Discontinued Hopper io

BornRedEyed

I have never owned a Grasshopper, but was always intrigued by them. All I would read is how bad the customer service was, so it scared me off. That is until about two weeks ago when I decided to say screw it and just buy one already. Well so far I'm glad I did, this thing is a beast! I have a Tiny Might also and the IO is right there. I like it so much I'm thinking about buying another one, I have the titanium one now and thinking about adding a stainless unit. Has anyone tried both, if so are there any noticable differences other than weight? I read a while back someone say the stainless one feels better in the hand.

Anyways, so far I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger and hopefully this thing keeps performing and HL can turn the ship around. :peace:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I have a Tiny Might also and the IO is right there. I like it so much I'm thinking about buying another one, I have the titanium one now and thinking about adding a stainless unit. Has anyone tried both, if so are there any noticable differences other than weight?
I have a legacy pre order Ti and a Tinymight and the TM wins hands down. There’s a TM-Hopper comparion thread however and I’ve opined a bit there - can’t find it yet during the site merger and I suspect the wonderful mods(!!!) will take care of the comparison threads last. Anyway, it would be great to compare the IO to the TM there.

As for differences within the IO I thought I read the SS had 5W less power than the TI or there’s a Ti+ or something like that. I’m resisting the urge and attempting to save my sanity going to the site to look it up again.:peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: Siebter

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member

abcd5432

I have never owned a Grasshopper, but was always intrigued by them. All I would read is how bad the customer service was, so it scared me off. That is until about two weeks ago when I decided to say screw it and just buy one already. Well so far I'm glad I did, this thing is a beast! I have a Tiny Might also and the IO is right there. I like it so much I'm thinking about buying another one, I have the titanium one now and thinking about adding a stainless unit. Has anyone tried both, if so are there any noticable differences other than weight? I read a while back someone say the stainless one feels better in the hand.

Anyways, so far I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger and hopefully this thing keeps performing and HL can turn the ship around. :peace:

It's been well talked about that the device itself, when functioning, is amazing.

It's everything around the device that is a worry.

As many have said, it shouldn't be your primary vape, due to God only knows if it can get serviced if something happens but if you have a backup and can afford a vape that may end up in purgatory for a couple of years, get it.
He probably meant more specifically the io, since the up is a 70w heater like the TinyMight. That's what makes the io special.

Vaporific

It's been well talked about that the device itself, when functioning, is amazing.

It's everything around the device that is a worry.

As many have said, it shouldn't be your primary vape, due to God only knows if it can get serviced if something happens but if you have a backup and can afford a vape that may end up in purgatory for a couple of years, get it.

He probably meant more specifically the io, since the up is a 70w heater like the TinyMight. That's what makes the io special.
Not sure there is a Tinymight vs. Hopper IO comparison thread or not. Certainly both heater sizes are about the same for perhaps a better comparison than with the Hopper. I’m not going to start a new thread for that And don’t own an IO; if someone else feels the urge, great.

So how are the IO owners fairing with one new battery? Lol. Keep the reviews coming. :peace:

Vaporific,

Macicman

Haven't you heard? The io is a "DopeGun(TM)" ..maybe the dopest! :smug:

So dope in fact that they might sell out soon(remember - they said they only made 1000x of the first batch of ios). If you want one and don't want to wait, now is the time to purchase. Units are getting shipped out in record Hopper time, not sure how long that will last.. After the first batch is sold I'd imagine they'll be somewhat of a wait for the next round.

The io is a beast and picks up on all the faults of the OG - front end still gets a little hot native(fine with silicone mp) but much much more manageable. They still have the silicone mp at planetvape if anyone is looking for them - https://www.planetvape.ca/grasshopper-silicone-mouthpiece.html
Using with pfe and drip tip, instant on - big fat rip - click off and good to go.

