Discontinued Hopper io

jabba

The SS IO also has 5 watts less power than the TI IO. But that’s not why I bought a TI IO. I have a legacy/OG Ti Hopper which supposedly didn’t get as hot as the SS version with the same wattage. Mine still gets hot particularly when the battery power starts giving out. Not so much with my 9+ week old TI IO. That has remained relatively cool to the touch. I’m a native user (99% of the time) and my temps are modest at best.

With the IO however there’s a lot more power - and heat. Even trying to dial the temp down it was initially a bit too harsh for me. I’ve acclimated to it though with a different draw technique enabling me to use it on a higher temp (@ 3.5) - so I can feel more effect. I will say I’m enjoying the IO so far and to continue the good vibe the last page or two. Indeed HL has a way to go operationally and customer service-wise yet I think they’ve come quite a way with improving their product. “When it works well, it works well” is an old Hopper adage and I think/hope the IO will uphold that and perhaps leave that saying in the dust since quality and performance will be rigeur du jour (forgive the spelling). Indeed there have been some initial problems but I think it’s been fairly positive from what I’ve read herein. I’ve had a Hopper since 2016 and it’s always had a special place in my vape heart and roster (which is small at best) for its form and function. The former is obvious and the latter, perhaps a bit bumpy early on (I’ve had a few not to mention a year-long RMA like many), seems to have smoothed out quite a bit. The consistency of my IO is fantastic and it’s so nice to have mostly new batteries to go with it. Prior to my OG’s RMA, consistency was hard to come by. After RMA it works very well but does get very warm as described above. The IO is another level of consistency (so far, fingers crossed) with more power. Now only if the air path was a bit longer, LOL! But I do love my Hoppers, I really do. If I want to leave the house I can easily grab one (the IO of course) and just stick it in a pocket - or charge it up in my car. All good! :peace: :peace:
I realize that HL reports 70W for the Ti and 65W for the SS. I had assumed that this was a function of the material (ss vs. ti) and little/nothing to do with actual physical changes to the heater itself....though I am not entirely certain. Either way, 5W for me is not meaningful.

I will say that as a generally 'light' user. I pack my SS io loosely about 1/2 chamber (not much material) and start at about 2-2.5. I get immediate vapor....one or two little pulls...then put it away. Some time or hours later I will do the same...perhaps pushing the dial up to 3'ish. Same immediate vapor. My herb never gets particularly dark at all.....but the vapor production and effects are undeniable. Perhaps my native ways are innately served at low power? Perhaps I avoid the burnt popcorn portion of the sesh without even thinking about it? Not sure really....but I can say that natively....a little goes a long long way. Perhaps not quite Dynavap long.....but for an electric vape.....looooong indeed.

I'd assume that if I keep ripping and turning up the dial....my ABV will become darker. I'm just not sure that I always care to squeeze every drop out of each load. In fact....at the small quantity of material originally applied....I am forever surprised at the amount of pulls and vapor that can be coaxed. Of course...I'm old school at 50 years old'ish...and recall ripping through vast quantities of material in the least efficient means possible lol. So the entire 'vape' thing is an entirely differing animal. For us old timers...it can be difficult to know when to tap out and go for a re-pack.....as it seems you can always squeeze just a little bit more out of any pack.

I have not combusted in about 5 years. I will give a brief 'shout out' to combusting here lol. At least when combusting you knew when the material was gone/dead as it had all turned to ashes lol.

Last edited:

DryBonesufo

I realize that HL reports 70W for the Ti and 65W for the SS. I had assumed that this was a function of the material (ss vs. ti) and little/nothing to do with actual physical changes to the heater itself....though I am not entirely certain. Either way, 5W for me is not meaningful.

I will say that as a generally 'light' user. I pack my SS io loosely about 1/2 chamber (not much material) and start at about 2-2.5. I get immediate vapor....one or two little pulls...then put it away. Some time or hours later I will do the same...perhaps pushing the dial up to 3'ish. Same immediate vapor. My herb never gets particularly dark at all.....but the vapor production and effects are undeniable. Perhaps my native ways are innately served at low power? Perhaps I avoid the burnt popcorn portion of the sesh without even thinking about it? Not sure really....but I can say that natively....a little goes a long long way. Perhaps not quite Dynavap long.....but for an electric vape.....looooong indeed.

