Discontinued Hopper io

JBone65

Some folks may be struggling with this issue. Air is restricted when the resin builds up and partially covers the opening in the very tip. The good news is that you don't have to take it apart, full air flow can be restored in minutes with minor maintenance. Cleaning the opening is super easy and all that is needed. The rest is potentially overthinking IMO.

On a related note, I'm seeing less and less resin clogging these days. I used to cut up sticky bud relatively fine with fingernail scissors. It hit fine, but made way too much gooey resin. From this, one could conclude that plugging avoidance involves more than just a cleaning technique.

I'm a tightwad but might splurge on a PFE.:razz:

Last edited:

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I received the stainless io I ordered during the 420 sale and it's not working like it should.
I can combust at level one after inhaling for less than 10 seconds, it's that hot.
I can make it work if I play with my inhalation speed before the vapor turn to smoke but I have to be able to see the vapor to do it.
The effects are amazing but I have to use it with water unlike my Ti io that I can hit dry on the lower settings.
I'm gonna have to spend more time with it before I decide if I like it or not.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
These are the "too many!" parts inside a standard mouthpiece (from an og, though I don't think they've changed in the io).
The "copper" funnel sits snug inside the cone of the mouthpiece, and
that "plastic" tube slides inside the funnel, reaching nearly all the way to tip of mp. It is the vapor path, post screen
Clamped onto the plastic is a ring that houses the screen and is threaded (male) on it's perimeter. The threads go into the same female threads in the mp that the hopper body screws into.
20210602_103931.jpg
20210602_103918.jpg20210602_103856.jpg

Hey, @The Chemist , a member is looking for a "hot" running ss body, will trade for his normal one. In classifieds.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
From page 8 regarding IO native frontend:
Here is the first set of improvements explained.

Front-end:
• New Process and Tooling for Screen Threaded Assembly.
This change makes the screen assembly tighter which translates to a much lower chance that the screen comes unscrewed accidentally. I know some people purposefully take this screen out, which you could still do but our goal was to eliminate it accidentally coming out from the factory.

• Internal pathway tweak for slight cooling improvement
Small geometry changes to the FE assembly which gives a little more of an air gap inside. The simulation shows a small improvement and it all adds up.

• Better threading mesh on Screen Assembly, less waste during production
Mostly an internal tweak but for those who do take the screen out you should be able to thread it back in easier than before.
:peace:

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I received the stainless io I ordered during the 420 sale and it's not working like it should.
I can combust at level one after inhaling for less than 10 seconds, it's that hot.
I can make it work if I play with my inhalation speed before the vapor turn to smoke but I have to be able to see the vapor to do it.
The effects are amazing but I have to use it with water unlike my Ti io that I can hit dry on the lower settings.
I'm gonna have to spend more time with it before I decide if I like it or not.

Well that is great that you got a 420 order already, I guess SS faster than Ti and especially color Ti, but that is super disheartening to hear you can combust on level one! What kind of shit quality control is that after all this time?? Honestly I'd be super pissed if mine arrived like that, making me think a refund ahead of shipment is even more prudent now...:\ I wish it be good!

These are the "too many!" parts inside a standard mouthpiece (from an og, though I don't think they've changed in the io).
The "copper" funnel sits snug inside the cone of the mouthpiece, and
that "plastic" tube slides inside the funnel, reaching nearly all the way to tip of mp. It is the vapor path, post screen
Clamped onto the plastic is a ring that houses the screen and is threaded (male) on it's perimeter. The threads go into the same female threads in the mp that the hopper body screws into.

It is pretty hilarious, how over engineered that front end design is, and yet the vapor and the tip itself gets so uncomfortably hot regardless! So like, seriously what is the point?? :rofl: Looking at the improvements above, does that actually make any kind of practical difference for anyone...

slozukimc

Well that is great that you got a 420 order already, I guess SS faster than Ti and especially color Ti, but that is super disheartening to hear you can combust on level one! What kind of shit quality control is that after all this time?? Honestly I'd be super pissed if mine arrived like that, making me think a refund ahead of shipment is even more prudent now...:\ I wish it be good!

