Discontinued Hopper io

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
When i charge the ghb3 in the nitecore i4 do i need to change any settings or does it automatically switch down to 3.7v?

Zuhdj,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hopper IO is the best portable vape by far. It has zero competition that isn't both twice as long, or three times as wide. MADE IN THE USA!
That's very true . . when it's working.
Half of the time it's the best portable vape around, and half of the time it's not even on the list...at least this has been my experience.
My 4 day old Hopper io suffered a minor fall yesterday and stopped working. Plus, the charger is non-functional out of the box.
Yes I guess I should clarify. The io parts work with the OG but the opposite is not likely.
The new io body is working okay when I attach one of my og Gh back ends...go figgur.
Probably not up to full spec (as HL mentioned a while back this would be the case), but it is showing me that the io body is likely okay.

Has anyone else tried an og back end on an io body, or vice versa?

slozukimc

Half of the time it's the best portable vape around, and half of the time it's not even on the list...at least this has been my experience.
My 4 day old Hopper io suffered a minor fall yesterday and stopped working. Plus, the charger is non-functional out of the box.

The new io body is working okay when I attach one of my og Gh back ends...go figgur.
Probably not up to full spec (as HL mentioned a while back this would be the case), but it is showing me that the io body is likely okay.

Has anyone else tried an og back end on an io body, or vice versa?
I tried my IO back end on my grey Ti body and it is a cloud ripping monster. The IO is beginning to act like every other Hopper. Doesn’t turn on or off when clicked several times, turning on when button is only bumped and erratic battery life/performance due to dirty contacts. I hope I can get @Hopper Labs @VGOODIEZ to warranty it when it quits altogether seeing I got it from a friend. 🙄

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
How can i make sure my batteries don't get messed up? If the charger automatically adjusted voltages shouldn't the battery have lasted longer than a week of moderate usage (3-4 bowls a day)

Zuhdj,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
MADE IN THE USA!
Except the batteries.

Sorry to hear of several issues with several folks’ io’s. I’ll still wait on this. I’m not convinced yet. I want one but...

Also got 5 new batts earlier this week - matt finish (it appears but not by much IMO) and “GBH2” on them. 2 in current battery rotation with my legacy Hopper. They seem to be running well and consistent with each other and a bit better than my older ones. At least my Ti runs better with the new ones and doesn’t get as hot. 99% of the time I use my Nitecore chargers and have never had an issue charging batteries this way (it also charges 18650s for my Tinymight). I’ve had bad Hopper batteries in the past out of the gate similar to what @Zuhdj described. Further lending credence to my decision to wait on the io.

Cheers.
:peace:

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
How can i make sure my batteries don't get messed up? If the charger automatically adjusted voltages shouldn't the battery have lasted longer than a week of moderate usage (3-4 bowls a day)
I am headed to the PO momentarily to ship the two batteries you ordered. I am including an extra to cover the cell you are talking about here. I'm not 100% sure you fit within the battery warranty window but either way Trevor gave me the discretion to take care of people as I see fit so that's what I'm doing here. As a reminder here is the battery coverage window and expectations for anyone seeking battery replacements based on Hoppers recommendation following the fire:

Batteries are covered for 2 weeks from when they are shipped out. After that they are not covered for any reason. The only batteries that will be replaced where shipped in Sept, Oct,Nov of 2019 and have BOTH (GHB2 and Made in China on the label). There are over 120k batteries with GHB2 that do not have "Made in china" on the label. These are not coverd and do not have any known issues.

I am also taking care of you directly because Trevor indicated he is dealing with a family situation and would not be able to provide much support for the next 3-5 days. I don't think there is anything you did wrong here but of course contact me if I can help further.

Last edited:

Guest399

I am interested in how long a new fresh battery will last in the Hopper io with you all.

So how many bowls do you get with a fresh new battery in the Hopper io? I get exactly 4 bowls with my best battery.

Last edited:

Reefer Fiend

Lovin' Life
I ordered 6 batteries from HL that were shipped to me in November 2019. Subsequently, I received instructions from HL to immediately dispose of the batteries. I saved the batteries but did not use them, all of which were marked 'GHB2' and 'Made in China'. Will replacement batteries be automatically sent to me when new ones are available, presumably in August, or do I need to file a claim to receive the replacements?

Macicman

"Made in the USA", except for the batteries. I am not a rocket scientist, I'm a roofer. China screwed hopper labs like they screwed the rest of us

I am interested in how long a new fresh battery will last in the Hopper io with you all.

So how many bowls do you get with a fresh new battery in the Hopper io? I get exactly 4 bowls with my best battery.
So at least 3 drain to dust loads.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I am not a rocket scientist, I'm a roofer. China screwed hopper labs like they screwed the rest of us
Please don't go there.
We've all agreed to stay in the shallow end of the pool, like, 4ft, No Diving, No Politics.

Let's talk about the dope gun. Have you read about my new one that doesn't work? Actually, the body does and the new ghb3 made in China battery does, but the back end doesn't, nor does the charger.

I am enjoying using the body & battery fitted with a green ti og b/end. Temp settings seem to run true to the b/end from what I can tell. Where I used 2.5 on the io seems similar to 3.5 on the og. After two chambers the b/end gets hot; that was not happening even on fourth chamber with the io b/e.

The io front end seems unchanged to me, it gets too hot after one or two draws so I/m using my usual pfe with drip tip (or pfe & bubbler).
The io draw is more open than the Grasshoppers I have on hand, but their draws have both degraded over time. I have always been delighted with a new og or when one returns from rma and has such an open draw.
I would not be able to tell whether io draw is improved unless I had a brand new one of each model in my hands.

We have high hopes (and the io shows promise) in the "less finicky/more reliable" department.

