Discontinued Hopper io

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I swear one of these days I am going to chuck a Hopper up and cut the middle out and graft the ends onto a tube that an 18650 will fit in! I just haven’t been brave enough to try it yet.
This guy did a really nice job on an early 18650 battery pack. I wish the photo was still available:
(the link here is showing you the top of that page, but will take you to the post I'm pointing to)

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
TGIF to all. Just used my IO after finishing work (at home) and dang, it works so well! 3+ months and it’s like first love all over again. I feel terrible for neglecting my working OG, maybe I’ll make it up to it later. My IO has been nothing but consistent since day one and my threads, cleaned once but soon due for cleaning, are silky smooth. The last year or so using my OG heavily before the IO the screen in the frontend of the OG keeps getting lose and I had to occasionally tighten it. Not at all so far with the IO, zero problem though I’m not using my IO now as heavily as my OG then. Also, with relatively new batteries I’m getting at least 4-5 loads per battery and my temp range is 2.5-3.5 now that I’ve gotten more comfortable with it. The Hopper vapor I find a bit harsh and I’m a big native user, and I like to balance out flavor and effect as many do.

I’m really happy with the IO so far. it harkens back to 2016 when I got my OG yet I think HL got the kinks out of the original design and made the IO more consistent and certainly more powerful. I would’ve preferred more of the former with my Ti OG (pre-order) and it has been running better after a year-long RMA which restored more of my faith in HL. That’s one of the reasons I bought an IO thinking HL ironed out a bunch of things on the RMA front leading to what ultimately is the IO. It definitely hits well - I’m feeling a second wave! :D:peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
so... right before I do my review on here... this happens. Reddit post
This happened to me with a relatively new og Grasshopper once. I believe it stems from a manufacturing defect, but yes, aided slightly by some stickiness on the threads.
I doubt it takes much when this is 'ready' to happen.

Imo, I definitely would not attempt to re-install and use the thing.
[EDIT: I think the thin sliver of copper foil shown in your photo is the thread-locking 'device' and probably only good for a single use. I could be mistaken, mine all looked so shaky I didn't even try.]
It also reminds me of an og I had that would give me a shocking burn if I touched the front end and body at the same time (when powered 'on'). I assume bad connection with that 'brain capsule' part. In these devices the body carries current, there are no wires, as most of us here know.

@jabba, you've told us lots now about your own experience, it's all rosey in your world, etc., but sometimes it actually can be a problem with the device and not a fault of the user or the weed; that shouldn't be hard to understand.

Last edited:

DryBonesufo

This happened to me with a relatively new og Grasshopper once. I believe it stems from a manufacturing defect, but yes, aided slightly by some stickiness on the threads.
I doubt it takes much when this is 'ready' to happen.

Imo, I definitely would not attempt to re-install and use the thing.
[EDIT: I think the thin sliver of copper foil shown in your photo is the thread-locking 'device' and probably only good for a single use. I could be mistaken, mine all looked so shaky I didn't even try.]
It also reminds me of an og I had that would give me a shocking burn if I touched the front end and body at the same time (when powered 'on'). I assume bad connection with that 'brain capsule' part. In these devices the body carries current, there are no wires, as most of us here know.

@jabba, you've told us lots now about your own experience, it's all rosey in your world, etc., but sometimes it actually can be a problem with the device and not a fault of the user or the weed; that shouldn't be hard to understand.

Odd part is that it didn’t even wrap around the whole thread only half

DryBonesufo,

DryBonesufo

The other half may still be in the body?
Nope checked everywhere, it was half a wrap, so it was weird. But I think it may have been used as an extra seal for the thread? After assembling it back the way the wrap was on the thread, I can’t unscrew it again

DryBonesufo,

Vaporific

The other half may still be in the body?
I would RMA it. I saw your Reddit post. The thin sliver of material looks broken or part of what I imagine is something more complete. Indeed it may be stuck in the body or it got lost. I wouldn’t use it. Good luck - it’s never happened to me with my OG or IO. :peace:

