Discontinued Hopper io

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Has anyone closely examined an io standard mp and compared it to an og standard mp? Or opened an io mp to see what is in there? I'm wondering if the io mp has those two extra parts inside (or more?). Do the screens even look the same?
I have not been a fan of the og's design in this regard, I have seen (on dis-assembly) that these parts can be a resin trap, so I'm wondering if there's much design change in this area.
Maybe putting an io mp on an og body would be a small upgrade?

And why, if you can purchase a spare io body, can you not purchase a spare io mouthpiece?

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Has anyone closely examined an io standard mp and compared it to an og standard mp? Or opened an io mp to see what is in there? I'm wondering if the io mp has those two extra parts inside (or more?). Do the screens even look the same?
I have not been a fan of the og's design in this regard, I have seen (on dis-assembly) that these parts can be a resin trap, so I'm wondering if there's much design change in this area.
Maybe putting an io mp on an og body would be a small upgrade?

And why, if you can purchase a spare io body, can you not purchase a spare io mouthpiece?
Well they look and seem identical, but the io end seems to have more mass, can't really tell if the airflow is any different or why it weighs about 0.5g more than my OG 2015 and 0.4g more than my circa 2018 front end but that seems to be the case. The biggest difference to using the io front end seems to mostly be the slightly more open airflow.

I might open one up at some point when I get some tweezers, but really I nearly always just use the PFE. But the io on the go is pretty neat in pen mode.

DSC-0185.jpg

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
I wanted to post here to talk about my most recent communication with Hopper Labs, and to clarify the battery situation as far as who gets one and how it is prioritized.

Based on their response, and follow through, I have to say I'm a satisfied customer. (They also followed through prior to me responding, as I have been on vacation and didn't have time).

Basically, they want to make sure all OG Hopper and IO owners have AT LEAST 1 working battery. This means:
1. If you e-mail them indicating you do not have a working battery, they will get at least 1 to you.
2. If you order an IO they will include at least 1 battery with it

So I want to say that all my prior speculation was just that, speculation based on past interactions with HL; however, I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong, so in this case it seems HL is trying to do right by its customers. I will remain hopeful that this is just a continuation of the positive path forward HL seemed to be taking at the end of last year prior to the battery/fire issue, and then COVID. Lets all keep our fingers crossed 🤞

Guest399

I wanted to post here to talk about my most recent communication with Hopper Labs, and to clarify the battery situation as far as who gets one and how it is prioritized.

Based on their response, and follow through, I have to say I'm a satisfied customer. (They also followed through prior to me responding, as I have been on vacation and didn't have time).

Basically, they want to make sure all OG Hopper and IO owners have AT LEAST 1 working battery. This means:
1. If you e-mail them indicating you do not have a working battery, they will get at least 1 to you.

honorable that they want to help everyone. but what do you want with a single battery? 1 holds 3-4 at most 4 bowls at mine. what do you do when the battery in a bowl is empty, can't you end up vaping? So I think you have to have at least 2 batteries. then I'd rather wait a few more weeks and get 2 instead of 1. We don't need to talk about shipping costs outside of the USA.

Last edited:

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
honorable that they want to help everyone. but what do you want with a single battery? 1 holds 3-4 at most 4 bowls st mine. what do you do when the battery in a bowl is empty, can't you end up vaping? So I think you have to have at least 2 batteries. then I'd rather wait a few more weeks and get 2 instead of 1. We don't need to talk about shipping costs outside of the USA.
Very good point, I didn't even think about how this might be more difficult for non-US customers, given shipping and taxes. Hopefully they get more batteries in and some European distributors are able to provide them. But not having batteries available on release of their new product is kind of rough.

rnartian,

fogbank

So with a new battery, and sufficient background with the legacy model I am not really that impressed with my Ti IO. It really only cooks the oven well on setting 5.

This does not jibe with my experience at all. I start my IO at 2 and temp step it up one notch for each subsequent session, ending at 4. I get decent clouds on temp 2 (especially the second draw of the session), and bigger clouds on 3 and 4 until the load is spent. I know that there are uncontrolled variables in this comparison (user, strain, grind, etc...) but even my OG Hoppers produce nice clouds starting at 4. I have two OG Hoppers that I start on 2 or 2.5. These extract more quickly than my IO, and result in dark brown/black ABV.

If your IO only "cooks the oven well on setting 5" then you may have an IO that is running too cool.

Baron23

So with a new battery, and sufficient background with the legacy model I am not really that impressed with my Ti IO. It really only cooks the oven well on setting 5. I can barely get 5 sessions out of the battery even with all of the streamlining to IO performance. My dexterity issues make filling and unloading a chore. So, while it may be new, and improved, it ain't no Dope Gun for this cowboy.

