Flower Mill

AndyO

Just for my own interest, is it only the aluminium version that produces/produced the dust? Or does the stainless do it too?

I'm a bit of a grinder fiend, and I'm looking at the stainless version, but don't want to vape steel.

AndyO,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Just for my own interest, is it only the aluminium version that produces/produced the dust? Or does the stainless do it too?

I'm a bit of a grinder fiend, and I'm looking at the stainless version, but don't want to vape steel.

The steel one is not completely steel, talking about the aluminum parts primarily, within the premium model

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: lazylathe

AndyO

The steel one is not completely steel, talking about the aluminum parts primarily, within the premium model

I didn't even know it wasn't entirely steel - they should probably make that clearer!

Which parts in the stainless steel version are aluminium? And have their fixes resolved the issue?

Shit Snacks

I didn't even know it wasn't entirely steel - they should probably make that clearer!

Yeah only the main parts are, if you read more of this thread you might see that, but you certainly would hope they would make that clear on the website when purchasing lol

Which parts in the stainless steel version are aluminium? And have their fixes resolved the issue?

The entire shell is aluminum, I think it was the rim on top rubbing the lid while you turn, I don't know because I didn't experience the problem, likely did not use mine enough... If you read the thread though again, even just skimming backwards most recently, doesn't sound like they fixed really??

RxPlorer

Yeah only the main parts are, if you read more of this thread you might see that, but you certainly would hope they would make that clear on the website when purchasing lol

The entire shell is aluminum, I think it was the rim on top rubbing the lid while you turn, I don't know because I didn't experience the problem, likely did not use mine enough... If you read the thread though again, even just skimming backwards most recently, doesn't sound like they fixed really??
I’ve been following the history so I’ll try to sum it up adequately:

The dust is being created by Aluminum on Steel or steel on steel contact where the rim (stainless) of the bottom section insets into the channel of the lid (channel is aluminum or stainless, depending on the manufacturing date).

dust is generated when the mill is unevenly filled, which results in a canted lid and contact/friction between the metal surfaces. Not everyone has seen the dust because your style of usage has a direct relationship to how much dust is created. Unfortunately for us Customers, the dust particles are very very small, and will likely drop directly into the flower that is being milled. Additionally, any friction at all between steal and aluminum will scratch aluminum. Therefore some quantity of aluminum dust has been consumed whether or not it has been noticed.

The “fix” for existing units was a set of thin plastic spacers that are placed in the channel and center post of the lid. For new units, a lid redesign with a stainless-clad channel was supposed to resolve the issue permanently. Within a few days or weeks of the fixes being in the wild, reports and photos began to circulate on Reddit that demonstrated both fixes to be ineffective.

@FlowerMillJohn and @FlowerMillAaron at one point conceded that problems were still being seen, and investigated, but this hazardous design flaw was never resolved. They will ignore inquiries and complaints about this issue, but they still happily market and sell this dangerous product to the unsuspecting buyers.

Last edited:

AndyO

I’ve been following the history so I’ll try to sum it up adequately:

The dust is being created by Aluminum on Steel or steel on steel contact where the rim (stainless) of the bottom section insets into the channel of the lid (channel is aluminum or stainless, depending on the manufacturing date).

dust is generated when the mill is unevenly filled, which results in a canted lid and contact/friction between the metal surfaces. Not everyone has seen the dust because your style of usage has a direct relationship to how much dust is created. Unfortunately for us Customers, the dust particles are very very small, and will likely drop directly into the flower that is being milled. Additionally, any friction at all between steal and aluminum will scratch aluminum. Therefore some quantity of aluminum dust has been consumed whether or not it has been noticed.

The “fix” for existing units was a set of thin plastic spacers that are placed in the rim channel and center post of the lid. For new units, a lid redesign with a stainless-clad channel was supposed to resolve the issue permanently. Within a few days or weeks of the fixes being in the wild, reports and photos began to circulate on Reddit that demonstrated both fixes to be ineffective.

@FlowerMillJohn and @FlowerMillAaron at one point conceded that problems were still being seen, and investigated, but this hazardous design flaw was never resolved. They will ignore inquiries and complaints about this issue, but they still happily market and sell this dangerous product to the unsuspecting buyers.

Thanks so much for the run down mate, that's exactly what I was hoping for!

RxPlorer

No problem. I just looked at the site and it seems that now the fix is to buy yourself some Mill Wax, because, “The mill was designed to operate for long periods between cleanings and during normal operation a thin layer of natural flower oils reduces friction and wear.” :hmm:i guess we were all just keeping our grinders ‘too clean’?

