Discontinued Hopper io

JBone65

Here's a photo of a finished full load side by side with a fresh full load going into the GH io. I filled it then dumped it out for the photo to be sure it was a fair comparison. My old scale wouldn't work so I can only guess the weight reduction is in the range of 20-30%. Knowing that I've never ignited or combusted weed in a GH, the dark color of the finished load is impressive. This weed is a fresh 50/50 mixture of sativa and indica, still drying but dry enough to prepare a medium-fine load in 2-3 minutes, and both strains supposedly tested at 24-27% thc. I prefer it a little finer, and it will grind more easily as it continues the natural drying process. Everyone has seen how weed gets fluffy when you break it up to roll a joint. A full homogeneous fluffy load is ideal IMO. "Less" potentially hits "more" due to increased contact area with a full fine grind. I picture the heated air contacting the maximum amount of weed sort of like water going thru a compacted charcoal filter. Got 11 enjoyable hits on that teaspoon-sized load. I admit, I got that sucker hot enough to burn my lips on the 11th, but it hit the spot and made a load of vapor. I load it full, so the first one or two can be tougher to hit. It gets easier after the 2nd or 3rd hit and the volume is reducing.Before-After Small.jpg

Boxxy

Quick update from my post a few pages back.

Hopper Labs replied to my email at the time (23/03/21) telling me that colour units had started shipping and that my order for a Dark Grey io was due to be shipped the following week. After seeing a number of new colour units in the hands of users on here, I foolishly gave HL another chance, thinking that the end was in sight.

Here we are a month later, with no Hopper io in my hands. I was unsure if there had been postal delays or if my package had been held up at customs, so I contacted HL 23/04/21 (a whole 13 months after placing my order!) to ask if they had actually shipped out my order and if so, could they provide tracking info. I get a reply today (27/04/21) saying "Dark Grey units were delayed, but should ship to you this month."...

The final straw that broke the camels back.

Hopper Labs have consistently pushed back and failed to meet shipping dates. Multiple times they have claimed that my order would be shipped, Just another month. Next week. End of the month...

I'm not accepting this any more. I'm requesting a full refund. HL could guarantee shipping tomorrow and I would still want a refund. Hell, Trev himself could personally fly to my house to hand-deliver my order, and I would throw it back in his face and still request a refund.

Hopper Labs is not a company I want to do business with. They have held my money for over 13 months now. This could be the best vaporizer in the world (if it works), but I don't care anymore, I do not want to give money to a company that treats me like a mug.

I would sincerely advise anyone and everyone to stay well clear of Hopper Labs. To those who are happy with working units, all I can say is good luck.

On a final note: I ordered a Tinymight 23/04/21, the same day I emailed Hopper Labs (that's how little faith I had in HL to ship my order), and the Tinymight has already shipped and moving through customs ready to be delivered 29/04/21. Quite a difference between waiting 13 months and counting for a Hopper io, and the 6 days for the Tinymight.

Another update:

After requesting a refund for a second time on 05/05/21 (Hopper Labs ignored my original email requesting a refund), HL told me the following day that my order had been submitted for refund...

The order is now showing as refunded on their website but I have not received my money.

I sent another email 21/05/21 demanding my money be returned to me and.... NOTHING... no reply, no cash returned to my account.

What else can I say other than Hopper Labs have STOLEN my money and are now ignoring me. I'll keep emailing them demanding they actually refund me, but it's looking like I will never get that money back.

Hopper Labs never delivered my order, have not refunded my money and are now ignoring me. Stay well away from this company.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Another update:

After requesting a refund for a second time on 05/05/21 (Hopper Labs ignored my original email requesting a refund), HL told me the following day that my order had been submitted for refund...

The order is now showing as refunded on their website but I have not received my money.

I sent another email 21/05/21 demanding my money be returned to me and.... NOTHING... no reply, no cash returned to my account.

What else can I say other than Hopper Labs have STOLEN my money and are now ignoring me. I'll keep emailing them demanding they actually refund me, but it's looking like I will never get that money back.

