Discontinued Hopper io

D

Deleted member 66001

Hey guys, can the Hopper be used for long slow hits? I did a very brief google search and it appears that Hopper themselves say it's made for short blasts. But they also said no more than 20 seconds, and I don't know, but 20 seconds doesn't seem to bad. Anyone?

MoltenTiger

Finally got a tracking number, but no email. Paid on the 7th, picked up on the 17th.
Traded in a legacy Ti and all outstanding purchases (HBC pre-order and several batts, engraving fees). Put towards an SS io and coupled with a discount, it worked out as a no brainer.
Pretty keen to try another io and see the SS in person.

The legacy had a checkered past, overall it was exceptionally worthwhile owning it, but it wound up needing 7 repairs during its almost 4 year lifespan. The cost was basically negligible given the lifestyle change it helped realise. It's last working lifespan was about 18 months, and it was in warranty limbo for 13 before that. Not not frustrating, but easily manageable all things considered.
I have two legacies on my account which I would class as golden samples, they've never needed any claims and have been very much hassle free and amazing. My HT Ti has been delegated as a DMT pen which is really a super interesting and intense use case. Truly beyond amazing and offers such a healing and lasting experience.
My Ti io lives attached to a mains power adapter and I consider the combo a must have item. I've figured out an easier way to do it too, ala Lamarts Mains adapter and the MW 200W 4V PSU. It's tempting to take it on as a project. Instant relief at any given time. I still use the Sublimator as it is such a wonderful powerhouse, but coupled with the hopper it all works so swimmingly.

HL might not exist at the scale required to really function properly, but given that they're still doing their thing and producing such an awesome utility, I still fully support them and I suppose have little regard for end users and the common problems with high tech drug dispensers. It's not like I don't share similar reactions from time to time (across different products/brands too), but I don't ever want it actually affecting me and think that's how it should be. If the heater stops working, the plant still will. They seem to do what they can to make things work for the customer and themselves, but it is a timely process, though the pay-off outweighs the cost in my books.
I regard it as a reasonably ethical entirely too ambitious project. They've clearly bitten off more than can be chewed, but here we are after all these years. I still don't own a Mighty, nor do I want to. I don't wish for a similar take over for HL even though it might help ease some aspects, given the success of the io and the overall timeline, a little patience can allow for eventual satisfaction, and it's extremely satisfying.

I probably average 25-35s hits with the hoppers, sometimes more sometimes less. I'm thrilled with the vapour production and the effects every single time too. It's simply one of the best tools for the job.

I've had a back end replacement with the io and I suspect there is a design issue there which seems to be one last thing to stamp out.

When the legacy launched it was still being iterated and now they are seemingly so close to realising their vision of their best vape possible.

If I was Bezos rich I'd see to it that everyone had access to the sub and the hopper. It makes life much improved, everyone could use that and I am simply loving it.
I look forward to the future innovation of Hopper Labs and the continuous evolution of their superior technology. They are a niche category amongst some of the strangest times.

Last edited:

someTooL

While charging the SS io tonight it turned on by itself. I always initially keep and eye on it when I first hook it up to make sure I’ve got the correct light pattern. I noticed that right after I got charging lights, the lights went solid. Yep, reached for it and it had already started getting hot. It was on.

First time this has happened on the SS and I’ve never experienced it with the Ti.

I’ll continue to monitor upon initial charge but on the bright side...it still pumps out the tasty goodness.

tryingtowin

- UPDATE ON MY IO FROM JUNE -

My IO has been workng great but maybe about a month or 2 after getting it, similar problems others have mentioned as far as the power button needing to be pressed twice back to back to turn on or off. It wouldn't always do it..maybe a couple times a month. Then a couple months passed and it did it a few times a week to a few times a day.

