Discontinued Hopper io

Stonedbadger

Those with problems with their IO's, have you contacted HL? And if so have you heard back?

It's a real shame that Hooper Labs stopped posting. I'm sure that we would all like some clarity on the above issues.

Otherwise I wonder about how their already fragile reputation will hold up if the new IO also turns out to be a dud

JCat

Accessory Maker
I agree w/ @vapviking above, I think HL started posting on FC just to be able to build-up some hype about the IO to boost sales, and now that they've done that, they've disappeared again so they don't have to answer their customers about their non-existent follow through, horrible support, products that don't work for weeks, let alone months, and so they don't have to answer questions about never honouring the "lifetime warranty" on their products, etc. etc.

I think if one is being realistic about expectations, we can't expect to hear from HL here again at all, or on old FC unless they release yet another vaporizer that they can sell to existing dissapointed owners to replace their existing HL products that don't work and are sitting in drawers or at HL or lost that they never intend on actually fixing.

I'm sure once HL starts "fixing" the OG Hopper's again, they'll just do what they've always done ... nothing ... and send it back unfixed so you can just send it back and forth forever until you get tired of doing so and let it collect dust in a drawer ... as anyone with a conscience can't sell these things 2nd hand for more than the $75 that HL might credit you for an IO. (although I wonder if you have to "register" it so pay the $40 transfer fee if you are not the original owner to get the credit? ie. you can only sell it for $35 so that the buyer can get a $35 credit from HL)

Edit: Until HL can get me working batteries that I've paid for, and can honour the warranties on my OG hoppers, they aren't getting a single penny more from me. I'm hesitant to even spend money on Canada Post shipping in the false hope that sending my device to HL will actually result in it being fixed (after all ... they have a <10% success rate of doing anything to my devices when I send them in ...)

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Mod Note: From Forum Rules:
Don’t attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed.

• If you have an issue with a company, you are allowed one post to describe your problem. The company is permitted one post in response. All subsequent communication about the issue must be confined to PMs or taken offsite.
  • Please do not revisit the issue until it has been resolved. At that point, you can make a post describing the outcome.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Hello FC family,

I will be taking over forum communications for Hopper as part of our overall business relationship. Unfortunately I have been a bit under water with a new job, travel and all the issues I have been working from making announcements on IG and Reddit.

To clarify I don't work for Hopper, I don't make all the decisions, there are a lot of factors going into warranty claims and battery availability. Each case is different and will be handled as such. I don't need any opinions on me getting involved with Hopper. I don't have time to waste. Treat me with respect and I will do the same. I understand frustrations but getting shitty with me is not going to resolve anything. In fact (as some of you already know) I don't respond kindly to nasty bullshit so your likely not to get any response if you go that route.

Again, I'm here to help. I'm here to have your situation individually looked at. Trevor and I have direct communication and a lot to document issues and provide current status. So far it's been effective. Certain issues are getting resolved and at least others are getting current status messages.

Beyond that I want to clear up some of the misinformation being spread here and elsewhere. Hopefully all of this will curb some of the bashing going on here. Again I understand the frustration and have partnered with Hopper to make this right but at some point I hope people recognize and stop this nonsense. Repeatedly complaining about the same things over and over isn't going to solve your problem. In fact it may be a factor in driving them further into the ground and into bankruptcy. So then you will really have no warranty support? Who wants that? So please try to follow the FC rules and put your one experience out there and then move forward. Moving forward and stopping dwelling on the past is the only road to making this work.

Feel free to start pinging me with your open items. Provide as much detail as possible including order numbers or warranty reference numbers. Please don't get upset if there is a slight delay. I'm getting hit all at once and still have other things I'm responsible for.

To clear up the battery situation (and hopefully avoid some PM's on the subject)....GB3's are still in production and impacted by Covid19. No firm delivery date yet. If you have a working Hopper and no working batteries, Hopper wants to take care of you. They will release small quantity orders if you holler at me with your situation and provide an order number. As for replacement batteries, those won't be dealt with until the new batteries are in.