I'd assume that if I keep ripping and turning up the dial....my ABV will become darker. I'm just not sure that I always care to squeeze every drop out of each load. In fact....at the small quantity of material originally applied....I am forever surprised at the amount of pulls and vapor that can be coaxed. Of course...I'm old school at 50 years old'ish...and recall ripping through vast quantities of material in the least efficient means possible lol. So the entire 'vape' thing is an entirely differing animal. For us old timers...it can be difficult to know when to tap out and go for a re-pack.....as it seems you can always squeeze just a little bit more out of any pack.

I have not combusted in about 5 years. I will give a brief 'shout out' to combusting here lol. At least when combusting you knew when the material was gone/dead as it had all turned to ashes lol.
I’ve been using the TI OG hopper and I love it so far. I am waiting for the TI IO but now you almost have my convinced just to get the SS IO since it’s still in stock. My Xmas gift to myself lmao

jabba

I’ve been using the TI OG hopper and I love it so far. I am waiting for the TI IO but now you almost have my convinced just to get the SS IO since it’s still in stock. My Xmas gift to myself lmao
The only reason that I would by a ti over an ss....is if I already owned the ss. There just isn't enough advantage to me. Ti is lighter....but that doesn't translate meaningfully....in fact it makes it feel 'lesser'. Ti is better at dissipating heat....though this means that the body exterior heats up quicker as well....so for me as a 'quick ripper'.....again not a particularly meaningful advantage. I think if I were to have a 2nd 'backup' unit...i might go with Ti just to have something 'different'....for science or course. Happy Xmas to you.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I took advantage of the sale to get some extra batteries. I don’t really need them yet but it was nice to buy three and get one free. The io has been my daily driver since I received it and gets the most use, although I do use other vapes and cartridges. I barely even use my OG, when I had two OGs they would get used with roughly the same frequency.

I’m hoping that all four batteries perform well. It’s been my experience that roughly 25% of the batteries I purchase have reduced performance and battery life. This is even more apparent with the io and it’s increased power demand and low power mode. One of the four batteries from my last batch of mislabeled GHB2/3s causes my io to go into low power mode almost immediately. The extraction isn’t as good either, it doesn’t get my material nearly as dark as the other batteries. Using it in my OG is a different story. The battery life is noticeably worse but the extraction is better than with my io and nearly the same as a proper battery in the OG. I can get my ABV a nice shade of milk chocolate with the OG whereas the io produces a light tan color.

I would like to upgrade my Ti OG, I appreciate the lighter weight of the material. However, it is nice to have the OG to compare with the io. It also feels like owning a little piece of vaporizer history. It’s funny how something that was so far ahead of its time now feels like old technology.

jabba

I took advantage of the sale to get some extra batteries. I don’t really need them yet but it was nice to buy three and get one free. The io has been my daily driver since I received it and gets the most use, although I do use other vapes and cartridges. I barely even use my OG, when I had two OGs they would get used with roughly the same frequency.

I’m hoping that all four batteries perform well. It’s been my experience that roughly 25% of the batteries I purchase have reduced performance and battery life. This is even more apparent with the io and it’s increased power demand and low power mode. One of the four batteries from my last batch of mislabeled GHB2/3s causes my io to go into low power mode almost immediately. The extraction isn’t as good either, it doesn’t get my material nearly as dark as the other batteries. Using it in my OG is a different story. The battery life is noticeably worse but the extraction is better than with my io and nearly the same as a proper battery in the OG. I can get my ABV a nice shade of milk chocolate with the OG whereas the io produces a light tan color.