Jojofernz

Just wanna say definitely shady on the company’s part. Unfortunately I never saw anything about this or elsewhere until AFTER a flower mill was recommended to me.

Have had it since near the beginning of the year and with repeated checks, don’t seem to have the issue of dusting thankfully. But still just unfortunate that it’s happened and how the company has responded(or not responded)

I love the milling action of the device and how my bud comes out through it. Looks and feels great too. So it’s disappointing to see a great product with such big potential have issues like this holding it back.

One day will have to try out a BCG or Aroma instead but for now mine has no issues and I love the thing but if I went back now, maybe wouldn’t have purchased.

Wish there was some legit mill-style grinders out there. Stona looks cool

RxPlorer

Just wanna say definitely shady on the company’s part. Unfortunately I never saw anything about this or elsewhere until AFTER a flower mill was recommended to me.

Have had it since near the beginning of the year and with repeated checks, don’t seem to have the issue of dusting thankfully. But still just unfortunate that it’s happened and how the company has responded(or not responded)

I love the milling action of the device and how my bud comes out through it. Looks and feels great too. So it’s disappointing to see a great product with such big potential have issues like this holding it back.

One day will have to try out a BCG or Aroma instead but for now mine has no issues and I love the thing but if I went back now, maybe wouldn’t have purchased.

Stona looks epic! Have any FC users tried it?

Durbandream

Agreed, I have the Flower Mill Mini and it works great. I don't think there's a metal dusting issue with it, there's nothing in the mill itself but there is some black residue where it screws together when I ISO bathe it which I assume is paint but could be scraping, it's so fine I can't tell. Either way, they handled the dusting issue like absolute scumbags, it's incredible the company still exists. Good engineers with a great idea, poor execution and sociopathic customer service.

R1ng0

I haven't tried it... yet. I hope I'll have the chance in 2024.
I have been in touch with Flo, the creator and owner of Stona. He is a really friendly guy and also a Vapor enthusiast ! He uses the Vapman.

A smaller version of the stona grinder is on the works for next year. :tup:
Yeah no UK distributor but I wanted to try one to buy apparently are sorting after chaos Brexit caused shipping lol

R1ng0,

R1ng0

"Now is a time to stop complaining that we've shat the bed, and instead all learn to live together, respecting each other, in a shitty bed."
I'm sorry you can do that if you like me I'd buy a new bed. But Ty for letting us know that you like living in a shitty bed even when you didn't order one :) peace

mixchu69

I just listened to “First Smoke of the Day.” A podcast I listen to hear the stories of the top cultivators. The biggest names in cannabis are on the show (ie Berner from Cookies, Wizard Trees, Doja, DEO)

The host of the show recommended the flower mill. The funny thing for this episode was that the guest was stache products and he was bragging that their grinder does not leave any dust or residue.

Even the misinformation Stache shares is surprising. So I am not surprised that the owner of Flower mill is staying quiet. Ppl listen to these podcasts, don’t do the research, and buy off a recommendation.

Shit Snacks

I just listened to “First Smoke of the Day.” A podcast I listen to hear the stories of the top cultivators. The biggest names in cannabis are on the show (ie Berner from Cookies, Wizard Trees, Doja, DEO)

The host of the show recommended the flower mill. The funny thing for this episode was that the guest was stache products and he was bragging that their grinder does not leave any dust or residue.

Even the misinformation Stache shares is surprising. So I am not surprised that the owner of Flower mill is staying quiet. Ppl listen to these podcasts, don’t do the research, and buy off a recommendation.

Yeah it is honestly so sad how the people behind the actual stuff (not that I ever heard of these cultivators though I know the brand name cookies) no next to nothing about the paraphernalia, not even the niche market of vapes, but clearly the grinders as well... misinformation

Jojofernz

Yeah I got my flower mill based on recommendations, as well as it being sold by Dynavap, when I had just got into Dynavap. Found out about dusting issues after I got and was using mine. I check mine often for it and actually just cleaned mine cause I got the extra plates kit and it doesn’t seem to have issues thankfully but the fact there is and more of a chance for it to happen without any of that disclosure or even mention on it for stuff is pretty unfortunate for people getting into this space.

Durbandream

To be fair, you shouldn't have to do any research about this. A grinder that potentially leaves metal shavings in your weed shouldn't be on the market under any circumstances. The company itself should be transparent about it. The "experts" recommending the device should have at least that much knowledge. There are so many failures before it gets to the consumer it's insane.

