Discontinued Hopper io

Guest399

for me it is strange that they answer some mails quickly or directly and others very much later or not. i think they read with us ;)
but it is ok :wave:
For myself, i will try to give no more negative feedback for HL, i did it one time because i was angry.

not why i think they read with us !!!!! Because I give up. Only will sendig one mail to them in future if my ID number is missing too to register when the Hopper arrives.

Edit:
..and if the Hopper io will be break in the future, i will sell it directly as malfunction to have no more trouble wit it and them. ;)

as much as I love pen vaporizers. That `s not worth it !

Last edited:

Reefer Fiend

Lovin' Life
I think it's safe to say that nobody has received the IO registration code that was supposed to be on the box. But I sent an email to HL requesting that they manually register my device on their end. The email sat unanswered for about a week, and then I received email confirmation that HL had in fact registered the device, and I now see it listed under my registered hoppers.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I think it's safe to say that nobody has received the IO registration code that was supposed to be on the box. But I sent an email to HL requesting that they manually register my device on their end. The email sat unanswered for about a week, and then I received email confirmation that HL had in fact registered the device, and I now see it listed under my registered hoppers.
When the new "io" site opened up (last year) and HL transferred the data on registered devices, one of my Grasshoppers was dropped from the "Your Grasshopper" list. They also dropped about 1/2 of my warranty history.

I sent an email asking for that to be corrected. The warranty list was corrected, but the Grasshopper was never added back on to the list. I've inquired about this several times and had no response.
The proof that I own and have already registered lies in the 5+ rma's it's had under the same registration number (even though the back end has been replaced a few times, they seem to like to keep the original number. I don't understand that, but it's a very minor quirk).

MoltenTiger

My tracking has finally updated and I guess I should get my io sometime next week!

Pretty exciting :)

I also finally heard back on my RMA request for my legacy unit - they're not accepting incoming parcels yet, so that will be an interesting play out.

That unit dying kind of threw a spanner in the works for how I was feeling about the io and hoppers in general. I made my pre-order a strong and overly indulged 15 months from previous warranty. It was really super ideal the whole time. After my plain Ti died at the 16 month mark I was a bit miffed. I do have another hopper that has been going for 30 months now, and another hopper that returned with the dead one is on loan and has been going strong for nearly 18 months. But I really just want to call it quits with buying these things with this one io. So I hope it holds up for a bit longer, ideally forever.

I got to sesh with that blue loner hopper last week, it was cool matched with my old and forgotten fumed banger hanger bubbler. Man it was a good time drinking beers, sharing some purple headband and unknown strains and catching up. The hopper-bong just works so well for that type of occasion, a perfect no fuss situation that delivers exactly what's wanted.
All I had on me that weekend was the StemPod and a couple of 18650s. Which was good enough, but really sucked at the same time. Depleting one battery is a fairly light session for me, and having to wait for things to heat up before it actually starts working properly is a major pain.

I am really excited for the instant on because it is going to be more than a subtle improvement to something that is really special. Pushing this heating dynamic to the max really leverages more out of an amazing plant. Very keen to see how the io performs across the spectrum.
It won't really offer anything new, because the legacy already works so rapidly. But by reaching those higher temps by design, and with the much simpler and direct functionality, it's going to be so fucking good holy shit. Tempted to get some more nice glass to pair with it

dac13

i do not think Hopper Labs has signed up for an account in the New FC, which may be one reason for their silence.
On old FC it says hopper labs was last seen 3 weeks ago... It seems pretty clear they are avoiding the forum since they know a lot of people are upset with them and they don't have a great reply. They will probably reappear when their next shipment of batteries comes in, who knows when that will be, they never said anything about their ETA

kilo

The email sat unanswered for about a week, and then I received email confirmation that HL had in fact registered the device, and I now see it listed under my registered hoppers.

My experience as well. Didn't hear a thing from them but 5 days later I look at my account and my io is registered. I'm really happy with my serial number, by the way. I hadn't requested anything special, didn't even know that was an option, but HS0000XX is easy to remember!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My tracking has finally updated and I guess I should get my io sometime next week!