Mine has been running solid for months now, heavy usage with no special maintenance or care. Hopefully the big batch of batteries comes in soon.
This man is wise.

deeznutslol

So how are the IO owners fairing with one new battery? Lol. Keep the reviews coming. :peace:

Been using this thing daily for about two weeks. The only thing I have to complain about so far is the mouthpiece temperature which is almost impossible to use w/o a silicone tip or glass after a couple of rips. Thankfully no issues with the clicker yet.

I have yet to use my extra battery. I’ve been charging it in the morning and then go through 4-5 bowls in the evening where I get the low battery indicator. no noticeable battery degradation so far

Guest399

i dont have both but i can say that my stanless steel io works fine for about one week now

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer

I have both. I have had the Ti io for over a month and just started using the SS this weekend. I agree with the comment about the SS feeling better in hand. It's not just the added weight for me, it's also the subtle difference in the finish. Just feels a little more refined.

As for performance, it's pretty early for me to say but so far I'm not missing the 5w on the heater. It seems to get up and go just like the Ti. Of course it takes longer to cool down so consider that....

Vaporific

Been using this thing daily for about two weeks. The only thing I have to complain about so far is the mouthpiece temperature which is almost impossible to use w/o a silicone tip or glass after a couple of rips.
What temp(s) are you running it at? I’m a native Hopper user and seldom use glass. I’m running it 2.8-3.2 depending on certain things. Any other native IO users? Tip usually gets pretty warm and I’ve gotten used to that. I’m findIng however the vapor tends to be harsher compared to other vapes and I’m liking it less. Used to use the silicone tip and almost lost it a few times so I’ve gone without (and recently bought extras just in case I change my mind or want to use it with glass). I use and enjoy all my vapes natively all the time and curious what other native users think of the IO :peace:

Last edited:
Vaporific,
Reactions: Vitolo

Señor Negro

As for performance, it's pretty early for me to say but so far I'm not missing the 5w on the heater. It seems to get up and go just like the Ti. Of course it takes longer to cool down so consider that....
That's a very interesting point to consider in my opinion, and I would like to dig on it based on whoever would like to share experiences.
How much heat does it accumulates? How long does it take to cool down? Is it really that noticeable the difference between SS and titanium? And if that's not much asking (considering it would take some time to measure it), like how much exactly?
Should be obvious but I'm talking about the IO ONLY, as (if I can remember correctly) I had read somewhere that the IO was slightly less prone to heat compared to the OG.

Oh, by the way, I'm not sure if there's already documented somewhere as this question just popped my mind right now, but can anyone tell me how much does both units weight? That comment about the SS feeling much better on the hand made me wonder...

Señor Negro,
Reactions: Vitolo

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I use my Hopper io both through glass and native at max temp. I use my Grasshopper at max temp also and despite the higher temp limit my Hopper io seems to run cooler. I’m the exception to the rule but it’s definitely possible to use the io native at max temp.

Vaporific

I don't even like using a vape native. I got my tinymight today, took out stock step, put in bong adapter, ripped it.
That’s a shame. I love using my portables natively all the time and love my Tinymight that way too. So much so it leaves my Hopper in the dust. Anything above 3.5 on the Hopper Is just too hot for me vaporwise and on the lips. And the short air path has always been on the harsher side with the Hopper. The Tinumight’s vapor is smooth and cool. A Tinymight and IO comparison is compelling and I wonder if running it on the low temp side would be better than my Hopper. I ain’t buying one anytime soon however. :peace:

Vaporific,

Macicman

I use my Hopper io both through glass and native at max temp. I use my Grasshopper at max temp also and despite the higher temp limit my Hopper io seems to run cooler. I’m the exception to the rule but it’s definitely possible to use the io native at max temp.
Damn straight.

Michel

I have both. I have had the Ti io for over a month and just started using the SS this weekend. I agree with the comment about the SS feeling better in hand. It's not just the added weight for me, it's also the subtle difference in the finish. Just feels a little more refined.
Would this still be your experience when comparing SS to Colored TI? I know the colored IOs aren’t out yet but they should be identical to the colored OG I think.

