gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Hey folks,

I’m pretty new to herb vapes and the DV ecosystem. After doing some research here and elsewhere I ended up getting a Woodscents. If you’re unfamiliar it’s a log vaporizer that works with DV tips and includes a full DV with essentially a custom stem (ti tip and ccd, ti condenser, and Ed’s stem—I believe functionally they’re identical to https://edstnt.com/collections/dynavap-vaporizer/products/eds-dynavap-cocobolo-complete-vaporizer

For what it costs, I’m incredibly impressed with the DV. Three questions I was hoping you could help me sort that I didn’t specifically see in the “best of” thread:

1) Do you all have an easy way to remove and reinstall the ccd? I popped it out last night to put it in the smallest slot (bit of a light weight) and it was pretty tedious trying to get it back in. I ended up sandwiching it between a couple of wooden dowels that came in the Woodscents kit and carefully pushing the fins into position while keeping the center at the level I wanted with another dowel. This worked, but it seemed like I bent the ccd a bit. It’s still functional but triggers my latent ocd 🙂.

2) One area where the log base really beats the Vapcap + torch is consistent lower temp hits. I can set the temperature pretty low, pop the stem on, and last night I kept sipping along on a small bowl at ~a 7 on the stock heater. This was gentle on my throat and offered a fantastic taste beyond the first hit, though (I think inevitably) it degraded after a few.

In my brief experiences with the DV, I can mimic that for the first hit or two: I picked up a single jet torch and heating towards the crimp of the tip gives a tasty low temp hit. However, after that initial bit it seems I only get vapor for another hit or two tops with the torch at the tip—I have to move the heat down the tip after to keep producing noticeable vapor. I figured this being my portable solutions there might be some compromises and if that’s the case I’m still really impressed with the set up, but I figured I’d see if some users with a lot of dv experience have any tips and tricks (ideally that aren’t dependent on an induction heater—maybe down the road, but for now the log covers me at home and I’m not inclined to get an ih just for on the go use). Can I just keep torching the tip until my abv is dark gold and trust that even if I don’t feel/see vapor when exhaling eventually I’ll “feel” the effects kick in?

3) I’m thinking about buying a second dv so that I don’t have to worry about beating up the wood on the go (or just to avoid adjusting the ccd lol—keep it closest to the tip for use with a torch and as deep as it will go with the log, as there’s not much space for material + the WS heater with the ccd close to the tip). If I did end up getting another, I’m not really clear how the carb works or what third party options are worth exploring? Regarding the carb, the condenser I have is I believe a ti xl. There’s no inlet for air, so would air from the carb just enter where the tip meets the condenser or is there usually a cut out or something in the condenser for air to enter? Regarding third party bodies, just curious what’s out there and if they affect performance (cooler vapor or larger rips which isn’t necessarily what I’m chasing, but maybe an option with a small load) or are more aesthetics? For example, Simrell’s marketing suggests that their condenser + stem will improve cooling somehow.

I apologies for the wall of text. Let me know if I can clarify, and tia for any tips!

Showerhead

I received the new titanium tip (on the left) that I ordered and noticed that the new model has a different grooves pattern and that the grooves are not as deep as the old titanium tip, after comparing them I would say the old tip has a superior airflow.

Is it possible the new tip is defective or it just sucks?

notams

toke down Babylon
I received the new titanium tip (on the left) that I ordered and noticed that the new model has a different grooves pattern and that the grooves are not as deep as the old titanium tip, after comparing them I would say the old tip has a superior airflow.

Is it possible the new tip is defective or it just sucks?
Yeah dude that definitely doesn't look good. Those grooves are so shallow they're almost worthless.

I think comparing one tip to to another is just an exercise in futility because there are so many personal factors of what is "good". So, standing on its own merit that tip looks like like crap. Sorry. That sucks. Brand new? Damn.

notams,

StringTheorista

@gordantreeman a few thoughts. When you use your DV stem on the woodscents log, you’re getting a full convection vapor experience, which many folks find is the best for flavor. When you hear with a torch it becomes a mostly conduction vapor, which is a bit different. Secondly, you might enjoy a low temp cap to get more of those tasty tokes when using a torch. Third, it’s not really necessary, in my experience, to move the CCD; you can just load less, and it will extract as well, in a half filled bowl. Fourth, there are some great videos to explain how the airport (carb) works to pull vapor through the tip. Those are worth your time.

Showerhead

Yeah dude that definitely doesn't look good. Those grooves are so shallow they're almost worthless.

I think comparing one tip to to another is just an exercise in futility because there are so many personal factors of what is "good". So, standing on its own merit that tip looks like like crap. Sorry. That sucks. Brand new? Damn.
Yeah, bummer.
I sent Dynavap the pics and got this reply

I have to admit, as much as I love my Omnivong, 2 out of total 3 orders came with a defect, feels like I'm rolling the dice every time I'm ordering something from their site, I just wish they had better quality control

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I had one regular 5-fin titanium tip from last year, ordered a 2nd regular one a few weeks before the free 7-fin tip offer, so I now have a total of three. They all look identical on the grove end, like your photo on the right.