This does not jibe with my experience at all. I start my IO at 2 and temp step it up one notch for each subsequent session, ending at 4. I get decent clouds on temp 2 (especially the second draw of the session), and bigger clouds on 3 and 4 until the load is spent. I know that there are uncontrolled variables in this comparison (user, strain, grind, etc...) but even my OG Hoppers produce nice clouds starting at 4. I have two OG Hoppers that I start on 2 or 2.5. These extract more quickly than my IO, and result in dark brown/black ABV.

If your IO only "cooks the oven well on setting 5" then you may have an IO that is running too cool.
So, is this an example perhaps of different units heating very differently (not all that uncommon in the OG GH, even after RMA) or just a difference between two vaporists habits and desires?

Be interesting to see others come on and give us some insight into temps used to see if they vary quite a bit across a population of units.

Cheers

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Well they look and seem identical, but the io end seems to have more mass, can't really tell if the airflow is any different or why it weighs about 0.5g more than my OG 2015 and 0.4g more than my circa 2018 front end but that seems to be the case. The biggest difference to using the io front end seems to mostly be the slightly more open airflow.

I might open one up at some point when I get some tweezers, but really I nearly always just use the PFE. But the io on the go is pretty neat in pen mode.
Maybe there is a little heavier "insulation" insert in there. I don't mean that in a negative way; I'm referring to the metal (copper?) funnel inside the og front end. Maybe that's the upgrade -- to some different material that may help keep the mp heat tolerable.

@Hopper Labs did say that the screens in the io front end will be less prone to self-loosening than the og's.
I think I would avoid disassembly until we know a little more about how they are installed.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
My Hopper io extracts fully at a variety of temps. I find its temp range to be consistent with the advertised increase of 20° C per temperature setting compared to the original Grasshopper. I used to finish my Grasshopper chambers at temps 4-5 and I usually finish my Hopper io chambers at temps 3-4. At temp 3 on my io the ABV is visually identical to 4 on GH, a nice medium brown. At temp 4 on the io the ABV looks just like 5 on GH, dark brown. Temp 5 on my io results in ABV that is nearly black but not combusted or charred at all. The only difference I’ve noticed is the flavor at higher temps seems a bit better with the Hopper io.

abcd5432

So I want to say that all my prior speculation was just that, speculation based on past interactions with HL; however, I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong, so in this case it seems HL is trying to do right by its customers. I will remain hopeful that this is just a continuation of the positive path forward HL seemed to be taking at the end of last year prior to the battery/fire issue, and then COVID. Lets all keep our fingers crossed 🤞

Posts like this is why this is the best forum I've ever been on online.

Guest399

for 2 days i read online that the Grasshopper Batterys only have a lifetime from 100-200 charges.
is that true ? i dont know at now where i had read it.

that means that one battery can live only at about mostly a half year by charging it one time a day when only vaping about 4 bowls a day. and at charging 2 times a day only a few month

I love the Hopper io very very much ! :love: We only can hope that there will be coming very much more batterys in the next months to Hopper Labs for all the community

Last edited:
Guest399,
Reactions: Tweakz

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
for 2 days i read online that the Grasshopper Batterys only have a lifetime from 100-200 charges.
is that true ? i dont know at now where i had read it.

that means that one battery can live only at about mostly a half year by charging it one time a day when only vaping about 4 bowls a day. and at charging 2 times a day only a few month

I love the Hopper io very very much ! :love: We only can hope that there will be coming very much more batterys in the next months to Hopper Labs for all the community
I have not seen anything about the lifecycle of the batteries but that figure seems short and personally I can tell you I have charged my cells well beyond that and they are still effective.

I don't want to put too fine of a point on when the new batch of GHB3 batteries will land but I'm told production is going well and if this persists they should not be too far out.

Guest399

is it ok to charge the hopper batteries with 1 ampere?

or would 0.5 A be better to put less strain on them? because they have a small capacity. I'm not that tech-savvy, that's why I ask

Guest399,

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer

or would 0.5 A be better to put less strain on them? because they have a small capacity. I'm not that tech-savvy, that's why I ask
Yes it's ok. As you said it's better for the batteries with a slower charge but this works just fine. I have a 4 bay charger that has two bays at . 5 and two at 1.0. If the . 5 is open I charge that way but won't hesitate to charge at 1.0 if it's not.

mephisto

So I should revise my opinion of my IO function. I just installed a fully charged, new battery and tried to use the device. I wanted to make sure that I was really only generating good vapor at setting 5. Well, the IO will not energize at all.......Tried adjusting temps, re-tightening the backend, removing and re-installing battery. Nothing at all from this vaporizer. I sent a note to Hopper IO customer service so now we shall see what kind of response comes back......Fuck!