I had a OG plain Ti first, back in 2016, and directly thought it felt somehow “unfinished“. I switched to colored Ti later and was a lot more happy with the overall feel and look... so I’m not sure if I should switch from colored Ti to SS...

first world problems...

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Would this still be your experience when comparing SS to Colored TI? I know the colored IOs aren’t out yet but they should be identical to the colored OG I think.

I had a OG plain Ti first, back in 2016, and directly thought it felt somehow “unfinished“. I switched to colored Ti later and was a lot more happy with the overall feel and look... so I’m not sure if I should switch from colored Ti to SS...

first world problems...
Lol. Yes these are some first world problems.

I have only ever owned one colored Ti and that's my dark grey OG. Again personal preference but I think I still like the SS better. Again weight and smoothness of finish are factors but my other beef with the anodizing is it can scratch if you aren't careful.

Vape Master

Formerly C3PO
I have never owned a Grasshopper, but was always intrigued by them. All I would read is how bad the customer service was, so it scared me off. That is until about two weeks ago when I decided to say screw it and just buy one already. Well so far I'm glad I did, this thing is a beast! I have a Tiny Might also and the IO is right there. I like it so much I'm thinking about buying another one, I have the titanium one now and thinking about adding a stainless unit. Has anyone tried both, if so are there any noticable differences other than weight? I read a while back someone says the stainless one feels better in the hand.

Anyways, so far I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger, and hopefully, this thing keeps performing and HL can turn the ship around. :peace:
I have 2 of the original in stainless steel. I just got IO in Titanium. They did a 360-degree turnaround, the Titanium IO is very easy to use straight to the mouth. Some of the best vapor ever. The 2 I have from the original excellent purchase. The IO Titanium is the best Vape I have ever owned after one day, so far. The only thing I don't like, to get the better mouthpiece, its 40 $ USD more. The best mouthouthpiece should be on the unit.

The #1 convection Vape.

My collection - #1 GH IO #2 Crafty + #3 Pax 3 #4 IQ 2 #5 Arizer Air #6 Tera v3 #7 Dyna Vap

Desktop - The G43 and Extreme Q

The GH IO is my daily Grinder. I don't anticipate any issues. It's just the best vaporizer. They addressed all of the previous issues.

Peace, Love & Vape

^ ^ ^ The Vape Master ^ ^ ^

Last edited:

mephisto

So with a new battery, and sufficient background with the legacy model I am not really that impressed with my Ti IO. It really only cooks the oven well on setting 5. I can barely get 5 sessions out of the battery even with all of the streamlining to IO performance. My dexterity issues make filling and unloading a chore. So, while it may be new, and improved, it ain't no Dope Gun for this cowboy.

JoeKickass

So with a new battery, and sufficient background with the legacy model I am not really that impressed with my Ti IO. It really only cooks the oven well on setting 5. I can barely get 5 sessions out of the battery even with all of the streamlining to IO performance. My dexterity issues make filling and unloading a chore. So, while it may be new, and improved, it ain't no Dope Gun for this cowboy.
With the old hopper if it didn't get hot enough, the strategy is to clean the threads and blow air in the holes and try to clean out the oven.

But that didn't help one of mine so I had to send it back, it's disappointing that the IO has the same poor temperature consistency between units...

Vape Master

Formerly C3PO
With the old hopper if it didn't get hot enough, the strategy is to clean the threads and blow air in the holes and try to clean out the oven.

But that didn't help one of mine so I had to send it back, it's disappointing that the IO has the same poor temperature consistency between units...
My experience - Temperature gage is like driving a car in manual. Bigger and longer hits at higher temps. I use it at 3 i am getting a good 20-second draw and a huge cloud.

I got my first GH 3 years ago. I have 2 and they were fantastic on a water pipe.

The IO great with water pipe, but the Titanium IO - It is not hot at all by the mouth.

I know a good vape when I use one.

It needs to be cleaned every time right away. No dust. use Q tip with ISO. little soap and water with cotton ball to clean the outside, it's brand new every time.