Then one day about a few days ago, I go to turn the temp down from 5 to 3 and i hear a slight grinding noise and the dial got hard to turn. To me it sounds like the small board inside the dial scraped up against something and possibly chipped something off or broke because now when i go to turn it on, it will flash like a low battery flash and it wont turn on at all now. Yes I tried multiple brand new hb3 batteries and tested my old OG hopper backend on my IO and the IO works flawlessly with the old backend and im currently using that setup for now..

So I contacted hopper labs and told them the problem. Replied in 1 day and had a new backend shipped out within 2 days. Impressed with their new speedy response.

I just read a comment about electrical cleaner..I wonder if it's worth trying?

jabba

I just read a comment about electrical cleaner..I wonder if it's worth trying?
It likely would cause no additional harm...but I am not certain. You already have a new back end otw. I would just wait for the replacement if it were me. Hopefully you have another piece to tide you over.

fogbank

Hey guys, can the Hopper be used for long slow hits? I did a very brief google search and it appears that Hopper themselves say it's made for short blasts. But they also said no more than 20 seconds, and I don't know, but 20 seconds doesn't seem to bad. Anyone?
I've used OG Hoppers for years, and I purchased an IO Hopper as soon as they were available. At first I was drawing faster/harder with the new IO, but I was not impressed by the performance (especially when compared to the OG). I started drawing longer and slower and the performance really improved.

That being said, I don't draw for 20 seconds. I usually draw for about ten seconds ( maybe a little more than that since I count a little slower than a second hand moves).

In any case I found that slowing down my draws on the IO resulted in better performance, so I would recommend trying it if you are looking for better performance.

DryBonesufo

So the SS Hopper is great. So discreet and so fast to get a cloud. I love this thing. I’ve been taking this everywhere since I received it about a week ago.
The one thing I noticed is that the Hopper TI OG hits a little bit harder? Than the IO. I don’t know if it’s because it’s the SS model but I hit my SS IO at about 4.25 to get the thickness I would get from the TI OG at 3.75.

other than that both of them are working great! This vape for me ( as long as it’s working) is the end all be all of my vaping experience. Just the fact I can click a button and hit a vape that produces potent and thick hits is just amazing. Ordered mine from Vgoodiez as I knew that with HL it would take a little longer.

i never thought I would ever own a Grasshopper of any kind due to their reputation and feedback from customers. I thought I might just try it, now I’m hooked. I’m hoping my units stand the test of time!

D

Deleted member 66001

IIn any case I found that slowing down my draws on the IO resulted in better performance, so I would recommend trying it if you are looking for better performance.

Thanks! But I don't have one, just tryin' to see if it's at all versatile. I like versatile.

Deleted member 66001,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Thanks! But I don't have one, just tryin' to see if it's at all versatile. I like versatile.
Hopper seems able to respond to a variety of draw techniques, all of which sound rather sexual as I enumerate them, so I'll leave it brief.
Of course, because it's instant-on and convection, it might take the first few seconds of draw to get vapor production going, after that, yes you have options.

DryBonesufo

I've used OG Hoppers for years, and I purchased an IO Hopper as soon as they were available. At first I was drawing faster/harder with the new IO, but I was not impressed by the performance (especially when compared to the OG). I started drawing longer and slower and the performance really improved.

That being said, I don't draw for 20 seconds. I usually draw for about ten seconds ( maybe a little more than that since I count a little slower than a second hand moves).

In any case I found that slowing down my draws on the IO resulted in better performance, so I would recommend trying it if you are looking for better performance.
My SS IO. I have to take a firm draw and pretty fast to get thick potent vapor, at least with my unit

DryBonesufo,

slozukimc

It will do that but I am not sure any normal breathing human could handle the amount of vapor a slow 20 second draw could produce. Just for kicks I will try it with my IO and Mega Globe after a while and report back. It would be way too hot on the MP end native I think.

edit: has anyone else noticed darker avb at lower settings than they get on max with the IO? I have been running mine on 5 for darkest avb and biggest clouds. I turned it down to 3.5 and I am getting darker avb, better flavor and huge clouds.

edit 2: I was wrong. A slow 20 second draw through water didn’t make anywhere near as much vapor as it does if you start slow and ramp up your draw to basically as hard as it will allow for about ten seconds. That will slap you in the face hard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 66001

Hopper seems able to respond to a variety of draw techniques, all of which sound rather sexual as I enumerate them

Lol! Stop right there, I know all too well! I swear I could write the foreword in a new edition of The Kama Sutra!