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
So I should revise my opinion of my IO function. I just installed a fully charged, new battery and tried to use the device. I wanted to make sure that I was really only generating good vapor at setting 5. Well, the IO will not energize at all.......Tried adjusting temps, re-tightening the backend, removing and re-installing battery. Nothing at all from this vaporizer. I sent a note to Hopper IO customer service so now we shall see what kind of response comes back......Fuck!
Ah geez..

Stupid question but did you try another battery to make sure there is not the issue? I will also get you on the log to keep visibility on this.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I always wanted a grasshopper and definitely wouldn't mind a io but hopper labs reliability and customer service has always tempered my enthusiasm. Seen a couple posts of dead io's but I'm not willing to write off hopper labs as continuing with sub par business practices just yet, and will wait a few months to reserve judgment. So I'm not rushing to get one....... but haven't discounted grabbing one if they have truly turned the corner.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I always wanted a grasshopper and definitely wouldn't mind a io but hopper labs reliability and customer service has always tempered my enthusiasm. Seen a couple posts of dead io's but I'm not willing to write off hopper labs as continuing with sub par business practices just yet, and will wait a few months to reserve judgment. So I'm not rushing to get one....... but haven't discounted grabbing one if they have truly turned the corner.
Totally understand and fair attitude. If I didn't think they were on the right path I would not be here right now. While we have had some reports of failures I think we are still in better shape than the past and still tracking at/below the industry standard of three failures for every 100 hoppers sent out.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker

A while back (a year or 2 ago?), I tested what the OG hopper's magnetic charger was doing, by putting a USB current monitoring device on it. What I determined is that it uses a variable rate charge, if I remember right, and will charge using 1.5+ amps initially, and then slows down to a trickle at the tail end.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Check your email. Trevor sent you a replacement already along with a prepaid label to get that one back and see what is going on with it.

Bad Dog

Totally understand and fair attitude. If I didn't think they were on the right path I would not be here right now. While we have had some reports of failures I think we are still in better shape than the past and still tracking at/below the industry standard on failures at 3 warranty claims for every 100 hoppers sent out.
Purchasing a OG hopper was something like getting a Ferrari with the reliability of a Edsel but I believe that their willingness to push the limits of technology is truly admirable and must be difficult so some hiccups are to be expected from such a endeavour. Most reports are of happy customers with added performance over the OG, reliability is yet to be seen but I'm hopeful that they have learned from whatever mistakes were made with the OG and I'm even willing to give them a little credit for coming back from the fire. The hopper is something of a one of a kind in a versioning market and to expect a 100% reliability is difficult for any manufacturing sector. I'm taking a wait and see attitude but I'm hopeful and the fact that they haven't crashed and burned in this terrible economy I think speaks to their determination.

Bad Dog

Thanks for jumping on this problem with light speed!!!!!!!

No surprise there @VGOODIEZ has rocket fast response time, can't think of anyone who is more determined to provide excellent service and truly cares about the clients problems. It was a very good move for hopper labs to make him part of the customer service team imo

Reefer Fiend

Lovin' Life
So, I have been using my pre-order IO for a month now. Within the first week after receiving it I was so impressed (compared to my reliable OG) that I bought a second IO. I now alternate between the two IOs and use each for 3~4 sessions before charging. So far, I have not experienced any reliability issues nor anything negative to report. Clearly, much more time must pass with successful use before I can declare the IO truly reliable, but I really like what I have seen so far. I use both IOs with a PFE and a glass mouthpiece for cooling, and IO hits are just big fun! Usually, I begin a session with three strong pulls on setting 3, and I see a big cloud from the very first hit. The next time I hit it I turn it up to 4. After a total of about 6 pulls, my herb is spent and so am I.

With VGoodiEZ's welcome support and assistance, I am seeing much more positive engagements with HL mentioned on this forum. Once HL finally works out the battery supply issue, I believe the overall tone of this forum will dramatically improve. The IO simply is my favorite vape, and positive words here and elsewhere that are earned by HL will help ensure that the company survives and we all can enjoy this truly exemplary product design for years to come. No question, this device is an excellent performance step up from the OG, which I also still admire.

Bad Dog

I also like how they actually do rma's instead of taking the ghost approach and just handing out new units like candy. I respect how they do repairs even though it's more time consuming and expensive, trying to figure out what the problems are and making improvements and learning rather than glossing over things. Yes new units sent out would probably make for better customer service from a client standpoint but really do you want another defective unit over and over rather then them addressing the problems?

Top Bottom