I hope all this helps.

EDIT:
@macbill THANK YOU. Right on time...I was just speaking witha retailer peer who doesn't currently carry the Hopper but feels the same way. Regardless of anyone's perception of our commercial interest I don't feel the activity here reflects the spirit of the FC policies.

Señor Negro

^THAT^ exactly.

It's quite annoying reading the same people over and over and over again talking about the same issues when there are people trying to follow this thread to read about NEW info. Please show some respect for that people, if that's not much asking.
You already made your points but now keep your ranting bs to yourselves and keep the forum clean because in 11 pages of IO thread there are about 5 or 6 about how angry you are with the company and paranoid conspiracy theories instead of real useful info. That goes specially for people who did not even tried the new IO and keep ranting about their OG units.

Last edited:
Señor Negro,
Reactions: VGOODIEZ

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Please do not revisit the issue until it has been resolved. At that point, you can make a post describing the outcome.
I will take this to heart, and I apologize for multiple whiny posts, spanning years.
I will not be revisiting my issues, nor will I post to the Grasshopper or Hopper io threads until I have heard from Hopper Labs and have resolution (maybe not then, either) of at least one of the 5 current open issues I have with the company, some of which also span years.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I will take this to heart, and I apologize for multiple whiny posts, spanning years.
I will not be revisiting my issues, nor will I post to the Grasshopper or Hopper io threads until I have heard from Hopper Labs and have resolution (maybe not then, either) of at least one of the 5 current open issues I have with the company, some of which also span years.
Please shoot me some details and I will see if I can help.

fogbank

My IO is working great so far. I did want to offer a limited comparison between my IO and my OG Hoppers.

My IO extracts efficiently, produces impressive clouds, and stays cool (except for the front end). It has greater air flow than the OG Hoppers.

I have 2 OG Hoppers that seem to run a little "hotter" than the IO, meaning that they result in much darker ABV in fewer draws. I start these two OG Hoppers at 2 or 2.5 on the temp dial. I start my other OG Hoppers at 4.

My IO seems to extract more evenly than my two "hot" OG Hoppers. I start it on 2 for the first session, and step it up to 3 (second session) and 4 (third session). The ABV comes out brown, but not black. My "hot" OG hoppers can easily turn the ABV black in 2 or 3 sessions.

I prefer the even extraction of the IO over the faster extraction of the OG Hoppers. It preserves flavor longer and still results in thorough extraction.

Baron23

It is my personal opinion that the HL’s abysmal performance is still an ongoing train wreck after four plus years and that posts critical of them is not just rehashing old history or undeserved “bashing”.

I will not participate in white washing the situation or posting just happy faces and therefore will most likely just not read or post to HL related threads.

I’m sure as fuck not going to apologize for my negative views of this company’s performance or for expressing them.

vapeverythingnyc

Those with problems with their IO's, have you contacted HL? And if so have you heard back?

It's a real shame that Hooper Labs stopped posting. I'm sure that we would all like some clarity on the above issues.

Otherwise I wonder about how their already fragile reputation will hold up if the new IO also turns out to be a dud

I had an issue with my preorder SS io, emailed CS, got a response within 48 hours and a replacement within 4 business days from initial contact.

But I don’t think my experience is the norm. I have always had very good and efficient communication from Hopper Labs.

Hello FC family,

I will be taking over forum communications for Hopper as part of our overall business relationship. Unfortunately I have been a bit under water with a new job, travel and all the issues I have been working from making announcements on IG and Reddit.

To clarify I don't work for Hopper, I don't make all the decisions, there are a lot of factors going into warranty claims and battery availability. Each case is different and will be handled as such. I don't need any opinions on me getting involved with Hopper. I don't have time to waste. Treat me with respect and I will do the same. I understand frustrations but getting shitty with me is not going to resolve anything. In fact (as some of you already know) I don't respond kindly to nasty bullshit so your likely not to get any response if you go that route.