It will do that but I am not sure any normal breathing human could handle the amount of vapor a slow 20 second draw could produce. It would be way too hot on the MP end native I think.

Yup, good point, that would definitely be me!. I seem to handle hot vapor much better than hot stems. Does the silicone sleeve that goes over the MP work fairly well.........and more important, if your used to glass, does it even feel right on your lips??

jabba

Does the silicone sleeve that goes over the MP work fairly well.........and more important, if your used to glass, does it even feel right on your lips??
Subjective but: I quit combusting 5+ years ago after joints, pipes, and bongs. So I've never really felt a strong need for cool vapor.... And the hopper is not a cool vapor producer. I always use natively and always with the silicone tip. I think it works great. I'd imagine that if you were passing a hopper around it could heat up uncomfortably with prolonged continuous use. In my private session uses it works great.... And hoppers are really ideal for my uses.... Less so as a sharable pass around type device. Ymmv

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Lol! Stop right there, I know all too well! I swear I could write the foreword in a new edition of The Kama Sutra!

Does the silicone sleeve that goes over the MP work fairly well.........and more important, if your used to glass, does it even feel right on your lips??
The silicone condom (there I go again...) works fine to keep heat off the lips, but it gets loose over time, and a bit ratty looking (ahem). Six bucks is a lot for this item; a short length of silicone tubing can do the same job.

As I've mentioned recently, I've been using the pfe with just a standard glass adapter 14mm female/18mm male (doh!). Feels like glass to me! Of course, a short j-hook would be more elegant.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I thought I lost my IO yesterday and was searching through my house for it for 20 minutes. I forgot I had it in my water belt with a zippered pocket that I use on exercise walks and used it the prior weekend before the big Nor’easter. Whew!

I’m looking into some J-hooks and Sherlock stems for external cooling options for my OG and IO Hoppers. I also want to replace my lone glass rig my ever curious feline friend broke a couple of months ago. What’s nice about glass is that it could be used for more than one type of vape and I have a few, not many though.

Nearly 3.5 months with my IO and zero issues and it works well. Vapor nearly every time (except at end of load life), battery management works well too and I have relatively new ones, all GHB3s with GHB2 label save one that’s actually labeled GHB3. The threads remain very smooth too and I’ve just been brushing them after every few uses (and soaking the frontend once every few weeks). Backend threads could use a cleaning though not bad at all. Would I buy another Hopper? Likely not with a still-working OG and a new IO but both great to have in my small arsenal. :peace:

DryBonesufo

Having issues with the charging cable. Seems like I need to move it around to get the lights blinking. As soon as it gets moved it stops charging

DryBonesufo,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Reporting back about using electronics contact cleaner on back end, at suggestion of @slozukimc.
I didn't order any of the WD40 pro contact cleaner; I had some CRC QD (Quick Dry) Contact Cleaner on hand, and its says 'leaves no residue.." I knew I wanted to avoid the kinds that add silicone or other 'lubricants'. My old can of stuff had zero propellant left, but plenty of the liquid 'cleaner' came dripping out, so I used that.

The issue is that the back end becomes somewhat unreliable; not powering on when clicked, or the reverse of that. Also, unit might power-on with little or no prompt at all; things like this. Mine was just showing a couple of these -- not going on or off sometimes when clicked.

I sprayed the contact cleaner generously, let it get all inside the back end (back end removed from unit, of course!). I depressed the clicker about half way and that lets more cleaner liquid get in. I clicked and also worked the temp dial back & forth. The let it dry a couple of minutes.

