• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
With my friend waiting ~1.5 years (maybe more I lost track) on a replacement, I will let others "beta" test this one. If it proves to be reliable then maybe.

We are sorry for the past warranty wait times. As was standard in our past, we will have service that is completed in 1-2 weeks. The issues with the past heater manufacturer are well documented. We make the heater in-house now so we don't have the same issue happen again.

MoltenTiger

The device only has minor exterior changes that are intended to improve usability.

It will have the same "new style" ring cable. The charging speed has been boosted slightly through efficiency gains. Type-C is coming in future products.
Can you reduce the amount of thread turns so swapping batteries is easier?

Are you using the same SMD dual LED in the IO?
Could you include a battery level indication? If the red light is used solely for charging indication (because of the 'instant on', which should be straight to green), say if you twisted the temp dial from 5-1-5, the red light could show a pattern indicating charge level? Depends if you can fit voltage detection inside I suppose. I don't know if indication would really be that useful anyway, but it would be a nice addition.

If you can make the clip detach without unthreading the whole back end, it would make a great stoker/scraper. Or simply if the back end disconnected more easily, but there's nothing retaining the battery when it's off, so although the clip works very well as a scraper, I don't use it as one unless I'm really stuck out.
I suspect the ABV will be easier to remove with 221°C max temp usage anyway.

I'm super keen!

Are there any other future products with USB-C that I can look forward to that aren't the HBC?

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Could you include a battery level indication? If the red light is used solely for charging indication (because of the 'instant on', which should be straight to green), say if you twisted the temp dial from 5-1-5, the red light could show a pattern indicating charge level? Depends if you can fit voltage detection inside I suppose. I don't know if indication would really be that useful anyway, but it would be a nice addition.

If you can make the clip detach without unthreading the whole back end, it would make a great stoker/scraper. Or simply if the back end disconnected more easily, but there's nothing retaining the battery when it's off, so although the clip works very well as a scraper, I don't use it as one unless I'm really stuck out.

I'm super keen!

Are there any other future products with USB-C that I can look forward to that aren't the HBC?
The Hopper peeps could have done (maybe they did?) a discreet poll of users in advance of io -- and I'm thinking you could have been a key individual in that pursuit.

I guess they've had input all along, through the interwebs.

The new io sounds like it could be a super vape. Seems to be a nice refinement/evolution of the design, though I think it is representing just that, a refined OG, not so much an all new product. A lot of previous issues look to be smoothed out; this was the necessity of the time for HL.

My hope, and I think it may be HL's, is that the io is the path leading out of the wilderness and into a sane and stable product and business (= happy hopper family). Almost anyone who has really experienced the working Grasshopper will happily convert the finicky one for the new & improved one, right? And for HL, no more carousel of endless repair. Hey, I said, "hope".

But for the wish list @MoltenTiger may offer, this was not the time. Not enough cash to develop these bigger modifications at this time. Plus we've heard the parts are all done, just waiting for assembly (& batteries).

MoltenTiger

The Hopper peeps could have done (maybe they did?) a discreet poll of users in advance of io -- and I'm thinking you could have been a key individual in that pursuit.

I guess they've had input all along, through the interwebs.

The new io sounds like it could be a super vape. Seems to be a nice refinement/evolution of the design, though I think it is representing just that, a refined OG, not so much an all new product. A lot of previous issues look to be smoothed out; this was the necessity of the time for HL.

My hope, and I think it may be HL's, is that the io is the path leading out of the wilderness and into a sane and stable product and business (= happy hopper family). Almost anyone who has really experienced the working Grasshopper will happily convert the finicky one for the new & improved one, right? And for HL, no more carousel of endless repair. Hey, I said, "hope".

But for the wish list @MoltenTiger may offer, this was not the time. Not enough cash to develop these bigger modifications at this time. Plus we've heard the parts are all done, just waiting for assembly (& batteries).
I agree that the io does sound super. Very much so. Having used super charged Grasshopper V1s (combusting units, and units obviously running @ >210°C) this is going to make some waves.