Again, I'm here to help. I'm here to have your situation individually looked at. Trevor and I have direct communication and a lot to document issues and provide current status. So far it's been effective. Certain issues are getting resolved and at least others are getting current status messages.

Beyond that I want to clear up some of the misinformation being spread here and elsewhere. Hopefully all of this will curb some of the bashing going on here. Again I understand the frustration and have partnered with Hopper to make this right but at some point I hope people recognize and stop this nonsense. Repeatedly complaining about the same things over and over isn't going to solve your problem. In fact it may be a factor in driving them further into the ground and into bankruptcy. So then you will really have no warranty support? Who wants that? So please try to follow the FC rules and put your one experience out there and then move forward. Moving forward and stopping dwelling on the past is the only road to making this work.

Feel free to start pinging me with your open items. Provide as much detail as possible including order numbers or warranty reference numbers. Please don't get upset if there is a slight delay. I'm getting hit all at once and still have other things I'm responsible for.

To clear up the battery situation (and hopefully avoid some PM's on the subject)....GB3's are still in production and impacted by Covid19. No firm delivery date yet. If you have a working Hopper and no working batteries, Hopper wants to take care of you. They will release small quantity orders if you holler at me with your situation and provide an order number. As for replacement batteries, those won't be dealt with until the new batteries are in.

I hope all this helps.

EDIT:
@macbill THANK YOU. Right on time...I was just speaking witha retailer peer who doesn't currently carry the Hopper but feels the same way. Regardless of anyone's perception of our commercial interest I don't feel the activity here reflects the spirit of the FC policies.

So this is very confusing, and to be honest maybe more aggressive than necessary. I appreciate what you do for the community, curating the best stuff for us here in the US.

With that said, who do we go to on open warranty? Who’s keeping track of those that are owed replacement batteries? Why can’t I register my 2 io’s? How about the replacement backend I bought for my OG? They promised that it would be under warranty as long as we kept the convo in the same email thread. Does that die with this transition?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Hopper Labs supporter through and through. Have been since day one. And I will admit that I’ve always been taken care of, but does that now end with this new relationship? And why hasn’t Hopper Labs made a statement about your relationship? I think they owe that to the community out of respect for our support.

I absolutely trust you and the way you run your business. If this transition means that we will be met with the level of CS we expect of VGoodiez in relation to our hoppers, I’m all for it. But I think hopper labs needs to make an official statement and we all deserve a little more clarity. Can we still communicate directly with hopper labs? Are you providing this new channel only to forum members? Etc ad nauseum.

edit: sorry to the mods for the double post, can they please be merged? Thank you!

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
The battery is leaking though. I think. Haha. Gonna email them about it.
Curious to hear more about this and what you’ve observed. How old (or new) is the battery?

@VGoodiez - thank you for stepping in. I think. Could you expound on GHB3 and whether the bulk replacement batteries that many of us are still waiting on (16+ months in my case) will be GBH2s or GBH3s? Is there a projected time when GBH3s will be available? Thanks. :peace:

)
Curious to hear more about this and what you’ve observed. How old (or new) is the battery?

@VGoodiez - thank you for stepping in. I think. Could you expound on GHB3 and whether the bulk replacement batteries that many of us are still waiting on (16+ months in my case) will be GBH2s or GBH3s? Is there a projected time when GBH3s will be available? Thanks. :peace:

The battery is a 2 weeks old. It came with the hopper IO. The battery chamber also has some gunk in it. I had to slam the hopper against the desk to get the battery out.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I had an issue with my preorder SS io, emailed CS, got a response within 48 hours and a replacement within 4 business days from initial contact.

But I don’t think my experience is the norm. I have always had very good and efficient communication from Hopper Labs.

So this is very confusing, and to be honest maybe more aggressive than necessary. I appreciate what you do for the community, curating the best stuff for us here in the US.

