Flower Mill

mixchu69

I remember when I paid $60 for the 3 piece SCS, thought that was expensive. Grinder prices have gone up dramatically. But I understand, I could just buy the $60 standard and would probably beat my SCS.

But I want all the fancy plates!!! And nice to have stainless steel.

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I can't recommend mine enough, like you said @PoopMachine there are a zillion grinders out there but not many like this one in terms of being easy to load and milling vs grinding. I can totally see how someone would be happy with the standard but personally I'd get the premium grinder with the plate kit. Besides having the different grind options with the premium it is also a lot easier to clean being able to tear it down further.

I've been using mine multiple times a day since January with no noticeable wear on it and don't really feel a need for new grinders anymore. If you think about it at this point I've spent somewhat less then a dollar a day on having a fine grinding experience (yes this is how I justify all my vape and hobby purchases :spliff:)

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah it's a great product made by great people! I like the premium for the steel parts where it counts, plus the swappable plates make it extremely versatile for a variety of grind consistencies... Speaking of I have the new extra coarse plate in testing here, seen below with some dense cake mix herbs:

PXL-20210512-074536369.jpg

PXL-20210512-075258054.jpg

PXL-20210512-075527110.jpg

I also decided to clean mine before testing out this new plate, which was super quick and easy with the the way it disassembles, so nice to have steel parts in the places that could see wear over time... I like this extra coarse plate for an almost whole nug vaping type experience, though a bit more effective, and fairly consistent too! Though I have much more testing to do of course...

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Here's another round with the extra coarse plate as I ground up my last nug of this apple fritters, fairly dense slightly dry, it was a big nug I split apart pulling out the fat center stem etc. Loading my usual ocd way:

PXL-20210515-002414606.jpg

PXL-20210515-002647446.jpg

Yeah I am really liking this plate, super chunky grind not like anything else, not much dust lost with bud structures pretty well intact, minimal effort maintenance!

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
Buy it. This grinder has shelved all my others - scs and bcg included. I got the premium 3 pc with the extra plates and I'm using the coarsest of the plates from the extra pack.

I can't recommend mine enough, like you said @PoopMachine there are a zillion grinders out there but not many like this one in terms of being easy to load and milling vs grinding. I can totally see how someone would be happy with the standard but personally I'd get the premium grinder with the plate kit. Besides having the different grind options with the premium it is also a lot easier to clean being able to tear it down further.

I've been using mine multiple times a day since January with no noticeable wear on it and don't really feel a need for new grinders anymore. If you think about it at this point I've spent somewhat less then a dollar a day on having a fine grinding experience (yes this is how I justify all my vape and hobby purchases :spliff:)

Have to agree with others, this is a great product! Being able to put nugs in so easily is a huge plus for me.
I also bought the premium 3-piece with the extra plates. If you are considering it, go for it.

You guys... these are huge statements to make, and I take them with a weight. I'm so happy you're finding the Mill useful! Thank you!

Here's another round with the extra coarse plate as I ground up my last nug of this apple fritters, fairly dense slightly dry, it was a big nug I split apart pulling out the fat center stem etc. Loading my usual ocd way:

PXL-20210515-002414606.jpg

PXL-20210515-002647446.jpg

Yeah I am really liking this plate, super chunky grind not like anything else, not much dust lost with bud structures pretty well intact, minimal effort maintenance!

Shit Snacks - you the man. Dang that thing cleaned up nicely, too. Thanks for all the great photos!

Our teams been loving the chunky grind here, but that's mostly centered around it burning nicer in a joint - not vaping. I haven't used it with any of my vaporizers yet, so I'm eager to hear from the study-group (and anyone else's opinion) on what they find it useful for. Glad to see you getting good results!

Just when I thought I was pretty much done buying gear this gets on my radar.
Do you have a retailer in Europe?
Haha, that's relatable to me. The closest to you would likely be https://herbalistbros.com/ but please let me know if they can't help you for any reason.