Hopper Labs never delivered my order, have not refunded my money and are now ignoring me. Stay well away from this company.

Shipping delays are well known and kind of expected with HL these days.
I ordered my Blue Ti io when they opened up the pre- orders and I paid in full and waited. And waited. And waited some more.

I also sent them numerous emails asking about possible delivery times and was never given one, just the option for a refund.

I am glad I waited it out and did not get bent out of shape about the extended and unknown waiting period. Kind of like Covid-19, we don't know when it will all end...
Just like HL is having issues getting units to the anodizer and having great quality as well.
Covid-19 screwed many companies over and I find a lot of people forget this important fact.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt on this one due to it being a global pandemic.

The io blows my SS OG Hopper out of the water with such ease every time I click the button.
It can be too much at times and I am still trying to find the perfect setting.

Sometimes 3 is perfect and sometimes too hot. All depends on the material loaded.
Extracts like crazy and gives huge clouds!
For me it was an amazing upgrade from the OG!

kilo

I am glad I waited it out and did not get bent out of shape about the extended and unknown waiting period.
Yes, a certain amount of patience and tolerance is required!
Sometimes 3 is perfect and sometimes too hot.
I've found that as well. I couldn't believe it when I combusted on 2½ — I never once combusted on the OG. I was going to demand an RMA and write a scathing post on reddit...then the patience and tolerance kicked in. I just had to tailor my draw to the load. It's a complex interaction between battery condition, speed of inhalation, moisture level of the weed, and the mysterious circuitry inside the unit itself. This is where glass really helps. Whether it's a j-hook (I really like the Lotus VaporScope) or a bubbler if you pay attention to cloud production and subtle differences in flavor you can tell when it's time to empty the chamber and click off. Since I've started paying closer attention I haven't had any combustion incidents.

JBone65

The io blows my SS OG Hopper out of the water with such ease every time I click the button.
It can be too much at times and I am still trying to find the perfect setting.
I gave up trying to find one particular setting, which might change with each strain put in the io. I also wanted a way to count the hits and help me keep track of the remaining bowl life, so I start at the lowest setting and increased one-half a mark each hit. The gradual temperature increase seems to release more and/or releases heavier components with each hit. Ultimately I regulate the strength of each hit by the length of the draw and how long I leave the power on, so there is never a bad hit, just like with a joint. In the end I hit it full blast several times to get whatever thc is easily recoverable. It's amazing technology as far as I'm concerned. The heating mechanism and the temperature range is very well thought out IMO. I am addicted to this goofy little machine, I have no issues with HL.

lazylathe

Almost there...
I gave up trying to find one particular setting, which might change with each strain put in the io. I also wanted a way to count the hits and help me keep track of the remaining bowl life, so I start at the lowest setting and increased one-half a mark each hit. The gradual temperature increase seems to release more and/or releases heavier components with each hit. Ultimately I regulate the strength of each hit by the length of the draw and how long I leave the power on, so there is never a bad hit, just like with a joint. In the end I hit it full blast several times to get whatever thc is easily recoverable. It's amazing technology as far as I'm concerned. The heating mechanism and the temperature range is very well thought out IMO. I am addicted to this goofy little machine, I have no issues with HL.

I lent my io to a friend for a while last night. Switched him to vaping and he has gone from a solo into a Minivap and was interested in the Hopper.
Have him a quick demo and his mind was blown away!
I used 1/2 a chamber on 3 and white walled my big tube and finished it off in one hit. Showed him the ABV and he was stunned!!

Text me later last night and said he was sweating like crazy from 2 hits!

I was also playing around with concentrates on some organic cotton yesterday in the io.
Works a treat at the highest setting and flavor is amazing!!!

Really versatile!

JBone65

I ordered a scale, will be able to measure the weight change of various strains and different grinds within a few days.

