS is not so bad, now lets see how long it will take before I get my PFE.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
That does not sound 'reasonable' to me.:2c:
I actually feel a little chagrined, after I kvetched for months about being left behind by HL, etc. -- and I was also not impressed by their offer to others of $80 for trading in ss og's.
If I had purchased my og's more recently and paid even near-retail pricing, I would be less pleased by the trade offer.

However, the 2 I traded were both pre-order ss Grasshoppers I received in 2016. My original purchase price was $135 each and I was just given $80 ea. back, so $55 ea. was my cost (plus rma shippings/repair time) for the several years that I used them. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

The Chemist

Looks like my unit won't change the batteries properly. When I put the magnetic charger on the Hopper the lights will flash a couple of times than nothing. It will work just long enough that you think everything is good but when you look at it again later you realize nothing was charging at all. I tried it with two batteries and same result. Not a problem because I was planning on using an external charger anyway but it's still infuriating that the Hopper wont work as intended. If it's the only problem my Hopper has, I wont send it for repair yet, unless this is just the tip of the iceberg and more problems are on the way.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Looks like my unit won't change the batteries properly. When I put the magnetic charger on the Hopper the lights will flash a couple of times than nothing. It will work just long enough that you think everything is good but when you look at it again later you realize nothing was charging at all. I tried it with two batteries and same result. Not a problem because I was planning on using an external charger anyway but it's still infuriating that the Hopper wont work as intended. If it's the only problem my Hopper has, I wont send it for repair yet, unless this is just the tip of the iceberg and more problems are on the way.
This is what my new io was doing, the included charger would not work -- whether on the io or an og.
The io would charge on one of my og mag chargers (an old 2-lead v1) but not on another (an old single lead v2).
When I wrote to support, they said that if the included charger was not working, the charger and the io should be returned. They are sending me a new one, then I can return the 'bad' charger and io.

The Chemist

This is what my new io was doing, the included charger would not work -- whether on the io or an og.
The io would charge on one of my og mag chargers (an old 2-lead v1) but not on another (an old single lead v2).
When I wrote to support, they said that if the included charger was not working, the charger and the io should be returned. They are sending me a new one, then I can return the 'bad' charger and io.
Ok that is interesting, I didn't want to send them my Hopper just to wait for it to be repaired for something I wont use but if this is the new policy for broken units then I might email support and see what they tell me. After all you can never be too careful and one problem might hide another one so thanks for sharing that I will look into it soon.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
My back end came apart earlier. It got super tough to adjust the temp then it just all popped out. Managed to get it back together and the dial is smooth again, hope it lasts.

qk9bni.jpg

MoltenTiger

That seems to happen a lot...is the old style clicker just a stoopid idea to start with?
It's seems to be happening to HT002xx pre-release units

And it is a bit silly. The click is loud for a stealth vape, and all it is is a power button. It's an example of where building something without any off-the-shelf parts could fairly be considered an unnecessary hassle.

It does the job, but so would any switch suitable for a beefy current.

As long as the faults are away from the front side, and they can be fixed, not a huge ordeal.

Last edited:

The Chemist

I guess you've tried replugging the USB-A side with the magnetic ring attached to the unit? Sometimes it takes this extra step to begin the charge cycle
When I put the charging cable on the Hopper the light will flash but everything stop after one or two minutes and I didn't touch the cable or the vape. So to be clear the contact is made between the cable and the Hopper, it's the Hopper that wont continue to charge after it start. :shrug:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
When I put the charging cable on the Hopper the light will flash but everything stop after one or two minutes and I didn't touch the cable or the vape. So to be clear the contact is made between the cable and the Hopper, it's the Hopper that wont continue to charge after it start. :shrug:
There has been some instruction (and a small add-on label in my io box to this effect) that the cable may need to be unplugged and re-plugged at the usb end. I believe this is what @MoltenTiger was asking about. For me, this did not resolve the issue.

The Chemist

@vapviking Good to know but if I remember correctly I did that and it didn't work, I even plug it on my power bank and same results. But I will try it again next time I need to recharge the batteries, we'll see if it makes a difference for both of them. I will also try to put the magnetic end on the Hopper and plugging the USB part after to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom