Flower Mill

Gigsabits53

Shipping sure is reasonable (at least in USA).
Low shipping and 20% makes this very tempting!
Too tempting for me, although I was waiting for a 4/20 sale from FM. The main feature that I'm looking forward to is the ability to just drop nugs in and grind, instead of breaking them up with my fingers and jamming them into the grinder slots. I bought the expansion pack as well, so hoping this grinder works out for me.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Too tempting for me, although I was waiting for a 4/20 sale from FM. The main feature that I'm looking forward to is the ability to just drop nugs in and grind, instead of breaking them up with my fingers and jamming them into the grinder slots. I bought the expansion pack as well, so hoping this grinder works out for me.

Yes that is one of my favorite things about the Flower Mill! Quick and easy and simple

Shit Snacks

The only thing preventing me from purchasing a flowermill would be the flat international delivery fee of 45usd 😭 (Australia)

It seems to be a common issue I have noticed for members in Australia, I guess it must be tough to ship things there now, so I would say just bite the bullet and factor that into the total price, I know it is frustrating to have the 20% discount offset completely and still be paying for shipping afterward, but sometimes you do what you gotta do to get what you want... international hurdles!

pigstoleo

It seems to be a common issue I have noticed for members in Australia, I guess it must be tough to ship things there now, so I would say just bite the bullet and factor that into the total price, I know it is frustrating to have the 20% discount offset completely and still be paying for shipping afterward, but sometimes you do what you gotta do to get what you want... international hurdles!

Cheers for the reply! I did consider biting the bullet and having the 20% discount offset some of the delivery cost, however, I'm also waiting on my new BCG to arrive.

Thus I wasn't really looking for a new grinder at the time. The 420day 20% discount, caused me to attempt an impulse buy in hopes of experiencing the differences between the BCG and Flowermill for myself. Sadly, the 45usd delivery fee was revealed as I was about to complete the purchase and I just had to abort. 😓

Personally it was too hard to justify the 45usd delivery fee, given that I've got a BCG on the way, even with the 20% discount sadly...

FlowerMillAaron

Cheers for the reply! I did consider biting the bullet and having the 20% discount offset some of the delivery cost, however, I'm also waiting on my new BCG to arrive.

Thus I wasn't really looking for a new grinder at the time. The 420day 20% discount, caused me to attempt an impulse buy in hopes of experiencing the differences between the BCG and Flowermill for myself. Sadly, the 45usd delivery fee was revealed as I was about to complete the purchase and I just had to abort. 😓

Personally it was too hard to justify the 45usd delivery fee, given that I've got a BCG on the way, even with the 20% discount sadly...
Unfortunately that AUS shipping is just expensive, shipped one there today and it cost us a bit more than the $45 flat... We'd love to setup a dealer over there.

pigstoleo

Unfortunately that AUS shipping is just expensive, shipped one there today and it cost us a bit more than the $45 flat... We'd love to setup a dealer over there.

Ah! I see, thank you for letting me know that it is just that expensive.

Perhaps reach out to https://wearelux.com.au/ ?
In my opinion, they'd be the best to go with given that they offer mainly premium 420 products.

Having ordered from them before, I can comment that their customer support is great too.

Cheers! Hope to own one of these in the future. 😁

FlowerMillAaron

Thanks so much for the recommendation, just reached out to them. After several other complaints of Int'l shipping being too much we're just going to take a larger hit on it until we can get some key dealers setup. So Int'l shipping is now $38. There's also the option of using our Post Office's much slower and no tracking option but not sure that's something people are interested in these days.

Shit Snacks

Thanks so much for the recommendation, just reached out to them. After several other complaints of Int'l shipping being too much we're just going to take a larger hit on it until we can get some key dealers setup. So Int'l shipping is now $38. There's also the option of using our Post Office's much slower and no tracking option but not sure that's something people are interested in these days.

Amazingly generous of you! For what its worth, I often choose the cheapest no tracking option, even these days I haven't had any troubles waiting too long, though its not for everyone ofcourse, its a nice option.