The spent load below gave up 11 good hits. The slightly finer grind seems to have resulted in a darker (more spent?) color. Not surprisingly, this load gave better hits than the previous load. I'm getting ahead of myself, but it should be easy to show that the extraction of THC, terpenes, flavinoids, etc. from a particular strain can be optimized with a premium grinder.

I put the green load (on the right) in the io this morning. It's pretty dry but not dry enough to break up completely by hand. I took my time and chopped it up with fingernail scissors. You can see that load on the right is finer than the spent load on the left. You can also see that lots of green remains in the waste on the left. Anyway, the first hit on the lowest temp with the finer grind was noticeably better. Extremely strong, but not like a regular hit. The overwhelming (terpene?) flavor more or less took my breath away for 4-5 minutes. I hope everyone can experience that.

Not sure if it was the grind that made it so much better, but I suspect it was. The plastic grinder I'm using is a POS, but it's useful to break down the larger buds. I tried to read the long thread about grinders, way TMI. Anyone recommend a fine grinder at a fair price?

I suspect most portable vape devices aren't extracting half the THC that the GH io can extract. I plan to optimize the process as much as possible, and eventually find out how other devices stack up.

After-Before 5-31-21.jpg

cliffhanger1

I suspect most portable vape devices aren't extracting half the THC that the GH io can extract. I plan to optimize the process as much as possible, and eventually find out how other devices stack up.

not in this time in 2021 ;)
Then you have to look at the Firewood 7 for example which makes the blackest ABV i have ever seen. like black ash, but not really ash. very very much darker than the io which makes good very dark too. or the Tafee Bowle, Tinymight.. there are so much very good vapes on the market.

slozukimc

I ordered a scale, will be able to measure the weight change of various strains and different grinds within a few days.

The spent load below gave up 11 good hits. The slightly finer grind seems to have resulted in a darker (more spent?) color. Not surprisingly, this load gave better hits than the previous load. I'm getting ahead of myself, but it should be easy to show that the extraction of THC, terpenes, flavinoids, etc. from a particular strain can be optimized with a premium grinder.

I put the green load (on the right) in the io this morning. It's pretty dry but not dry enough to break up completely by hand. I took my time and chopped it up with fingernail scissors. You can see that load on the right is finer than the spent load on the left. You can also see that lots of green remains in the waste on the left. Anyway, the first hit on the lowest temp with the finer grind was noticeably better. Extremely strong, but not like a regular hit. The overwhelming (terpene?) flavor more or less took my breath away for 4-5 minutes. I hope everyone can experience that.

Not sure if it was the grind that made it so much better, but I suspect it was. The plastic grinder I'm using is a POS, but it's useful to break down the larger buds. I tried to read the long thread about grinders, way TMI. Anyone recommend a fine grinder at a fair price?

View attachment 8559
I use a Krups coffee grinder from Walmart. It makes a super fine grind that works great in convection vapes.

slozukimc,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm ignorant. Are they portable?

Haha yeah, portable on-demand vapes have come a long way particularly in the past few years, the grasshopper can be impressive, but the flaws are unfortunately so prominent, particularly compared to many others now and even then (TM, FW7, TB, Milaana/Splinter, Tubo/Tetra, and many more too)

I use a Krups coffee grinder from Walmart. It makes a super fine grind that works great in convection vapes.

I actually do not like to use a super fine grind in a convection vape, especially not one like this where are the heater is below the chamber and the screen is just holes? I prefer to keep the vape as clean as possible... If I was going to use a finer grind in my hopper, I would first try to put a little bed of more coarse grind, and then on top as well to keep the mouthpiece from clogging too fast (possibly even without vaping the goods as well) but yeah this way it can even do kief bowls etc. I am into the idea of an electric grinder that grinds for you, but I feel like the level of control and maintenance is better with a BCG for me (or Flower Mill or even Zam)

slozukimc

Haha yeah, portable on-demand vapes have come a long way particularly in the past few years, the grasshopper can be impressive, but the flaws are unfortunately so prominent, particularly compared to many others now and even then (TM, FW7, TB, Milaana/Splinter, Tubo/Tetra, and many more too)

