Discontinued Hopper io

vapviking

Old & In the Way
if there are batteries available why are so many people waiting? I see a person with 6 batteries ordered. If his order isn't being filled, why would mine?
There's been a lot of confusion about batteries. Apparently HL is shipping (albeit selectively) batteries of a recently received small batch of 1,000. Slightly confounding the issue, we are told on the website that while all those shipping are new-version GHB3's, some are mis-labeled GHB2. io back orders are now being filled, but it seems not many batteries -if any at all- are shipping as fulfillment of new battery orders. The next in line to get their batteries is supposed to be folks who had received (long delayed) orders last year BUT those were recalled (specifically, recommended to be recycled by the purchaser.)
I believe their strong priority is new io sales and they will reserve a bunch of the 1,000 batch to support those sales.
I believe your question, "If his order isn't being filled, why would mine?" is quite a valid concern.

There just aren't enough of them in stock right now because trans-Pacific trade supply lines have been hit by covid-19 and the economic policies of the current administration.
We have extremely little evidence of battery supply interruption due to pandemic or geo-political situation. The previous batch (the "fire" batteries did have some shipping delay.
The fire last fall was a major setback to the battery saga, and the entire Hopper Labs narrative. Now we have waited for 'replacement' batteries from a company that HL is possibly threatening to sue (though HL has told us they have also made arrangements for a second supplier).
The other obvious reason for delays could lie in HL's ability to fund the battery purchases.

It's my actual job to be familiar with how covid effects trade/investments.
When you do write for your actual job, consider the different uses for the words "effect" and "affect".
I only bring this up because it might affect the effect of your work product on your salary. ;)

kilo

I read the last couple pages, are batteries good or not?
I'm curious about those batteries, not the old ones.

Yeah, sorry — I hadn't been following the thread closely enough and didn't catch that you were specifically interested in GH3's. But my point was basically that the GH2's work fine in the io. If the io's are being shipped out with a new GH2 there's no reason to wait for the arrival of the fabled GH3's. A Hopper with one battery (even a good one!) is not an ideal situation, however. Let's hope for a quick resolution. I'd love to see HL emerge from this morass eventually — they really make a fine vape.

abcd5432

There's been a lot of confusion about batteries. Apparently HL is shipping (albeit selectively) batteries of a recently received small batch of 1,000. Slightly confounding the issue, we are told on the website that while all those shipping are new-version GHB3's, some are mis-labeled GHB2. io back orders are now being filled, but it seems not many batteries -if any at all- are shipping as fulfillment of new battery orders. The next in line to get their batteries is supposed to be folks who had received (long delayed) orders last year BUT those were recalled (specifically, recommended to be recycled by the purchaser.)
I believe their strong priority is new io sales and they will reserve a bunch of the 1,000 batch to support those sales.
I believe your question, "If his order isn't being filled, why would mine?" is quite a valid concern.

We have extremely little evidence of battery supply interruption due to pandemic or geo-political situation. The previous batch (the "fire" batteries did have some shipping delay.
The fire last fall was a major setback to the battery saga, and the entire Hopper Labs narrative. Now we have waited for 'replacement' batteries from a company that HL is possibly threatening to sue (though HL has told us they have also made arrangements for a second supplier).
The other obvious reason for delays could lie in HL's ability to fund the battery purchases.

When you do write for your actual job, consider the different uses for the words "effect" and "affect".
I only bring this up because it might affect the effect of your work product on your salary. ;)
Thanks, that's why I was confused, I don't know if any reason there should be such a massive delay with no good news as to when batteries will be regularly available.

Seriously have thought about taking English classes. Everything I write goes through a billion compliance reviews. Internally though, ya, if grammar check doesn't save me, I look dumb.

@kilo
To my knowledge, the 3rd gen batteries are better? That's confusing me. I thought you couldn't hit max performance from reading the previous thread.

JCat

Accessory Maker
You're giving me hope, after years of waiting it may be time to buy this.

I read the last couple pages, are batteries good or not?

I mean, it's hopperlabs, so I am not sure if I can even read things without assuming something is not in order that makes this a risk.
Everything about Hopper Labs is a risk ... if you get a working device, then great, and if it keeps working, even better; but they have shown zero proof that they can honour any warranty or promise, or that they can actually service any devices that need it in less than 6-24 months, nor can they deliver any consumable when required in under a year.