Pretty exciting :)

I also finally heard back on my RMA request for my legacy unit - they're not accepting incoming parcels yet, so that will be an interesting play out.
Nice to see yours is almost there and we're looking forward to your impressions.

I also heard back on an rma. I opened the request 2 full months ago (but it was actually a continuation of a far longer saga.
The story began with rma in Nov. '18. In Feb. '20 they did send me a new body but it was dirty and smelly. They soon sent another, slightly less dirty and smelly but I thought I'd give it a try. Within three weeks it literally fell apart. This is what has now been 2 months for HL to tell me I've been placed in the cue. :deadhorse:
So, a total of 19 months of waiting and now I'm in the cue; they'll let me know when to send it in.
Whoop-de-doo.

when their next shipment of batteries comes in, who knows when that will be
When they can pay for them by selling things they don't make yet?
:thinker:

BackInTown

Loving my IO out my current glass but it’s just impossible to use like that with the normal mouth piece direct to mouth . Anyone know if the performance front ends are in stock and how good they are ? After 10 days with my hopper I’m in love and it’s my daily driver most the day I wanna be able to use it while hiking or something!

My experience as well. Didn't hear a thing from them but 5 days later I look at my account and my io is registered. I'm really happy with my serial number, by the way. I hadn't requested anything special, didn't even know that was an option, but HS0000XX is easy to remember!
Ya I felt real special getting(what I’m assuming) like the first few serial #’s created since they start off so low :3

btka

Loving my IO out my current glass but it’s just impossible to use like that with the normal mouth piece direct to mouth . Anyone know if the performance front ends are in stock and how good they are ? After 10 days with my hopper I’m in love and it’s my daily driver most the day I wanna be able to use it while hiking or something!

Ya I felt real special getting(what I’m assuming) like the first few serial #’s created since they start off so low :3
that was my biggest problem with the og gh... I could only use it trough glass... I asked hopperlabs to get this sorted in hopper io... but they are not listening... they think cooling of vapor makes vapor less potent because thc will condense when vapor cooled trough "cooling unit"... but why then they make a portable vape... I am talking about high temps and big clouds trough glass temps... I only have experience with og hopper... is there something new for cooling the vapor in new io?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
The Hopper io frontend is a little cooler than the Grasshopper io, but it is not a huge difference. My lips aren’t that sensitive to heat and I use both devices natively, even at max temp. Recently I was using my io after eating spicy food. It was on temp 3 and it was surprisingly uncomfortable and hot on my lips because of the spicy food. If your lips are sensitive to heat it is probably best to use the silicone tip or get a drip tip or some other cooling mechanism.

btka

The Hopper io frontend is a little cooler than the Grasshopper io, but it is not a huge difference. My lips aren’t that sensitive to heat and I use both devices natively, even at max temp. Recently I was using my io after eating spicy food. It was on temp 3 and it was surprisingly uncomfortable and hot on my lips because of the spicy food. If your lips are sensitive to heat it is probably best to use the silicone tip or get a drip tip or some other cooling mechanism.
the hot mouthpiece was not the problem the vapor is for me extremly harsh (hot) native... but that is logical regarding the short path from heater to herb to mouth (especially on higher temps)... So you have a sleek portable small powerhouse but can not use it natively because hopperlabs do not want to offer a solution to cooling vapor... look at tinymight he seems to listen to people.... so what should I do with a portable hopper which I can only use trough glass when I want big clouds at home... that was also the onlky way I used my hopper (altough I bought it to take big cloudy rips on the go) I would be happy to see other companies with hopper heater (thats is the only special thing about hopper)... this guys maybe are good in engeneering a heater but they do not understand anything about business and consumer service... ( I only had og hopper but think it did not change with io)

Reefer Fiend

Lovin' Life
I have been using an OG for almost 3 years now, and excessive mouthpiece heat has been a persistent problem. Even the silicone cover offered by HL provides minimal relief. I get just one pull from the vape before the tip becomes too uncomfortable to further enjoy. However, switching to the performance front end accessory opens up some nice alternatives.

