vandalizedbythelotus

I was paying attention to the micro usb connection and felt the warmth that Pipes mentioned. Mine seemed to cool off right around an hour after plug in. Mine is tuned a bit more aggressive than my PSM. In no way a bad thing in my book. Iā€™m still ogling is small size. Are we destined for a stash with an integrated IH in the future? The Hotshot makes me feel like itā€™s not far off.

@stark1 it could be far worse šŸ˜‚ this clicks for you buddy!
i think the charger itself should reflect this as well. starts cooling off towards the end of the charge when it trickles.

purpletweed

Idle curiosity, why do some of you all think the induction heaters are so fantastic? For full disclosure I've not tried one, but I'm having a hard time imagining it doing much differently than a torch--its still a hybrid conduction/convection heater, it just might be better at getting all parts of the tip up to a consistent temp at the same time while a torch is relying on heat conduction.

I ask only because I'm curious--not attacking anyone's decisions to buy one. I think the Fluxer builds look fantastic, but I have no idea what options are out there. As a pet project I've toyed with the idea of building one on my own just to see if they are all that and a bag of chips.

I like having an IH around for kicking back; I sit with the IH next to me and can dip the DV into it whenever. Itā€™s nice to have that simple one-handed technique available. I also find that itā€™s better for using with others ā€” the torch pulls you out of an interaction a bit more, and the IH is less intimidating to beginners.

Cannabiker

Idle curiosity, why do some of you all think the induction heaters are so fantastic? For full disclosure I've not tried one, but I'm having a hard time imagining it doing much differently than a torch--its still a hybrid conduction/convection heater, it just might be better at getting all parts of the tip up to a consistent temp at the same time while a torch is relying on heat conduction.

I ask only because I'm curious--not attacking anyone's decisions to buy one. I think the Fluxer builds look fantastic, but I have no idea what options are out there. As a pet project I've toyed with the idea of building one on my own just to see if they are all that and a bag of chips.
Functionally, they're much more effective. They heat with the speed of a quad torch but the control of a single flame. They're amazingly consistent, cooking every load predictably.

But for me the bigger issues are the things I dislike about torches, which is pretty much everything. One of the things I love about vapnig is leaving behind the giant pile of Bic lighters I created over decades of combustion. It's not just disposable lighters, I'm also happy to get away from petroleum use whenever I can , especially fracking products like butane. And it takes a remarkable amount of butane to power a DV; small, portable torches need maddeningly frequent refills.

As many others have noted, there's also the crack-pipe optics of using a torch. I'm not shy about enjoying cannabis in outdoor public spaces, and vaping removes much of the shock value--unless you're blasting away with a tiny flame-thrower, intent as a junkie with a spoon. I can casually operate the IH with one hand, sipping my tea with the other. It's a genteel picture that doesn't raise eyebrows when I sit at the picnic table outside work.

Until I got the IH/DV combo, I'd never really bonded with any portable vape, even though I use them daily. I mean, how much emotional attachment can you develop for something as awkward as a Mighty?

Last edited:

msdt

I put my name on the list for HS, I cant figure out the wait time. Is it posted somewhere?

I prefer IH for the consistency and that it makes it a one hand process.

I picked up a low temp cap recently ($15 on Puffitup's winter sale).

I actually really like it! It made the session last way, way longer (I'm usually hitting a normal cap between 2 & 4 times). It took a little getting used to, as I think I prefer to go about 1s past the click with this one, but it's been fun so far!

I'm using it with an orion IH, FWIW.

Just wanted to leave my :2c:

Mowgli2

Has anyone tried using DC cleaner on their Dynavaps?

I went ahead and ordered some of the new Dynavap cleaning solution to try out... got me thinking maybe their is some other natural solutions that might do the same...

DC cleaner ( sometimes called Dark Crystal cleaner) is pretty common at brick and mortar shops that sell stuff for dabbing. Itā€™s meant for cleaning quartz bangers.