Figured you guys may appreciate this view of the Premium / Standard knobs? 🤤
Ijfltesl.jpg

eudPT61l.jpg

(Both on a Standard body)

Shit Snacks

That split FM photo is too cool!

Shit Snacks - you the man. Dang that thing cleaned up nicely, too. Thanks for all the great photos!

My pleasure of course! Yeah I like how quick and easy it is to clean, then how shiny perfect it looks afterwards!

Our teams been loving the chunky grind here, but that's mostly centered around it burning nicer in a joint - not vaping. I haven't used it with any of my vaporizers yet, so I'm eager to hear from the study-group (and anyone else's opinion) on what they find it useful for. Glad to see you getting good results!

Oh interesting, yeah I guess that makes sense that it would have combustion appeal, but I know there are people here who like to vape whole nugs or use chunky grinds for a wide variety of vapes to preserve bud structure... Depending on the vape, if it can handle it, you kind of get a full spectrum flavor and effects this way, contrasting to when you grind any more finely...

So far I used it in my aromatizer bandit, many people like to hand break grind with theirs, but I actually prefer more of a grind with mine I think? This chunky coarse grind is really good for sticky brick type of vapes however, and I am really enjoying it for use with my tinymight in the multiWPA that has a fixed glass honeycomb screen... Tafée Bowle, TetraP80, and Splinters also have fun with the chunky grind, though it does typically entail the necessity to stir for full extraction more so than a more fine grind in my experience with these vapes.

vapingtortoise

Tortoise
I'm on the fence between the Flower Mill and BCG, leaning towards the Flower Mill. Have had a bunch of grinders, but all old tech(SharpStone, Chromium Crusher, etc). I remember when back in the day Mendo Mulchers were really in but the tech didn't seem too different. Haven't gotten a new grinder in a few years, glad to see new stuff like BCG and Flower Mill!

Really drawn towards the stainless steel of the Flower Mill and I want to try the 3 piece one. I have always used 4 piece before since I felt like the kief made it worth it and also made it less gunky but I'm sort of changing my mind now and thinking maybe a 3 piece that doesn't keep all the kief would reduce the chance of things gunking up and sticking? Would anyone who owns a 3 piece be willing to share if the catch gets sticky over time?

Definitely need to get the plate combo too, I am not sure which grind would work best for my UD

Last edited:

Texus

I'm on the fence between the Flower Mill and BCG, leaning towards the Flower Mill. Have had a bunch of grinders, but all old tech(SharpStone, Chromium Crusher, etc). I remember when back in the day Mendo Mulchers were really in but the tech didn't seem too different. Haven't gotten a new grinder in a few years, glad to see new stuff like BCG and Flower Mill!

Really drawn towards the stainless steel of the Flower Mill and I want to try the 3 piece one. I have always used 4 piece before since I felt like the kief made it worth it and also made it less gunky but I'm sort of changing my mind now and thinking maybe a 3 piece that doesn't keep all the kief would reduce the chance of things gunking up and sticking? Would anyone who owns a 3 piece be willing to share if the catch gets sticky over time?

Definitely need to get the plate combo too, I am not sure which grind would work best for my UD
Honestly, I'd suggest getting the 4 piece, which is so easy to convert to a 3 piece, that upper screened part is just threaded into interior threads on the base of the grinder. Genius! I'm less interested in kief, so I keep the screen in and use the chamber below it to store pre-ground flower from a different strain.

BCG is without doubt a great grinder, but I consistently find myself drawn to the versatility of the Flower Mill. Such a well designed product that just feels right in the hand and in use. Yes, BCG is all magnet, but the 1/4 turn threading on the FM is awesome and just as effortless.

I was also lucky enough to get the XL plate to try out, and LOVE it for my VapBong. Only had it a few days and haven't been smoking much, so haven't tried it with much else. But big win on VapBong and I'd assume One Armed Bandit from Collyland (formerly Art of Vape).

vapingtortoise

Tortoise
Honestly, I'd suggest getting the 4 piece, which is so easy to convert to a 3 piece, that upper screened part is just threaded into interior threads on the base of the grinder. Genius! I'm less interested in kief, so I keep the screen in and use the chamber below it to store pre-ground flower from a different strain.

