Discontinued Hopper io

WhyAreWeWaiting

Haha. I’m sorry but I did get a chuckle from your post.

May I assume you are not a serial RMA GH owner?

Most I can remember reading on FC was 9 on the same unit but I do vaguely recollect reports of more.
9?

I've had over 30 RMAs.

Both mine are currently faulty.

I sent one back for RMA 2 years ago.

Still with them.

Vape Master

Formerly C3PO
I do not know what they have improved exactly in the IO wrt to testability but in the OG GH fault isolation and testability apparently sucked balls because they often (well, often enough) shipped back units from RMA that still malfunctioned and did this serially in some cases. Also, cases of very immediate re-failure.

I have personally experienced the "why did you ship this back to me as broke as it was before" type RMA.

We will see if they have improved or not. I hope so but I wouldn't place any money on them as they have broken a lot of people's hearts time after time.
It's a shame that theses faults of Hopper Labs isn't addressed it would be THE vape to own. I am extra careful I clean my vapes well. This is my 4th GH I treat them well and haven't had major issues. If such a large amount of people are complaining and Hopper Labs hasn't changed, the only logical reason is that its more profitable being where they are now than taking the crown of Dry Herb vapes. The IO is very different under the hood. 45 to 70 Watts, Gold Connectors, Instant. Maybe this helps make the hopper need less RMA's.

Vape Master,
Reactions: abcd5432

jaypm

To clear up the battery situation (and hopefully avoid some PM's on the subject)....GB3's are still in production and impacted by Covid19. No firm delivery date yet. If you have a working Hopper and no working batteries, Hopper wants to take care of you. They will release small quantity orders if you holler at me with your situation and provide an order number. As for replacement batteries, those won't be dealt with until the new batteries are in.

many thanks to vgoodiez for helping me get a couple working batteries (GHB2) and revive my paperweight hoppers 🙌

just to balance out some of the negativity that's been here, despite the problems many (including me) have had, i do see these guys keep trying to help their long-time customers, which i respect.

guyonthecouch

Both mine are currently faulty.
You have two faulty ios? Or you have two faulty OG GHs? If GHs, your post is better suited for the Grasshopper thread. Have you tried emailing them at support@? Or contacted vgoodies? Those are the best options for warranty issues vs posting on the forums and expecting a response or any assistance.. if you actually want to get your units back.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I received a new Hopper io in yesterday's mail, and have some things to say about it.
I'm going to leave the 'review' for later when I have some more experience with it. It is working very well and I'm quite pleased with the more open draw.

This event marks a 3-run homer for @VGOODIEZ. Scott has facilitated resolution of THREE of my five ongoing issues with HL in one fell swoop. Bravo! And props to @Hopper Labs for following through.

I had 2 ss Grasshoppers waiting in line for warranty service and had emailed support a couple of months ago inquiring about swapping them both towards an io purchase. There was no reply to my email, though a couple of months before that they had told me that there was not yet a policy in place for doing a warranty swap.

My challenge to Scott was get an answer to my inquiry.
Yadda, yadda, yadda, io arrived yesterday.
HL gave me $80 each on the 2 swaps, toward this one ss io.

This is a major turn of events, in my opinion, and towards my sour attitude chilling out.
My biggest concern was being left behind in a Grasshopper Wasteland, but HL has come through and supported their long-time customer.
I give them credit for perseverance, and the I-Ching will confirm that perseverance furthers (usually!).

You have two faulty ios? Or you have two faulty OG GHs? If GHs, your post is better suited for the Grasshopper thread. Have you tried emailing them at support@? Or contacted vgoodies? Those are the best options for warranty issues vs posting on the forums and expecting a response or any assistance.. if you actually want to get your units back.
With 30+ rma rodeos under his belt, he may not be "expecting a response" (but he may actually get assistance!). I'll be he's emailed support once or twice. As a 20+ rma veteran I had reached the point of not wanting to "reach out" to anybody anymore.
But on the forum, he can read my post and maybe be encouraged.
Seems to me it is HL's (or @VGOODIEZ ) turn to reach out to @WhyAreWeWaiting.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I received a new Hopper io in yesterday's mail, and have some things to say about it.
I'm going to leave the 'review' for later when I have some more experience with it. It is working very well and I'm quite pleased with the more open draw.