It is pretty hilarious, how over engineered that front end design is, and yet the vapor and the tip itself gets so uncomfortably hot regardless! So like, seriously what is the point?? :rofl: Looking at the improvements above, does that actually make any kind of practical difference for anyone...
Can you imagine how hot it would get without the insulating pieces? I don’t like the stock front end either but I imagine it would be way worse without them.

Vaporific

It is pretty hilarious, how over engineered that front end design is, and yet the vapor and the tip itself gets so uncomfortably hot regardless!
I typically run my Ti IO between 2.7-3.5 (natively) and the frontend doesn’t get hot. I can’t say the same with my OG which is also a Ti. It’s not that bad but the OG does get hot occasionally.

Can you imagine how hot it would get without the insulating pieces? I don’t like the stock front end either but I imagine it would be way worse without them.
I have a PFE which I seldom use. I use it with glass once in a blue moon. I prefer and enjoy the stock frontend - it’s shorter and fits better in the leather sleeve and my leather case - but it’s good to have options. :peace:

Shit Snacks

:o🔥:lol::evil:

I typically run my Ti IO between 2.7-3.5 (natively) and the frontend doesn’t get hot. I can’t say the same with my OG which is also a Ti. It’s not that bad but the OG does get hot occasionally.

I have OG steel and titanium, Ti it's better because of how fast it can cool down, and yes I was able to use that sort of range as well, though it definitely did get hot at the tip and the vapor as well if you want to fully extract... Depends how much time between hits too ofcourse, sort of manageable!

I have a PFE which I seldom use. I use it with glass once in a blue moon. I prefer and enjoy the stock frontend - it’s shorter and fits better in the leather sleeve and my leather case - but it’s good to have options. :peace:

Yeah I did not really like using the PFE plain as a mouthpiece, but it is much nicer for connecting to glass at home, the stock front end is fun with the silicone tip to connect to literally any glass at all too... But yeah I think many of us would want some sort of spiral path in that mouthpiece to actually cool the vapor, the PFE made sense to release, but I'm still moderately outrage they have not developed a cooling mouthpiece...

Again all the limitations of it being a stupid pen, those are my primary problems with this product, despite the company themselves with customer service and quality control... Honestly I hate the clicker trigger more than the chamber and vapor path setup... Yeah it would be so nice if it didn't have to be a fucking pen! :rofl:
:horse:

Vaporific

Honestly I hate the clicker trigger more than the chamber and vapor path setup... Yeah it would be so nice if it didn't have to be a fucking pen! :rofl:
I like the clicker as it’s a no-brainer and quick to use, especially if out and about and discretion is needed. I think the vapor path could be longer as it’s one of the shortest I’ve come to know or use. Different perspectives I guess. I love the form factor and wouldn’t mind if it were a bit wider (to hold an 18650 instead of their proprietary batts) and a bit longer to extend the air path to mitigate some of the hot vapor. I’m a big native user too so the air path is my largest knock ahead of the battery. Everyone has their subjective opinions and observations which makes a great horse race (except the Kentucky Derby winner - cheater! lol). Cheers! :peace:

Shit Snacks

Received my Purple Ti that I ordered right around 4/22ish? the 4/20 code was still active so definitely end of april. Havent used it yet but excited to be part of the club finally! Here’s to hoping that I got one of the good ones lol

Oh oh! I ordered a little after this, blue Ti, I guess it may be coming soon after all! Did you get any sort of shipping notification email beforehand? I mean I guess I should at least try it before canceling... LOL

I like the clicker as it’s a no-brainer and quick to use, especially if out and about and discretion is needed. I think the vapor path could be longer as it’s one of the shortest I’ve come to know or use. Different perspectives I guess. I love the form factor and wouldn’t mind if it were a bit wider (to hold an 18650 instead of their proprietary batts) and a bit longer to extend the air path to mitigate some of the hot vapor. I’m a big native user too so the air path is my largest knock ahead of the battery. Everyone has their subjective opinions and observations which makes a great horse race (except the Kentucky Derby winner - cheater! lol). Cheers! :peace:

Totally, yeah the air path, and vapor path, it's a shame the original design of having the chamber be the mouthpiece fully removable did not work out, though I understand why seeing how much insulation and stuff they have in the actual chamber walls...