BCG is without doubt a great grinder, but I consistently find myself drawn to the versatility of the Flower Mill. Such a well designed product that just feels right in the hand and in use. Yes, BCG is all magnet, but the 1/4 turn threading on the FM is awesome and just as effortless.

I was also lucky enough to get the XL plate to try out, and LOVE it for my VapBong. Only had it a few days and haven't been smoking much, so haven't tried it with much else. But big win on VapBong and I'd assume One Armed Bandit from Collyland (formerly Art of Vape).
I see, so the 4 piece has 2 chambers? Or do you mean I should get the 4 piece with that converting ring they sell? I was under the impression they both have the same 'chamber space' but one has a separating screen piece from the bottom so there's an area for kief.

I think I would like the combo plates so I can use different grinds for my smaller UD and also the Alpha UD, I think the finer the better but have to test to find out! Maybe the coarse would come in handy when occasionally rolling something up too.

Last edited:
vapingtortoise,
Reactions: Vitolo

Shit Snacks

I see, so the 4 piece has 2 chambers? Or do you mean I should get the 4 piece with that converting ring they sell? I was under the impression they both have the same 'chamber space' but one has a separating screen piece from the bottom so there's an area for kief.

They were saying they used the area meant for kief, to instead store more grounds of a different strain.

I think I would like the combo plates so I can use different grinds for my smaller UD and also the Alpha UD, I think the finer the better but have to test to find out! Maybe the coarse would come in handy when occasionally rolling something up too.

Yes supposedly the FM team loves the new extra coarse for joint rolling, I like it for use with my TM multi WPA stem that has to fix glass screen, it's like vaping whole nugs, but a bit better without having to break them up in between...

The standard plate it comes with is already pretty coarse though, so the fine screen set is nice as it gets finer and finer for a wide variety!

Your question about it getting dirty, getting a three-piece or four-piece collecting key, has nothing to do with that really... If the weed is very moist and sticky then it's going to make the grinder get dirtier faster, how long do you let the weed sit in there, temperature conditions in the air surrounding it... The parts that will get dirty first will be the steel plates and the steel top since those are the parts that actually mill the weed, however it doesn't impact performance and is super easy to clean quickly!

By the way the selling point of the BCG is not the magnets, it is the appearance, and the side teeth in the lid that prevent it from ever locking up, unlike every other regular grinder design... That is also what is awesome about the FM, since it is not a regular grinder design, it also never has to worry about locking up and can always turn smoothly no matter the consistency of your herbs.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either option, and I could make a strong case for owning both!

vapingtortoise

Tortoise
They were saying they used the area meant for kief, to instead store more grounds of a different strain.

Yes supposedly the FM team loves the new extra coarse for joint rolling, I like it for use with my TM multi WPA stem that has to fix glass screen, it's like vaping whole nugs, but a bit better without having to break them up in between...

The standard plate it comes with is already pretty coarse though, so the fine screen set is nice as it gets finer and finer for a wide variety!

Your question about it getting dirty, getting a three-piece or four-piece collecting key, has nothing to do with that really... If the weed is very moist and sticky then it's going to make the grinder get dirtier faster, how long do you let the weed sit in there, temperature conditions in the air surrounding it... The parts that will get dirty first will be the steel plates and the steel top since those are the parts that actually mill the weed, however it doesn't impact performance and is super easy to clean quickly!