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
Ok, Im really on the fence about this one. I am literally ready to pull the trigger, but I just have 1 question that doesn't appear to have been answered yet...

How does it perform with tough outdoor grown nugs? A lot of the herb I have is larger tougher buds that were grown outside, and while my other grinders do great with indoor dispensary herb, they bind up often, and are difficult to twist to completely grind outdoor herb.

Thanks all!

Gigsabits53

I received my FM a few days ago, cleaned it all up and gave it a go with the super fine screen. Very impressed with the grind quality , perfect for my Flowerpot. It's also a very easy grind, a few turns back and forth while applying some minor pressure and it's done. Extremely happy with my purchase. :)

Shit Snacks

Ok, Im really on the fence about this one. I am literally ready to pull the trigger, but I just have 1 question that doesn't appear to have been answered yet...

How does it perform with tough outdoor grown nugs? A lot of the herb I have is larger tougher buds that were grown outside, and while my other grinders do great with indoor dispensary herb, they bind up often, and are difficult to twist to completely grind outdoor herb.

Thanks all!

Hey! Nice seeing you in here

Well I don't know about your specific outdoor herbs, I think most of what I've gotten is indoor grown stuff here, which can be super dense and sticky to lock up most other grinders (if they are not brilliant cut, because those do not jam btw) and there is no issue with the flower mill either since it is not possible for it to bind up based on the design...

So yeah it sounds like for your needs, this should be perfect, since you are milling here, grating the herbs more than grinding them, this is just a different experience from typical grinders. If you grab one let us know how it works out for you!

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer

Thanks all!

I think Shit Snacks nailed it already, but to elaborate, a dense nug or super-hard stem can't get hung up the same way as a traditional grinder because they don't need to get sheared by close-tolerance teeth. I'm amazed at how much power it takes to get through those - they're hard as heck. The only thing you may find is that a big chunky stem may stop the Mill from spinning freely once it 'bottoms out' above the screen (grinding complete position) since the stem will lodge into the screen and grab the flutes of the rotor as it passes. All in all, all of my outdoor bud has never been a problem!

Let me know if I missed your point on that one.. But otherwise, purchase with confidence - I'll make it right with you if it doesn't live up to your standards 😊

I received my FM a few days ago, cleaned it all up and gave it a go with the super fine screen. Very impressed with the grind quality , perfect for my Flowerpot. It's also a very easy grind, a few turns back and forth while applying some minor pressure and it's done. Extremely happy with my purchase. :)

So happy to hear that! Thanks for the awesome feedback - never gets old!

Vaporware

I decided that it was in fact Miller time and ordered one on 4/20 too.

So far I’ve run 2 loads of 3 grams and a couple of smaller amounts through the finest milling plate, and here are my initial thoughts:

1. 3 grams of dense, semi-sticky flower all fit inside at once and milled in seconds. Much faster than I’ve been managing with my grinders.

Good consistency, quick and easy.

The only minor negative is the grooves in the top plate filled with flower and I had to scrape that out once and run it through again. This may have happened because I was putting too much pressure on it, so even that minor negative is probably avoidable.

2. 3 grams of light and fluffy flower took longer, but that seems to be because I put too much pressure on it. When they say light pressure, they mean it! If you need to push harder you can, but once it’s flattened you may have to open it and reposition things to get it going again.

This batch also separated the stems out pretty well. I just tossed them back in since this is for extraction for edibles, but having most of them stay above the plate will be good on the vapor side. :)

3. Other than repositioning a smashed bud before I learned to back off on the pressure, the smaller loads were quick and easy too.

I think it might work a little better with more flower in it, but it does seem to work with smaller amounts. I like putting in at least 2 pieces on opposite sides so the lid stays more level, but it would probably be fine even if I didn’t.

