TommyDee

Vaporitor
Yeah I've been seeing a lot of comments echoing what you're saying amongst various dynavap/vape communities.

Operating under the premise then that these new caps aren't quite as good as the older caps, what's the consensus on what the best caps would be? 2019? 2018?

From the standpoint of the induction heaters, something has fundamentally changed coupling efficiency to the cap and tip. It isn't immediately clear why. I did note that the cap material appears to be thinner, by maybe 10%. But that doesn't explain a much larger coupling difference. I'm looking at the additional mass at the cooling fins as a possible culprit - sucking heat out of the cap. I get conduction with effort. The convection is lacking as evidenced by a lighter ring in the middle. Great for flavor chasing.

Okay, if George gets the headline post on page 2020, he or his staff is lurking. Just sayin' :cool:

idboehman

I can get a much more thorough heating, with more heat soak, with a single-flame torch than I could ever get with an IH. Don't get me wrong, I use my IH when I want convenience over quality...but when flavor and efficiency is of utmost importance, no IH could beat my single flame torch...at least not an IH that I am aware of.

If it were purely about getting enough heat to the cap, then you could use a huge torch flame that only takes a couple seconds to heat, like our known and loved Big Shot. Unfortunately, in a situation like that, the very outside layer in the bowl would be scorched and the center would be untouched. A slower heat-soak is where you want to be for flavor and efficiency.

You've convinced me to at least give torches another shot. Anyone have single or triple flame torches they can recommend? Even if I could get my dab torch back in gear I think it'd be too powerful for the vapcap.

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
—————————-
Like TommyD said, I think this slow heat up can be achieved with IH heater. I do it all the time with Portside mini.
I Heat the approx 9 second heat up in 3 phases. A little
one second draw after each to spread the heat evenly.
Very even load. No big deal to just adjust to a slower heat up.

Still have the entire load heating the same, each time, just shorter lengths the heat is on the whole load. Then i have to try and pull out pre click to try and replicate lower temp hits. It's like a microwave for your vapcap. Gets the job done heat wise, but the food always suffers a bit.
Heating the cap at different spots on the cap with a good flame results in differing hits that you can control during the session. Vapcap 101 a while back.
If you've only ever IH'd with one of these, or are wondering why they sent you an inferno for a torch, you should at least revisit it with a decent torch.
Love my Skelator, sleep with it in arms reach. Love The Aomai single flame more.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I don't mind saving the 5 seconds to get up to temp on an IH but the final roast should be at reduced power levels. I don't know that the general audience has patience to wait 20 seconds to the first draw with an IH. However, a change from the standard issue 3s battery packs to 2s would go a long way to taming the IH offerings out there. Straight plug-in the wall units just need a lesser voltage power brick.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Always been a fan of this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Vertigo-Cycl...ords=triple+flame+torch&qid=1587505888&sr=8-3
61lvZhhP20L._AC_SX679_.jpg

almost there

Does anyone else besides Simrell make a condenserless Ti stem? I'm waiting for more options. I've seen Andy Capp's stems but they require a condenser.
Phattpiggie’s stems have condensers that are integrated into the wood.
Edit- sorry just reread the post and realized you said ti. Back in the day we had our exceptional house artist @stardustsailor but he’s been in hiatus

@ontopofclouds for me personal, early 2017. Regardless I can utilize each variance to its best potential so I love them all

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Does anyone else besides Simrell make a condenserless Ti stem? I'm waiting for more options. I've seen Andy Capp's stems but they require a condenser.

The stems by @khelek41girl / KG Woodcrafts are fully lined with stainless steel; you can use them with a condenser + spinning mouthpiece or use one of her custom mouthpieces without an extra condenser. Those who fit a water piece can be used without any mouthpiece & condenser.

thejackalsmark

Just another "Person Of Interest"
The stems by @khelek41girl / KG Woodcrafts are fully lined with stainless steel; you can use them with a condenser + spinning mouthpiece or use one of her custom mouthpieces without an extra condenser. Those who fit a water piece can be used without any mouthpiece & condenser.

@khelek41girl is an OUTSTANDING woodturner that doesn't get NEARLY the exposure she DESERVES! :tup::nod:

Happy Vaping! :leaf:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I have come across her work and find the pieces very nice. I especially like how the pieces lined in SS have a wide inner diameter such as what I have in my RWW glass stem. I believe this helps reduce drag resistance, at least in my head.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@khelek41girl is an OUTSTANDING woodturner that doesn't get NEARLY the exposure she DESERVES! :tup::nod:

Happy Vaping! :leaf:
+10

This one of her creations goes particularly well with the idea of Vape Liquor...