By the way the selling point of the BCG is not the magnets, it is the appearance, and the side teeth in the lid that prevent it from ever locking up, unlike every other regular grinder design... That is also what is awesome about the FM, since it is not a regular grinder design, it also never has to worry about locking up and can always turn smoothly no matter the consistency of your herbs.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either option, and I could make a strong case for owning both!
I see, thanks! Yeah I searched the thread and saw a lot of your pics, they were a great help! I was just checking what the other poster meant since the portion under the screen doesn't look that spacious to store additional flower.

re: Getting Dirty: My question could have been worded better, sometimes I find that on aluminum grinders the kief catch always gets sticky even if it's clean and dry, does the stainless steel stick less? I am hoping if I get a 3 chamber and forgo 'saving' the kief and getting as much of the material out each time that this would keep it cleaner and stop it from getting that weird gunky layer. Is it just me? Even when I keep it super clean parts of it ends up sticking to the bottom and I can't get it off without scraping lol. This same gunky layer occurs much quicker on the teeth of the grinder, which I'm hoping will happen less with this more 'cheese grater'(?) method of the Flower Mill.

Shit Snacks

I see, thanks! Yeah I searched the thread and saw a lot of your pics, they were a great help! I was just checking what the other poster meant since the portion under the screen doesn't look that spacious to store additional flower.

re: Getting Dirty: My question could have been worded better, sometimes I find that on aluminum grinders the kief catch always gets sticky even if it's clean and dry, does the stainless steel stick less? I am hoping if I get a 3 chamber and forgo 'saving' the kief and getting as much of the material out each time that this would keep it cleaner and stop it from getting that weird gunky layer. Is it just me? Even when I keep it super clean parts of it ends up sticking to the bottom and I can't get it off without scraping lol. This same gunky layer occurs much quicker on the teeth of the grinder, which I'm hoping will happen less with this more 'cheese grater'(?) method of the Flower Mill.

Oh haha that makes sense, over time the kief is going to stick, weed is sticky, and a lot of time that tray it's for a long time untouched? However this section of the mill is not stainless steel (those parts are the plates, the top plate in the lid, and the side ring that holds them together, where they turn) it is anodized aluminum, which is nice because it is pretty non-stick, though yeah over time there is still going to be residue building up just like any grinder (even a steel one)

And yeah I personally think filtering kief is stupid, I don't want to weaken the herbs I am grinding for some future salad, especially because kief is not necessarily that easy to vape, but yeah I want to keep the keif together with the buds I am grinding up to load in the bowls I am vaping for the full experience!

And yeah I think they were just talking about storing a thin layer of ground herbs in the keif catch, not a lot...

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
Jay and I have been spending some time in the shop playing around with 'heat-anodizing' the stainless parts on the Premiums, and I thought a few guys here might want to play with theirs, too.

trl692Hl.jpg

The colour change is actually an oxide forming, and it happens from a chemical reaction that takes place when steel is heated to a certain temperature while exposed to the oxygen in the atmosphere. It's the same reaction that gives tig welded stainless steel it's beautiful rainbow colours. We just used a butane torch for ours, and some acetone to clean up the parts. Here's a chart showing temp/colour:

10rdOrWl.jpg

This was done with an OEM finish (and a good cleaning):
uXHEmKRl.jpg

But the oxide takes on the properties of the surface finish it forms on, so if you polish the parts beforehand they go gloss:
YWhsNCxl.jpg

ypEsZHEl.jpg

VCxKp47l.jpg

It doesn't take long to sand off, so Jay made this:
QfcQ9NIl.jpg

RcGy02zl.jpg

Be sure the parts are clean, like, realllly clean. Use acetone (or streak free equivalent) and only handle the parts with rubber gloves on before hitting them with the torch. The oils from your hand will stain the finish you're going for. Even a piece of lint can cause a blemish. (There's an opportunity to use that to your advantage and make a cool textured finish...) The coating isn't applied, so it won't flake, but will likely wear off eventually where the bearing surfaces contact when the grind is in use after time. But, it's easy to scrub off with fine sandpaper or coarse scotch-brite and re-do any time.

And thanks as always for the great feedback! The coarse plates have been a success, and it looks like we'll make adding them to the expansion pack shortly! Big thanks to the test group for giving us critical feedback! (Don't stop - that goes for everyone!) As with all Flower Mill updates, we'll make these parts available inexpensively for anyone who didn't get the revision at their time of purchase.

