IntoTheVoid

Pride Goeth Before A Fall
Thanks ITV for the review!

The website indicates that the Silo has two O rings to seal each compartment. Is it possible that they were not placed on your unit by mistake?

Do you think your herb compartment will continue to flake the paint or coating with use?

I love the concept of the Silo but would like these issues resolved before I consider ordering one.

PS: Thanks for your service in the military.
It is possible they just forgot o-rings for mine. I got it from vapenorth which is my go to for my vape stuff. I’m sure they sent me exactly what they received so it wasn’t their fault.

As far as the paint, I did a pretty extensive cleaning with hot water, soap, and then ISO and did it a few times. I dunno if it will continue but the black stopped coming off onto the paper towel after a bunch of wipes. Time will tell.

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
I must be the only VC user who has trouble getting the chamber hot enough to clear a .03 load in 1 or 2 hits. Only way for me to do that is to 'cheat' by heating 2 seconds past the click but I almost never do that. This is with a dual flame torch and Ti tip.

Try preheating the tip stopping before the clicks, wait 10-15 seconds then heat it again going not more than a couple of seconds past the clicks. This is how I use my Omni through the water and I can easily spend a load in a single hit.

Boden

Aspie polymath
Boden you win. I give up, it's "Magic". Give me a good theory on how it works.
I just retired from a fifteen year stint in manufacturing and metalurgic field. I don't have a degree, just practical experience. I do know how to connect a fifty foot long sintering furnace to a computer so I can control it from anywhere in the world.
If you have a better idea how it works I would like to hear it. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I really want to know. Doc

I’m not trying to win. Just pointing out the drop in pressure in the cavity of the Vap is a relatively minor factor.

(This is a general estimate based on my use. Different heating technique would shift these numbers a bit.)
How it works seems pretty simple. You heat the cap and bowl to ~420*F (guess based on how close to combustion it seems to get). The load temp lags behind. Then the snap disk pops, heat input stops and the load temp starts to catch up with the metal temp. Then the load is flushed with hot air. Not a lot of linger time so I’d guess the air temp is around 380*F as it exits the spiral and enters the chamber. The load temp in the center seems to plateau at around 400*F before it starts cooling.

This is kinda a double whammy. A conduction cycle followed by a convection cycle.

Dynalowrider

Say a container has 1500 trillion molecules in a space of one cubic millimeter at atmospheric pressure. If you remove 1200 trillion molecules from the container by suction, then you have a vacuum in the container, right?
According to Pascal's Theory, pressure or the vacuum is equal throughout the container. The container in this case is smaller than a b-b. The suction device, (in this case the mouth), is larger than the container so you are pulling on a smaller area with a larger area. Like a hydraulic jack in reverse. Doc

ataxian, Wikipedia explains all. Doc
Just don't confuse it with his wager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Helios

@LabPong I was using a 6in. bubbler which I have been using for a few years actually was a goto for portability and no fuss hits, perhaps something inline to this size (22.5 cm), There are a few pieces on here other people posted which look decent enough for an everyday tool. Local headshop is too pricey for what they sell.

Dynalowrider

The only thing that convection and conduction has to do with this is "how the herb gets heated", hot air or hot metal. We are talking boiling points, which can be controlled by pressure.
My theory is the herb doesn't reach vaporization temperature every time, we just raise and lower the pressure, thereby raising and lowering the boiling point.
You have to admit you get more vapor the harder you suck.
This brings to mind that there is no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks.:lol:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I think I've finalized my vaping stand/abv bin, or at least as much as I can do to this prototype. I added some two tone splines to the corners yesterday before the power went out. Thanks to @Hogni for suggesting that I bring the two ideas together.

Since I started using a wooden stand for my Vapcaps I've noticed that I don't really have a use for a magnet besides holding the cap while loading. The cap never seems to be hot enough that I have to use a magnet to check the load. When I'm using herb the magnet doesn't make much sense either since part of the load will fall into the cap on the magnet or fall out onto my desk. The holes in the wood make loading concentrates a much easier task than balancing the vapcap on its mouth piece. The cool down is slightly slower but I don't see that as a negative since it lets any hot condensates flow down into the vapourization chamber again.

za64Ehk.jpg

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Say a container has 1500 trillion molecules in a space of one cubic millimeter at atmospheric pressure. If you remove 1200 trillion molecules from the container by suction, then you have a vacuum in the container, right?
According to Pascal's Theory, pressure or the vacuum is equal throughout the container. The container in this case is smaller than a b-b. The suction device, (in this case the mouth), is larger than the container so you are pulling on a smaller area with a larger area. Like a hydraulic jack in reverse. Doc

ataxian, Wikipedia explains all. Doc
Just don't confuse it with his wager.
That was my problem!
I am in a study of PHILOSOPHY and I thought you were talking about WAGER?