I have a nice collection, but nothing comes near the GH Ti IO. This is earth-shaking in the world of dry herb, this Vape is incredible. My opinion. I am hitting it now and nothing comes close. Glad I got mine, when more people get it, i am sure they will agree.

Peace, Love and Vape,

Macicman

I have 2 of the original in stainless steel. I just got IO in Titanium. They did a 360-degree turnaround, the Titanium IO is very easy to use straight to the mouth. Some of the best vapor ever. The 2 I have from the original excellent purchase. The IO Titanium is the best Vape I have ever owned after one day, so far. The only thing I don't like, to get the better mouthpiece, its 40 $ USD more. The best mouthouthpiece should be on the unit.

The #1 convection Vape.

My collection - #1 GH IO #2 Crafty + #3 Pax 3 #4 IQ 2 #5 Arizer Air #6 Tera v3 #7 Dyna Vap

Desktop - The G43 and Extreme Q

The GH IO is my daily Grinder. I don't anticipate any issues. It's just the best vaporizer. They addressed all of the previous issues.

Peace, Love & Vape

Bruce has "come alive" like Frampton.

Macicman,

Uridium

Well, my IO is home, after a brief stop at customs it made it across the water as promised.
It landed on my birthday so was well happy. The extra battery I ordered also arrived so I think I am set for a while.

The PFE and SMP I requested did not make it into the parcel, not sure why but it means I need to email them and get them sent.

now the IO: packaging was ok, in the box was the IO, battery safety warning, instructions, usb/mag charge cable and the extra mat GHB2 battery I ordered.

I checked the bowel for residue - next to nothing in the oven and mouthpiece, so far so good!

mine is the TI version and it is quite light in the hand, at first I wasn’t sure if there was a battery in it but CLICK and the white LED’s turned on so I hit it empty - minimal taste so I am good to go!

loaded the chamber with a medium/course grind, very lightly packing the oven full.
Using my honey bubbler and an old stained SMP I got to business.
Hit it on 3 as that was what it was set to from the box.
it took a few secs for the herb to heat up and I drew my breath too fast so the first hit was all terpy and light cloud. There is deffo less draw resistance which offers a lot more flexibility in how I hit it now.
Next hit I drew slowly, a looong draw and the bubbler got nice and cloudy.
That was the hit I was looking for - huge cloud and flavour flavour flavour.

Employing the click off before end of draw to clear bubbler and cool unit worked a treat as I was able to load it up for a second go as soon as I got my breath back!

I had pretty much killed the bowl with 2 hits, happy days! That’s what I love about this vape, I like a hard hitter so I can disappear to my office, hit the vape quick and be back at whatever with minimal time or fuss.

Today I cranked it up to 4 and with a slow starting draw to heat the herb I was able to milk up the honey bubbler on the first go, second go was great too extracting plenty of flavour and clouds.
After the second go I emptied the bowl, looking at the AVB I could have probably gotten another hit but honestly I didn’t need it lol

on lower temps there is no problem hitting this natively so when I am out and about I can use this without a water tool no worries but it’s when I am at home with the honey bubbler that this vape really performs giving me the ability to hit cool flavour hits all the way up to red-eye inducing monster flavour clouds!

for me the battery and need for return due to manufacturing defects are my tbiggest issues with this vape, having said that I can manage with one battery as I get at least 4 bowls before requiring a charge and keeping it charging between sessions is easy enough.
Hopefully it will last longer than the OG ones did for me but only time will tell.

so in summery I love having it, it’s by bye bong and back to strictly no combustion now I have my dope gun back in action!
The IO packs a massive punch for such a neat form factor it is almost magic.
The feel and build quality is near perfection.
Performance is as expected from a grasshopper - freaking amazing!

lookin forward to ditching that SMP and getting the PFE - so much neater on the bubbler and I am dying to try the PFE/drip tip combo!

vapes I own: Extreme Q, dynavap M, IO, Muad Dib, Air 2

Top Bottom