Discontinued Hopper io

CaptVapor

So still have to rely on Hopper Labs for batteries eh? I have always loved my buddy's grasshopper, excellent performance through water. The io seems to have addressed build issues so now I just hope Hopper Labs can deliver within time-frames. What the heck, I'm in to take a gamble!

YetAnotherUsername

Youngster vaporist
I just recieved my discount code in exchange for a body that I initially sent it for repair. Ordered the IO and couldn't be happier. I love the hopper and I love to support its awesome creators. This is by far the most resiliant and best performing vape I have ever owned, even considering any flaws.

Captur-Files-392.png

Question for anyone in the European Union. Do you have any issues recieving hoppers from customs?

Around last year, maybe 2 years ago, I recieved a spare Ti body and got a call from customs. I declared its an electronic cigarette and to my surprise the customs officer said it is ILLEGALL to import any e-cigaretes from outside of European Union. I was super bummed and then he called me back, said he checked the hopper and "it's just a metal tube, not a vaporizer", so either I got lucky or the vape simply doesn't meet legal cryteria for an electronic cigarette in the EU. This is not related to the CE certification.

Is this also the case for other Europeans? For now I explicity asked GH, twice, to declare the device as "metal tube and electronics", as suggested by the customs officer I spoke to on the phone.

lookhigh

FC member
All depends on what is on the customs declaration.
As a rule i make sure the company is willing to fill the form in without mentioning a vaporizer.
Also import tax will be a lot on that amount.

lookhigh,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
So far, for the offered discount, I recall seeing tales of $85, then $80 and now $70.
Am I recalling this incorrectly?
Are my Grasshoppers being de-valued by this process?

One thing making me feel better is looking at my original receipt. I bought 3 ss og's at $135 each. So an offer of $70 toward a swap sounds better in this light.
However, I have a Ti I purchased for $180 and later purchased a Ti for about $240 and I would not be as happy to swap at these rates.

The offer is essentially to buy back the lifetime warranty for $70 and get them off the merry-go-round they created. The balance on the new io, $239, allows a nice way to cover that loss. What a system!

I also have the distinct feeling that no warranty repairs are happening atm anyway.
I was able to initiate a new warranty request(!) last week, on the new site, which can't be done on the old site.
I got a reply same day that they will let me know when it's time to send my unit in, they're currently busy with "a build". Until then my status is "in line for return." :|

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
I declared its an electronic cigarette and to my surprise the customs officer said it is ILLEGALL to import any e-cigaretes from outside of European Union.
You are better off telling them it is an aromatherapy heater not an e-cig. The Aromatherapy Heater Harmonized code is 8516.79, hopefully HL uses this code on international shipments so customs officials aren't wondering what's inside and research it on their own. Even still, there are no guarantees and laws at federal level with customs are different country by country inside of the EU IIRC.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
So far, for the offered discount, I recall seeing tales of $85, then $80 and now $70.
It depends whether you have a legacy SS or Ti model was the explanation provided earlier. SS -> $80 and Ti -> $85. Anything other than those I have no ideas on how it’s being determined. Any inconsistency with those figures is out of my jurisdiction too. I questioned the different values too though I’m not trading in anything - just curious, that’s all. I noticed the different amounts cited by folks and wanted to understand the difference - which is attributed to the different legacy models. :peace::peace:

YetAnotherUsername

Youngster vaporist

This is the offer I got on 31.12.2019 (I have/had Titanium Hopper body in repair):

John (Hopper Labs) said:
We are sorry it has taken so long for your warranty to be completed. The recent fire has caused some setbacks, and we are doing everything we can to reach a quick resolution for your warranty request. We have a few options for you at this time. You are welcome to choose one of the following options.

1. Your unit was not destroyed in the fire, and the warranty service can still be completed. Your charger might be replaced with a small external charger. We will need 60 days to complete this.
2. We can offer you a brand new of the same grade (Titanium) Grasshopper for $120. It will ship in 1-2 weeks.
3. We can offer you $70 off the Hopper io, our new vaporizer that will replace the Grasshopper. Please let us know if you would like to take advantage of any of these options.

They assured me everyone gets the same deal so this is what everyone else should have recieved.

You are better off telling them it is an aromatherapy heater not an e-cig. The Aromatherapy Heater Harmonized code is 8516.79, hopefully HL uses this code on international shipments so customs officials aren't wondering what's inside and research it on their own. Even still, there are no guarantees and laws at federal level with customs are different country by country inside of the EU IIRC.