I think most would be happy if what you say is true, that older units can be converted to the newer version. This would mean re-using the enclosure and whatever componentry is consistent between design BOMs. So the threading will probably stay the same, which isn't too bad, I can swap a battery pretty quickly, ideally I'd like a magnetic back end, the BCG has spoiled me by removing threads, but if it's possible, faster back-end removal would be about the only improvement I think I'd want over the original, besides not having to wait, and having a system that is better tuned for power delivery and longevity.

Perhaps those who are still waiting should get a free upgrade. I'll happily pay to upgrade all my units, should it prove worthy. As it is, my current fleet is doing wonders and not leaving me wanting. But I do expect this new device to be properly ultimate.

At the top of my wish list is epic success, wouldn't that be deserved and totally enjoyable.

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer

I'm super keen!

1. We will not be reducing the thread count on the backend at this time.
2. No, there are now a number of LEDs to provide even lighting out of the holes. The color is white, it looks great.
3. There is more feedback on battery state now based around new software modes that allow "low power mode" so you can keep vaping longer.
4. There are future products with Type-C coming

MoltenTiger

2. No, there are now a number of LEDs to provide even lighting out of the holes. The color is white, it looks great.
3. There is more feedback on battery state now based around new software modes that allow "low power mode" so you can keep vaping longer.
1. I can deal with that. Can you upgrade my HT unit? Especially interested because that is my favourite unit. With the back end, you mentioned injection molding the temp indicators (?) Is it possible to do this with an old unit to retain the psychedelic finish on the dial?
2. Dope. Good choice, and that is another wish - evenly dispersed luminescence. :cool:
3. Well, that does sound good indeed. I was just thinking that I'll save some old batteries for direct usage, in hope that new batteries might boost performance further, and the old might allow cooler hits. But really it's going to be all about this new device. How does one engage "low power mode"
4. Noice

:leaf:

Last edited:

stickstones

Vapor concierge

stoked! Any differences to the mouthpiece to cool the vapor?

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
There is no direct cooling added to the mouthpiece. Cooling of the vapor has been a topic of discussion for a long time. It has always been our goal to make the device as efficient as possible. Cooling the vapor from the Hopper would be a step in the wrong direction. If the vapor is cooled it will begin to condense and return to a semisolid state preventing inhalation of the constituents. Those constituents present themselves as gummy/oily build up in other devices and you never see any benefit from them.

Short, hot vapor paths yield the highest extraction efficiency which gives you more "effect" per draw, more bang-for-your-buck on your herbs, and allow you to use the device for a shorter session to achieve the same results.

Perhaps we will build an additional cooling mouthpiece in the future but we do want the stock device to deliver as much of the product as possible.

Baron23

There is no direct cooling added to the mouthpiece. Cooling of the vapor has been a topic of discussion for a long time. It has always been our goal to make the device as efficient as possible. Cooling the vapor from the Hopper would be a step in the wrong direction. If the vapor is cooled it will begin to condense and return to a semisolid state preventing inhalation of the constituents. Those constituents present themselves as gummy/oily build up in other devices and you never see any benefit from them.

Short, hot vapor paths yield the highest extraction efficiency which gives you more "effect" per draw, more bang-for-your-buck on your herbs, and allow you to use the device for a shorter session to achieve the same results.

Perhaps we will build an additional cooling mouthpiece in the future but we do want the stock device to deliver as much of the product as possible.
Personally I agree completely. If users want to add cooling, that’s easily done in a number of ways.

I always viewed the GH as a vape engine.

Brewervapesalot

You need an easily attachable cooling mouthpiece/unit if you want guys like me to be interested.

I'm all for efficiency to a point, but it's not my end game as I am extremely wasteful with herb (toss as soon as flavor diminishes) and as prices go down and people grow themselves more--the need for efficiency is a very secondary concern for many.

The need to deal with hot ass vapor is more important to me. Not pleasant. Terrible for lungs.

Requiring the buyer to rely on aftermarket cooling for a $300 portable device is too expensive?? It is for me, and I can afford any vaporizer.

:2c:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Attach to waterpipe? Or turn the power down and follow the instructions here: https://www.grasshoppervape.com/information/tips-and-tricks/ - namely #3.