I'd say buying a used device from China off of eBay is less risky ...

abcd5432

Everything about Hopper Labs is a risk ... if you get a working device, then great, and if it keeps working, even better; but they have shown zero proof that they can honour any warranty or promise, or that they can actually service any devices that need it in less than 6-24 months, nor can they deliver any consumable when required in under a year.

I'd say buying a used device from China off of eBay is less risky ...

I'd say it's the form factor that's always been interesting to me.

I know the TinyMight and tetra P80 do the same thing, the same 70w heater (not the SAME), and all fast heat up, etc.

I probably should go with the device with easy to find batteries, but man, feels like the hopper is so close to being viable. Something about this device just feels special, but maybe I'm just being completely idiotic.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I probably should go with the device with easy to find batteries, but man, feels like the hopper is so close to being viable. Something about this device just feels special, but maybe I'm just being completely idiotic.

If you have disposable income and really want to give it a try, go right ahead. It might work out this time. Or it might not.
They do work great when they're working.
Don't have expectations that this will be the last vape you'll ever need!
And I don't suggest buying one if you don't have a worthy backup vape.

GoGlass

The silence and the lack of informations of Hopper Labs is unsatisfactory.

I have also ordered an IO with batteries but dont forget all of you that have received their IO with a battery labeled 'GHB2' is 'normally' a GHB3.........

Yes !!! Bescause at the Accessories page (Hopper Battery | Hopper io) it is wrtitten :

" *All batteries sold are now GHB3. This battery can also be used in legacy Grasshopper units. Some of these new batteries are labeled GHB2 due to factory mislabeling. "

So all of you with an IO who had received a GHB2 is normally a GHB3..... but i'm not sure if i can trust Hopper Labs ???!!!!

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
The silence and the lack of informations of Hopper Labs is unsatisfactory.

I have also ordered an IO with batteries but dont forget all of you that have received their IO with a battery labeled 'GHB2' is 'normally' a GHB3.........

Yes !!! Bescause at the Accessories page (Hopper Battery | Hopper io) it is wrtitten :

" *All batteries sold are now GHB3. This battery can also be used in legacy Grasshopper units. Some of these new batteries are labeled GHB2 due to factory mislabeling. "

So all of you with an IO who had received a GHB2 is normally a GHB3..... but i'm not sure if i can trust Hopper Labs ???!!!!
Wow, good points. The IO site does say “GHB3” yet the pic shows “GHB2”. And given all the information to date herein I have a reconciliation issue with all of this. Perhaps it’s just me but nevertheless it further supports my idea to wait to purchase an IO if I ever do. I’ll take (and continue waiting) my replacement batts ordered over a year ago (like many of you) and hope they’re good out of the gate but I have my doubts with those as well. Batteries continue to be an Achilles heel for Hopper Labs. A complete mess and going dark right now with lack of updates herein doesn’t bode well. I’ll wait (and wait and wait) until it’s all sorted out. No use in expending more time and money pursuing anything new from them until all of this is clarified - by HL. :peace:

Last edited:

Vaporific

It’s funny - for the first time in a long while money isn’t an issue with me and I could buy 10 IOs right now but I won’t even buy one until all this stuff shakes out. I WANT an IO but don’t need one as long as my legacy Hopper continues to run well, the lone RMA notwithstanding, and as long as my batteries hold out (mixed results here with older and newer pre-fire batts that were ‘recalled’ yet I continue to vigilantly use a couple of those in rotation; some stored without use until recently haven’t faired well with performance so dormant shelf life is an issue, and it’s possible due to the ‘recall’ of them - we’ll never know!).

So, the waiting and watching continues. I’d love an IO - new, more power, better performance and battery handling management - but the questions and concerns about the batteries themselves keep me on the sidelines until further notice. It’s a shame too. :peace:

fogbank

My first battery test with my new IO: Using the battery that shipped inside the IO (GHB2 with matte label) charged using the internal Hopper charger, I got 16 draws before the IO entered low battery mode (two long flashes). So far I have taken two draws in low battery mode. All draws were 8-10 seconds long, using an average temp setting of 3 (two draws on each temp between 2 and 4). I take 6 draws per bowl, so the battery lasted 2.67 bowls before entering low battery mode.

GoGlass

My first battery test with my new IO: Using the battery that shipped inside the IO (GHB2 with matte label) charged using the internal Hopper charger, I got 16 draws before the IO entered low battery mode (two long flashes). So far I have taken two draws in low battery mode. All draws were 8-10 seconds long, using an average temp setting of 3 (two draws on each temp between 2 and 4). I take 6 draws per bowl, so the battery lasted 2.67 bowls before entering low battery mode.