I actually do not like to use a super fine grind in a convection vape, especially not one like this where are the heater is below the chamber and the screen is just holes? I prefer to keep the vape as clean as possible... If I was going to use a finer grind in my hopper, I would first try to put a little bed of more coarse grind, and then on top as well to keep the mouthpiece from clogging too fast (possibly even without vaping the goods as well) but yeah this way it can even do kief bowls etc. I am into the idea of an electric grinder that grinds for you, but I feel like the level of control and maintenance is better with a BCG for me (or Flower Mill or even Zam)
Fineness of grind can be controlled by time you hold the button down. 4-5 seconds for a Hopper grind, 8-10 seconds for a finer Flowerpot grind.

JBone65

especially not one like this where are the heater is below the chamber and the screen is just holes? I prefer to keep the vape as clean as possible
I agree, no one wants to be clogged with fines. I watch for it but haven't seen any sign of it this far. I use a dull toothpick to gently scrape the screens clean then look for light thru the mouthpiece screen and thru the intake ports. I still get the occasional resin buildup in the tip but overall my cleaning issues decreased after letting the weed dry a bit more. Don't want it dry or fine as dust, but dry enough to quickly make a course fluffy powder. I don't think it goes thru either screen.

I used to put whole buds in my desktop vaporizer. You could poke it with a stick to break it down slowly, and just keep adding weed, it would all get reduced to brown dust. I would not recommend stirring the load in a GH. There's no room and that probably would push weed into the heating element. It's premature until confirmed with the scale, but I'm guessing you can get better hits and produce a more spent, darker waste product with a finer grind since you can't stir it in the GH.

Several members mentioned the tinymight. I will look into that.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I agree, no one wants to be clogged with fines. I watch for it but haven't seen any sign of it this far. I use a dull toothpick to gently scrape the screens clean then look for light thru the mouthpiece screen and thru the intake ports. I still get the occasional resin buildup in the tip but overall my cleaning issues decreased after letting the weed dry a bit more. Don't want it dry or fine as dust, but dry enough to quickly make a course fluffy powder. I don't think it goes thru either screen.

I used to put whole buds in my desktop vaporizer. You could poke it with a stick to break it down slowly, and just keep adding weed, it would all get reduced to brown dust. I would not recommend stirring the load in a GH. There's no room and that probably would push weed into the heating element. It's premature until confirmed with the scale, but I'm guessing you can get better hits and produce a more spent, darker waste product with a finer grind since you can't stir it in the GH.

Several members mentioned the tinymight. I will look into that.

Yeah I do not stir in the GH, I don't stir in most of my pure convection anymore, just aromatizer bandits and sticky bricks really?

Definitely check out the TM, it is my overall favorite, on demand pure convection portable, solves pretty much all the issues I have with the hopper although it is not as instant fast to heat up as the IO now... I like to use mine at home with glass jayhooks.

And yeah the FW7 is actually in my other top portable pick right there with it, although it is more conduction, it has some hybrid convection, and is still instant on demand with regulated full temp range, plenty of power and versatility! Some people do need to stir with their TM, but no one needs to stir with the FW7 btw (only a few stir Tafée)

... Back to Hopper IO, I think I will keep my order in for a little into June, but if there's no progress I think I may just cancel, if things get caught up maybe I will jump in again next year! GH+PA at home is fine for now

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I completely agree with you on the grind issue. While I think that even the acrylic S&B orange grinder can grind well if you control how long you grind, the higher quality dedicated herb grinders take the guess work out of the equation.
Imo, one of hopper's biggest negatives is its tendency to get clogged and the draw becomes more restricted over months-long use. Recently, learning to remove the internal screen and deep clean when necessary has helped, but yeah, I avoid finer particulates, and so far with io I'm not fooling with concentrates at all (as I did with og's). Medium-fine grind (lately with a Santa Cruz medium 3pc), and yes to dry material, lightly tamped.