"3. Take Short, Firm Draws
Other vapes require a slow and steady draw that lasts between 30 and 90 seconds. This type of draw is not ideal for the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper comes equipped with a very powerful 45-watt heater, a microcontroller to monitor temperature in real-time and a very short vapor path. Its design allows for quick and easy vaporization. Your draw should be faster than with other vapes and last 15-20 seconds. Near the end of your draw, click the device off to allow for all the vapor and warm air to be cleared from the chamber. For longer sessions consider a PFE and 14mm-18mm adapter to use directly on the device or through a bubbler. "

I can use my 'hopper on max temp with even the standard mouthpiece with no issues.

@Hopper Labs - are you referring to the HBC when you say future products will use USB-C, or are there other things planned?

Do you have any pics you can share of the white light? I'm really curious to see how that looks! :haw:

slozukimc

As far as cooling goes the best solution I have found so far is an old W9 Nibbler for the DT wax vapes with a silicone container made into an adapter. Works great even without water.

I would like to see some numbers of overall Hopper sales VS units in for RMA. By the high serial numbers on new units it looks like multiple thousands of units are out there working just fine and we hear about the minority of units with problems on the web. As we all know folks will bitch and complain way more often than they will spread praise.

ZC

I just used my hopper for the first time in a while, and it really works well as a heavy hitting stealthy portable. The mouthpiece and vapor feel cool enough to me unless I do a lot of hits at once. But sneaking in a hit every 30 minutes or so and the thing is an absolute monster.

For the new one:
Will the existing PFE be compatible with the new hopper?
Will my GBH2 batteries work?

I really respect Grasshopper not only doubling down on the short airpath but explaining why it's important to them.

My wishlist included:
PFE as standard. The stock pen looking mouthpiece is pointless when the PFE offers a more versitile and comfortable experience.

Replace the clicker with draw to vape tech like on many concentrate pens. If it's truly "instant" heating we don't need to manually turn on, wait to heat, and then turn off. It should just be on when we're inhaling, for the simplest, stealthiest use, and eliminate any chance of accidentally turning the heater on.

Either ditch the clip or improve it. The current clip looks ugly and cheap and scratches the body. It's small enough that I never use it but big enough to feel in the way.

btka

Non the less I would recommend a extra cooling mouthpiece designed by the heads of hopperlabs... when most of the people using glass, bubblers and other things to cool hopper vapor... the efficient short vapor path is not important... it is one if the selling points of ghost vaporizer and people are happy with it... I want a cooling mouthpiece or I would not buy a hopper again...

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I can appreciate HL's straightforward approach to the heat vs. cooling issue, in the interests of efficiency and potency. Up til now, they want to let that be hopper's function and so it's been a "cooling by others" thing.
Let the market respond!

The experience is not binary, nor is the decision process in the design & build of a product (or anything else).
At various points, designers made tons of decisions; the mp a certain length (=distance from heater) and certain thickness, taper and certain hole size, etc. All of these have some impact on heat received by the user. Plus those two funnels inside. Why are they there if not to protect the user from scalding?
User response is varying and I kinda like the diversity of approaches folks take.

HL already has one cooling system for sale; the pfe and bubbler combination. I use pfe and my own bubbler on occasion.

My style involves multiple hits, I don't want to wait long in between and so I use the silicone cover when going native.
Sometimes I use a pfe-only, but even that soon gets hot (for me; I know this is all relative to the individual, shit my lungs are almost 70yrs and have become much more 'delicate'....). So I put on a very short length of silicone tubing, cut off flush with the end.

I think a good approach might be a mp similar to pfe in size, but with its' own end cover (mouth contact point) and some glass beads or foil baffles or some such internals. Easily cleanable, please. Some here a coming very, very close to this, but with disparate parts. I'd like to see a one-piece front end that does it all, with it's own threads to the body. hmmm...

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Joining you guys and gals from the main HL thread. Howdy - :peace:

No more red & blue? What’s the new lighting scheme?