The reality is that the IO will improve battery life. Its a cool upgrade.
But it's impossible at this time for us to know if the GHB2 sent with the IO, which is supposed to be a GHB3 is REALLY a GHB3....

@fogbank : Do you had an OG Grasshopper ? Can you compare battery life with the IO ?

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
It’s funny - for the first time in a long while money isn’t an issue with me and I could buy 10 IOs right now but I won’t even buy one until all this stuff shakes out. I WANT an IO but don’t need one as long as my legacy Hopper continues to run well, the lone RMA notwithstanding, and as long as my batteries hold out (mixed results here with older and newer pre-fire batts that were ‘recalled’ yet I continue to vigilantly use a couple of those in rotation; some stored without use until recently haven’t faired well with performance so dormant shelf life is an issue, and it’s possible due to the ‘recall’ of them - we’ll never know!).

So, the waiting and watching continues. I’d love an IO - new, more power, better performance and battery handling management - but the questions and concerns about the batteries themselves keep me on the sidelines until further notice. It’s a shame too. :peace:
Dormant shelf life has always been an issue in my opinion ...

fogbank

The reality is that the IO will improve battery life. Its a cool upgrade.
But it's impossible at this time for us to know if the GHB2 sent with the IO, which is supposed to be a GHB3 is REALLY a GHB3....

@fogbank : Do you had an OG Grasshopper ? Can you compare battery life with the IO ?

Yes I have multiple OG Hoppers and have done tests with them in the past. While the 16 draws on the new Hopper IO battery is one of the highest I have recorded, it is not a record. I had a battery last 18 1/2 draws in an OG SS Hopper once. I have NOT tested the SAME battery in an IO and an OG, so I cannot provide a direct comparison.

Guest399

i have ordered a Grasshopper Power Kit from Maxvapor. not the AC Adapter Kit.
anybody has expirience with the Power Kit ? works it with a 18650 ?

Vaporific

It was confirmed not long ago herein or just before the old FC thread closed down that “GHB3” is a long-term idea. The latest batch of 1000 batteries HL got and hopefully another much larger shipment will be GHB2, just different wrap. I hope shelf life of these is better than the pre fire ones which are garbage. I’m 0 for 2 with the ones taken out of mothballs (kitty litter, and the cells were wrapped in cellophane in the litter). I like the idea of the IO making better use of battery life but it’s only possible at the expense of the battery, which needs to be better and more consistent IMO :twocents::peace:

EDIT: the above was paraphrased from @vapviking’s post :tup: not long ago and predicated on additional capital. Whether HL received it and applied it to what many assume to be GHB3 with the latest shipment of batteries is the real question. My opinion is the latest shipment of batteries is just the newest GHB2s (and HL should remove reference of it from their site).

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
It was confirmed not long ago herein or just before the old FC thread closed down that “GHB3” is a long-term idea. The latest batch of 1000 batteries HL got and hopefully another much larger shipment will be GHB2, just different wrap. I hope shelf life of these is better than the pre fire ones which are garbage. I’m 0 for 2 with the ones taken out of mothballs (kitty litter, and the cells were wrapped in cellophane in the litter). I like the idea of the IO making better use of battery life but it’s only possible at the expense of the battery, which needs to be better and more consistent IMO :twocents::peace:

EDIT: the above was paraphrased from @vapviking’s post :tup: not long ago and predicated on additional capital. Whether HL received it and applied it to what many assume to be GHB3 with the latest shipment of batteries is the real question. My opinion is the latest shipment of batteries is just the newest GHB2s (and HL should remove reference of it from their site).
I thought the same thing and said so before, but someone pulled forth a quote from post-fire saying that the batteries being manufactured are GHB3 ... let me dig it up ... (I remember the same as you but have already been corrected ... :lol: ...)

Edit: Hopper io by Hopper Labs

Edit Edit: So I have no idea what to believe ... I'd say I'm leaning at about a 30-40% chance the new cells are GHB3's ... HL has indicated both that they are GHB3's and GHB2's depending what message/post/conversation you are talking about .... and the labels say they are GHB2's ... and the web site says they are GHB3's ... who knows ... again ... pretty standard practice for HL ... misdirection and confusing information followed by ghosting its existing customer base for extended periods of time while soaking a new customer base (and some of their existing) for additional yet to be available products ... some that have already been sold but not delivered to existing customers ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom