Flower Mill

seriousTone

Damn this is disappointing, this is the only grinder I've even been interested in.

I wonder if the new ones have the same problem...maybe I'll pick one up for 4/20 and hopefully get lucky - but it's almost not worth it...

Makes me wonder if the grinder I bought on amazon YEARS ago has had this problem but I'm too scared to check.

seriousTone,
Reactions: Adobewan

SquirrelMaster

Damn this is disappointing, this is the only grinder I've even been interested in.

I wonder if the new ones have the same problem...maybe I'll pick one up for 4/20 and hopefully get lucky - but it's almost not worth it...

Makes me wonder if the grinder I bought on amazon YEARS ago has had this problem but I'm too scared to check.
The new versions have the same ring already installed, so they'll have the same issue.

The ring should be concave so any contact with side walls is during opening and closing only. I haven't received my ring yet, still waiting for it to ship, but they're flat I believe.

Get an Old Mate for a little bit more imo.

SquirrelMaster

My new ring did arrive but as others have said, it only stops contact at the top "lip" of the two parts. The side walls will still make contact so metal dust is inevitable.

@FlowerMillJohn Did you try making a ring that had a sidewall? This way the only contact would be when opening and closing the Mill.

RxPlorer

My new ring did arrive but as others have said, it only stops contact at the top "lip" of the two parts. The side walls will still make contact so metal dust is inevitable.

@FlowerMillJohn Did you try making a ring that had a sidewall? This way the only contact would be when opening and closing the Mill.
Good look with that discussion. They're outright ignoring the topic at this point.

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Is there positive feedback on the washer? I'm doubtful given where mine was dusting (central pivot hole, the OD of the rotor). Doesn't seem the the new part could possibly help those interfaces.
At the time I wrote this question I was trying to be gentle and also not queer my refund.
I'll say this now: With nearly 3 decades of professional experience separating today and engineering school it was easy to see the proposed solution of a single flat washer was completely inadequate as it only isolated one of (at least) three zones of frictive rubbing.

My sample produced the *most* dust on the outer edge of the rotor and in the hole where the central pivot sits inside the rotor.

*Nothing* was done to prevent contact in these areas; soon as I saw the proposed fix I was out.

Interesting idea, poor execution, and the fix is a lame band-aid recovery attempt.

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...

lazylathe

Almost there...
@FlowerMillJohn how do you sleep at night dude? Properly shameful.
There was another person on Reddit with the same issue...
He is also disappointed with the total lack of updates or redesign to eliminate the aluminum dust from just using the grinder...

Their "fix" is useless as well...

I bought one a few years ago and had the same issue, the top part ground away. Contacted them and the owner actually stopped by to drop off a new top piece!
Great CS I thought then he told me I was using the grinder incorrectly...
🤣😂🤣🤣

Whilst I love the concept, I personally find the function leaving a lot to be desired with my premium.

Specifically, if I don't equally distribute my herb around the grinder plate, applying pressure often leads to an imbalance when twisting which causes the lid to bind at the least supported side and makes it functionally difficult/damages the finish.

Using an very light twist seems to rectify this at the cost of spending several minutes gently milling.

There's definitely a good chance it's my technique, though I have tried several approaches to changing that and feel for something that touts a simple design, the intuitiveness seems to be lacking.

Finally, regarding customer service; once I started hearing about the issue with metal dust and being able to order a free set of friction rings, I immediately jumped on that offer!
Unfortunately, after several months of waiting, I hadn't received them. So I shot an email over and after several more weeks received an apology and was informed a second set had been sent out.
Several more months down the line and I've still received nothing, which has further reinforced my lack of confidence in using my Flowermill.

All in all, I'd say the "grinder" itself feels incredibly premium with a perfectly balanced weight and beautifully smooth threads, though in actual function whilst it is very capable of milling with almost perfect consistency, the action leaves a lot to be desired and the friction of the lid along with findings regarding metal dust is extremely off-putting.

Last edited:
Horse Flakes,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Finally, regarding customer service; once I started hearing about the issue with metal dust and being able to order a free set of friction rings, I immediately jumped on that offer!
Unfortunately, after several months of waiting, I hadn't received them. So I shot an email over and after several more weeks received an apology and was informed a second set had been sent out.
Several more months down the line and I've still received nothing, which has further reinforced my lack of confidence in using my Flowermill.
Unfortunately the friction rings don't really help. This is not a problem that FlowerMill is equipped or motivated to solve.

Grass Yes,
Reactions: shroomi

RxPlorer

They need to be sued out of existence at this point. They're still selling new units to the unwitting, and somehow the marketing and sales processes work just fine while every other function of the company is non-existent.

Radwin Bodnic

They need to be sued out of existence at this point. They're still selling new units to the unwitting, and somehow the marketing and sales processes work just fine while every other function of the company is non-existent.
They probably have rushed the design and the manufacturing. I think that they have produced a large batch of a product that not have been tested enough. What they are selling is basically a mass produced prototype with the finish of a premium product.

These CNC'd parts are going through quite a lot of expensive processes (machining time is expensive, surfacing, anodizing and engraving as well). And making big batches is the only way to make quickly feasible to run a buziness. Prototyping is a really expensive step in the production.

Still, that is no excuse to keep selling it and not servicing the defective units already sold. The investment must have been to big...

With the lack of independent normative testing on the cannabis and hemp paraphernalia and because of too much manufacturers trying to enter the market, it is often that it is to customers to actually test the products.

But that's a part of what FC lives for : independent testing and setting high standards into a completely non standardized industry.

popitup

Wow, okay. So I just bought one of these a month ago and it didn't come with the rings y'all were talking about in April.

I just learned about the metal dust issue, clearly the vendor knows about the issue, but opted to send me an item without the fix??

What a shame, this grinder feels great, but I'm not sure I feel safe using it after reading the last few pages of this thread :(.

popitup,
Reactions: moogosa

PossumMD

Wow, okay. So I just bought one of these a month ago and it didn't come with the rings y'all were talking about in April.

I just learned about the metal dust issue, clearly the vendor knows about the issue, but opted to send me an item without the fix??
Yeah, that's a bit fucky.

But for what it's worth, I used mine heavily til this blew up, and my mate still uses it with zero dust. And I know I'm not alone. Now, what does that mean for you? Kinda nothing, I can't even make up stats as to which do and don't fail. So, yeah, I'd try for a return.

PossumMD,

RxPlorer

What a shame, this grinder feels great, but I'm not sure I feel safe using it after reading the last few pages of this thread :(.
Sad to hear that but not surprised. To me this "full refund or lawsuit" material. They know what they're doing. Edit: or depending on how you made the purchase your could dispute the charge with your card provider

RxPlorer,
Reactions: simba
Ok, so i've just read up on all of this.
The radio silence from John is nothing short of disgraceful.

I was extremely close to pulling the trigger on a Flowermill premium, then read about some dodgy as 'plastic washer' upgrade, then got to the nuts and bolts of the problems. And it ain't pretty in the slightest.

$100USD for a herb grinder, oh wait sorry it's a "herb mill" my bad. A grinder that is fundamentally flawed in design in the worst possible way, allowing metal on metal contact on multiple parts of the grinder, which is producing an awful lot of metal dust? Is this some sort of sick joke!?

What a proper scumbag company, absolutely disgraceful money hungry POS

Last edited:
So.

Just got my rings/washers in the mail.

Took about 45 seconds to put in.

I will say it is MUCH smoother now. I dont think there is much, if at all, metal on metal contact. Magnet also seems to be unchanged.

I have the grinder grease, but it seems it will be obsolete now….unless i put a tiny bit on the outside, if necessary a
Hey,
keen to hear how you're going with your unit now after these months of use, is there any dust?

TripeneTerchomeZ,
Reactions: lazylathe

Madtater

Hey,
keen to hear how you're going with your unit now after these months of use, is there any dust?
I honestly have not had any issues when i have used jt, but i use the bees wax stuff on the outside edges, so IF there is any dust, it will get caught up in there rather than drop in my flower. I have cleaned it and have not noticed any dust…..but I don’t use a ton of flower, i am mostly concentrates now, so it probably doesn’t get the use most others did when they noticed the dusting.

I honestly have not had any issues when i have used jt, but i use the bees wax stuff on the outside edges, so IF there is any dust, it will get caught up in there rather than drop in my flower. I have cleaned it and have not noticed any dust…..but I don’t use a ton of flower, i am mostly concentrates now, so it probably doesn’t get the use most others did when they noticed the dusting.
Nice one, atleast thats a positive there's atleast someone thats not facing these metal dust issues. I will say this though:
This FlowerMill Metal Dust issue is a seriously concerning safety hazard, with repeated exposure there is an extremely high likelihood of severe impact injury.

The way its all been dealt with by Flowermill is extremely questionable to say the least, and all of a sudden when it's not good publicity for his company John completely ghosts the very flowermill FC thread he created because he was apparently an enthusiast with alot of passion and love for the community and wanted to do everything right by his customers, ahhh the irony.

Id imagine someone will take legal action, if that isn't already underway. 💯

Edit:Spelling 😅

Last edited:
TripeneTerchomeZ,
Reactions: lazylathe

lazylathe

Almost there...
@TripeneTerchomeZ

Check this post I made on 23 June 2021!!!
Think I was the one of the first few to notice this happening...
Owner told me I did not know how to use a grinder which I found quite comical!!!

Sad to see they are still selling this product that is not worth buying!!

@TripeneTerchomeZ

Check this post I made on 23 June 2021!!!
Think I was the one of the first few to notice this happening...
Owner told me I did not know how to use a grinder which I found quite comical!!!

Sad to see they are still selling this product that is not worth buying!!

Ohhh John literally come to see you face to face to replace a faulty part? that's pretty good CS i must say!

I might be being a little bit too forgiving writing this, but maybe at that early stage of the detection of metal dust, he genuinely actually thought you were misusing the product which was causing the metal dust to form. In saying that, the design should have always been such that you can't get metal on metal rubbing together, even with 'incorrect use'. BIG FAIL here by FlowerMill

I can definitely see how you would have felt bellittled being told you were using a herb grinder incorrectly and that it's your own fault though.

Did you receive a refund in the end?

Top Bottom