Flower Mill

NimChimpsky

Been eyeing this for a while and decided to grab one with the sale :D Just gave it a quick iso clean (very little residue) and it's first go with some very fresh and sticky Cherry Pie 🍒🥧 once I figured out how much pressure to use and how to keep the top from being at an angle it went down nice and easy. The milling chamber was completely empty once finished, no flakes or anything, which satisfies my OCD :) as others have said, it seemed like there was less keif knocked off the buds than traditional grinders (I'm a 3pc guy so this is nice) but only one mill in, and of course my ability to compare and test all the plates is limited by how much weed I need to mill/grind/vape lol, so looking forward to doing that over the next several days. But, so far, I dig it!

Last edited:

Texus

Been eyeing this for a while and decided to grab one with the sale :D Just gave it a quick iso clean (very little residue) and it's first go with some very fresh and sticky Cherry Pie 🍒🥧 once I figured out how much pressure to use and how to keep the top from being at an angle it went down nice and easy. The milling chamber was completely empty once finished, no flakes or anything, which satisfies my OCD :) as others have said, it seemed like there was less keif knocked off the buds than traditional grinders (I'm a 3pc guy so this is nice) but only one mill in, and of course my ability to compare and test all the plates is limited by how much weed I need to mill/grind/vape lol, so looking forward to doing that over the next several days. But, so far, I dig it!
Enjoy. So many pleasures using the FM and exploring the plates. Love the ability to have high capacity that doesn't involve cramming it between threads. And that 1/4 turn is perfect. Effortless.

Love that 3 piece or 4 piece versatility within a single grinder too. So much good to say (until I find rust 😂😂).

NimChimpsky

Several mills in now and I am sincerely impressed. I thought my recent BCG was going to put all others out of my arsenal but the Flower Mill is here to stay and I find it to be a great compliment. I'm preferring the fine plate so far, the stock one is nice but a little coarser than I normally go.

Main draws for me:
- while I always pick the large stems out pre grind/mill, I don't have to break the nugs up as much or position between teeth, super simple
- it took me like 3 mills to nail the technique and now it's so quick to go from nug to milled
- milling chamber clears all contents and has stayed very clean thus far
- fluffy and consistent result with minimal keif loss

The Flower Mill is going to get heavy use from me, especially for my stickier herbs. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

Texus

Enjoying my FM so far - my bud is kind of dry and small, so not the best test case (but still grinding pretty well.)

Looking forward to getting some fresh herb to run through it and really test it.
The trickier the herb, the more the FM shines in my opinion. In particular, as someone above mentioned, it is great not to have to break up stickier weed. And those trichomes are not coming off on your hands.

snackmaster

I got a premium & expansion pack during the 4/20 sale and I like this thing more each time I use it. Takes minimal effort to get consistent results and keep clean, even with the ultra fine screen. When I first opened it up and gave it a few turns I was a little put off by the amount of metal-on-metal contact, but then I realized that's not happening when you're actually grinding flower. It's actually kinda nice that it's obvious when you're done grinding and there's no need to peek inside.

My only minor gripe is that it didn't come with a bag. I like bags :nod:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I got a premium & expansion pack during the 4/20 sale and I like this thing more each time I use it. Takes minimal effort to get consistent results and keep clean, even with the ultra fine screen. When I first opened it up and gave it a few turns I was a little put off by the amount of metal-on-metal contact, but then I realized that's not happening when you're actually grinding flower. It's actually kinda nice that it's obvious when you're done grinding and there's no need to peek inside.

My only minor gripe is that it didn't come with a bag. I like bags :nod:

The metal plates do not make contact, it is the top metal ring of the body that connects inside the top plate, that is the metal on metal (contact that happens even with herbs), why those parts are steel too :tup:

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
@Shit Snacks does the body’s steel ring contact the lid’s aluminum shell when it’s closed and empty? I assumed it was steel on aluminum I was hearing and feeling but maybe not. But again I don’t see it as a big deal because once you get that contact you’re done grinding.
Yes, the inside of the lid and the top of the SS ring are bearing surfaces and do touch. Nothing else does! On a previous page I cut a Mill in half so you can see this first hand. Thanks for the support!

*SURVEY TIME*
Anyone who's bought a Premium Mill with an Expansion Pack: Could you let us know which Screen you prefer using?

PS: Since there's only a few dozen 'Extra Coarse' screens in circulation at the moment, I didn't include them

Here's the link - https://forms.gle/tNCmGCXCaTp8YoUQ7

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I've been all about the ultra fine screen, I don't think I've used any of the others for about a month.

I also can't access your form, it says it can only be viewed by people in your organization. I'll be checking the mail for my membership card and decoder ring!

