Firewood Vaporizer

MMJane

Strange, I couldn't order the fw9 either. Tried 3 different bank cards but none of them went through and I've used all of them….

Exactly how I hold mine usually! Feels very natural. But I do sometimes like to hold it same as picture from @El Duderino , feels like holding a pipe then and feels nostalgic

That’s pretty much how I hold mine, too. It never occurred to me to hold it any other way. I’ve always packed the capsules super firmly and assumed the lid came in contact with the top when it was closed.

I can say, though - I’m only mid-40’s but I’ve got bad joints. Holding down the button for long, leisurely pulls is hard on my thumbs. I’ve got basal joint arthritis. Needed hand PT, steroid injections, etc. previously. I do alternate hands frequently.

The capsules are also getting awkward for me to fill (even with the tray, yes) and move in/out of the oven. I’d never understood the need for tweezers.

The whole thing is making me understand why there’s a FW9 with an *”oven”* and I’m thinking I kinda want to get one.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
That’s pretty much how I hold mine, too. It never occurred to me to hold it any other way. I’ve always packed the capsules super firmly and assumed the lid came in contact with the top when it was closed.

I can say, though - I’m only mid-40’s but I’ve got bad joints. Holding down the button for long, leisurely pulls is hard on my thumbs. I’ve got basal joint arthritis. Needed hand PT, steroid injections, etc. previously. I do alternate hands frequently.

The capsules are also getting awkward for me to fill (even with the tray, yes) and move in/out of the oven. I’d never understood the need for tweezers.

The whole thing is making me understand why there’s a FW9 with an *”oven”* and I’m thinking I kinda want to get one.

If the manipulation of small objects hurts your joints, then the bowl accessory would be much easier for you. You will still need a tamp/pick tool for the bowl version, but it can be much larger with no little cups to drop into place. After the session, a quick blow on the mouthpiece usually shoots the spent load out cleanly. Looks like the bowl kit price was lowered to $37.

It's the loading that takes some time with capsules. For unloading I just turn the chamber upside down over a ceramic dish and let the cup fall out and land upside down. I give it a minute or two, then lift the cup and a quick blow cleans it out. Most of the abv comes out as a little spent puck. You may already know this. Both versions have their pros and cons. Be well.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
always packed the capsules super firmly and assumed the lid came in contact with the top when it was closed.

Yeah ideally though it is not perfect, little crumbs can make their way through the airports and end up touching the heater coil on the outside if knocked around

Holding down the button for long, leisurely pulls is hard on my thumbs. I’ve got basal joint arthritis. Needed hand PT, steroid injections, etc. previously. I do alternate hands frequently.

Yes this is what I hope @firewood Marc will incorporate for the FW10 finally, the ability to just tap the button and have it auto heat for a set number of time, so you don't have to hold it down during your hit, but you could press it one more time to end the auto heat earlier than the set time as well to still maintain full manual control...

I think that would be so nice for people with tired hands or worse like you and me, and probably for other people as well? Would need, I think a separate full power switch, in order to prevent accidental heater activation when in pocket etc. is all really

El Duderino

The Dude abides.
I've seen people mention "blowing out" their bowls. Where do you actually blow the AVB into? I collect my AVB in an old ashtray that I empty from time to time. If I were to blow the AVB directly into it, it would be a huge mess. Or do you first blow onto a tray and then tip the AVB off from there?

Sorry for OT...

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
I've seen people mention "blowing out" their bowls. Where do you actually blow the AVB into? I collect my AVB in an old ashtray that I empty from time to time. If I were to blow the AVB directly into it, it would be a huge mess. Or do you first blow onto a tray and then tip the AVB off from there?

Sorry for OT...
I just blow mine into the bushes, but you could use something like a vape spittoon if you want to save it!

El Duderino

The Dude abides.
I've been using my FW9 for a few months now and Its my new favorite vape. I mostly use the WPA and run it with a J Hook but I'm curious the state of 3rd party stem makers.. I have a High Artisan stem that I'm not too impressed with, does anyone know of more effective stems for cooling?

I use a stem from GoodVibesBoro (https://goodvibesboro.com/store/Firewood-8-And-9-Stems-c151225258) and I like it a lot. They are out of stock but I'm sure there will be more. I don't know how they compare to the stems from HA though.

Shit Snacks

I actually have an idea for a stem that GVB could do, if you remind him for a custom, it would make right angle bend at the edge without any retractability so shorter connector stem as well, that way a little more length and bending should really cool vapor a lot I think, but you could also just get one of his WPA, that is a right angle to provide more cooling and that could be more comfortable to use with a hook or other glass piece? He hasn't made those in a bit

MHL

Try hard noob
Within 72 hours I had lost the bowl plug in my mate's garden. I've just been round there all afternoon trying to find it but gave up
:(
I feel like it's the kind of thing I could just make... if I were a little better with wood... I'm not
:(
So had to order another one from the US where the shipping is more expensive than the damn plug.

20240730-111826.jpg

Finally. Back on the happy path.

And shipping actually wasn't that expensive. And it was very quick... 7 days to the UK.

