I'm awaiting a ss body from warranty and a spare ss body I ordered to "get by" while the first was down. I thought they were in stock, now I've asked HL if they suggest I cancel since at the moment I'm sol on both scores.
My status has changed from two weeks ago's, 'should ship at least one next week' (didn't happen) to the new, 'they will ship early next week.'
At least I got the new body on the 4/20 sale price...
Correction, you've PAID for the new body at 4/20 price Sorry, could be a touchy subject, but had to. And I've watched you handle your HL issues with grace and patience, so thought you'd take is as intended.
I love the device, but thinking about dealing with HL makes my skin crawl, I almost feel dirty. I've emailed a few times over the last couple of months inquiring about trading in my last two OG's without a reply. Not a "we're not accepting them at this time" or "sure, send them in", radio silence. I think my IO is better on batteries than the OG's, that was the reasoning behind the trade in, and, both of them still run cool enough that I've packed them away. The IO is still running great, even with the deteriorating batteries, just less time before charge. This single vape has caused me more concern than the rest put together.
I still feel, the largest drawback to the device is the battery. I love my 18650 battery vapes, I can switch vapes at my convenience or need and I know I have good batteries ready. If I'm going to pack the IO away for a week, I feel the need to drain the batteries for storage to encourage longevity. I was really hoping the MaxVapor Power adapter and battery sled was going to change that, but I never quit felt I was getting the same out anything I've tried. Their claim that they needed a dedicated battery may not be that far off, but it's still the thorn in my HL paw.....along with the company.