Flower Mill

kel

FuckMisogynists!
John, that 'smaller version' logo,, if you are going down this route.... is a big improvement!

Still not to my liking, but I already have a FM so I guess I don't care hehe ;)

kel,

MK

Finally convinced me to go ahead and scoop one so at least you are building up some sales! I like the picture of the laser etched test topper with the text - I like it more than I thought I would after seeing just the raw design. I think the flower design wrapping around the text is a cleaner look than the smaller flower with the text jutting out of the design (the new concept shown). Its a tough redesign and while I aesthetically prefer it without the text I think you guys are overall making the right call by adding the name. That easy advertising is just too valuable to pass up.

Vaporware

Wow thanks for all of the great feedback! I started quoting each one, but I don't think I'll have enough time on my lunch! I've read them all, and we are taking all opinions with a heavy weight, so, thank you!

It seems like most of you cared less about the price increase, and more about the logo space. That's awesome, and it came as a surprise. It really shows what makes this forum so good. It pains me to see the responses, because I feel the same way! But it's also a healthy reality check for gauging what people really value in the product. I agree internally with suggestions: "Go logo-less, or hold your ground on staying minimal," but I've come to agree with the opposing argument that we have to in some ways 'earn' the right to have less branding. Same as we learned we must 'earn' moving manufacturing back to the USA, or risk dying on that hill before we've even had a chance to make a difference and do good.

Sorry to the people who said this was a deal breaker for them. I understand, and thank you for the candor! I should add, my yuuge photo probably didn't help. I think no-logo variants will be in our cards, so in the meantime just bare with us. We'll be making fun versions and offering different configurations on the website, so we still have lots of freedom that way. This is more for the larger distribution partners. We'd also like to do some special stuff for FC forum peeps, too.

Here's a look at what it's like lasered:

LYWWc7Wm.jpg

Here's a smaller version we we're looking at too:
XIZX2jKm.jpg

Aaron just sent me the coupon code! Good until Sunday Sept 5 at 12am.It was hard to make it save the difference, plus the discount. So this is just a 25% off code: 25till95

Keep the responses coming!

Also consider that “Made in the USA” still has value to a lot of people. If you wanted to continue making a separate US version without the logo that would probably be the most popular one here. It might also be a good place to do a public beta test your new ideas before taking them to mass production. :)

Texus

Yeah. Still no dice for me on any of that new branding. And again I'd suggest some actual formal research on this. I do customer insights research and happy to give some ideas.

Or branding that is removable. I decided to get the Hotshot IH only once I realized that the branding was stickers that could be removed.

Or offer a variety of logo options in a pull-down menu. I even see some manufacturers offering custom engraving/logos tho imagine that could be a real headache real quick.

attackpoints

TL;DR: if you're on the fence for trying out a Mill, I'm urging you to do so right now of you'd like to get one the way it exists now! I'll also toss you guys a coupon code for the site that will keep existing prices for FC members until this Sunday at 12am! Pluuuus your 15% discount, don't worry.
Felt like this was directly at me and put in an order! Thank you for the coupon code, I've been eyeing the fm while shopping for a new grinder.

The new logo is...I don't know. I wouldn't be discouraged from purchasing it, but I definitely prefer the text less option. Enough where I quickly purchased one to avoid it.

A logoless version would be ideal, but I understand wanting to brand the product. That being said, I would probably cover it up with a sticker of my own...I liked @cx714's suggestion of a relief design.

IsaacHayes

Salty Balls™ Authorized distributor
People it's a little strange that you care so much about one logo or another and not where the product is made. (No longer in the US)

IsaacHayes,

Green Kiwi

Oh also, colours might be a thing soon.. Opinions?
Yeah !! :clap: 👊, looking awesome brother, bring it on!
(even though the mill I have now is for life, sooo ,please help my with a good reason to make the wifey agree with new colours😛😝:brow:.)
OOOOh and I do strongly agree with @Shitsnacks post about you want it quite fine for the Mighty.Coarse especially, when still a tad on the damp side is not working well in the Mighty.
(interesting ,coarse works excellent in the crafty +:sherlock::2c:).

Go,Go,Go, Fower Mill John and the team!:luv:.