So far I’m happy with it, and I only spent a small fraction of the time I would have spent grinding the same amount of flower so it’s filling its role well. In fact, I suspect it might end up being my primary flower processing device! :D

Gigsabits53

I wanted to chime in again to say how pleased I am with the FM. It is amazing how it works with so little effort, love that! I can safely say now after many grinds, this is the best grinder I have ever used. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I've put a lot of weed through it already, no cleaning required yet.

So it's a total thumbs up on this purchase :clap: . Great product, if you are on the fence on a grinder, this one should be on your list to check out.

nacho cheese

Another thank you to everyone who posted photos and reviews, they really sold me on the Mill. My main reason was the stem separation, I thought it would save a lot of time. I’ve enjoyed my Santa Cruz Shredders for years and none of the other grinders on the market seemed like an upgrade in core functionality. Nice as quality of life and materials upgrades are, I wasn’t willing to spend a bunch of money on them when I was already very happy with my grind. I bought a Newvape fine a few years ago but I never use it, stopped chasing grinders after that.

I haven’t put much through it yet, but so far so good. I’ve been experimenting with whole buds, but the stems keep falling through the plate. I can pick them from the tray intact so no problem. I did not get the fine plates. Grind is a bit coarser than I expected, but that is okay. I had some fresh dense Dosilato that came out super chunky, and some drier mids that look chunky but will collapse if you stir them (someone early in the thread mentioned a clumping effect, I am seeing the same). Photos of the latter below. I will experiment further with hemp flower, which has been a real time suck with all the tiny stems.

Since this is marketed as a premium product and priced to match, I do have some criticism. Either the threading is slightly off on mine, or the pieces aren’t concentric. When I run my fingers around the seam of the catch tray I can feel that one side has a very slight overhang and the other a slight underhang. All four pieces of my SCS are flush to the touch. The quarter-turn thread is sort of squeaky, the aluminum base pieces feel a bit thin. A stainless base would feel a lot better and improve the weight balance. I’m not mad, it works as expected and on sale was very fairly priced. But If you made a v2 in North America with domestic materials, more SS (lid could stay Al if low mass works better) and better quality control I would pay Herb Ripper XL / United Machining price range for it.

seki

Decided to give the Flower Mill a go and I have been enjoying it so far. I'm coming from a v1 Herb Ripper and it definitely seems much easier to use with the ultra-fine giving me good results from initial usage. I also contacted the FM folks and asked for an unbranded unit and they obliged which was awesome:
flowermill3.jpg

I didn't realize there was another logo on the bottom though :lol::
flowermill4.jpg

Overall, I liked it right off the bat. It took some time for me to warm up to the Ripper and I still like the grind it produces, but the FM is much easier on my wrists and doesn't require much effort to get good results. I've only tried the stock and ultra fine blades so far and I'm finding the milling isn't necessarily even, but it is consistent. This is from the ultra-fine plate
flowermill5.jpg

The extreme close up may seem to make it seem a little more coarse than it actually is. I find the it works well for my vapes that require that type of grind.

Kins

Another thank you to everyone who posted photos and reviews, they really sold me on the Mill. My main reason was the stem separation, I thought it would save a lot of time. I’ve enjoyed my Santa Cruz Shredders for years and none of the other grinders on the market seemed like an upgrade in core functionality. Nice as quality of life and materials upgrades are, I wasn’t willing to spend a bunch of money on them when I was already very happy with my grind. I bought a Newvape fine a few years ago but I never use it, stopped chasing grinders after that.

I haven’t put much through it yet, but so far so good. I’ve been experimenting with whole buds, but the stems keep falling through the plate. I can pick them from the tray intact so no problem. I did not get the fine plates. Grind is a bit coarser than I expected, but that is okay. I had some fresh dense Dosilato that came out super chunky, and some drier mids that look chunky but will collapse if you stir them (someone early in the thread mentioned a clumping effect, I am seeing the same). Photos of the latter below. I will experiment further with hemp flower, which has been a real time suck with all the tiny stems.