Maybe the question I should be asking is what products or chemicals to avoid if I am going to try to experiment with cleaning solutions.

I am aware I should NOT to soak the cap in ISO.
I am also aware ISO works great on all the other parts.
I am also aware that DC cleaner is considered by many to be overpriced.

Mowjo

I went ahead and ordered some of the new Dynavap cleaning solution to try out... got me thinking maybe their is some other natural solutions that might do the same...

DC cleaner ( sometimes called Dark Crystal cleaner) is pretty common at brick and mortar shops that sell stuff for dabbing. Itā€™s meant for cleaning quartz bangers.

Maybe the question I should be asking is what products or chemicals to avoid if I am going to try to experiment with cleaning solutions.

I've tried it but I am not a huge fan of it. This is my go to cleaning process and its only 5 steps. ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dynavap/comments/6t44ou

Mowjo,
Reactions: sag

Han Solo

Guess which vape I got just before joining
I put my name on the list for HS, I cant figure out the wait time. Is it posted somewhere?

I think the official timing is just "when Pipes gets to it", but I signed up last Monday at #78 and by the end of yesterday was #47, so that's 31 over the course of that week.

Again, though, this is a one person DIY operation, so I'd imagine it could easily speed up or slow down a bit.

Smokey McVape

Functionally, they're much more effective. They heat with the speed of a quad torch but the control of a single flame.
Except that unlike using a torch you have to stir the bud as IH's tend to only heat the bud touching the bowl, leaving the bud in the middle or towards the bottom green. The torch takes longer to heat up with but gives full extraction quicker than any IH that I own - PSM, Couldren, Orion and SideClick - and never needs to be stirred.

Cannabiker

Except that unlike using a torch you have to stir the bud as IH's tend to only heat the bud touching the bowl, leaving the bud in the middle or towards the bottom green. The torch takes longer to heat up with but gives full extraction quicker than any IH that I own - PSM, Couldren, Orion and SideClick - and never needs to be stirred.
I've only tried one IH, my Fluxer Flite, and I'm getting full extraction with no stir--definitely no green left. Mine is set up in the less aggressive configuration, with a 16mm coil on the cooler setting.

rvarick

I use Dark Crystal cleaner on my tips every few cleans or so, with ISO cleans in between. I find that it does a great job of getting off the hard to remove darker stains on the tips that have built up for awhile. It's also my go-to for glass stems, especially those with hard to reach nooks and crannies. I've also used it on the outside of my caps, but usually don't clean these at all. Be sure to heat the solution up per the instructions for maximum results.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@Cannabiker

I can totally see the mindset of the IH being a little less crack-pipey. I'm not saying it would work, but I'm thinking along the same lines as the Bowle (lets not digress into whether it works or not if its alright...maybe FC has been a little more civil, but it seems to have been argued ad nauseum on reddit) being designed to make consumption a little more socially acceptable: I'd feel a little more comfortable pulling out an IH at a family bbq.

> Functionally, they're much more effective. They heat with the speed of a quad torch but the control of a single flame. They're amazingly consistent, cooking every load predictably.

I'm curious about this bit, though. I've had my best experiences with my DV using a single flame torch, as it allows me to heat the tip for lower temp/tastier hits. Aside from not plunging the DV as deep into the IH to emulate the same (which seems just as inconsistent as the torch) aren't you basically emulating heating at the base with an induction heater? I mean, not really because heat is applied throughout, but hopefully you get my point--it seems like it would be more difficult to go after those lower temperature hits.

Regardless, lots of folks seem to dig them. I'm probably coming at this from a skewed perspective, as the woodscents was my introduction to the dynaverse. I was intending it to be my portable solution, and for my use cases the lighter is a lot easier than an IH + a lot of batteries. Down the road I'll have to give one a shot.

Farid

I felt the same way for a long time.

Tonight I just used my hotshot for the first time. I've got very good torch technique, so I never felt the need to get an IH. After my first hit, I thought to myself "how could I have waited this long".