And I bought a spare because of course I will lose it again.

katabatic

What temperatures do you guys use for your fw9 presets? I've been getting back into vaping after a couple years break and have really liked the fw9, but I noticed a huge difference in effects between presets 1 and 2. Like the difference between casual high and chilling out versus quickly getting blasted lol

katabatic,
Reactions: Octavia

MHL

Try hard noob
I'm a noob, trying it on 330/360/390. I reckon that is just a bit too hot. Might notch the 2 higher temps down a bit.

Does anybody have suggestions for maintenance? I remember reading about beeswax and tung oil and sandpaper... bit can't find the details.... perhaps should have looked *before* I picked up the firewood.

Really love this vape. It feels more rustic than artisanal, but its elegant, easy to use and performs like an absolute champ. A winning combination for me. Even the UI is super easy to get used to.

If anything I'd be up for 6mm or so off the mouthpiece length so that it doesn't stick up out of the body when retracted. And perhaps a bit more grip on that mouthpiece stem, feels just a bit too slippy for my liking.

Shit Snacks

What temperatures do you guys use for your fw9 presets? I've been getting back into vaping after a couple years break and have really liked the fw9, but I noticed a huge difference in effects between presets 1 and 2. Like the difference between casual high and chilling out versus quickly getting blasted lol

Yeah if you skim backwards, we were just talking about this, and it has been discussed a few times, people sharing their temps... I recommend going way low, closer together

If anything I'd be up for 6mm or so off the mouthpiece length so that it doesn't stick up out of the body when retracted

I'm not sure what you mean by this? The stock stem does retract fully, doesn't it?

katabatic

Yeah if you skim backwards, we were just talking about this, and it has been discussed a few times, people sharing their temps... I recommend going way low, closer together

I'm not sure what you mean by this? The stock stem does retract fully, doesn't it?
I'm a noob, trying it on 330/360/390. I reckon that is just a bit too hot. Might notch the 2 higher temps down a bit.

Does anybody have suggestions for maintenance? I remember reading about beeswax and tung oil and sandpaper... bit can't find the details.... perhaps should have looked *before* I picked up the firewood.

Really love this vape. It feels more rustic than artisanal, but its elegant, easy to use and performs like an absolute champ. A winning combination for me. Even the UI is super easy to get used to.

If anything I'd be up for 6mm or so off the mouthpiece length so that it doesn't stick up out of the body when retracted. And perhaps a bit more grip on that mouthpiece stem, feels just a bit too slippy for my liking.
Thanks, I'll give those a try!

TangibleHangnail

I've started holding the button on my FW7 down continuously at 400°F when using a POTV dosing capsule, and it works very well. Eventually it buzzes and turns off, which isn't described in the manual. Is this simply a timer, or is it an over-temperature shutoff? I don't want to damage it of course

TangibleHangnail,

EarthworldTim

I've started holding the button on my FW7 down continuously at 400°F when using a POTV dosing capsule, and it works very well. Eventually it buzzes and turns off, which isn't described in the manual. Is this simply a timer, or is it an over-temperature shutoff? I don't want to damage it of course
When you press the button it begins heating and buzzes when it reaches the set temp. Shouldn't stop heating until you let go of the button and buzzes again when it cools.

This is directly from the fw7 manual.

"Turn Heater On & Draw:
Hold the button down. The vaporizer will buzz quickly 1, 2, or 3 times to indicate the current preset as the heater starts to heat up. When it is close to the preset temperature it will buzz 1 time again to indicate that the vaporizer is ready for a draw. Continue to hold the button throughout the draw as the vaporizer will hold the temperature at the preset level. The heater turns off whenever the button is released and will buzz once shortly thereafter to indicate shutdown."

TangibleHangnail

Right, I think I explained that this is not the initial heat up buzz. It's after I've been holding it down continuously, for over a minute I'd guess. Have you tried that?

TangibleHangnail,

PossumMD

I think I explained that this is not the initial heat up buzz.
You did not, thanks for the additional info though cos that's a bit odd given I also hold mine down for the full extraction of the bowl, easily over a minute, and nothing on my end like what you're getting. And session mode exists, seems a bit pointless to have that if what you're describing is meant to happen.

MHL

Try hard noob
I'm not sure what you're describing is the "at temp" signal.

IIUC the "at temp" buzz should signal the heater arriving at the target temp, not the material. I'm not sure that the device would be aware of you having a capsule in the oven.

Also, to distinguish it from other signals, the "buzz once shortly thereafter to indicate shutdown" is not a normal buzz. It starts high and kind of tails off.

Shit Snacks

IIUC the "at temp" buzz should signal the heater arriving at the target temp, not the material. I'm not sure that the device would be aware of you having a capsule in the oven

The capsule is not really the material, the at temp buzz is designed to be an indicator for the material along with the heater, it doesn't just simply heat the coil, I think it accounts for that the coil is going to be heating the ceramic to extract the herb... So yes when there is a capsule in the oven, it needs to be heated up as well, that is extra metal mass starting off cold that needs to be heated along with everything else, so it would be slower to heat initially, aware or not?

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Mine finally arrived. My stem does not retract fully either.

This thing hits hard, I am really liking it. And I find filling the bowl way easier than I anticipated. I like the flavor a lot too. Very happy I bought it!!!
How far does yours stick out? My FW9 stem sticks out like 1-2mm when fully retracted, wondering if they changed how the newer stems are made to make them a little longer?

Top Bottom