So far, so good. I don't like to go spouting off about a new technique or "fix" when I've only used it once, but for several days now, this clicker has been flawless. I put this in the plus column, for sure!

In other news, a new io is on its way to me, going thru minor USPS confusion at the moment, but might even get here today. This will complete the turnover of my fleet; no more Grasshoppers in the house, just 2 io's, which really should be enough, if...

Traveler

Well, I have a new IO on the way. I never jumped on the wagon when the Hopper first dropped. Time to make up for some lost time. Any tips/tricks/mandatory accessories?

So Far I have garnered the following tips:
  1. take a clearing puff
  2. don't use the charger (I have a nitecore I4)
  3. dont tamp hard
TIA!

Vaporific

Well, I have a new IO on the way. I never jumped on the wagon when the Hopper first dropped. Time to make up for some lost time. Any tips/tricks/mandatory accessories?

1. take a clearing puff
  3. dont tamp hard
TIA!
Congrats. Clean it thoroughly before first use. My IO threads were filthy. I soaked the frontend in ISO as well as cleaned the entire thing with ISO and used Blu-Tac on the threads too (the amount of black stuff that came off was gross). Then a burn off or two before using with flower (or whatever you use). Charge batteries up too. Enjoy! :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way

1. take a clearing puff
  3. dont tamp hard
TIA!
I use the charger all the time, and an external occasionally. You can go either way.
I consider the pfe to be a mandatory accessory; it's the only one wife or I use. She adds a short drip tip and I use a small glass adapter.
Yes, a fluffy pack will make for more open draw, nice clouds, and material can usually slide right out after (with a tap or two).
Enjoy your new toy!

Vaporific

I use the charger all the time, and an external occasionally. You can go either way.
I consider the pfe to be a mandatory accessory; it's the only one wife or I use. She adds a short drip tip and I use a small glass adapter.
Yes, a fluffy pack will make for more open draw, nice clouds, and material can usually slide right out after (with a tap or two).
Enjoy your new toy!
Subjective at best of course - I’d get a leather sleeve or leather case before a PFE. I have them all and use my leather to store and transport my Hoppers (the OG sits in the leather case, a first or early iteration from Delta3DStudios - the best aftermarket purchase I made for my Hoppers - and a second gen leather sleeve from HL which is mainly relegated to the IO and general on-the-go usage). And an external charger too - I prefer charging batts that way but the mag chargers work well too; I use it mostly in my car to top off a battery charge. I have a PFE but seldom use it. The main reason is that it’s longer than the native frontend and the Hopper doesn’t fit as well in the leather items I have than with the standard frontend. A minor annoyance for me but manageable. Happy hunting. :peace:

slozukimc

1. take a clearing puff
  3. dont tamp hard
TIA!
Load sparingly. Like about 70% of the bowl with a light fill. No tamping.
Click it on and draw hard for 6 seconds.
Click it off and draw for 6 more.
I usually get 2, maybe 3 massive hits that way and the bowl is spent.
Always empty your herb while the vape is still hot so it stays nice and clean.
The PFE rocks for glass and better air flow. I have 5 I keep in rotation soaking in ISO for easy cleaning. Pull it out of the ISO and rinse under the faucet.
Spare batteries. Several if you are a heavy user. Everyone should have at least two.
A good bubbler, I like my Mega Globe and Orbiter with the PFE. Massive hits instantly. Amazing for a portable.
Probably more I forgot.
Enjoy your new IO!!

Mr. Me2

1. take a clearing puff
  3. dont tamp hard
TIA!
Be sure to check out gh accessories at https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/custom-3d-printed-vape-accessories-delta-3d-studios.13220/. He has some great stuff that I use all the time.

I recommend a gh stand. I use the mini poke and scoop, but some prefer the funnel. Unfortunately, I don’t think his leather case is available, but it’s a winner!

Happy shopping!

Top Bottom