I would like to upgrade my Ti OG, I appreciate the lighter weight of the material. However, it is nice to have the OG to compare with the io. It also feels like owning a little piece of vaporizer history. It’s funny how something that was so far ahead of its time now feels like old technology.
I bought two new batts prior to my io....they had a sale a month or two ago? Anyway I bought two GHB3's....then one additional came with the new io. All three of these new batteries used in an io outperform any mileage I had ever gotten in my OG's. Perhaps HL has learned some lessons relating to their outsources and have improved quality controls. There will always be some bad batts....but among my newest 3....all good. Hopefully you find the same.

DryBonesufo

For those using the IO, since the heater is stronger, are the vapor and effects the same as with the OG? I usually vape it at temp 4. I’m thinking because the IO is stronger I can drop it down to 3.5?

DryBonesufo,
Reactions: jabba

jabba

For those using the IO, since the heater is stronger, are the vapor and effects the same as with the OG? I usually vape it at temp 4. I’m thinking because the IO is stronger I can drop it down to 3.5?
You are going to have to play with it. 'Effects' may be too subjective a topic and thus my opinion(s) may not be fruitful. This said, I routinely just set my io on level 2....yes 2.....and hit the button and rip away with near instant vapor. I use it natively only. I can do this repeatedly on 2 with similar results. Yes..I've stepped it up to 3 or 4 to finish off.....but sometimes I wonder whether it is really worth it. YMMV. The bigger 'issue' is that when you hit the button on the io....you are immediately ready to rip. For a while you are certain to hit the button and inadvertently 'wait' because you are accustomed to doing so with your OG. Nope....with the io....push the button and go go go.

If i really wanted to coax EVERYTHING out of my material...I could temp step from sub 2 to 4+ and make a tiny amount last awhile......but the real joy is those first draws at level 2 for me. I go smaller packs and thus more frequent material changes. I have yet to be in a position to just pack a full chamber .... that generally doesn't work for my micro uses ... as that would last me a full day or longer.

Back to your question...I think you are going to want to start far lower than 3.5 with the io. If you are going to coax every last drop from your material you will likely end up at 3.5-4 to do so....if you so choose.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Both vapor and effect are subjective however vapor with my IO is more pronounced and consistent with my TI IO than with my OG Ti. Effects, for me anyway, is more a function of temp. I’m a native user too so those that use filtration may differ. When I got my IO I was barely using it above 3 as the vapor was too hot for me; the IO’s increased power was noticeable right away. However, the effects weren’t all that great even changing strains (I have many). I’ve been slightly increasing the temp over time and getting better effects. 3.5 is about as high as I want to go natively (my cat broke my only glass rig a few weeks ago and I occasionally use a small spoon pipe for external filtration/cooling with the silicone tip). Vapor is still great (and hot) and AVB is very consistent with the IO as well, much better than with my OG Hopper. :peace:

Mr. Me2

I agree about how much hotter the io heater must be.

My I run my very early og at around 3 or 3.5 and my abv is golden. My very late og (from right before the io release) runs much hotter. Even with the temp set just over 2 my abv is dark brown.

Vaporific

I agree about how much hotter the io heater must be.

My I run my very early og at around 3 or 3.5 and my abv is golden. My very late og (from right before the io release) runs much hotter. Even with the temp set just over 2 my abv is dark brown.
I will say that ABV from my IO is fairly consist and dark brown. Not black but well extracted and consistently so. The trick and balance for me is trying to start low temp wise which is good taste the first draw or two at most - and I find that the case whichever vape I use - and deeper effects which are better achieved at a higher temp. I enjoy low temps because they’re less harsh vapor-wise (I’m a native user - old habits die hard and I like to keep things simple, and portable :) ) and I’ve developed a healthy flower appetite over the years (back in the combustion days for 30 years) and continuing in my vaping tenure the last 8 years. Needless to say I’m not a micro doser, more like a macro doser ;) Loading the Hopper is easy and I don’t mind frequent reloads. I’ve gotten very good at loading it on-the-go which is a testament to how I still love the form factor not to mention easy operation and maintenance. The threads on my IO, dirty when I got it and sparkling clean since, are super smooth too. I also see less debris getting caught in the frontend screen which could be a result of a few things I won’t delve into now but it’s a welcome positive over my OG. So far so good with the IO.:peace:

