Toivarita

999 Forever
LOL. I had given a friend my c-vap. I also bought him a new triple flame torch and gave him oem dynavap printed instructions on how to use it. I administered as much verbal instruction as he would take when I dropped it off lol.

My friend called me last week and said 'it just isn't for me'....and...'why don't you come pick it up?'.

So today I go to pick it up....thinking to myself that I might as well give it to someone who would actually use it. When I got it home I see that he only used about 20% of the butane in the torch and the c-vap REEEEKS like an old wood pipe lol. I mean it smells TERRRRIBLE. My friend is in his 70's and during this pandemic I'm not going into his house....so when I dropped it off....I was masked and we were outside standing in the cold <-- less than ideal conditions to adequately introduce a newbie to a butane vape.

I'm giving everything a soak in 99% ISO and I'll put it back together like new.

Boy do my hands and fingers STINK! It was worth a try lol.
Try again with a single flame torch, maybe?

Toivarita,
Reactions: jabba

jabba

Try again with a single flame torch, maybe?
I could try...but in this case I am afraid that I cannot teach 'an old dog new tricks'. I'm thinking of sending it to another buddy in Minnesota who I know smokes daily.....and strangely uses his old-school dugout and batt exclusively. I thought that the CVAP may be the perfect 'tool' for the job of kicking his combustion given that the process and format is so similar to a dugout/batt.

Toivarita

999 Forever
I could try...but in this case I am afraid that I cannot teach 'an old dog new tricks'. I'm thinking of sending it to another buddy in Minnesota who I know smokes daily.....and strangely uses his old-school dugout and batt exclusively. I thought that the CVAP may be the perfect 'tool' for the job of kicking his combustion given that the process and format is so similar to a dugout/batt.
You could always invest in the single torch, try again, and if it fails send it so your buddy who uses a dugout

Toivarita,
Reactions: stark1

JJ785

@Hetts, you’re right, doesn’t work with 18mm with included o ring. That was a brain fart on my part

he, no worries. Noticed that it doesn't fit my standard 10mm adapter very well. Would something like a Sneaky Peter master adapter work better?

FWIW, the jet pack for tectonic and shell shock has arrived at vapewellness (UK) for £25

JJ785,
Reactions: stark1

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I know I've told this story a few times, but I decided to send my father a dynavap a few years ago. He is also in his 70's and has some issues with his dexterity. I knew he would love the vapcap, but the torch would never work for him. Especially without the ability for me to be there to show him.

It was a bit expensive, but IMHO the only way for this to work was to also send an IH heater instead of a torch. It had to be a simple, press and click heat. It was enough for him to learn the heat up and cool down click. He has combusted in the past, but I talked him through cleaning it and starting again.

He then took right off with it and never looked back. It's now his DD, and the Pax 3 sits in the drawer. Recently I got him some live resin and taught him the organic cotton hack. He's got his hippy friends buying Dynavaps now.

Last edited:

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
I know I've told this story a few times, but I decided to send my father a dynavap a few years ago. He is also in his 70's and has some issues with his dexterity. I knew he would love the vapcap, but the torch would never work for him. Especially without the ability for me to be there to show him.

It was a bit expensive, but IMHO the only way for this to work was to also send an IH heater instead of a torch. It had to be a simple, press and click heat. It was enough for him to learn the heat up and cool down click. He has combusted in the past, but I talked him through cleaning it and starting again.

He then took right off with it and never looked back. It's now his DD, and the Pax 3 sits in the drawer. Recently I got him some live resin and taught him the organic cotton hack. He's got his hippy friends buying Dynavaps now.
I turned 65 last year and I will tell you that the vapcap with an IH is perfect for us old farts. It’s simple, quiet and easy.

I’ve been using my Caldron for 2 years and my Portside Mini is out for delivery today. I’ve sampled some of the other IH’s out there and none hold a candle to the OG IMHO.

Cheers FCers.

Smokey McVape

I turned 65 last year and I will tell you that the vapcap with an IH is perfect for us old farts. It’s simple, quiet and easy.

I’ve been using my Caldron for 2 years and my Portside Mini is out for delivery today. I’ve sampled some of the other IH’s out there and none hold a candle to the OG IMHO.