@MoltenTiger tiger's photo series with abv from different temps demonstrates how finely tuned/dialed-in this device can be. Wife and I, each with a ss io, can finish equal loads and compare, and we can see difference in color even if we're two tenths of a temp-dial step different. I note that number of draws will make these results vary.
But I have to mention to @JBone65 I'm finding your "scientific" approach a little weird. I feel that you will never be able to control variables enough to do (with any validity) the kind of multi-vape study you are describing. I have no doubt you will be able to measure differences and compare before/after loads etc., and that sounds like fun!

Last edited:

slozukimc

I completely agree with you on the grind issue. While I think that even the acrylic S&B orange grinder can grind well if you control how long you grind, the higher quality dedicated herb grinders take the guess work out of the equation.
Imo, one of hopper's biggest negatives is its tendency to get clogged and the draw becomes more restricted over months-long use. Recently, learning to remove the internal screen and deep clean when necessary has helped, but yeah, I avoid finer particulates, and so far with io I'm not fooling with concentrates at all (as I did with og's). Medium-fine grind (lately with a Santa Cruz medium 3pc), and yes to dry material, lightly tamped.

@MoltenTiger tiger's photo series with abv from different temps demonstrates how finely tuned/dialed-in this device can be. Wife and I, each with a ss io, can finish equal loads and compare, and we can see difference in color even if we're two tenths of a temp-dial step different. I note that number of draws will make these results vary.
But I have to mention to @JBone65 I'm finding your "scientific" approach a little weird. I feel that you will never be able to control variables enough to do (with any validity) the kind of multi-vape study you are describing. I have no doubt you will be able to measure differences and compare before/after loads etc., and that sounds like fun!
What are we doing different? I have multiple Hoppers and have never had any problem with draw becoming restricted by anything but the mouthpiece screen. I use a super fine grind most of the time and always dump the Hopper out while still warm.

slozukimc,
Reactions: vapviking

vapviking

Old & In the Way
What are we doing different? I have multiple Hoppers and have never had any problem with draw becoming restricted by anything but the mouthpiece screen. I use a super fine grind most of the time and always dump the Hopper out while still warm.
Maybe, in general, I have over-packed, trying to get 'more' from a load. It's hard for me to resist that urge and go for lighter, more frequent loading. Tamping may have been driving material into the screen?
I do try now to let material kinda fall in by itself, tap-tap-tapping to settle the load, until slightly over the brim, and push that down gently. Later, it falls out more easily than a tamped spent load.
Don't you use the 3d printed loader?
I haven't used a standard mp in many months; it's pfe all the way for me, and I'm a nut about keeping that part free-flowing!
Having now seen more clearly under the internal screen, I'm not even sure what part actually gets restricted, except that screen.

General question for the forum,
Does anyone else experience the draw becoming tighter as a hopper ages?

slozukimc

Maybe, in general, I have over-packed, trying to get 'more' from a load. It's hard for me to resist that urge and go for lighter, more frequent loading. Tamping may have been driving material into the screen?
I do try now to let material kinda fall in by itself, tap-tap-tapping to settle the load, until slightly over the brim, and push that down gently. Later, it falls out more easily than a tamped spent load.
Don't you use the 3d printed loader?
I haven't used a standard mp in many months; it's pfe all the way for me, and I'm a nut about keeping that part free-flowing!
Having now seen more clearly under the internal screen, I'm not even sure what part actually gets restricted, except that screen.

General question for the forum,
I do use the Feeder. It loads a loose pack about 70% full. I never tamp and never fill full. I am seeing where the difference lies for sure.

JBone65

I feel that you will never be able to control variables enough to do (with any validity) the kind of multi-vape study you are describing.
No study, just interested in improving my own technique. Extending one oz by 5% will pay for the $7 scale, hope to do more than that. Very curious to see how much variability there is, for instance with one strain, just with the variables that I control. I'm already convinced that mo' blackened is mo' better, but no way for me to know how much better. More info can't hurt.