jabba

I will say that ABV from my IO is fairly consist and dark brown. Not black but well extracted and consistently so. The trick and balance for me is trying to start low temp wise which is good taste the first draw or two at most - and I find that the case whichever vape I use - and deeper effects which are better achieved at a higher temp. I enjoy low temps because they’re less harsh vapor-wise (I’m a native user - old habits die hard and I like to keep things simple, and portable :) ) and I’ve developed a healthy flower appetite over the years (back in the combustion days for 30 years) and continuing in my vaping tenure the last 8 years. Needless to say I’m not a micro doser, more like a macro doser ;) Loading the Hopper is easy and I don’t mind frequent reloads. I’ve gotten very good at loading it on-the-go which is a testament to how I still love the form factor not to mention easy operation and maintenance. The threads on my IO, dirty when I got it and sparkling clean since, are super smooth too. I also see less debris getting caught in the frontend screen which could be a result of a few things I won’t delve into now but it’s a welcome positive over my OG. So far so good with the IO.:peace:
"Macro Doser". Awesome.

Momor

After a few years lurking at the OG Hopper, then the io, i finally bought it on sale + 3 batteries. I'm quite excited to get it !
My order is still "in progress" since 11/27, do you guys think that's normal or is it possible they kind of missed my order ?
i wrote to them but as they say it cantake a few days for an answer i thought i could ask for your opinion/experience

vapviking

Old & In the Way
After a few years lurking at the OG Hopper, then the io, i finally bought it on sale + 3 batteries. I'm quite excited to get it !
My order is still "in progress" since 11/27, do you guys think that's normal or is it possible they kind of missed my order ?
i wrote to them but as they say it cantake a few days for an answer i thought i could ask for your opinion/experience
I have some orders that still read "In Progress" but were delivered years ago.
Under "Account" click "Order History"; on the line that has your order, click "View Invoice" (or anywhere on the order line); the invoice itself is where any tracking number will show up; you will likely not get a shipping notice email.
Hope you enjoy hopping, welcome to the motley crew assembled here.

Momor

I have some orders that still read "In Progress" but were delivered years ago.
Under "Account" click "Order History"; on the line that has your order, click "View Invoice" (or anywhere on the order line); the invoice itself is where any tracking number will show up; you will likely not get a shipping notice email.
Hope you enjoy hopping, welcome to the motley crew assembled here.
When I'm in "order history", I only can select "view order" and then I can't find anything else than my order number, shipping/billing info. Thanks anyway

Momor,

jabba

When it has shipped, there will be a tracking number (hot linked) at the bottom of the shipping details.
+1 this! Yup...you may not get an email shipment notification. My recent io order had no accompanying shipment notification. I almost didn't notice it...but under my account>orders>click on order......they simply put a small tracking number and carrier in the order which you'll have to find.

Momor

When it has shipped, there will be a tracking number (hot linked) at the bottom of the shipping details.

+1 this! Yup...you may not get an email shipment notification. My recent io order had no accompanying shipment notification. I almost didn't notice it...but under my account>orders>click on order......they simply put a small tracking number and carrier in the order which you'll have to find.
Thanks for the info guys.

DryBonesufo

Can anyone compare the airflow between the SS and the Titanium IO? Description for the TI IO states that it has more airflow.

DryBonesufo,

jabba

Can anyone compare the airflow between the SS and the Titanium IO? Description for the TI IO states that it has more airflow.
I have owned the SS and Ti among original GH versions since 2016. I now own an SS io and a Ti OG. I'm not certain where you read about differing air flow between Ti and SS and I s'pose that I cannot definitively answer your question as stated given that I don't own both SS and Ti versions of the new io.

That said....I don't imagine ANY discernible differences in air flow between these IDENTICAL (sans material) devices. They are identical in all obvious form and function aside from material (Ti vs SS). I would be similarly surprised to hear the REAL reasoning behind the SS clocking in at 65W while the Ti clocks in at 70W.