Those of us who like to use our Hopper in the dark at night want to know :):peace:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
I love that the Hopper's default configuration has no cooling unit. My main gripe with devices like the Crafty (other than non removable batteries) is the fact that the cooling unit condenses a shit ton of vapor and in turn your product doesn't go nearly as far. One bowl in the Hopper is equivalent to the effects of 1.5-2 bowls in vapes that have effective cooling units in my experience. If you want cooler vapor stick it in a bong or bubbler. If you want cool vapor on the go grab one of the many other options available.

I dont think a cooling mouthpiece would be a horrible idea as an extra accessory like the PFE but it definitely shouldn't be a main focus IMO.

yeswecann

Well let's kick things off then shall we . . . ?

Release date is currently set to April 2020 and it appears that preorder reservations are still available for $99 here:
https://www.grasshoppervape.com/store/product/electric-blue-grasshopper/

pre__order-2.b5386548f5c6.jpg

I know I'm definitely looking forward to this . . . . so I guess I may as well settle in and enjoy the ride.

:peace:
Is anyone still actually giving Grasshopper $s?

You'd have to be out of your mind to pre order the IO considering the history of this company.

Make me eat my words hopperlabs
This

Last edited by a moderator:

MoltenTiger

Is anyone still actually giving Grasshopper $s?

This
definitely happy with my purchases so far, and the next version is going to be awesome. People will still be giving money to companies who sold out to big investment dealers, who end up releasing products that are very questionable and causing serious potential health detriments. At least when the GH malfunctions it simply stops working as desired, and that's that. Plenty of models out there aren't performing desirably, who could care if they never fail if they're no good to begin with. I may have become jaded in my third year since any hopper troubles but.

I give so much more money to my weed man, and I'm happy to do it. A few bones thrown towards tech that allows me to get the most out of more significant expenditure merely represents small change in the grand scheme of things. My hoppers have processed many ounces over many growing seasons at this point.

If I didn't have working units and had been further caught up after long waits for RMA and on top had to wait for the fire situation to resolve, I would definitely be hesitant to pre-order another unit, however I'd be more put off trying to find a viable alternative for my usage.

The io is going to be the best portable unit by a significant margin, and I would be surprised if it has as many teething issues as the original hopper considering it is very similar, just massively upgraded. I'm still stoked with my OG retail backer hopper.

The GH is an upgrade, for my usage, over any available portable model, so the only unit that will actually beat it is the io when it is released. So how could I not pre-order? That would be crazy.

Grepper

Truth to prevail
definitely happy with my purchases so far, and the next version is going to be awesome. People will still be giving money to companies who sold out to big investment dealers, who end up releasing products that are very questionable and causing serious potential health detriments. At least when the GH malfunctions it simply stops working as desired, and that's that. Plenty of models out there aren't performing desirably, who could care if they never fail if they're no good to begin with. I may have become jaded in my third year since any hopper troubles but.

I give so much more money to my weed man, and I'm happy to do it. A few bones thrown towards tech that allows me to get the most out of more significant expenditure merely represents small change in the grand scheme of things. My hoppers have processed many ounces over many growing seasons at this point.

If I didn't have working units and had been further caught up after long waits for RMA and on top had to wait for the fire situation to resolve, I would definitely be hesitant to pre-order another unit, however I'd be more put off trying to find a viable alternative for my usage.

The io is going to be the best portable unit by a significant margin, and I would be surprised if it has as many teething issues as the original hopper considering it is very similar, just massively upgraded. I'm still stoked with my OG retail backer hopper.

The GH is an upgrade, for my usage, over any available portable model, so the only unit that will actually beat it is the io when it is released. So how could I not pre-order? That would be crazy.

You must have extraordinary luck. I was an original early bird backer and had ten rmas within a year. At least half of those were dead on arrival. And I'm no outlier. I truly don't believe you have had a working hopper for 3 years. If so, it has been in a drawer the entire time.

Maybe pages and pages of horror stories would be a good incentive to not preorder? Seriously. Just a few posts earlier and someone was talking about a 1.5yr rma request that has been unfulfilled. ONE AND A HALF YEARS. But they are sorry lol (insert South Parks we're sorry meme) Completely unacceptable. Do you just put the blinders on and gloss over those posts? You really think that won't happen to you? Mind boggling.

