• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

My_50p_worth

If your caps combust while heating you're going too far.

Do they actually *combust*? I doubt that. Anyway, cleaning those kind of residues with a toothbrush and some toothpaste removes it entirely.

Oooohkay. Interesting.
I think I can see the argument he’s trying to make.

If you’re already riding the line then the cap does indeed get heated to combustion temp, as it gets to a slightly higher temp than the bowl which it is passing heat to.

I suppose the question is exactly the one you posed, do the substances on the cap “combust” and does this enter the air path? I’m like you, not so sure.

Either way we can all agree it’s way less damaging than full combustion and inhalation of the burning material

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@My_50p_worth – But isn't that the case with any kind of vaporizer? The temperature of a heating element never equals to the temperature of the bowl. A typical vaporizer will have for example a coil or a ceramic heater that typically is much hotter than the goal temp of the heated chamber.

If I remember correctly @Abysmal Vapor also uses a Tinymight which uses a massive metal ribbon that gets heated far beyond combustion temp (of weed that is) and that sits directly in the air path.

And @ residue & combustion: that is indeed something we should take care of, even if we don't know how harmful they actually are. But it's easy to get rid of and not an argument against the Dynavap at all. Pretty much any vaporizer needs mindful cleaning from time to time.

My_50p_worth

But isn't that the case with any kind of vaporizer? The temperature of a heating element never equals to the temperature of the bowl. A typical vaporizer will have for example a coil or a ceramic heater that typically is much hotter than the goal temp of the heated chamber.
Absolutely is yes.

I think the DV cap is unique in that it is somewhat in contact with the heated material and picks up residue. Most heating elements are either heating the air which then passes over the herb, or say the Vapman for example you directly heat the bowl so those residues don’t have a chance to hit combustion temp else the load will combust.

It’s all very interesting to think about, I love this kind of stuff

I personally wouldn’t count the tinymight, as that ribbon doesn’t pick up residues and merely heats the air before it hits the material which is fairly high above it. It’s not a great vape for my own personal tastes but I’d still argue it’s one of the “healthiest” out there.

I’m thinking now, what other vapes have a heating element that picks up residue AND goes higher than vaping temp?

My_50p_worth,
Reactions: bask

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
If your caps combust while heating you're going too far.
Do they actually *combust*? I doubt that. Anyway, cleaning those kind of residues with a toothbrush and some toothpaste removes it entirely.
Oooohkay. Interesting.
You can imagine it is user error,but it is the anatomy of the vape itself. I am never going too far, as mentioned i am super sensitive and careful.Mostly using IH,but when using torch ,i am using a microscopic flame.
It is your right to express doubt and also make peace of mind. In the end probably even smoking is not that harmful,i just have the princes and the pea syndrome and it totally spoils my experience,by spoiling the taste. Also just me being 15 years into vaporizing and trying to get things to next level for me.
Interesting or not, there is vast variation in sharpness of people's senses. If you have normal to dull senses,it is hard to imagine someone is feeling more or detecting smaller things than you are.
TM coil never goes to over 300 C pretty sure of it which is still a combustion temp,but nothing compared to what is a 1200C torch,also i use it only inverted and take extra precautions to keep my ribbon coil clean. I am used to using all glass vapes for years that have no heating elements and when you hit the right temp,i can clearly say this is as good as flavor gets ... Once you get your standard up there you start to notice differences. If you are coming from plastic vapes and metal heaters i am sure it is hard to understand the scale of difference.
To be honest i am using my TM mostly 2-3 times a month,to me it is harsher on my lungs and not as good in flavor as my other vapes. I am using my all glass electric DIYs that have nothing but one small ss screen in the airpath. When the heater is small it needs to run on hotter temps to compensate.In my case the heater itself is so massive that the temp between the heater and the bowl is just 10-15 degrees difference,you dont always have to run the heater to combustion temps ;).If you like you can hit me on a PM ,i will explain it to you,as i dont want to get into OT here.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
You can imagine it is user error [...]
I was joking, you made it sound as if the cap itself would combust. :-)