This event marks a 3-run homer for @VGOODIEZ. Scott has facilitated resolution of THREE of my five ongoing issues with HL in one fell swoop. Bravo! And props to @Hopper Labs for following through.

I had 2 ss Grasshoppers waiting in line for warranty service and had emailed support a couple of months ago inquiring about swapping them both towards an io purchase. There was no reply to my email, though a couple of months before that they had told me that there was not yet a policy in place for doing a warranty swap.

This is a major turn of events, in my opinion, and towards my sour attitude chilling out.
My biggest concern was being left behind in a Grasshopper Wasteland, but HL has come through and supported their long-time customer.
I give them credit for perseverance, and the I-Ching will confirm that perseverance furthers (usually!).

With 30+ rma rodeos under his belt, he may not be "expecting a response" (but he may actually get assistance!). I'll be he's emailed support once or twice. As a 20+ rma veteran I had reached the point of not wanting to "reach out" to anybody anymore.
Progress! Thanks for the patience!

I also sent @WhyAreWeWaiting a message to see if I could look into the situation. Have not heard back just yet.

guyonthecouch

Hey man I was just trying to help out. If you've already contacted HL with no luck why not contact Vgoodies first before posting is all I was suggesting. It's clear that Vgoodies is the best contact option for rma issues from all the posts in the past few pages. If you're not going to read the thread or keep up with updates why jump in and post about your OG rma issues in the wrong thread? Vgoodies is also present in the GH thread.

Anyways, @vapviking glad to hear you got your issues dealt with and are now rocking in the io club. Shout out to @VGOODIEZ respect for doing the dirty work, big up ya self!

io = on demand thunder clouds 🌪

Last edited:

kilo

As the io seems to have fulfilled the original promise of HL's technology and design, and the business model seems to be improving as well, what do people plan to do with their old working GrassHoppers? Will warranty work continue to be done on the original units? Can old bodies be retrofitted with io components?

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
As the io seems to have fulfilled the original promise of HL's technology and design, and the business model seems to be improving as well, what do people plan to do with their old working GrassHoppers? Will warranty work continue to be done on the original units? Can old bodies be retrofitted with io components?
Warranty work will continue. Parts are interchangable. For example an io backend will work on an OG.

WhyAreWeWaiting

Hi man.

Thanks for your concern.

There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel. Hopper Labs have offered me a discount on an IO.

I will be taking up that offer.

I still have another faulty unit which they have told me is in line for a return.

They say they will inform me when they are in a position for me to send it in to them.

Reefer Fiend

Lovin' Life
It makes perfect sense to me that the IO backend would work well with an OG body. But I would think that an IO body would not work well with an OG back end, given the higher power. My OG backend already gets pretty hot with just an OG body. Is it safe to say that this is not recommended by HL?

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
It makes perfect sense to me that the IO backend would work well with an OG body. But I would think that an IO body would not work well with an OG back end, given the higher power. My OG backend already gets pretty hot with just an OG body. Is it safe to say that this is not recommended by HL?
Yes I guess I should clarify. The io parts work with the OG but the opposite is not likely.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I've had my io for about a week now and am having no issues. I have no idea how accurate the temp settings are but, from what i can tell with my waterpiece, the 4th setting is around 395°f (sorry Celsius people. I haven't learned to convert yet). I'm able to get some vapor at the lowest setting and the temps vary depending on draw speed. For me I've been thicker clouds the harder i hit, like my woodscents. Getting about 5 bowls per battery, which is fine since i have backups for when it's charging. However that's not great if this is your only device. I love the io personally. It's the closest a vape has ever gotten me to the bong rip experience. But thats all i use it for: ripping through a bong. To use it dry i have to use the silicone mouthpiece and one of the cooling stems from my tetra p80. I'm hoping and praying it doesn't break down on me. I hope i got a good unit or that hopper has ironed out the kinks.

Anyone have any word on the battery availability?

NOLOGO

My battery has suddenly stopped working :( it's a ghb3. It could've been my battery charger? I'm using a nitecore i4
there is no such thing as a ghb3, unless you're in China and work at the battery factory and have smuggled one out. (in which case you'd probably not tell us about it not working.)