Initially, I used a 14 mm bubbler with water, but I now have a simpler solution -- a 14 mm glass J-handle like this one sold by GRAV: GRAV® 14mm J Handle. The 8" GRAV model is too long to easily fit into my pants pocket, but I found shorter 4"~5" versions available at https://www.dhgate.com/. This has been my go-to solution for the past 2 years, and it works really well with OG or IO. I do not find the vapor to be at all hot using the J-handle, and there is no heat transferred to tender lips. Multiple truly monster hits are now the norm.

zephyrskychord

I ordered a TI IO on 5/5 and just got it today. I live near to Boulder and had expected it on Friday, but it was shipped out to MN, presumably to join the protests for a minute. No sticker for registering, so I will try contacting HL for them to register it manually. It's on the charger now and I will be trying it out after work. I also own a Vapor Slide (a vaporizer for 510 carts on a waterpipe), a VapCap M, and an Arizer Air 2. Hard to stay away from the 510 carts so I'm hoping the cotton wick and concentrate works well in the Hopper IO. I know there a lot of people griping about Hopper Labs, but they're a small operation and there's no way they can possibly answer every single last message with expediency, so be patient...

Edit: Hooked up the performance front end and tried it on my little bubbler. This thing hits way better than my Arizer Air 2. So far so good!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    982 KB · Views: 30
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    778.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@zephyrskychord: Concentrate wrapped in organic cotton works well in the Hopper io, better than the Grasshopper because of the higher temps possible with the io. That being said, 510 carts paired with a good battery offer more consistent flavor, better battery life, and less reloading. In my opinion the io really shines when used with flower, convection heating in general is not ideal for concentrate use.

MoltenTiger

My io cleared customs here today, looking good for a delivery this week :D

Really looking forward to trying it out and having a hot running hopper of my own again! And that instant heat is going to be very enjoyable.
It's going to bring my glass collection alive!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I ordered a TI IO on 5/5 and just got it today. I live near to Boulder and had expected it on Friday, but it was shipped out to MN, presumably to join the protests for a minute. No sticker for registering, so I will try contacting HL for them to register it manually. It's on the charger now and I will be trying it out after work. I also own a Vapor Slide (a vaporizer for 510 carts on a waterpipe), a VapCap M, and an Arizer Air 2. Hard to stay away from the 510 carts so I'm hoping the cotton wick and concentrate works well in the Hopper IO. I know there a lot of people griping about Hopper Labs, but they're a small operation and there's no way they can possibly answer every single last message with expediency, so be patient...

Edit: Hooked up the performance front end and tried it on my little bubbler. This thing hits way better than my Arizer Air 2. So far so good!
It's very exciting to have the new io, I'm sure. It will be a lovely honeymoon.

In terms of concentrate use with the io (based on my og experience) I agree with @Vapor Eyes that there are better devices for the purpose. The io will handle it, I can say the og does, but consider that it is designed for dry herb use. I have always contended that og hoppers get internally "dirty" and eventually the draw become restricted. In general, I feel that the less oily stuff in there, the better.
Lately, my concentrate use is wax with a $30 Terp Pen, and I prefer this to vaping concentrates in a hopper.

Reading your story, then seeing you suggest folks be patient with this "small operation" is hard to take. Some off us have spent the past, idk, 5 or 6 years being patient with Hopper Labs. Sometimes we gripe a little. It's not simply that they are behind with responding to emails.

You have ordered and received a Hopper io with a battery in less than 6 weeks' time. The batteries are in very limited supply, and HL has chosen to send a device and new battery to you over many, many people who have waited over a year for a battery to power their Grasshopper.
HL justifies this (and similar) behaviors in the name of progress of the tech and more specifically, in the name of financial survival of their company.
I was way into it for years; far, far less in 2020. I cheered the small, innovative startup and supported it with my dollars and now I'm feeling pretty much left out of the picture.

"Someday everything is gonna be smooth like a rhapsody,
When I Paint My Masterpiece."

Top Bottom