I suppose everyone has to put their best 'marketing' forward with these products.....but I see it as just that.....marketing. If you are on the fence about whether to go SS or Ti.....flip a coin. I've said before....the SS 'feels' better to me. If you require your device to cool down a tad faster (well this means that your device will also get hot to the touch faster too lol) then you MIGHT choose the Ti. This is all truly negligible. For goodness sakes....each session your air-flow will vary more just based upon the material type, pack, amount etc. etc. etc.

The differences really come down to a touchy/feely thing....a personal choice. These same devices of differing materials effectively really operate each the same as the other. This is to say...they each operate very very well.

slozukimc

I have owned the SS and Ti among original GH versions since 2016. I now own an SS io and a Ti OG. I'm not certain where you read about differing air flow between Ti and SS and I s'pose that I cannot definitively answer your question as stated given that I don't own both SS and Ti versions of the new io.

That said....I don't imagine ANY discernible differences in air flow between these IDENTICAL (sans material) devices. They are identical in all obvious form and function aside from material (Ti vs SS). I would be similarly surprised to hear the REAL reasoning behind the SS clocking in at 65W while the Ti clocks in at 70W.

I suppose everyone has to put their best 'marketing' forward with these products.....but I see it as just that.....marketing. If you are on the fence about whether to go SS or Ti.....flip a coin. I've said before....the SS 'feels' better to me. If you require your device to cool down a tad faster (well this means that your device will also get hot to the touch faster too lol) then you MIGHT choose the Ti. This is all truly negligible. For goodness sakes....each session your air-flow will vary more just based upon the material type, pack, amount etc. etc. etc.

The differences really come down to a touchy/feely thing....a personal choice. These same devices of differing materials effectively really operate each the same as the other. This is to say...they each operate very very well.
HL stated a long time ago that during the “binning process” they pick out the 70w heaters for the Ti and the others go in the SS models.

jabba

HL stated a long time ago that during the “binning process” they pick out the 70w heaters for the Ti and the others go in the SS models.
Do you have any understanding of what this means? I do not. The statement sounds like they have a wheel barrow full of heaters...and they put the strongest of the pile in the titanium hoppers and the rest go to the SS.

Regardless. Unless I know more...this just seems like 'marketing' talk to me.

Respectfully,

Jabba

jabba,

slozukimc

Do you have any understanding of what this means? I do not. The statement sounds like they have a wheel barrow full of heaters...and they put the strongest of the pile in the titanium hoppers and the rest go to the SS.

Regardless. Unless I know more...this just seems like 'marketing' talk to me.

Respectfully,

Jabba
That is pretty much the jist of it I think.

vapepilot

i had both, for me the airflow is the same

but generally speaking, for me the SS has much, much more power than the Titanium, even if it has less watts. I think it's only interesting for high temeperatur players

Vaporific

“Binning” has been discussed a bit before just prior to or at time of the IO rollout. I didn’t get it then and it’s still murky to me now. I do know there’s the 5 watt heater difference between the SS and TI IO’s.

My Ti IO continues to run cool to the touch though I’m a native user and barely go above 3.5. It may get warm/hot at higher temps, and I also think it depends on battery level, draw strength, etc. With respect to battery level, I notice this on my OG Ti - when the battery is low the unit tends to get hot to the touch even on low-to-moderate temps. Keep in mind the IO was enhanced to better manage the battery so this may also factor in if your trying to get the thing to heat up to the touch for the sake of trying or perhaps a high temp user. All good though and I’m happy with my IO nearly 3 months in. TGIF - almost time to partake... ;) :peace:

nasdri253

my Ti GH og died yesterday after 4 years, i had recently purchased 3 new batteries and managed to pull some big clouds like the old times (my old batteries would not let me) but as said, it is now gone, goes red and then switches off.
i have been offered to trade in for 80 bucks time ago but i am in EU and shipping will cost just under 30.
i will keep it and i have ordered a SS io this time, not sure what i can do with a dead GH, i have a Ti Front end will it match with the SS? i did not even check if they have stock i could not go to sleep without a GH plan in my life.

Top Bottom