So if it's only / mainly about taste, then yeah – those polymerized stuff on the cap does definitely affect the flavor and depending on the type of usage it can actually build up fast. And to be perfectly fair: cleaning the tip and cap is not exactly the norm yet when I look at some pictures. But it should be, even if it's only for a better flavor. I brush my tips about every week, takes only 5 minutes and actually makes it like new. Caps can be cleaned by using baking soda and hot water (careful, though). It's super simple and makes a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure actual smoke is pretty harmful not only for princes on a pea. Just saying. :-)

Abysmal Vapor

So if it's only / mainly about taste, then yeah – those polymerized stuff on the cap does definitely affect the flavor and depending on the type of usage it can actually build up fast. And to be perfectly fair: cleaning the tip and cap is not exactly the norm yet when I look at some pictures. But it should be, even if it's only for a better flavor. I brush my tips about every week, takes only 5 minutes and actually makes it like new. Caps can be cleaned by using baking soda and hot water (careful, though). It's super simple and makes a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure actual smoke is pretty harmful not only for princes on a pea. Just saying. :-)
Have you tried vaping in the dark,there is definetly a faint red glow for a fraction of a second that lingers after you stop heating ,even with the smallest flame.
One good technique to avoid that is by distancing the flame itself from the cap and use the hot air stream in for of it :).
Senses can really be trained , my dentists,who is also a facial surgeon in the ER for decades, shared that when he is working on someone he can almost guess the strain of infection by the smell,(puke) ..

1bl4196qnz511.png

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: Siebter

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Yeah, I heard dogs can be trained to sense infections pretty reliably.

When I use a torch (which is not that often) I always make sure to barely tickle the cap with the flame, I also prefer a small flame. For the most part I use my temp controlled Mag Heater, though, and that *does* make a difference because it's able to hover around a set temp, so even when I heat soak the tip, it will never overshoot temperatures (within the chamber, of course, I see you are referring to the temp at the outside of the cap – I will test if I can see an afterglow in the dark, I *did* see it when using a torch). It's less „riding the dragon” compared to heating beyond the click etc. Would be interesting to see if it would make a difference for you too.

Siebter,

Demonic chronic

Chronic Connoisseur. Butane power✊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇺🇦

Cleaning tip is not the norm is it not. Every single day I completely disassemble my dynavap I’m using at the time and full iso clean and rinse, same with my bong. Aye am aware it’s over the top, just like to be clean:rofl:, and the cap just gets a wipe now and again with a q tip, mine doesn’t really get that dirty.

Smokey McVape

@Smokey McVape

Without trying to blow my own trumpet (apparently you need to remove ribs for that) I’m a pretty accomplished torch user as well as IH. Yet for some reason these 5 fin tips absolutely hate me. I don’t think I’ve ever got a full even roast from one, I’ve been through a few of them now and it’s always the same. Every other tip and cap I’ve tried, I can get it to do what I want if I’m given a few days to learn the quirks of said setup. Got any tips?
The last pieces of the puzzle for me was speed of rotation and rotating technique. Rotating too slowly often leads to hot spots, uneven heating and combustion. Rotate as fast as you can.
I rotate my DV 360 degrees continuously when heating but not everyone has the dexterity to do the same. If you can then use this technique exclusively.
Final tip is that I never let the flame directly contact the cap, always just above it.
I only use standard caps.

Demonic chronic

I’ve never had a problem with the old 5 fin ti myself (had uneven heating with an IH tho, but not with a torch), much prefer it to ss.