412c80_d9649ed020a44218bfe1c50c0fba82ac~mv2.jpg

@RustyOldNail - just developing - need a maker and some backing. Best input so far is to use two or more magnets for buddies to join in on a session :2c: :D

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Still have the entire load heating the same, each time, just shorter lengths the heat is on the whole load. Then i have to try and pull out pre click to try and replicate lower temp hits. It's like a microwave for your vapcap. Gets the job done heat wise, but the food always suffers a bit.
Heating the cap at different spots on the cap with a good flame results in differing hits that you can control during the session. Vapcap 101 a while back.
If you've only ever IH'd with one of these, or are wondering why they sent you an inferno for a torch, you should at least revisit it with a decent torch.
Love my Skelator, sleep with it in arms reach. Love The Aomai single flame more.

If the IH was not invented for the dynavap, I would not have come back to the vapcap world. I had tried it many times and went through many torches and a few vc's too. I also learned to drive automatic and standard shift cars, but I haven't wanted a stick shift in 3o years. I just prefer the ease of use and give up some loss of control in driving. I wonder if this is similar to those who prefer or at least enjoy a torch compared to an IH. I will know a bit more when my PSM arrives as my only other comparsion is my caldron, but I believe I will aways prefer IH over torches.

I have tried all sorts of torches from 3 to 2 to 1 flame. Some of those little bastards shit the bed at the most inopportune times. As I've said before, you could have a well designed torch that works for someone who comments on it. However, the quality control is shit and for any of those little fuckers, you can buy 20 of them and half of them will not function properly. That coupled with the fact that I have the torch skills of a drunken sailor and a easily irritated throat brings me to prefer the uniform heating of the IH.

When I remember, and it's not often, I like to run the vc through one heating cycle empty before loading for the first time, just to give it a good heat soak. This gives me a real nice first hit, more like the second hit after you load up a cold tip.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
If the IH was not invented for the dynavap, I would not have come back to the vapcap world. I had tried it many times and went through many torches and a few vc's too. I also learned to drive automatic and standard shift cars, but I haven't wanted a stick shift in 3o years. I just prefer the ease of use and give up some loss of control in driving. I wonder if this is similar to those who prefer or at least enjoy a torch compared to an IH. I will know a bit more when my PSM arrives as my only other comparsion is my caldron, but I believe I will aways prefer IH over torches.

I have tried all sorts of torches from 3 to 2 to 1 flame. Some of those little bastards shit the bed at the most inopportune times. As I've said before, you could have a well designed torch that works for someone who comments on it. However, the quality control is shit and for any of those little fuckers, you can buy 20 of them and half of them will not function properly. That coupled with the fact that I have the torch skills of a drunken sailor and a easily irritated throat brings me to prefer the uniform heating of the IH.

When I remember, and it's not often, I like to run the vc through one heating cycle empty before loading for the first time, just to give it a good heat soak. This gives me a real nice first hit, more like the second hit after you load up a cold tip.

Couldn’t agree more, especially the part about cars, when I was young, and had a sports car, it had to be a stick shift. As I got older, sitting in stop and go traffic, riding the clutch every two seconds to move a few feet,..... well I’ll take AUTO.

Never thought of a no load preheat, I’ll like trying different ways of using an IH.

Mono Loco

@khelek41girl is an OUTSTANDING woodturner that doesn't get NEARLY the exposure she DESERVES!

I did not of her work - thanks for sharing it.

Is there a complete list of stem makers on FC? I wonder how many others are out there that I have not caught wind of (?). I know of:

- Phattpiggie
- Simrell
- SDS (StarDustSailor)
- Aezhenn Wood
- Ed's TNT
- Mrb
- Glass Charlie
- MistVape
- Rouge Wax Works (retailer, not the maker)
- Sneaky Pete's retail store with several varieties of Glass stems (Hula, sidewinder, etc.)

edit: forgot to list these guys (thanks for the reminders ... )

- danielj
- Andy Capp
- DDave (and his glass Water Wand)

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I think you missed @danielj .

Coffee drinkers need automatic shift in their commuter vehicles.
How else do you keep a firm grasp of your cup-o-joe?
:leaf:
...or your VapCap for that matter.
:razz: so who's gonna top pg2020? :science:

Last edited:
Top Bottom