With that said, who do we go to on open warranty? Who’s keeping track of those that are owed replacement batteries? Why can’t I register my 2 io’s? How about the replacement backend I bought for my OG? They promised that it would be under warranty as long as we kept the convo in the same email thread. Does that die with this transition?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Hopper Labs supporter through and through. Have been since day one. And I will admit that I’ve always been taken care of, but does that now end with this new relationship? And why hasn’t Hopper Labs made a statement about your relationship? I think they owe that to the community out of respect for our support.

I absolutely trust you and the way you run your business. If this transition means that we will be met with the level of CS we expect of VGoodiez in relation to our hoppers, I’m all for it. But I think hopper labs needs to make an official statement and we all deserve a little more clarity. Can we still communicate directly with hopper labs? Are you providing this new channel only to forum members? Etc ad nauseum.

edit: sorry to the mods for the double post, can they please be merged? Thank you!
Lots of questions here and while I don't have all the answers, I will do my best. My role is not to take over the warranty process top to bottom. The warranty claims should be opened as normal at the hopper site.

I am here to help them manage the forums which mainly right now means trying to get general questions answered (like about your batteries which was answered in my last post) or help getting stalled claims looked at.

I can't speak for Hopper labs why they Are not making an announcement. Probably for the same reason you have seen a lack of communication and response in other areas. My impression is they are very tight on resources and money so a limited crew is handling everything. Trevor gave his trust to me that I would help keep accurate information out there (assuming I know the answers) and to help ease people's concerns over warranty.

So for example if you just opened up a claim with Hopper any question you give to me will get the same answer you got from hopper recently so keep that in mind.

If the claim is old and dragging, shoot me some details and I will see what the options are. All I do is document on a workbook and then Trevor goes back in, reviews and provides an answer. Then I'll follow up with you.

Is this going to resolve every issue? No. But it is getting some people squared away and hopefully we can all agree that is a step in the right direction. Yes.

And to be clear @Baron23 nobody is making excuses or trying to "whitewash" the situation. But you have to ask yourself if all the repeated bitching on multiple forums about the same issues is helpful? Does it make you feel better? Does it move the situation towards resolution? To me it feels like a lot of people would like to see Hopper go the way of some of the other vaporizer company casualties. If that is what you want then I guess keep bitching because you will help drive away any chance they have at survival and any chance for them to provide redemption for the issues of the past.

I didn't get into this situation without pause. I was very clear with Trevor on how this needed to work in order for it to work for VGoodiez. He was very forthcoming about things. About the things within their control and the things out of their control that helped get them in this hole. He acknowledged they had made mistakes. It was good enough for me and I genuinely believe they are on much better path. Ok so there have been a few io failures. Not good but also not near the level of defects from OG's and not even at the level of competitor products I have dealt with. And Trevor has been great on following up on my logged cases so to me this is a step in the right direction. Personally I choose to move forward in hopes of making the future better for the customer and for hopper. The past is well documented. At nauseum actually.

Edit and update on batteries that are being replaced by Hopper Labs.

Batteries are covered for 2 weeks from when they are shipped out. After that they are not covered for any reason. The only batteries that will be replaced where shipped in Sept, Oct,Nov of 2019 and have BOTH (GHB2 and Made in China on the label). There are over 120k batteries with GHB2 that do not have "Made in china" on the label. These are not coverd and do not have any known issues.

Last edited:

Vape Master

Formerly C3PO
Even if I understand it correctly (i'm from Europe) something has happend again so that we don't get the promised GHB3 with better performance.
If yes, my patience is slowly sinking :mental:
There are very big differences. the GH has a 45 watt heater, the IO has70 watt heater. That's a huge jump, especially since its pure convection. Especially for water tools.The differences are on the inside. Gold contacts for the Battery make a huge difference. It appears the lights are normal unlike the original! I am not sure about the new batteries. I am waiting for my IO in the mail I will keep you posted. Peace, Love & Vape -- ^ ^ ^ The Vape Master ^ ^ ^