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
Some one else recently posted this discovery which led me to examine 3 titanium tips I purchased before the holidays from Dynavap. All three have the identical shallow groves you see here on the right. ?? My opinion, I don’t like them as much.
DCA0D097-BA25-45B4-AB08-1012D3240C13.jpeg

RustyOldNail

Some one else recently posted this discovery which led me to examine 3 titanium tips I purchased before the holidays from Dynavap. All three have the identical shallow groves you see here on the right. ?? My opinion, I don’t like them as much.
View attachment 5750

All three (2) regular 5-fin & (1) “free recent” 7-fin, look like your photo on the right. Maybe time to break out the Mitutoyo calipers ... Hard to tell from any online photos.

RustyOldNail,

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
90CC4E7A-5FAF-4522-9043-DFF1A5E4FD0E.jpeg
Well damn. Now that I’m looking, my 7 fins are cut shallow too. Its funny I hadn’t noticed this. I’ll admit I’ve been enjoying the 7 fin... for whatever reason. I retract my statement on not like the the new shallow cut titanium tip. It’s just the 2020 cap I don’t like. If I throw a 2018 or 2019 cap on all is good.

RustyOldNail

View attachment 5751
Well damn. Now that I’m looking, my 7 fins are cut shallow too. Its funny I hadn’t noticed this. I’ll admit I’ve been enjoying the 7 fin... for whatever reason. I retract my statement on not like the the new shallow cut titanium tip. It’s just the 2020 cap I don’t like. If I throw a 2018 or 2019 cap on all is good.

The shallow ones look wider, maybe they pass the same amount of air?

RustyOldNail,

Showerhead

View attachment 5751
Isolate all the variables and try to draw (without weed or anything) air with all 3 tips and the same cap (no need for stem) and tell me which one feels better airflow wise.

Showerhead,

vandalizedbythelotus

The shallow ones look wider, maybe they pass the same amount of air?

My thought too.
unfortunately they do not. the shallow wider grooves make for a noticeably more restricted flow. this seems to be the new intended design. i was somewhat able to compensate this with a new 2020 cap which seems to be a bit larger ID than previous gen caps.

edit1 dynavap CS asking the customer to return a visibly inferior tip (to check, as if this is the 1st time they see this issue) is just adding insult to injury.

edit2 on the other hand they made this possible so criticizing them feels very conflicting ... "dynavap, we make complaining a hard job"

Last edited:

GoldenBud

these clouds are dedicated to @Siebter and @Abysmal Vapor thanks guys ALOT I stopped drinking milk yesterday AND cleaned my SS-tip to new condition with a brush, my most enjoyable session with my wooden Aezhenn stem. i KNEW that something is wrong with my DV but didn't think about the blackish soot from the OUTSIDE matters about the inner air path. anyways... take a brush, take abit amount of your time, go clean em'!
my health is much better now!
thanks @Vitolo @Alexis too really great tips that I will consider..firstable chillin clouds ;)

vandalizedbythelotus

So is the theory that George is lying about whether dynavap has changed the titanium tips? And why do we think he would? Seems like poor business to do that. And out of character...
i just want to be clear about the issue and get a straight answer. is this change intended or are those faulty tips?

they make small changes all the time we already know that. but apparently new TI tips including the recent 7fins have shallow grooves, this logically(visibly) results is more restricted airflow, unless mitigated with a wider (captive) cap. tip airflow has a significant impact on performance (vapor production) when airport flow balance is in play.

results from personal testing but ofc it's just my word however should be pretty obvious i (and others with the same feedback) have no reason to lie.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@StringTheorista

Thanks for the info. I figured there would be some compromises with the torch vs the log heater. I’m okay with that as this is just my on-the-go solution. I’m just trying to maximize quality with it.

I had similar experiences with the ccd in at the deepest level. I figured I’d try the shallowest for a smaller dose: I don’t pack anywhere near full when the ccd is at the deepest position, but I still probably get ~6 hits with what I had (2 or so at the tip, 2 at the middle, and 2 at the end).

I appreciate the videos explaining the airport—it functions more or less as I thought (air enters the vape stream where the condenser meets the tip), but not at all as a carb. Those videos suggest it has an effect on vapor flow and heat transfer. Maybe if there’s a good 420 sale I’ll pick up an m: I’m trying to avoid vas until I can concretely identify things my current set up is missing or not performing well on so I’m not purchasing and selling my way through a bunch of different vapes. However, the m would let me try the air flow, have a rugged portable (not that the wood is especially fragile), and as a nice bonus in the covid era give me something I could hand to friends on the go or with the Woodscents*, while also being a lot easier to disinfect.

*in theory, anyway. Dynavap also makes the air path (ti cylinder + ccd that the vapcap fits over) for the WS, and it seems they don’t have very good machining tolerances. My tip + heater are an extremely tight fit, enough that thermal expansion causes them to lock up. The maker of the WS is helping me get it sorted, but it’s a bummer that DV’s manufacturing is so “fast and loose” such that I can’t necessarily trust that another dv tip will mate well with the heater they produce...

Not to distract from the discussion of the new tips. Just wanted to offer my thanks. The DV is too new for me to offer any meaningful feedback there. Out of curiosity though, is the captive cap generally a looser fit than the non-captive ones? I had to bend mine quite a bit to get it to stay out, but the airflow otherwise seems fine to me.

Last edited:
gordontreeman,

vandalizedbythelotus

View attachment 5782

Yeah, no George. Spiral angle and groove size are both completely different. Perhaps one is counterfeit?
i actually think the spiral angle difference in this pic is illusion caused by camera angle and tip angle of rotation.
IME grooves are just a bit wider but much shallower/restricted. that's what affects airflow/perfomance.

vandalizedbythelotus,
Top Bottom