Hey John

From where?:)
What would be your guess????
mmm, Xi? yes ,very likely.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
I think you guys are overall making the right call by adding the name. That easy advertising is just too valuable to pass up.
I think it all comes down to your conception of “brand.” If you dig down to the cattle-ranching roots, brands are just symbols that can be forged into a hot iron shape, marking your lightly abused steer in the interest of clear title.

Does “Flower Mill” really need to be tacked onto the logo? I’m still not convinced. Sure, the current logo could be improved but the fact that it’s on the lid of every mill sold gives it clear weight as an identifier.

If I write the word ‘swoosh’—not even draw it—you know what company I’m talking about. How about ‘golden arches?’ That’s the associative power of identity design. Not to beat a dead horse, but the BCG doesn’t have a logo or any text— the design itself signifies the brand.

A flower attracts bees to ensure propagation, freeing the leaves, stems, and roots to do the dull work of keeping the plant alive. Put “Flower Mill” on the box and the letterhead and all those fat receipts— right next to the logo, big as life. But let the product be a flower.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Wow thanks for all of the great feedback! I started quoting each one, but I don't think I'll have enough time on my lunch! I've read them all, and we are taking all opinions with a heavy weight, so, thank you!

It seems like most of you cared less about the price increase, and more about the logo space. That's awesome, and it came as a surprise. It really shows what makes this forum so good. It pains me to see the responses, because I feel the same way! But it's also a healthy reality check for gauging what people really value in the product. I agree internally with suggestions: "Go logo-less, or hold your ground on staying minimal," but I've come to agree with the opposing argument that we have to in some ways 'earn' the right to have less branding. Same as we learned we must 'earn' moving manufacturing back to the USA, or risk dying on that hill before we've even had a chance to make a difference and do good.

Sorry to the people who said this was a deal breaker for them. I understand, and thank you for the candor! I should add, my yuuge photo probably didn't help. I think no-logo variants will be in our cards, so in the meantime just bare with us. We'll be making fun versions and offering different configurations on the website, so we still have lots of freedom that way. This is more for the larger distribution partners. We'd also like to do some special stuff for FC forum peeps, too.

LYWWc7Wm.jpg

XIZX2jKm.jpg

Aaron just sent me the coupon code! Good until Sunday Sept 5 at 12am.It was hard to make it save the difference, plus the discount. So this is just a 25% off code: 25till95

This is just about the classiest reply from a manufacturer I've seen. I hope that there will be a subtle version available when I make it to the States next. Either way you all deserve every success and I wish you the best.

MK

I think it all comes down to your conception of “brand.” If you dig down to the cattle-ranching roots, brands are just symbols that can be forged into a hot iron shape, marking your lightly abused steer in the interest of clear title.

Does “Flower Mill” really need to be tacked onto the logo? I’m still not convinced. Sure, the current logo could be improved but the fact that it’s on the lid of every mill sold gives it clear weight as an identifier.

If I write the word ‘swoosh’—not even draw it—you know what company I’m talking about. How about ‘golden arches?’ That’s the associative power of identity design. Not to beat a dead horse, but the BCG doesn’t have a logo or any text— the design itself signifies the brand.

A flower attracts bees to ensure propagation, freeing the leaves, stems, and roots to do the dull work of keeping the plant alive. Put “Flower Mill” on the box and the letterhead and all those fat receipts— right next to the logo, big as life. But let the product be a flower.

I agree with you from start to finish, personally. I think most on this forum would agree with this line of thinking - it alludes to a respect for quality, tradition, story. These are aspects that many of us appreciate and these qualities reflect in our purchasing decisions. Same as with being American made versus alternatives - we value, and are willing to pay extra for, the qualities that come with it being American Made. I think many of us here greatly value the slow, deliberate, cured, pastoral, traditional, woodgrain, etc that gives us a greater emotional/physical/ritualistic/etc connection to these devices. You are absolutely right.

I don't believe we are the majority, though. I think most consumers of these products don't have that extended connection to these devices and these changes will work towards capturing more of that crowd. There is a place in this market for companies that DON'T take these steps, undoubtedly. I think Flower Mill is a real player in the high end grinder market but it has to be a tough position between niche and boutique to mass market appeal - these steps can help bridge that gap. Ultimately, these moves (not American made, logo on grinder, price increase) are a low cost move for better return. Its not romantic, for sure. But I think its a necessary play for Flower Mill to have mass market success.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Ultimately, these moves (not American made, logo on grinder, price increase) are a low cost move for better return. Its not romantic, for sure. But I think its a necessary play for Flower Mill to have mass market success.
Totally agree. It’s also why I disagree with but respect FM’s choices— aesthetics aside, the bottom line always ends up counting the most.