Vaporific

The only batteries that will be replaced where shipped in Sept, Oct,Nov of 2019 and have BOTH (GHB2 and Made in China on the label).
Are you handling those or will HL? And if the latter need I prod them or will they send them when they get them without me needing to do anything? :peace:

Vaporific,

Baron23

And to be clear @Baron23 nobody is making excuses or trying to "whitewash" the situation. But you have to ask yourself if all the repeated bitching on multiple forums about the same issues is helpful? Does it make you feel better? Does it move the situation towards resolution? To me it feels like a lot of people would like to see Hopper go the way of some of the other vaporizer company casualties. If that is what you want then I guess keep bitching because you will help drive away any chance they have at survival and any chance for them to provide redemption for the issues of the past.
If that's what it feels like to you, so be it. Its absolutely NOT what it feels like to me. So, we disagree. You see rehashing of old complaints and I see keeping pressure on HL as their performance from inception to date has been woefully inadequate while also ensuring that other members are aware of the facts....and IMO they are facts and not "bitching" (quite a pejorative term there, my friend).

Frankly, if they don't do much better across a wide array of disciplines, then I don't think they deserve to be in business and if that occurs then its the utterly the result of their actions and not posts on a forum. Do not....do NOT try to put that on me, my friend.

Cheers

Stonedbadger

I still do not understand the battery situation on Hopper Labs IO website it still has

"All batteries sold are now GHB3. This battery can also be used in legacy Grasshopper units. Some of these new batteries are labeled GHB2 due to factory mislabeling"

So what is actually going on?

Vaporific

I still do not understand the battery situation on Hopper Labs IO website it still has

"All batteries sold are now GHB3. This battery can also be used in legacy Grasshopper units. Some of these new batteries are labeled GHB2 due to factory mislabeling"

So what is actually going on?
Good morning. They should correct the website to GHB2. I recently inquired about what and when GHB3 meant and was told the latest shipment, first 1000 or whatever and the larger one to follow, are new GHB2s perhaps with a different matte and label. But who gives a shit if it’s matte or shiny, blue or green. As long as we have them in our hands and in our vapes is all that matters. Well, that and they all perform about the same (yes, I’ve had some clunkers). GHB3 is the latest version still under development and likely delayed due to cash flow. This is all recent herein and paraphrasing as best I can.

Enough about batteries. Any new IO observations or comments?:peace:

Macicman

There are very big differences. the GH has a 45 watt heater, the IO has70 watt heater. That's a huge jump, especially since its pure convection. Especially for water tools.The differences are on the inside. Gold contacts for the Battery make a huge difference. It appears the lights are normal unlike the original! I am not sure about the new batteries. I am waiting for my IO in the mail I will keep you posted. Peace, Love & Vape -- ^ ^ ^ The Vape Master ^ ^ ^
BRUCE?

A question for the ages, indeed.
You are on lifetime DopeGun(TM) naughty list.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Hey y'all. Just got the io in the mail. How do I register for warrenty? It's not got a serial number on the backend or an id code on the box.

Zuhdj,

guyonthecouch

Enough about batteries. Any new IO observations or comments?:peace:
Haven't you heard? The io is a "DopeGun(TM)" ..maybe the dopest! :smug:

So dope in fact that they might sell out soon(remember - they said they only made 1000x of the first batch of ios). If you want one and don't want to wait, now is the time to purchase. Units are getting shipped out in record Hopper time, not sure how long that will last.. After the first batch is sold I'd imagine they'll be somewhat of a wait for the next round.

The io is a beast and picks up on all the faults of the OG - front end still gets a little hot native(fine with silicone mp) but much much more manageable. They still have the silicone mp at planetvape if anyone is looking for them - https://www.planetvape.ca/grasshopper-silicone-mouthpiece.html
Using with pfe and drip tip, instant on - big fat rip - click off and good to go.

Mine has been running solid for months now, heavy usage with no special maintenance or care. Hopefully the big batch of batteries comes in soon.

Top Bottom