THANK YOU! This is more than I was hoping for! Have a great day =)

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It depends whether you have a legacy SS or Ti model was the explanation provided earlier. SS -> $80 and Ti -> $85. Anything other than those I have no ideas on how it’s being determined. Any inconsistency with those figures is out of my jurisdiction too. I questioned the different values too though I’m not trading in anything - just curious, that’s all. I noticed the different amounts cited by folks and wanted to understand the difference - which is attributed to the different legacy models. :peace::peace:
I hope this isn't just a feedback loop. I think I may have been the one that speculated about the 80 or 85 for SS or TI!

vapviking,
Reactions: Vaporific

Vaporific

I hope this isn't just a feedback loop. I think I may have been the one that speculated about the 80 or 85 for SS or TI!
It might’ve been you, I don’t recall. The explanation however is plausible. Let’s see how HL handles this - and I’m sure we’ll hear from others on this again once the io is launched. :peace:

Still waiting for my Ti PFE that I ordered upon proof reading the new io web site. Order status says In Progress from the beginning and a private email with HL suggests they shipped it out yesterday but I’m not sure that’s the case. To be continued... :peace:

Vaporific,

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
I still need to buy one of those silicon things, cause my hopper mouthpiece gets stupid hot. For people who own it, does it help a lot with the hot feeling? Or not much different?

rnartian,
Reactions: dimmusp

david8613

I still need to buy one of those silicon things, cause my hopper mouthpiece gets stupid hot. For people who own it, does it help a lot with the hot feeling? Or not much different?

Buy a high performance front from hopper and put one of those 510 drip tips in glass, I can run her at max temp and handle heat no problem versus without it. Regular tip too hot for sure.

YetAnotherUsername

Youngster vaporist
Last edited:
YetAnotherUsername,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Friend, I went through 7 or 8 Crafties in 3 years, and Storz&Bickel refused to repair my device after warranty ended. Even for extra cash. Really puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
And currently Hopper Labs won't repair your Grasshopper or sell you a battery to power one. Like Paul Simon said in Afterlife, "You gotta fill out a form first, then you wait in the line."

I've had a Mighty for 4 years with no service required. In less time I've had about 20 warranty requests for 4 Grasshoppers.
But I think comparing HL to S&B gets us nowhere, and is somewhat off-topic.

vapviking,
Reactions: lazylathe

Vaporific

Guys is a rotating drip tip as good as it seems convinent?
I dunno. I think it would be a bit harder to keep clean with rotation. But then again I use my Ti Hopper natively sans silicone and just keep the temp down. I seldom use anything with it for cooling or filtration. That’s just minimalistic me. I do have silicone tips on hand but rarely use them.

Maybe with the added horsepower of the io folks may look more into cooling options or the PFE, one of which should show up at my door any day now. It’ll be interesting to try that for the first time. Of course moderating temp will still be key for me anyway. Happy weekend all! :peace:

Vaporific,

david8613

I dunno. I think it would be a bit harder to keep clean with rotation. But then again I use my Ti Hopper natively sans silicone and just keep the temp down. I seldom use anything with it for cooling or filtration. That’s just minimalistic me. I do have silicone tips on hand but rarely use them.

Maybe with the added horsepower of the io folks may look more into cooling options or the PFE, one of which should show up at my door any day now. It’ll be interesting to try that for the first time. Of course moderating temp will still be key for me anyway. Happy weekend all! :peace:

What temp do you use? Are you able to get avb nice and dark? I start around 3 and finish close to 5 by then she would be too hot for me native. That's why I use pfe, and glass drip tip, it helps alot with heat on lips.

I think if you are gonna use a drip tip get glass, seems to absorb, and dissipate heat way better than metal drip tips. I use the glass tips with a brass base I think the brass helps too. I ordered some bent glass drip tips recently, should be cool when they arrive.

I dont know about the rotating tips, looks like something will get gunked up.

david8613,

Vaporific

What temp do you use? Are you able to get avb nice and dark? I start around 3 and finish close to 5 by then she would be too hot for me native. That's why I use pfe, and glass drip tip, it helps alot with heat on lips.
I start around 2.7 or 2.8 and usually finish low 3s. AVB is pretty consistent and medium brown. And this is after my RMA - prior to it the frontend and backend got hot and AVB definitely not as good. My Ti runs well now and I just don’t use silicone or filtration often.

I think the PFE was introduced because many initially didn’t like the hot frontend and wanted a better glass connection option. I’ve never used a PFE and mine’s en route though I doubt I’ll get it before I hop on a plane tomorrow. My Hopper is coming with me however. And it’s nice to say that because it wasn’t reliable prior to it’s RMA. The PFE will take some getting used to and I’ll be using it mostly natively too. It’s just a personal preference.

I can’t imagine the io mated with a PFE. That sounds incredible though - more horsepower and improved air flow. What’s not to like about that? I do hope it works well at lower temps too for folks like me who keep things simple - and native. :peace:

Top Bottom