Shit Snacks

Jay and I have been spending some time in the shop playing around with 'heat-anodizing' the stainless parts on the Premiums, and I thought a few guys here might want to play with theirs, too.

trl692Hl.jpg

The colour change is actually an oxide forming, and it happens from a chemical reaction that takes place when steel is heated to a certain temperature while exposed to the oxygen in the atmosphere. It's the same reaction that gives tig welded stainless steel it's beautiful rainbow colours. We just used a butane torch for ours, and some acetone to clean up the parts. Here's a chart showing temp/colour:

10rdOrWl.jpg

This was done with an OEM finish (and a good cleaning):
uXHEmKRl.jpg

But the oxide takes on the properties of the surface finish it forms on, so if you polish the parts beforehand they go gloss:
YWhsNCxl.jpg

ypEsZHEl.jpg

VCxKp47l.jpg

It doesn't take long to sand off, so Jay made this:
QfcQ9NIl.jpg

RcGy02zl.jpg

Be sure the parts are clean, like, realllly clean. Use acetone (or streak free equivalent) and only handle the parts with rubber gloves on before hitting them with the torch. The oils from your hand will stain the finish you're going for. Even a piece of lint can cause a blemish. (There's an opportunity to use that to your advantage and make a cool textured finish...) The coating isn't applied, so it won't flake, but will likely wear off eventually where the bearing surfaces contact when the grind is in use after time. But, it's easy to scrub off with fine sandpaper or coarse scotch-brite and re-do any time.

And thanks as always for the great feedback! The coarse plates have been a success, and it looks like we'll make adding them to the expansion pack shortly! Big thanks to the test group for giving us critical feedback! (Don't stop - that goes for everyone!) As with all Flower Mill updates, we'll make these parts available inexpensively for anyone who didn't get the revision at their time of purchase.

This is so cool! I don't think I have the guts to try it myself, but I love the color variation and the shiny pieces too! Could be a good idea to offer some special custom FM kits... :tup:

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
This is so cool! I don't think I have the guts to try it myself, but I love the color variation and the shiny pieces too! Could be a good idea to offer some special custom FM kits... :tup:
What could go wrong!? 😅

We're thinking about it. Currently pending some time looking into the highest quality way to have them done if so.

Oh, and I should have edited the post earlier.. but I forgot to mention that it's critical to heat the pieces slowly! Keep the torch moving, and don't put the flame too close or you'll get hot-spots form that will kill the look you're going for. Glowing red = bad!

If one were to purchase a Flower Mill...could we get something like that done lol
Not at the moment, but I may consider doing a few for a handful of people...

And just a PSA for anyone not following us on IG:
The entire Flower Mill website is 15% off to celebrate Memorial Day! Good through Monday - 11:59pm

eGUAtiYl.png

As always, thanks for the support and great conversation!

420Woot

Here is my experience with the coarse grinder. So I pretty much only use the extreme Q, vaporizer. I have only been using the finest screen because I read somewhere it was best for vaping. This is using bud from October that's been curing.
Coarse insert on left, finest on right using 6 month old weed

My October run had a hermie, so I have found ten or so mature seeds in my buds over time. Since I use a fine screen, any seeds I don't catch are milled with the herb. Didn't bother me besides losing a potential plant. While using the coarse screen, I was thinking how great this would be for milling seeded bud. The holes are big enough for seeds to fall through without breaking. Well sure enough, as you can see in the second photo, I found a whole intact seed in the milled herb! I was ecstatic.
Found a seed using the coarse insert

So, for my purposes, the finest screen produces more vapor. However, I would have loved to use the coarse one in October when I first started smoking. this bud. I would have grounded up once with the coarse to find the seed, and then again with the finer screen to vape.

Update on some fresher weed. This was cut down on Sunday, so been drying only six days and not cured. I noticed it was much easier to mill the fresher bud with the coarser insert. The finest insert, in the second pic, took much more time and pressure to get it all through. So for those with issues with their hands, the coarse insert will likely be the easiest to use.

COARSE INSERT below with fresh weed, dried but not cured

FINEST INSERT below with fresh weed, dried but not cured

Last edited:
Top Bottom