With torches I always preferred the TI tips over the SS. I always felt the SS needed a warmup heat cycle where the TI I could finish a small bowl on the first heat cycle.

With the IH I'm finding I can get much better performance with the SS tips than I got with a torch. The vapor pours out on the first hit. I suspect it has something to do with the torch heating from the outside in, and the lag in time it takes for the transfer of heat from the cap to the tip.

I've only tried it once so far so take this all with a huge grain of salt.

Cannabiker

Aside from not plunging the DV as deep into the IH to emulate the same (which seems just as inconsistent as the torch) aren't you basically emulating heating at the base with an induction heater?
Yeah, I probably didn't choose my words carefully enough when I said it has as much control as a single flame. Obviously you have more control with fire--you could heat up just one side with a torch, if for some reason you wanted to do that.

With an IH, as you note, you have control with height. If you find that you prefer it heated higher on the cap, you can install spacers in the bottom of the tube for a consistently shallower insert. You can also slow the heating down either with PWM or just by cycling it on and off (which is basically what PWM does).

I have to admit I haven't really experimented much. There are ways to control an IH's heating profile, but I don't feel like I need to. My Fluxer provides predictable, toasty-brown extraction just by minding the click.

vandalizedbythelotus

@Smokey McVape - Doesn't that suggest that the IH should be less aggressive to correct this heating issue?
@Smokey McVape this! dynavap being mostly conduction time matters for proper heat transfer between cap/bowl/chamber. same as cooking food if it's heating too fast you get burned crust with raw middle. i would try extending induction heating by pulsing (2s on / 1s off, experiment) to come closer or match the longer heat up of the torch and then compare extraction results.

in the end caps/tips have a fair amount of variation one naturally adjusts for with torch technique and DV tuned IH tech is still in it's infancy. IH's (except fluxer/magheater) are like a fixed system overlaid on a variable one so technique is required for fine tuning.

i would be pissed with IH's too if they made me stir *shudder* ... but i swear they can perform on par with torch heating albeit with slightly less toasty aroma, which some of us actually consider a benefit.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
A torch can cause combustion, and so can an IH. This means if you have a ā€œtunableā€ IH, like a Fluxer Deluxe, you can make small coil adjustments, and as was mentioned above, spacers offer some additional customization. So you can find your sweet spot from tasty to toast. Originally, I was looking for FAST click times, 5-6 seconds, but recently raised my coil a millimeter or so, and now my click is 6-7 seconds, darker roast. Since I felt my adjustment was a bit too much, I added a single layer of silicone padding, to get exactly where I wanted it.

Personally, I stay away from Chinese clones of electronic products when I can. They tend to cut too many corners on components, and since they donā€™t have to conform to any safety standards, Iā€™m seldom secure about them. YMMV!

If you have nothing to do, for fun and knowledge, google the difference between the small Apple brand 1amp USB charger that used to come with every iPhone, versus the cheap Chinese knockoffs. People assume they are being ripped off by the Apple price, and Iā€™m sure itā€™s inflated, but if you find a good comparison and tear down, youā€™ll be a changed person.....

If I didnā€™t own a hand made Fluxer, Iā€™d buy from Pipes.

Smokey McVape

@Smokey McVape - Doesn't that suggest that the IH should be less aggressive to correct this heating issue?
I don't think that is the issue. The vapcap was designed to be used with a torch, and the slower, rotational method of heating with a torch allows the heat to permeate through the bud more than an IH, giving in my experience bigger clouds and quicker (less heat cycles) extraction.
My most aggressive IH is the Orion which I find runs too hot for my liking and scorches loads on the outside meaning that even if you stir the load it tastes bad and my least aggressive is my 3year old PSM which runs much cooler without the scorching but that takes 7-8 heat cycles to extract a full bowl with stirring.
I love my induction heaters (except the Orion) and use them more than torches because they are easier to use and I really like the more flavourful hits they produce, I just haven't found one yet that extracts better than a torch but your experience may differ.

Top Bottom