MoltenTiger

You must have extraordinary luck. I was an original early bird backer and had ten rmas within a year. At least half of those were dead on arrival. And I'm no outlier. I truly don't believe you have had a working hopper for 3 years. If so, it has been in a drawer the entire time.

Maybe pages and pages of horror stories would be a good incentive to not preorder? Seriously. Just a few posts earlier and someone was talking about a 1.5yr rma request that has been unfulfilled. ONE AND A HALF YEARS. But they are sorry lol (insert South Parks we're sorry meme) Completely unacceptable. Do you just put the blinders on and gloss over those posts? You really think that won't happen to you? Mind boggling.
I have been fortunate to have avoided the periods where things were particularly bad. Buying units in 2015, 2016 and 2018 was a good choice, late 2017 was a bad year for new units and I avoided that, which was lucky in a sense. I bought again in 2018 to get the new HL made heater, to take advantage of 35% off, and to get a pimped out HT unit, it seemed like a safe bet considering all that's been disclosed.
It has proved to be my best unit, it has never skipped a beat, it's 2 year anniversary is Jan May 21st. (Post RMA 1 year strong Jan 21st) (I guess I'm a little far ahead of myself, but basically it's been long enough that I feel like I've got my money's worth and with three working units soon to be over a year strong, it's the best innings of my 4 years of ownership - all I wanted the hopper to do was get to this point, now that it has I feel confident I made the better choice for myself over the Mighty, which would have been my alternate back in 2015 but I couldn't be bothered with non replaceable batteries, plastic fracturing and a 3 year lifespan. I've beat that now with my OG hopper, so I have no qualms getting the next version and probably whatever else is in store).

I filed 11 RMA tickets between May 2016 and Nov 2017 (one for a stripped mouthpiece, 10 for unit failures) and since then nothing, so I'm in my third year without issues and it's very nice.

Every evening and day off is a good one, made better by instant convection of a sacred herb. The hopper is the absolute shit. I feel bad for those still in limbo, but I know it's worth it on the otherside, so I don't feel too bad and neither should they. Once they get there just deserts it will be smiles all round I guarantee

Last edited:

derosavapore

Solo canotto!
Woah.... What a story!
I do understand all points here from love to hate. Me and my two problematic hoppers.
In Europe rma is the last thing we need,so I baby my hoppers but bot without problems. Batteries weak and fast turned into garbage.
And so on, you know for yourself. But imagine that machine really working...
Come on, so good.
The only thing what can replace it ( just for me ) is RBTs Z. Even if very satisfied with it, a reliable gh on demand... Fantastic or not?

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Attach to waterpipe? Or turn the power down and follow the instructions here: https://www.grasshoppervape.com/information/tips-and-tricks/ - namely #3.

"3. Take Short, Firm Draws
Other vapes require a slow and steady draw that lasts between 30 and 90 seconds. This type of draw is not ideal for the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper comes equipped with a very powerful 45-watt heater, a microcontroller to monitor temperature in real-time and a very short vapor path. Its design allows for quick and easy vaporization. Your draw should be faster than with other vapes and last 15-20 seconds. Near the end of your draw, click the device off to allow for all the vapor and warm air to be cleared from the chamber. For longer sessions consider a PFE and 14mm-18mm adapter to use directly on the device or through a bubbler. "

I can use my 'hopper on max temp with even the standard mouthpiece with no issues.

@Hopper Labs - are you referring to the HBC when you say future products will use USB-C, or are there other things planned?

Do you have any pics you can share of the white light? I'm really curious to see how that looks! :haw:

There are other type-c products planned. Something very new, but we are working on finishing up the other projects first.

Joining you guys and gals from the main HL thread. Howdy - :peace:

No more red & blue? What’s the new lighting scheme?

Those of us who like to use our Hopper in the dark at night want to know :):peace:

The only color is now white. Perhaps you can convince me to post a photo soon. ;)

Top Bottom