That said, I do think there is room in the social/digital landscape for companies to keep that purist integrity and still make sellout dollars. But it’s not the lowest hanging fruit for sure.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Sad but true...

The only thing I would add to the above is that time is a great equaliser in these regards, give it five, ten years? Who knows fifteen, twenty-five? Fifty?

In all that time, of all the many Flower Mills that will be made, mine, my own personal instance, will probably still be going, will long outlast me* and it will still have that early wordless branding that will probably make it a collectors item.

The mass produced logo versions will probably not carry the same gravitas, even though they may be slightly better quality, simply because of a make more money, sooner rather than later, marketing decision, made in 2021.

Yelling GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

p.s. thanks for the 'original' guys!!!

* although knowing my luck I can see myself lasting that long too :rofl:

Datoneguy

Considering picking one of these up. Looks super interesting.
I saw someone mention cleaning the grinder before first using it. Is that required or is okay to use right out of the box?

Datoneguy

What's your guys personal favorite plate to use for vaping?
Do you usually use one or do you use a couple depending on which vape you're grinding for?

I was planning on using the coarse when it comes in, but I keep hearing on reddit that the fine plate and super fine plate are where it's at. Just thought i'd get some other takes on here before I experiment with it myself.

Vaporware

I still have to experiment with the intermediate plates, but I like both the finest and coarsest plates. Which will work better really depends on what you’re putting it in.

Using the FlowerPot and Firewood 7 as examples, here are my thoughts.

FP (low-ish temp)

Coarsest plate - great taste, lower vapor production, needs crushing mid-way to finish extraction

Finest plate - great vapor production, but doesn’t make it to the end.

FW7 (low-mid temp)

Coarsest plate - good taste but low vapor production, had to stir and crush to finish.

Finest plate - great vapor production but flavor can go bad too early at higher temps.

I think the finest plate is good all around, but I think it’s going to be worth it to experiment with some of the others to balance out vapor production vs flavor a bit.

If you like the results of a grinder you have, a plate that gives you a similar looking mill should be a good choice. The FM does a great job, but it can’t change the physics at work in any given vaporizer. :lol:

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall

LYWWc7Wm.jpg

XIZX2jKm.jpg

Apologies, but FWIW I really dislike the text addition to either small or large logo.
There's just something more 'cheap & downmarket' about the presence of the text.
I'd suggest using your flower logo, sans text, much smaller, and offset towards the edge of the grinder (maybe etched deep like it's been stamped in?)
Big shouty logos are definitely off-putting IMO, something much more subtle would be what I'd go for.
(I've grown to really dislike the huge branding on my SLX 303, it looks like very little thought was put into the appearance of the 303, and the newer SLX logos manage to be much more attractive, even though they're still a lot more large than I personally like).
Aesthetic concerns wouldn't prevent me from buying a product that I thought might function well, but if I were on the fence between the FM and other grinders it would definitely steer my decision.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Cheers! Its was a moment of inspiration when I realised a little drum machine had lost one of it's rubber feet - no idea where - and I needed to replace them all with 4 new ones, I was just about to throw the 3 old ones in the bin and pop! brain fizz and here we are!!

I had a little chat to Felicity May about it too, and she really likes it, says it's nice to feel a little cool breeze under there :rofl:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
@FlowerMillAaron and/or @FlowerMillJohn - are the expansion packs still on schedule to ship out on 9/10?
Just curious as I ordered one last week along with the mill and assume they will be shipped out together.
Thanks!

Whooooo!! Congratulations :tup:

I feel partially responsible for this given other discussions, however I am sure it will, and I sincerely hope it does, help with your hands!

My advice, when it turns up, is to stick the whole 1.5g for each of your strains in each time, the only thing I do is remove the main stem if there is one and try and create little nugs very roughly the same size before I start milling. This makes it go very smoothly and quickly.

Top Bottom