Cheers FCers.
I couldn't agree more.
I'm still surprised that George @ Dynavap didn't team up with @Pipes for the 'genuine' Dynavap branded units - they would be far better than the Rover or the Orion which are both pony.

snackmaster

I couldn't agree more.
I'm still surprised that George @ Dynavap didn't team up with @Pipes for the 'genuine' Dynavap branded units - they would be far better than the Rover or the Orion which are both pony.
Same. Hadn't used my vapcaps in a looong time, but then I finally bought a caldron last year - now I'm using them regularly again. At the end of the year I got an apollo 2 on sale thinking it would be nice to have a second IH, but its looks, construction, performance, etc all felt subpar so I got rid of it. If I ever get the itch to get another I'll go with @Pipes again.

Vaporware

I’m sure that Pipes makes good stuff, and he’s obviously a great member of the community, but I should point out that @mr_cfromcali also makes some great stuff!

At least right now the Flite is also one of the most pocket friendly options out there, and it has some other nice features like adjustable PWM you can use to dial in the performance you’re looking for. :)

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I’m sure that Pipes makes good stuff, and he’s obviously a great member of the community, but I should point out that @mr_cfromcali also makes some great stuff!

At least right now the Flite is also one of the most pocket friendly options out there, and it has some other nice features like adjustable PWM you can use to dial in the performance you’re looking for. :)

I do like the look of the Flite. The pulse modulation is a great idea to fine tune the heating experience. I just wish it didn't make that repetitive clicking sound. It sounds like I'm in my grandfather's Chrysler and he's forgot to shut the turn signal off again. Going around the world to the left.

My PSM doesn't make any sound when heating. I know it is bigger than the Flite, but being silent helps with stealth too. Stealth is somewhat important in my house.

I can't deny that I wouldn't mind a heat adjustable IH in the future.

BabyFacedFinster,
  • Haha
Reactions: Vaporware

Vaporware

@BabyFacedFinster I get it, and I haven’t heard the Flite’s PWM in person yet, but if it makes you feel any better Jeff and Tommy say that the sound is exaggerated in the videos we’ve seen, and it does still have the standard mode that works like the PSM and won’t keep clicking throughout the heat cycle.

Yes that removes the advantages of the PWM, but you can switch it off when you want more stealth and back on when you’re in a more friendly environment.

I think the Flite is probably the best pocketable option out there right now, but I wouldn’t push anyone away from a PSM, Cauldron, etc. if they’re happy with it. I’d like to try one myself if I get a chance. :)

Vapefanatic

@Pipes FTW! Unfortunately, he does not ship internationally my way. But I agree with almost everything about the man and his products. Genuine dude making genuine products selling at genuine prices! I'd support him any day if he would ship to me! I'm definitely not affiliated cos the guy don't even know me lol.

While this may be subjective, I feel most IH out there are ridiculously overpriced. While most can fork out $100-200 for an IH, cos our DV purchases easily outweighs the amount, I find it difficult to accept and support such makers. Its easy to just buy one and assume my one purchase won't make much difference. But I guess my ocd won't let me sleep well at night lol.

It's widely publicized that it takes around $50++ to DIY your own but it's really less than $25 to mass produce them in China. You won't even need to order a lot. 100 units would be plenty. Order more and it could even get below $20. The most expensive part, is actually the enclosure especially if you want it custom. I just don't have the time, technical knowledge or enough love for DV to do this myself. I'm just an occasional DV user cos it doesn't really suit me.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I think it is DV that set the benchmark while taking the biggest share of the profits with the Apollo line. They pushed that advantage pretty hard with Orion. But indeed, that is a $25 product at COGS. Add the 'packaging' and you get a $35/COGS going for $199?MSRP.

Now take the Artisans - what would you pay them for their time? $164? I don't thing so. If the product takes 2 hours to build, what would you tip?

I'm in your camp @Vapefanatic . I can make my own. I've spent a whole lot more making exactly what I wanted only to find I love the performance of the Flite. That is a very common syndrome - "Oh I can make that much cheaper" only to end up spending 2x the original sticker shock. But a lot of fun and edumacation will have been accomplished. I guess it is all about your value metrics.