DryBonesufo

I would RMA it. I saw your Reddit post. The thin sliver of material looks broken or part of what I imagine is something more complete. Indeed it may be stuck in the body or it got lost. I wouldn’t use it. Good luck - it’s never happened to me with my OG or IO. :peace:
I emailed HL, waiting for their reply. Again it was just that half. There is nothing in the body. It’s literally the chip and the nipple end of the battery and the battery is literally right below the air holes and goes through the “brain” of the hopper. It pretty nuts what they did with this device. It’s still working perfectly. Trust me, I’ve checked everywhere and it was half, that’s why I was confused as what it was and why was it half?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I emailed HL, waiting for their reply. Again it was just that half. There is nothing in the body. It’s literally the chip and the nipple end of the battery and the battery is literally right below the air holes and goes through the “brain” of the hopper. It pretty nuts what they did with this device. It’s still working perfectly. Trust me, I’ve checked everywhere and it was half, that’s why I was confused as what it was and why was it half?
On mine it was only about a half of the circle, too. I guess that's normal. It's some sort of thread lock, just in there to jam things up enough so it doesn't come undone easily (usually!). I think.

Glad it's back together for you.

DryBonesufo

On mine it was only about a half of the circle, too. I guess that's normal. It's some sort of thread lock, just in there to jam things up enough so it doesn't come undone easily (usually!). I think.

Glad it's back together for you.
That’s I what I was thinking... a thread lock

DryBonesufo,

DryBonesufo

Interesting thread lock. I am curious what HL would have to say about what it is.
I figured not a lot of people may have experience this before. As I said, I was about to do my review and rip it but I guess my extensive use kind of backfired. I can’t find iso near my stores which is a pain

slozukimc

I figured not a lot of people may have experience this before. As I said, I was about to do my review and rip it but I guess my extensive use kind of backfired. I can’t find iso near my stores which is a pain
I find this interesting as well. I use the hell out of my Hoppers and the only thing I ever have to clean is the front end screen. I think the key is emptying the Hopper while it is still hot and the fact that I almost never screw the front end back on unless the bowl is refilled. It doesn’t have a chance to glue itself together and the threads are always warm when I unscrew them.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I can’t find iso near my stores which is a pain
Iso alcohol was understandably in very short supply in my area, too, for months. I started using the little alcohol prep pads that I finally see are nice for cleaning a lot of vape parts. The ones I happened to get are about 1 inch by 2 inches.
Then I found availability is back on Amazon and splurged on a gallon of 99.9% med grade for about $32 US.
Can always make hand sanitizer out of it!

@slozukimc I agree, I rarely clean chamber, but body threads more often so the front end screws on nicely.
Are you using standard front end? Those definitely need cleaning more than just the screen. Ever soak one overnight, or remove screen and internal parts to see how totally gunked they get?
I use PFE only and every 6 or 8 chambers I rinse it under very hot water, clean as a whistle. It has no hidden places for gunk to accumulate.

Last edited:

slozukimc

Iso alcohol was understandably in very short supply in my area, too, for months. I started using the little alcohol prep pads that I finally see are nice for cleaning a lot of vape parts. The ones I happened to get are about 1 inch by 2 inches.
Then I found availability is back on Amazon and splurged on a gallon of 99.9% med grade for about $32 US.
I did the same with the little pads. Theyvare very inexpensive and super handy for cleaning all sorts of things.

slozukimc,
Reactions: vapviking

slozukimc

@slozukimc I agree, I rarely clean chamber, but body threads more often so the front end screws on nicely.
Are you using standard front end? Those definitely need cleaning more than just the screen. Ever soak one overnight, or remove screen and internal parts to see how totally gunked they get?
I use PFE only and every 6 or 8 chambers I rinse it under very hot water, clean as a whistle. It has no hidden places for gunk to accumulate.
I ise the PFE’s as well. I actually have 5 I keep in rotation in a jar of ISO so they are easy to keep clean.

Vaporific

I can’t find iso near my stores which is a pain
Try grain alcohol if you can find it. I couldn’t find ISO earlier this year and bought a bottle of grain to clean my vape toys. Works very well - and you can dump it down the drain (with just a little guilt over spilling and wasting alcohol, lol). :peace:

EDIT: I try to avoid dumping ISO down the drain.

Top Bottom