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
I've been all about the ultra fine screen, I don't think I've used any of the others for about a month.

I also can't access your form, it says it can only be viewed by people in your organization. I'll be checking the mail for my membership card and decoder ring!

@FlowerMillJohn having trouble accessing your form but I’m also ultra fine all the time

Sorry guys, should work now!

NimChimpsky

Yes, the inside of the lid and the top of the SS ring are bearing surfaces and do touch. Nothing else does! On a previous page I cut a Mill in half so you can see this first hand. Thanks for the support!

*SURVEY TIME*
Anyone who's bought a Premium Mill with an Expansion Pack: Could you let us know which Screen you prefer using?

PS: Since there's only a few dozen 'Extra Coarse' screens in circulation at the moment, I didn't include them

Awesome! How long do you expect this survey to be open? I feel like a need at least a couple more days before I could safely say which I most use/prefer (just tried the ultra fine for the first time today and it is dope). Btw might be worth it to add 'I don't smoke'/'I don't vape' options under the corresponding question, could give some insight into the ratio of vapers vs combusters of your customer base so far! :)

seki

I've been using the FM exclusively since I purchased it and thought I'd add a little to my initial impressions from a few weeks back.

Overall, the FM has been my primary "grinder" and has produced excellent results. I've still mainly stuck to the ultra fine screen and that seems to suit me well. I need to experiment with the other plates a little more for sure, but for now the UF is working great for me.

I don't know if this makes too much of a difference, but I've noticed that it's possible to improperly align the centre rod and screw. If not centred, would this cause more friction or are the tolerances on the device such that the position is moot? In either case, I generally try to ensure it's centred. If performance is affected, maybe a groove cut into the plates would be helpful as a guide during reassembly.
flowermill6.jpg

I find in general, I get a light black ring along the outside of the middle section, but this is easily wiped off:
flowermill7.jpg

Most buildup occurs for me along the inner walls along with the sides of the upper plate:
flowermill8.jpg

I did have a problem not long after purchasing. Normally, I would not have cleaned so soon, but I had a pretty pungent strain that I didn't really like and I found the odour it left behind a little off-putting. I tried to disassemble the unit, but found the upper plate had gotten stuck some how:
flowermill9.jpg

I ended up contacting the Flowermill folks to see if they had any suggestions for loosening it and they did! A day or two later, this showed up on my doorstep:
flowermill13.jpg

It works like a charm, but if I could make a suggestion, it occurred to me that a few similar, but much smaller notches on the underside of the main chamber could serve the same purpose without the need of an additional 3D printed part.

Something like where the X's are in the pic here:
flowermill10.jpg

And then the lid can be placed underneath to assist in removal:
flowermill11.jpg

Edit: In reconsidering this, I forgot to take into account the bottom chamber reaches all the way up to the top of the middle portion when fully assembled. That would make these notches impossible without changing the bottom as well. Good thing I'm not designing grinders.:razz:

Also, I had a bit of a brain fart moment, and I ended up buying the expansion ring to extend the storage area. For some reason, I misunderstood this to mean that it would simply make the bottom section larger, but it will actually convert your 4-piece into a 3-piece with a larger(?) storage area. Had I realized this was the case, I probably wouldn't have purchased the ring. To illustrate, here is the bottom section of the 4-piece and the expansion ring beside it:
flowermill14.jpg

This next image is has the same two items, only the bottom section has been disassembled:
flowermill15.jpg

And finally, the expansion ring installed:
flowermill16.jpg

Seems obvious now in retrospect but for some reason, I thought it was simply something that extended the section with the screen.

Last edited:

Samh

Just pulled the trigger in the Premium 4 piece and extra screens. Excited to try in the Bowle, Mighty, and Rogue as well. I have a Space Case now but this intrigued me. Read the whole thread and ordered. Very informative here.

420Woot

*SURVEY TIME*

About the survey, I do not smoke, only vape. So I wish you had a N/A option.

FlowerMillAaron

There's a very small lip on the bottom of the center rod that aligns to the screen. It seems its small enough that it's easily missed when assembling as we just had another customer have a similar issue. We'll be making some updates on our verbiage on the site as well as better instructions on assembling the screens to make sure its clear as it could potentially cause damage to try to use it while it's not properly installed.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!

I don't know if this makes too much of a difference, but I've noticed that it's possible to improperly align the centre rod and screw. If not centred, would this cause more friction or are the tolerances on the device such that the position is moot? In either case, I generally try to ensure it's centred. If performance is affected, maybe a groove cut into the plates would be helpful as a guide during reassembly.
flowermill6.jpg

Top Bottom