My_50p_worth

Cleaning tip is not the norm is it not. Every single day I completely disassemble my dynavap I’m using at the time and full iso clean and rinse, same with my bong. Aye am aware it’s over the top, just like to be clean:rofl:, and the cap just gets a wipe now and again with a q tip, mine doesn’t really get that dirty.
Oh man you’d love my setups then :rofl:

I don’t clean them until the buildup starts affecting airflow or coming out the MP, it’s nasty I know. Think my Anvil has had nearly half a Z through it since the last clean hahah

@Smokey McVape thanks for the advice man! Next time I’m around one of them I’ll try your technique and see how I go. I’d love to master the old 5 fin as it’s a classic

Demonic chronic

Yeah man it’s definitely not helping convert my smoking friends seeing my vapes glued together with resin and reeking :rofl:
ive never been able to convert any of my friends to vaping, they all smoke joints with tobacco, fucking disgusting bastards:puke:

Demonic chronic,

Farid

@Abysmal Vapor I understand your sentiment, I avoid touching my tip all together. But the same can be said for nearly every vaporizer. Crumbs falling out and touching the bottom of the solo oven for instance, or falling through and touching the coil in any number of convection vapes. Disassemble most vapes and you'll find this to be the case.

I am certainly more anal about cleaning than my friends, and most of the time will not hit their vapes because of this. I use iso soaked q tips on the entire vape (including outside the tip) on a weekly basis. Most of the time I barley get any residue on there because I make a point not to touch it. Just like with touching ecig coils, I am aware how vile finger oil is. I also don't touch my bud for this reason. But the Dynavap is hardly any different from literally every single "stem" portable I've used in this regard. It most certainly does not mean that the DV is not a true vaporizer. That should be reserved for vaporizers that actually combust the load.

Farid,
Reactions: bask

Abysmal Vapor

@Abysmal Vapor I understand your sentiment, I avoid touching my tip all together. But the same can be said for nearly every vaporizer. Crumbs falling out and touching the bottom of the solo oven for instance, or falling through and touching the coil in any number of convection vapes. Disassemble most vapes and you'll find this to be the case.

I am certainly more anal about cleaning than my friends, and most of the time will not hit their vapes because of this. I use iso soaked q tips on the entire vape (including outside the tip) on a weekly basis. Most of the time I barley get any residue on there because I make a point not to touch it. Just like with touching ecig coils, I am aware how vile finger oil is. I also don't touch my bud for this reason. But the Dynavap is hardly any different from literally every single "stem" portable I've used in this regard. It most certainly does not mean that the DV is not a true vaporizer. That should be reserved for vaporizers that actually combust the load.
Yeah,that's why i dont use vapes in scenarios where crumbs fall onto the heater. I have designed my own to avoid that scenario,i have even secured a filtered intake.:) I know bothering about stuff like that could totaly spoil the experience of some people,but it is just the way i have picked and i am gonna walk it . It is an impossible statistics to make,but i suspect that mortality rate in people being too careful and being careless is pretty close :). Please take a note that i am not doing it that much out of health concern,but in pursue to the ultimate purist experience. I am a guy to who 99% is a lot more than 95%. I have dedicated a lot of thoughts on the anatomy of vapes and how to keep things clean,have owned ,dissasembled and created multiple units. IMO most vaporizer concepts are doomed,because they get dirty and/or cleaning is not possible. At least in that department DV is much better than many,except for the part behind the thermostatic disc.. Thinking about it more, it is probably one of the reasons people find Taffe Bowle to taste good,compared to others,well maybe it is because gravity doesnt lead stuff onto the heater. Vaporizer who cannot be a subject to deep cleaning for me is the same as having integrated battery..Experience will degrade with time and stuff will end in the bin. Fuck vapes like that,they will be one huge part of the landfill in the future ,that is for sure.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

British slang for fractions of an ounce

Z - ounce

Half Z - half ounce

Q - quarter ounce

Henry/Hen - 8th of an ounce - as in Henry the 8th (I love this one)
And American. "Z" is for "Oz", the abbreviation for Ounce. "Lid" is allegedly the amount of pot that would fit on a coffee can lid, but we knew it as a light four-finger ounce. "That's an ounce? It looks like a lid." Some people sold lids as well as ozs, and halfs. Shit was crazy! Eventually we all insisted our ounces be weighed by the gram. It was like the railroads coming together on a standard gauge.

Top Bottom