Vapefanatic

I think it is DV that set the benchmark while taking the biggest share of the profits with the Apollo line. They pushed that advantage pretty hard with Orion. But indeed, that is a $25 product at COGS. Add the 'packaging' and you get a $35/COGS going for $199?MSRP.
Custom aluminum enclosure for IH sizes goes for around $5 max for just 100pcs min. Cheaper for more naturally. I really should open up a bridging service store to help makers buy wholesale materials lol.

Now take the Artisans - what would you pay them for their time? $164? I don't thing so. If the product takes 2 hours to build, what would you tip?
That's one way of thinking about it and would be totally fair. Thing is, not everyone wants an artisanal IH but pretty much all are sold at artisanal price points. Way I look at it, even if it costs makers outside of China, double the amount to make an IH, it still should not cost over $100 with a 100% profit margin. Just feels that many are just taking advantage of the industry. Kinda sad but can't say for absolute certainty that I wouldn't do the same myself so, this is nothing but a slight rant from some dude who knows nothing compared to the wealth of knowledge you all posess! That was a mouthful lol!
I'm in your camp @Vapefanatic . I can make my own. I've spent a whole lot more making exactly what I wanted only to find I love the performance of the Flite. That is a very common syndrome - "Oh I can make that much cheaper" only to end up spending 2x the original sticker shock. But a lot of fun and edumacation will have been accomplished. I guess it is all about your value metrics.
Absolutely agreed. I can still hope for a Pipes nearby my area to pop up, so I can snag up a reasonably priced one. I actually have someone gift me their failed attempt at DIY IH. I don't really know what to make of it. Sitting in the store room since I got it. Didn't even turn it on once. If I ever get to opening the box, can I get some guidance? I've not seen anyone with the insight that you have, with regards to IH. Mad respect, brother!

Vapefanatic

Margin is the percentage of any sale which is profit. The sale itself is 100%. If half of that sale is costs, and half is profit, that's a 50% profit margin, which is what I believe you mean. If you got 100% profit margin, it means you acquired something for free.
No mathematician here. Far from it lol. Always did badly.

But what I had in my head was, if total cost is $50, then 100% profit margin would be another $50, which would make the final price to be $100? 50% margin would be $25?

Am I wrong? So sorry if I'm missing something obvious here?

Vaporware

It’s all in the way you look at it. You’re not wrong about the math, but when people talk about profit margin they’re normally basing it on the total income from the unit minus all associated costs, so in this case it would be $100 (customer’s cost) - $50 (manufacturer’s cost) = $50 or 50% (profit margin).

I don’t know Jeff’s costs and margins, and I do wish the Fluxer Heaters were cheaper, but there are only a few people I know of making heaters with custom circuit boards, adding other features and hopefully getting closer to the best performance, size, etc. for our purposes.

The Flite is pushing the limits of what I think most of us would be willing and able to spend on an induction heater, and I understand why it’s more than a lot of VapCap users would consider when there are good lower cost options out there, but as long as I don’t feel like he’s intentionally overcharging us I’m willing to support him.

I’m also very happy that Pipes has cheaper and still great options to cover more people though, and I hope that they both do well. :)

If you or anyone else can help Jeff get his costs down and maybe lower prices a bit, I’d also be very happy with that. I do know he builds these himself though, so it will never be as cheap as something made in a Chinese factory unless it is also made in a similar factory.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I think we're overlooking engineering costs as well. That is something Orion can recover with a successful relaunch. Inventory risks... crap - my head is spinning again LOL Can we change the subject?

I guess we need a new subject. Any release on the '21-M yet? I mean come on, it is almost Vapruary.

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Time “Marches” on. Then April, the “cruelest” month.

The good thing is 4/20, when we can hope for the flowering of new perspectives, like the new M21, and a new Omni, may be.

“Do I dare to wear the bottom off my trousers rolled, I grow old, I grow old. But I digress...

“The ladies come and go, speaking of Michelangelo, drinking tea and crumpets

As Tears Elliot ( may have ) said, TD Bear, “Hope is in the Dope”

VapCap, on- “ Drive, he sd

Last edited:
Top Bottom