Since this is marketed as a premium product and priced to match, I do have some criticism. Either the threading is slightly off on mine, or the pieces aren’t concentric. When I run my fingers around the seam of the catch tray I can feel that one side has a very slight overhang and the other a slight underhang. All four pieces of my SCS are flush to the touch. The quarter-turn thread is sort of squeaky, the aluminum base pieces feel a bit thin. A stainless base would feel a lot better and improve the weight balance. I’m not mad, it works as expected and on sale was very fairly priced. But If you made a v2 in North America with domestic materials, more SS (lid could stay Al if low mass works better) and better quality control I would pay Herb Ripper XL / United Machining price range for it.

I'd like to see pictures of this imperfection you are talking about.

Kins,
Reactions: Vitolo

nacho cheese

I don’t want to spend the effort trying to get a photo, with the curve of the body I doubt you could really tell in a picture. I didn’t come to shit on the grinder I just wanted to give my opinion, I think ‘feel’ is an important metric for metalwork and it didn’t wow me. It is nitpicky and does not affect function at all, maybe I had unrealistic expectations.

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer

Thanks for the honest feedback - it's always appreciated!

For the stainless vs aluminum parts: Weight was a huge concern here. Stainless is about 2/3's heavier than aluminum, so we spent quite a bit of time deciding what parts were going to be which material. The initial design with more stainless parts would have been a burden to carry around, and the stainless parts are also significantly more expensive to machine than aluminum. To use more SS, the design would have to change from machined parts, to formed sheet metal parts, and that would definitely add a cheaper 'feel' to the mill from what I've seen looking into it. A SS base could be a sweeeet little upgrade in the future...

We also kept the aluminum parts as beefy as we could so they could better endure a drop to the floor. Objects machined from solid aluminum ('billet') are very strong by nature, so even if they feel thin to you, they shouldn't ever cause a problem. Let me know if you think you may have gotten a defective part!

I don’t want to spend the effort trying to get a photo, with the curve of the body I doubt you could really tell in a picture. I didn’t come to shit on the grinder I just wanted to give my opinion, I think ‘feel’ is an important metric for metalwork and it didn’t wow me. It is nitpicky and does not affect function at all, maybe I had unrealistic expectations.

Am I showing the right part here? We intentionally modeled the threads on the loose side to allow them to work smoothly once they inevitably get a bit gunky with residue between cleanings. We're all machinists here, so it pains us, but it's a practicality was most important here.

I agree that the 1/4 thread can be a bit squeaky once anodized... I find once you get some miles on it, and get a few cleanings in, the squeak seems to 'polish' out.

Don't let any of this sound defensive, I'm only giving straight answers to your feedback. Feel free to push me on any of these!
Decided to give the Flower Mill a go and I have been enjoying it so far. I'm coming from a v1 Herb Ripper and it definitely seems much easier to use with the ultra-fine giving me good results from initial usage. I also contacted the FM folks and asked for an unbranded unit and they obliged which was awesome:
flowermill3.jpg

I didn't realize there was another logo on the bottom though :lol::
flowermill4.jpg

Overall, I liked it right off the bat. It took some time for me to warm up to the Ripper and I still like the grind it produces, but the FM is much easier on my wrists and doesn't require much effort to get good results. I've only tried the stock and ultra fine blades so far and I'm finding the milling isn't necessarily even, but it is consistent. This is from the ultra-fine plate
flowermill5.jpg

The extreme close up may seem to make it seem a little more coarse than it actually is. I find the it works well for my vapes that require that type of grind.

I'm so glad to hear this is easier on your wrists! That's a huge point I don't think we've been clear enough on sharing with people. Looks downright gorgeous as a blank, too. Thanks for taking the time to do a solid review!

As for the coarse plate study group - all spots are filled and signup is now closed! Thanks to everyone who got involved - looking forward to your feedback!

Ralph

The one I have is perfect and it is my favorite grinder of all the ones I own ( United Machining, Herb ripper Xl, BCG, 4 piece Santa Cruz and the orange Storz and Bickel grinder that came with the Mighty). It is soooo smooth and effortless and the machining is top notch. I have all the plates. This thing really rocks!!!!!!!

Top Bottom