Also, your normal weed smoker who bought this probably did do their research. A google search for Flower Mill Grinder just pulls up its own site and a bunch of reviews and places to buy them. There's one easily missed link to a Reddit page about the metal shaving but otherwise a person doing what they assume is the simple task of buying a weed grinder has probably done exactly as much research as anyone would expect a reasonable person to do when buying it. They don't expect that the people they're buying it from are greedy, harmful pieces of trash.

AndyO

I won a Venty from my local vape store this week, and they also threw in a Flower Mill.

I've had my Aroma-3 also turn up this week, so the Flower Mill (stainless version) hasn't seen much use, but it seems to me that if you put your bud in there pretty evenly (not just in one clump), I'm not sure how you'd get the shavings issue. The only way it'll happen is if you've got the lid on super crooked.

No, it shouldn't leave metal shavings. Yes, it is a design flaw. But as users surely we have an obligation to eliminate obvious user error before slamming the product? I dunno. I just really like the consistency of the milled bud, and using it properly, I can't imagine how you're going to get the metal shavings issue.

My issue I guess, if I have one, is with the kief catcher - that I did have to pay an extra 30 bucks (Australian) for - it seems like a bit of a waste of time and money, I don't see much being able to get through.

R1ng0

I won a Venty from my local vape store this week, and they also threw in a Flower Mill.

I've had my Aroma-3 also turn up this week, so the Flower Mill (stainless version) hasn't seen much use, but it seems to me that if you put your bud in there pretty evenly (not just in one clump), I'm not sure how you'd get the shavings issue. The only way it'll happen is if you've got the lid on super crooked.

No, it shouldn't leave metal shavings. Yes, it is a design flaw. But as users surely we have an obligation to eliminate obvious user error before slamming the product? I dunno. I just really like the consistency of the milled bud, and using it properly, I can't imagine how you're going to get the metal shavings issue.

My issue I guess, if I have one, is with the kief catcher - that I did have to pay an extra 30 bucks (Australian) for - it seems like a bit of a waste of time and money, I don't see much being able to get through.
User error on a product I'm a tester it's what I do there is no such thing as a right and wrong way when you test you have to test all the specs then the out of the box ones, I'm pretty sure they would have discovered that flaw and reported it , and it was probably too expensive to fix so they launched with it, hoping most users wouldn't come across it. Now they have they realised they made the wrong decision hence the radio silence. The fact they continue to market it when they know it's shortfalls are terrible, dishonest and darn right dangerous. So good luck to you using it ,mines a paperweight and the Aroma OM3 bought to replace it is far superior in every way so kudos to them.

Merry Christmas

Jojofernz

If I could regularly drop $150 on just a grinder I would absolutely pick up the aroma 3 but flower mill is what I’m stuck with and it works excellent at least. If I could get my money back I would but Dynavap said no and themselves denied claims of shavings without myself having direct evidence of my unit and flower mill said I have to go through them.

As Andy said, I find the milling part of it the best thing about it, I prefer it over teeth but wish it didn’t have this one big issue

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I've had my Aroma-3 also turn up this week, so the Flower Mill (stainless version) hasn't seen much use, but it seems to me that if you put your bud in there pretty evenly (not just in one clump), I'm not sure how you'd get the shavings issue. The only way it'll happen is if you've got the lid on super crooked
You've misunderstood how the metal shavings occur. Go back and read about the metal shavings problem in this thread. I don't understand how placing your bud more evenly would prevent this dust: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/flower-mill.50594/post-1729515

This is an issue discussed on this thread for years. It is not user error.

Madtater

You've misunderstood how the metal shavings occur. Go back and read about the metal shavings problem in this thread. I don't understand how placing your bud more evenly would prevent this dust: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/flower-mill.50594/post-1729515

This is an issue discussed on this thread for years. It is not user error.
He is saying that if the top is flat, then it won’t rub on the bottom. If it is at an agngle it will rub.

Thats all. I get what he is saying, but the design is flawed. The plastic ring helps, but it doesnt prevent.

Madtater,

Durbandream

People who are smoking weed should be comfortable using a product in a perfectly ordinary way without fear of ingesting metal shavings. And if it does need to be used in some special way, the manufacturer should alert the consumer of that specific method to avoid a potentially dangerous result. I understand you want to convince yourself the issue isn't that serious, but it is, and you should stop putting any onus on the consumer for a critical flaw that is specific to this grinder and this shady company.

Top Bottom