I understand that Trevor is currently dealing with some personal issues (hope all is okay) and so I am giving lots of leeway on hearing back from anyone (you too, @VGOODIEZ ) on my issue.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I also have high hopes. I've actually stopped worrying about doing everything so particularly to take care of my hopper. It seems like i can just use it worry free. My battery issue was the nitecore i4. PSA: if you use a nitecore i series charger it doesn't automatically change settings for these batteries. Do it manually. Prospects seem good. Hopefully they hire some more people to do the stiff they can't. Hopper engineers made a great device. They need more people to handle the business aspect of things it seems

MoltenTiger

The Hopper io continues to be as brilliant and impressive as ever for me. I have had back-end issues as previously mentioned, I suspect the 0002xx pre-release back ends are suffering from a similar problem - hopefully it is limited and not affecting newer production units. My dial can become quite stuck or jammed and it partiallly popped apart once, after clicking it back in place it has been okay but a far cry from my amazingly glassy smooth 2018 HT GH dial.
I tried that on the io and although it worked, the temp spectrum seemed different (cooler running io on 1 and not as hot at 5 compared with default back-end).
After a fair few tokes it was obviously heating up and bottlenecking the power, so I swapped it back.

The io back end didn't seem to change the performance of the legacy unit but maybe I'll try that again because I can't really remember now.

I haven't really said much about the io which wasn't my intention, but it really has just been the best thing with my busier schedule these days.

After witnessing what it can do to someone with 0% tolerance, it is beyond remarkable I suppose.

I keep on using it just as I have been vaping for several years now, it is effectively the same as the Grasshopper, but it offers even more vapour volume at a faster rate.
It is akin to a dialled in hot running GH but better still.

It won't ever be able to produce the absolutely unthinkable monster clouds the Sublimator pumps out. But it has closed the gap between it and my legacy units. It has pulled a rabbit out of the hat in terms of efficacy even when compared to hot running monster legacy Grasshoppers. The vapour just seems to pour better and you can intake it more rapidly and with overall better consistency.

I can only imagine what GHB3s and the MaxPower adapter will offer and it is a great thing to look forward to. As bad as history can be, it's nice to have a bunch to look forward to, because when you expect every surprise you can't be let down, only super appreciable of this tech, a crazy realised concept and the chance to use it.

I feel privileged to be enjoying this thing and as always I am hoping for the best for the offerers of this magic and I really hope no more spanners are thrown in the works and that they find peace and success, because to me they outrageously deserve it.

It's a pity the NFC image uploading never made it to FC, the previous method is totally broken

sketch-1593009528976.png

Last edited:

dac13

I've been very happy with the IO, but it seems to already be having issues. Charging cords that work fine with my GH's are only charging the IO about 50% of the time, the other 50% they flash for the first few times and then shut down. It's inconsistent and annoying. Nothing like grabbing it on the way out the door only to find it's still not charged up. Has anyone else seen this? I have always used a stand alone charger in the past, seldomly the cord until the IO.

I had an issue with mine charging as well - I'm not sure if yours is having the same issue but it sounds like it.

If it is charging correctly - it should be blinking every 2-3 seconds - then once its full it will double blink every 2-3 second.

Sometimes I plug it in and it will blink every 10 seconds - this means it is not charging correctly and after 10 blinks it will stop blinking.

To fix it - unplug the hopper - turn it on and off - then replug it in again. It will start blinking every 2-3 seconds AKA charging correctly. If it doesn't repeat this once or twice.

Mine still does this every couple times I plug it in to charge, so I always wait a couple seconds and make sure its doing the 2-3 second blink - or like you stated you will come back hours later to an uncharged hopper that isn't blinking at all

Guest399

yesterday and today i had some small problems with my io.
When I wanted to turn it on, he didn't goes on a few times despite the full battery. Afterwards he went again. Later he did not go out when he was on when I switched him off a few times. he just stayed on and it just helped to unscrew the backend. but that was only once. I will keep an eye on it.
Edit: For now i love my Hopper io and i am thinking to buy a second one next months :)

Dargin B

If I order a new Titanium Hopper today from @VGOODIEZ is there a new style battery in it? Are the most recent ones doing better? I can't tell from this thread...

Are the batteries proprietary?

Dargin B,

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
If I order a new Titanium Hopper today from @VGOODIEZ is there a new style battery in it? Are the most recent ones doing better? I can't tell from this thread...

Are the batteries proprietary?
It is a GHB3 battery (new one) but has an old GHB2 label on it. And yes it seems to be a bit better, especially in the hopper. Max on the OG was in the ballpark of 3 sessions. I am getting 4-6 depending on temps and such. And yes the batteries are proprietary.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It is a GHB3 battery (new one) but has an old GHB2 label on it. And yes it seems to be a bit better, especially in the hopper. Max on the OG was in the ballpark of 3 sessions. I am getting 4-6 depending on temps and such. And yes the batteries are proprietary.
I had recently posted remarks to the effect, "batteries are not proprietary," and I began to question my memory on that, now here we have @VGOODIEZ saying the opposite.

I searched a little and found this post from Trevor, from Nov. 2019;

So, yes, "The battery does use proprietary chemistry..."
But no, "The battery size is not "proprietary" in that it is not protected by patent and could be produced by anyone." (There simply is not a big enough market atm for anyone except HL to want to do that.)

My recall had been that it would be allowable for anyone to make a battery of same size, just with not exactly the same chemistry and while that is roughly correct, there is clearly an aspect of the battery that is proprietary.

There had been some comments suggesting the the word "proprietary" might have different meanings. In this use, it means having ownership of 'intellectual property', like a patent.
From Miriam Webster;
: something that is used, produced, or marketed under exclusive legal right of the inventor or maker specifically

Top Bottom