My issues with the clicker, it is too large and mechanical, rougher on the hands to press than a regular easy button, also it is super loud clicking on and off, ruins the whole stealth angle, like the pen hides in plain sight when it's not in use at least? But that is not a beneficial feature at all to me really... And then it is the location of the clicker, on top of how hard it is to press, it makes the hopper impossible to use with one hand for me basically? It is always one hand to hold the hopper one hand to work the clicker (could be possible to clutch and use thumb to click, but that would never work for me because the whole body especially the back end would get so scaldingly hot you can't hold it like that there... Maybe hopefully this is not an issue with the IO at least!)

Vaporific

And then it is the location of the clicker, on top of how hard it is to press, it makes the hopper impossible to use with one hand for me basically? It is always one hand to hold the hopper one hand to work the clicker
Lol - I love using the Hopper one handed. I have large hands so it’s not an issue for me. I can click it on and off easily with one hand. And all the better while driving too. So easy. I drive with my Hopper more than any other vape it’s so easy to use, and one-handed too.

I meant both vapor and air path above, so thank you for specifying that. If both were a bit longer I’d argue I could run it slightly higher temp natively without much irritation. I do occasionally get irritated with the IO (and OG) vapor when using back-to-back or extended runs with it. And then I switch to another vape :). But how I do love my Hopper! And the IO kills it for me, no issues for 9 months. I seldom use my OG these days. :peace:

Shit Snacks

Lol - I love using the Hopper one handed. I have large hands so it’s not an issue for me. I can click it on and off easily with one hand. And all the better while driving too. So easy. I drive with my Hopper more than any other vape it’s so easy to use, and one-handed too.

I meant both vapor and air path above, so thank you for specifying that. If both were a bit longer I’d argue I could run it slightly higher temp natively without much irritation. I do occasionally get irritated with the IO (and OG) vapor when using back-to-back or extended runs with it. And then I switch to another vape :). But how I do love my Hopper! And the IO kills it for me, no issues for 9 months. I seldom use my OG these days. :peace:

Yeah that makes sense, using it on the lower settings is plenty effective and manageable stock style, if that is the goal of course! My hands aren't small, but they're not big (but get a little strained), so yeah with the clicker, I've literally clicked it on other body parts or surfaces, while holding it in one hand and inhaling, if I was not going to use my other hand in that situation for whatever reason:lmao:

Vaporific

Yeah that makes sense, using it on the lower settings is plenty effective and manageable stock style, if that is the goal of course! My hands aren't small, but they're not big (but get a little strained), so yeah with the clicker, I've literally clicked it on other body parts or surfaces, while holding it in one hand and inhaling, if I was not going to use my other hand in that situation for whatever reason:lmao:
I click it with my palm and hold the body with fingers on the same hand. Super easy. Just drove a quick errand and Hoppered one-handed along the way. Simple.

My first gen mag charger which I keep in my car is getting a bit temperamental. I sometimes have to reconnect it a few times before the charging lights come on. But it definitely charges which is the main thing. :peace:

Shit Snacks

I click it with my palm and hold the body with fingers on the same hand. Super easy. Just drove a quick errand and Hoppered one-handed along the way. Simple.

My first gen mag charger which I keep in my car is getting a bit temperamental. I sometimes have to reconnect it a few times before the charging lights come on. But it definitely charges which is the main thing. :peace:

Oh wow, I'm not sure I would be able to do that! Curious to try it now though... Also never actually used any magnetic charger with them, always would charge my batteries externally in nitecore before.

JBone65

I like the industrial look and feel of my SS IO, like a professional kitchen appliance. The cylindrical shape and heat make it feel like a mechanical joint.

It's good on a road trip. Fits easily in the pocket.

The giant button is ideal for me. I use it single-handed whether my other hand is free or not, and can always shut it off without fumbling around when I've had enough.

I guess it's good that it's all mechanical except the heater. Don't need no stinkin' electronic chips to fail. Not crazy about the little mechanical temperature dial. Even though mine apparently works great, it's hard to see to in low light. Every time I twist it I'm worried it will lock up, like it did once before (once in 5 1/2 years).

Shit Snacks

I like the industrial look and feel of my SS IO, like a professional kitchen appliance. The cylindrical shape and heat make it feel like a mechanical joint.

It's good on a road trip. Fits easily in the pocket.