I visually inspect it and have no problem with fines, definitely don't pack it in.

I'll probably get tagged for two posts in a row, but wanted to add that a "tighter draw" should be avoidable. You can visually inspect it between loads and be certain it's 100% clear, same as new. You should be able to see a lot of light thru the mouthpiece if clear between the screen and the tip. I soak the mouthpiece in alcohol ~5 minutes every few weeks, then gently pry little bits of resin out of the tip with a toothpick (it always gets clogged, this is critical). You can also see light thru the intake ports if you turn it. IMO, slightly drier weed clogs less.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I soak the mouthpiece in alcohol ~5 minutes every few weeks, then gently pry little bits of resin out of the tip with a toothpick (it always gets clogged, this is critical).
Have you ever taken a std mouthpiece apart? That clog you're removing with a toothpick is the tip of the iceberg.
For one thing, there is "plastic" material in there, part of the screen assembly. But that is not the worst issue. There is a copper-looking funnel in there, the funnel mates into the taper of the mouthpiece. Resin collects between those two parts, lots of resin.
I have opened one up after several days' soak and the is gunk is still solid.
Between seeing that and then the heat issues, I gave up on them, and only use PFE now.

JBone65

Yes, have accidentally un-clipped the screen when I was too rough with it. That's why I use a dull toothpick, to minimize the risk of snagging the screen. Also, I accidentally un-clipped the intake screen. Once I unscrewed the little heating element when the mouthpiece threads got stuck. Gently used thread lock and pliers to re-torque it. I wouldn't recommend doing any of that, might invalidate the warranty.

With periodic alcohol soaking, and occasionally removing tiny amounts of sticky resin from the tip with a toothpick, air will flow unrestricted and it will work like new. There's a trick to extracting resin with a toothpick. After soaking, I gently stick in the tip of the toothpick 1-2 mm, rotate it, and rub it around the inside wall trying to get the resin to stick to it. Sometimes you have to repeat the process if it's still plugged, pour the used alcohol thru it, blow thru it, and work with it a minute or two. Sounds primitive but it makes a huge difference. It doesn't need to be perfect, just clean enough to see light thru 6-8 holes in the center of the screen. Be sure to dry it, any alcohol left inside will ruin the next couple of hits.

There's nothing more frustrating than a plugged up GH.

Anybody have a better procedure?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
With periodic alcohol soaking, and occasionally removing tiny amounts of sticky resin from the tip with a toothpick, air will flow unrestricted and it will work like new.
Yes, it is easy to clean it to the point where the screen and tip are clear.
(even with new and factory fresh std mp, the draw is not as open as with pfe, imo)

The screen in the mp does not clip into place, it is threaded. A lot of us were going out getting micro tweezers to retighten our screens.
It is not possible to see the inside without removing the 'copper' funnel. If it's never been done it a can be very difficult to separate the funnel from the mp housing. Maybe I can dig out an old one a take some pics.

Hasn't anyone else seen this, the insides of a mouthpiece, parts removed?

vapviking,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I’ve had my IO for 9 months and have yet to remove the screen in the native frontend. I’ve done so with my OG however since it tends to loosen on its own unlike the IO frontend. Indeed I bought fine-point tweezers several years ago to tighten the OG frontend screen on a frequent basis. Not so much with the IO though. I do soak the frontends in ISO for deep cleaning yet I suspect there’s a bit of resin caked in there but my airflow is generally very good. Perhaps the next time I clean the IO’s mouthpiece I’ll take out the screen for the first time and see what’s under the hood. I don’t recall if HL or anyone posted pics of the IO frontend when it was released; might be worth a search of the thread. :peace:

Vaporific,

slozukimc

I really don’t get why HL doesn’t ditch the multi piece front end and just go with the PFE. Much easier to produce, much easier to clean and it works better. Profits on PFE sales can’t be that good to keep making a separate item can they??

Top Bottom