Vapor Mainline

Vapor (Ent)husiast
there is no such thing as a ghb3, unless you're in China and work at the battery factory and have smuggled one out. (in which case you'd probably not tell us about it not working.)
The new batteries are allegedly gbh3’s wrapped accidentally in gbh2 wraps...:shrug:
Edit: I should mention that I’ve recently received several batteries to replace my previous ones that were part of the small batch of defective 2019 cells. They’ve been working perfectly so far, and they got to me quickly with the help of VGoodiez. If you truly haven’t been helped by HL yet, I’m sure he’ll do his best to iron the situation out if you message him :)

Last edited:
Vapor Mainline,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
They say in their site all batteries are ghb3 they're just not labeled that way. Obviously they could be lying. I have no idea

NOLOGO

Actually current batteries going out are GHB3. They just have the wrong GHB2 wrap on them which is fixed with the current production run.
oh wow, ok. thanks for the correction. I guess i’m more out of the loop than i thought!

Do we know if the chemistry has changed? Or are they just new versions of the same batts?

Side note: i about had a heart attack yesterday when my io backend started to fall apart. Luckily i caught it befor it came apart all the way, and was able to shove it back together until i heard a satisfying click. Works normally again. I think i accidentally pushed down on it while turning, which is what o must do with my OG to get the dial to turn properly. If i don’t push down on the OG it spins and spins beyond the lowest and highest settings. When i push down i can feel it hit the low and high endpoints.

Side side note: my io seems to not have a functional breath sensor. I can pull as hard as i want through water with a silicon seal, and it still times out on me. And it seems to be not as hot as when i first got it. (maybe battery issue? i have 3 old ones i cycle through..the one they sent me with the io has stopped working completely after about a dozen charges.)

Anyone else have an io without a functioning inhalation sensor? @VGOODIEZ i guess i need to make a repair ticket? How do we do that with no serial number on the box? I was in the first batch of a handful they sent out early. And how can i go about getting a single working battery? Thanks in advance!

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I believe there is one more area of customer service that HL should address to help rebuild customer confidence in the products and company, and that is their website. Logging into the new HL IO website allows me to do two things that help me manage my interaction with the company for orders and warranty claims. Nothing says "I don't care" louder than failing to update customer records in a timely fashion (e.g., at least weekly). Currently I have 3 orders that still show 'processed' or 'in progress', and yet all three orders already have shipped and should be marked as such. I have a 4th order listed that shows no status other than 'in progess', which is not very helpful for orders that are languishing due to product supply issues. I also have an open OG warranty claim listed from November that receives no proactive updates, just reactive replies usually a week or two after I post a status inquiry. An occasional proactive status update would be most welcome and reassuring.
I never got an email when my order was shipped, after a couple of weeks I went to check the status of my order on their site and it said 'in progress'. I wasn't happy but than I clicked on the view order button and I saw there was a tracking number for USPS, my order was already in Canada! You are right they need to be better when it comes to give information to the customer. I'm at the beginning of my relation with Hopper Labs and it's already not going great. This should be an easy thing to change so time will tell if they can do it right.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
oh wow, ok. thanks for the correction. I guess i’m more out of the loop than i thought!

Do we know if the chemistry has changed? Or are they just new versions of the same batts?

Side note: i about had a heart attack yesterday when my io backend started to fall apart. Luckily i caught it befor it came apart all the way, and was able to shove it back together until i heard a satisfying click. Works normally again. I think i accidentally pushed down on it while turning, which is what o must do with my OG to get the dial to turn properly. If i don’t push down on the OG it spins and spins beyond the lowest and highest settings. When i push down i can feel it hit the low and high endpoints.

Side side note: my io seems to not have a functional breath sensor. I can pull as hard as i want through water with a silicon seal, and it still times out on me. And it seems to be not as hot as when i first got it. (maybe battery issue? i have 3 old ones i cycle through..the one they sent me with the io has stopped working completely after about a dozen charges.)

Anyone else have an io without a functioning inhalation sensor? @VGOODIEZ i guess i need to make a repair ticket? How do we do that with no serial number on the box? I was in the first batch of a handful they sent out early. And how can i go about getting a single working battery? Thanks in advance!
I will send a message to discuss.

Bigpoppafudge420

every day I check this thread and think about ordering an IO and every day so far I've talked myself out of it...had an original GH that died within 2 months and I never bothered getting it fixed. Left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm still not sure if the IO is good enough to win me back. Damn though, when that GH worked it milked a bong amazingly.

Top Bottom