The giant button is ideal for me. I use it single-handed whether my other hand is free or not, and can always shut it off without fumbling around when I've had enough.

I guess it's good that it's all mechanical except the heater. Don't need no stinkin' electronic chips to fail. Not crazy about the little mechanical temperature dial. Even though mine apparently works great, it's hard to see to in low light. Every time I twist it I'm worried it will lock up, like it did once before (once in 5 1/2 years).

Yeah I always am turning it off near the end of my hit, continuing to inhale with it off to fully clear the hit and the heat...

Well there is a chip though, and actually the mechanical parts also do concern me a bit, I remember way back when the original design they were saying was rated for a certain number of clicks, I always wondered what would happen if you exceeded that number lol

Yeah the dial, it's great cuz it gives you a literal full range, but I've had a varying degree of difficulty turning them depending on the back end... I know that can be a double-edged sword with any vape, I actually think in general that part is pretty well implemented here at least!

Oh so I guess I ordered on 4/25 and it has not yet shipped, status still says in progress...

slozukimc

Received my Purple Ti that I ordered right around 4/22ish? the 4/20 code was still active so definitely end of april. Havent used it yet but excited to be part of the club finally! Here’s to hoping that I got one of the good ones lol
I really don’t get these guys at HL. I see this and yet I have no sign of my purple IO ordered in 4/8 and am told by John that my place in line hasn’t come yet. I try and try to be supportive and optimistic but this and a pending warranty claim for my other IO make it hard.

Momor

Hey, @The Chemist , a member is looking for a "hot" running ss body, will trade for his normal one. In classifieds.
That's me. Thanks for mentioning it but in this case it's a bit to hot, lol
I don't want to trade my normal one but I have a spare working back end and would like to buy a body, especially a hot one to have something different from the one i already have. One that could combust on 5 would be ok but not on 1, héhé!
Maybe I would be better to try to sell my back end and use the funds to buy something else.

collegeKid101

Im not sure how to grab your whole quote, but no shipping notification whatsoever. In fact today was the day I was going to do a chargeback when i saw it in the mail

I really don’t get these guys at HL. I see this and yet I have no sign of my purple IO ordered in 4/8 and am told by John that my place in line hasn’t come yet. I try and try to be supportive and optimistic but this and a pending warranty claim for my other IO make it hard.
They told me it was shipping out about a week or two ago (nothing changed on my online order) so I replied stating that I would be issueing a chargeback if I didnt receive a vape, or a refund. Maybe I got lucky but it looks like you have to low key karen them if you want something done lol

So first use, super glad I got the silicone mouth piece because that thing gets HOT. My first bowl didnt have a lot of smoke and the second was SUPER cloudy. Had to take a few hits on 4 for it to happen though. Overall, tasty as fuck, probably my new favorite because that was efficient, strong, tasty, and FAST

Shit Snacks

Im not sure how to grab your whole quote, but no shipping notification whatsoever. In fact today was the day I was going to do a chargeback when i saw it in the mail

Use the quote button at the bottom of each post, and then press the quote button when you are writing your post, to insert the quotes, this way you can also reply to multiple people in one post, so you do not have to post back to back to back ;) Glad to hear it seems to be working properly for you!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
On the matter of timing.
I did (last week) receive a ss Spare body ordered around the 4/20 sale.
A warranty case opened April 6, 2021, which early-on determined that the answer will be a replacement body, is still waiting and getting nebulous answers to inquiries. I try not to hound them, but every couple of weeks I'll inquire about timing and days later get an answer like, "We will get that that out."
:popcorn:

Oh so I guess I ordered on 4/25 and it has not yet shipped, status still says in progress...
The last 4 orders I've received, all since July '20, still say "In Progress". :D
With HL we all gotta play the long game; they don't make is easy sometimes!

Vaporific

The last 4 orders I've received, all since July '20, still say "In Progress". :D
I noticed this too on my account last year - and HL erroneously shipped something related to it too. Not the way to run the company and keep your order/invoices reconciled. After several years, operationally they’re still in shambles. And it cascades to the customer service, never-mind their quality control. I try to be positive with them but they continually shoot themselves in the foot. It’s a shame. When you have a working Hopper, it’s awesome but it’s laced with caveats and pitfalls. :peace:

Top Bottom