VACUUM was science we used for our benefit while building MANUFACTURING overseas.

Excuse my rudeness!

I need a "M" break. (LOVE THIS THING)

VAP CAP = CIVILIZED

LabPong

@LabPong I was using a 6in. bubbler which I have been using for a few years actually was a goto for portability and no fuss hits, perhaps something inline to this size (22.5 cm), There are a few pieces on here other people posted which look decent enough for an everyday tool. Local headshop is too pricey for what they sell.

Ok, then I would suggest 2 possible choices that work very well.

1. bigger one. Go with the industry standard D020-D
(this is in my top 2 fav's. They just are a great size and perform so good).

2. small. This mini has good perc action
(notice the perk on this little guy..there are lots of small ones on dhgate that look like this or variants of this one. Some have a more shower head looking perc....but those ones do not work as well as this one. This one only has 4 little exit holes off the end of the down tube...and that works well for good action and smooth draws).

Last edited:

asdf420

tried a "gravity bong" but it didn't seem to be working so well. didn't seem like enough vacuum pressure, i dunno. and it was a 750mL bottle.. anyone use one regularly? maybe a "vape lung" is really better if the water isn't heavy enough to pull air hard enough

Hell to the no. I wish it was set a bit higher. I must be the only VC user who has trouble getting the chamber hot enough to clear a .03 load in 1 or 2 hits. Only way for me to do that is to 'cheat' by heating 2 seconds past the click but I almost never do that. This is with a dual flame torch and Ti tip. It feels rather strange being the only VC user on the planet who has never accidentally combusted.
If you want lower temps you can always stop heating and start your draw before the hot click occurs..

LOL I've been heating about 5 seconds past the click. have been using hemp wick though. The soot from it is super annoying.. need to get some butane or make an alcohol burner. Got some very good hits, haven't combusted from green but charred ABV.

so I guess the strength of the flame affects the temperature, maybe?

Last edited:

InterplanetaryTanner

Interplanetary Development
Manufacturer
My Silo from Interplanetary Designs arrived today. Nifty little case. I do prefer it to the plastic tubes that come with the DynaVap. The tip of the case holds a decent amount of material. I don’t have a scale to weigh it though, but enough for a day out for sure.

Two things if I may be so bold. They should put o-rings on the case to seal the inside for smell purposes. Also the inside needs a good cleaning. Lots of black finish came off upon cleaning. It’s stilll black on the inside so likely just extra finish material, but something to pay attention too, especially for the bud compartment. You don’t want that mixing with your herb.

Surely worth the price of admission however, just wanted to make those few observations.

@InterplanetaryTanner thoughts?

Here are some pics
https://imgur.com/a/ed52H

https://imgur.com/a/iXsU8

https://imgur.com/a/gj8da

https://imgur.com/a/VtAdm

They do have O-Rings. At least, they should. - It’s possible the one you have somehow got over looked, or its also possible that you just didn’t notice it. They blend in with the case VERY well.

Honestly, I don’t think the insides of the cases were anodized very well... So I’m sure the insides weren’t cleaned very well either... So I’m not too surprised by that. And that’s also why its always a good practice to wash things when you receive them. Lol

Helios

Ok, then I would suggest 2 possible choices that work very well.

1. bigger one. Go with the industry standard D020-D
(this is in my top 2 fav's. They just are a great size and perform so good).

2. small. This mini has good perc action
(notice the perk on this little guy..there are lots of small ones on dhgate that look like this or variants of this one. Some have a more shower head looking perc....but those ones do not work as well as this one. This one only has 4 little exit holes off the end of the down tube...and that works well for good action and smooth draws).

thanks for your help! I love the second one and yes I see exactly what you mean with the 4 extra holes, this one is in the cart. :tup: Happy New Year:party::cheers::spliff:

IntoTheVoid

Pride Goeth Before A Fall
They do have O-Rings. At least, they should. - It’s possible the one you have somehow got over looked, or its also possible that you just didn’t notice it. They blend in with the case VERY well.

Honestly, I don’t think the insides of the cases were anodized very well... So I’m sure the insides weren’t cleaned very well either... So I’m not too surprised by that. And that’s also why its always a good practice to wash things when you receive them. Lol
100% no orings in mine. The inside anodizing is bad, so yes it is important to clean. I contacted the re-seller who’s gonna replace it. No big deal.

InterplanetaryTanner

Interplanetary Development
Manufacturer
100% no orings in mine. The inside anodizing is bad, so yes it is important to clean. I contacted the re-seller who’s gonna replace it. No big deal.

Do you mind sending me a picture of the middle section?? So I can forward it to our contact at the factory about the missing o ring.

Top Bottom