TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Answered all my questions too. Great informative vid from Pete.
Looking likely I'll be picking up an armored cap once they get to my local retailer.
Should be more reviews out by then to.

TheThriftDrifter,
Reactions: cybrguy

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Of course I'll find out after I have it, but I'm thinking that since I do a half bowl, I am unlikely to be able to get four hits, but I think I am likely to be able to get two good hits and exhaust the bowl without heating again. That should work well.

Oy. I see now after reading around that this new cap is a collab with Darth Vader. If I had known I might have held off. Glad I didn't know...

Last edited:

Xclerk

The Universe is our endless supply
Armored cap usage vid from Sneakypete.

Idk seems like he was heating super low and super hot to get the results he got. Yeh not sure of getting the digger outer glowing that hot is good. I was more excited for the cap before i realized its just a captive cap shoved into a shell. First looks gave the impression of a clicker divited into the new cap but this is just another fancy sleeve. Dont get me wrong, i ordered one. I did question the material selection box on the site where you order as if other options will be avail in the future.

Xclerk,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
That red glowing metal concerns me
almost 1m to get up to temp seeesh ... i'll wait for unbiased reviews.
Sneaky Pete was doing something in that vid I am unlikely to do. Trying to get 4 hits on a full bowl is asking more that I will need from it.
However, the 12mm width will likely make it unusable with my JarHead and probably my PSM, so if I want to use it with an IH I would probably need a new one, which isn't likely unless the Sense comes out at a miraculously low price. Good thing I like the torch.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The only thing that concerns me about the hot metal is the fact that you have to heat 'digger' to start with. Digger is a big heat-sink otherwise. Seems a set backwards.
I suspect that is only when trying to get the most heat possible. Using it normally I would think heating the middle of the cap may be enough. And it will probably heat faster when spinning it which I have never found a problem, tho I get not everyone has the dexterity to do that easily.
Of course I am just guessing until my cap arrives.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Or the IH. I have noticed that digger always got hotter than the rest of the cap in an IH. That is what scorched my wooden sleeves in my IHs. What that does mean is that digger on the armored cap will take heat away from the chamber.

What George accomplished was to get 'clicker' out of the vape path. This is a very good thing in any book. I might have left digger on the cap and made the armored sleeve flat across the opening. It would be more efficient.

OCDeeeznuts

Or the IH. I have noticed that digger always got hotter than the rest of the cap in an IH. That is what scorched my wooden sleeves in my IHs. What that does mean is that digger on the armored cap will take heat away from the chamber.

What George accomplished was to get 'clicker' out of the vape path. This is a very good thing in any book. I might have left digger on the cap and made the armored sleeve flat across the opening. It would be more efficient.
I wish the clicker was out of the vapor path. It’s the same as before.

OCDeeeznuts,

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I’m confused by some of these comments. Can someone clarify if the armored cap is a full stainless steel cap, or just sort of a “sheath” that a regular cap fits into?

Probably too early for comparisons to the fmj, but if anyone has both I’d be curious on that too. I don’t have dexterity issues, but having to spin a small m is kind of a pain and this seems like it might make sharing easier—just hear and let friends have at to kill a bowl sort of deal vs needing to reheat for them in between.

condition

Well, the EU site didn't ship my order yet. I don't know if they have availability already, as in the past they shipped my orders within 24 hours

condition,

OCDeeeznuts

but how? is there solder or anything to bind the inside cap to the outer armor, for better heat transfer? or is it like installing a CPU cooler without the paste?
No paste that I’m aware of. I think just close tolerances. The aspects that locks them together permanently would be that the outer cap is creased at the top at same same place where the inner cap is creased to hold the discs…likewise with the “Captive indents” , causing the two surfaces to key into place. Making it unable to slide apart. There could also be some kind of welding where the indentations are? I haven’t studied one in person. Just speculating.

Petetbay

Sneaky Pete does a interview Q&A with George on the Armored cap.

Petetbay

George said at TeaTime that the clicker now has a visible indicator with the clicker visible as a new click indicator. I must have misunderstood that. Do you already have one of these armored caps @holdentrout ?
I don’t think there’s a visual indicator, just new as they had to determine the right temp. I’d like to see a low temp Armored cap to allow you to adjust the start time without going too hot, will see when I get it if that might be a thing. :2c:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I haven't watched the whole Q and A above yet, but I started it and apparently George went this way using steel so one could still use IH tech. It would be ironic if the number of IH devices able to work with the caps was low due to the bigger size of the new caps.

If the tolerance is close and there is little extra room I would worry about the cap coming off in the receiver. I guess we'll have to see when mine comes..

Last edited:

Petetbay

It would be ironic if the number of IH devices able to work with the caps was low due to the bigger size of the new caps...
The Orion is only IH that I heard doesn’t fit the Armored cap and I believe it is history.

Petetbay,
Top Bottom