RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I was excited to get my early 4/20 ti-bb9 setup.

Taking it out of the package....they changed the carb/airport/whateveryoursupposedtocallit.

Now there is an extruded hole so it sticks out above the surface a good mm or 2. Great for those that
actually use it....bad for those that like to block it off.

bb9carb-New.jpg

Unfortunately...I got a dud or low-qc one...the joint fits looser than a $5 ..... lol

Have to return this one and ask for anything that have flush carbs if possible.

I like my BB9, only complaint is the balls get stuck, not sticking together, but 2 within a chamber, bind together, as in jammed, not from sticky vapor. This happens even after an ISO cleaning. Once stuck, they don’t budge. The end ones you can get to with a thin wire and dislodge them. I don’t know if swirling balls actually cool the vapor, but after a few uses, the sticky vapor will stop them. I would have been fine with NO BALLS! Ok joke on...

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
As a user you have gone nose blind
Hey @lookhigh, that is quite an assumption, but regardless of your opinion about my sense of smell, I'm afraid you have misunderstood me - as referred to in my previous post, my DS has accidentally accompanied me to many places where it definitely should not have been, and if anyone had caught even the slightest whiff it would have been highlighted without a doubt (as it was many, many times in my youth & earlier adult life while combusting). Additionally, while testing the Zion's stash compartment which incorporated a cork seal in the lid, I was called out in public places and by friends & family on several occasions. But this has never happened with my DynaStash.

Perhaps your stash lid is not secured tightly enough, or maybe your DS smells on the outside due to handling. Is it an official Dyna Dugout from 2015? If not it may be different to mine which is the only one I have experience of. Many woodworkers have designed their own versions & I have no idea how they perform.

I am in regular contact with non-'users' - close family included & they are thankfully and quite rightly honest with me on this subject for our own safety, and never once in 4 - 5 years of ownership has the smell from my DyneStash been brought in to question - because generally, there isn't any particular odor unless I accidentally slide the lid open in my pocket, but hey that one's on me :2c: :leaf:

:peace:

junny89

I like my BB9, only complaint is the balls get stuck, not sticking together, but 2 within a chamber, bind together, as in jammed, not from sticky vapor. This happens even after an ISO cleaning. Once stuck, they don’t budge. The end ones you can get to with a thin wire and dislodge them. I don’t know if swirling balls actually cool the vapor, but after a few uses, the sticky vapor will stop them. I would have been fine with NO BALLS! Ok joke on...

Funny you say that. At the time as I was buying it the exact thought came right in to my mind and I still purchased it! Looked better than what ever else was available (lots were out of stock anyway) and this looked the best.

As a user you have gone nose blind.
My wife could smell the stash wherever i left it.
Put a plastic container in it and problem solved.

having the same issue here too. It does leak quite a bit of the aroma. Going to tighten and compare it. For the safe side I got a proper bag container with a special inner lining to mask any smell. Can hold my lighter in there too along with other hits and bats :lol:

LabPong

I would like to mention that the Ti tip and Low T cap I just received the other day......was very clean compared to the last few I ordered a last year.

Dynavap stepped up their cleaning quite a bit it seems if this last tip can cap I got are examples of all their stock now.

Good job Dynavap.....that always bugged me when I cleaned stuff off with a ISO qtip and got lots of gray machining/production oils from them.

:tup:

NexVision

I would like to mention that the Ti tip and Low T cap I just received the other day......was very clean compared to the last few I ordered a last year.

Dynavap stepped up their cleaning quite a bit it seems if this last tip can cap I got are examples of all their stock now.

Good job Dynavap.....that always bugged me when I cleaned stuff off with a ISO qtip and got lots of gray machining/production oils from them.

:tup:
Dont be to impressed a qtip with ISO came out black from my new 2020 so.... Not upset just saying.

notams

toke down Babylon
Hey @Summer thanks for the heads up on the D-capper.

GFL is legit! I just ordered mine. Can't wait. Thanks again.

I forget who said "nose blind' first. That reminded me of that scene from Oceans 11 where they're kicking the dude out of his motel room, yelling, "you've gone nose deaf, sir!". It's like telling someone they have body odor. Denying it doesn't change it.

The use of "nose deaf" in the context of stash boxes is pretty funny. I'm just picturing Cheech in full stoner outfit with a cloud of smoke swirling around him, Dynastash in hand saying, "ya' see man, can't smell a thing can you?"

Last edited:

LabPong

Dont be to impressed a qtip with ISO came out black from my new 2020 so.... Not upset just saying.

Noted...but mine was Ti.....not sure if that matters at all....and the M2020 was probably rushed to the market. Hope they can do better with that one and others if they still are not clean.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@TommyDee can you please compare airflow with the airport closed? how is draw restriction on your 2020 vs 2019M.
mine is much more restricted, close to 2018 and i can't make it work well. trying to figure out if it's intended or a defect.
thank you.
Mine is flowing well @vandalizedbythelotus . I would say as well as the '19 but not improved. The restriction is at the crimp in the cap. I can change the back pressure slightly by pushing on the cap a little so that is where variation should reside.

thejackalsmark

Just another "Person Of Interest"
@TommyDee can you please compare airflow with the airport closed? how is draw restriction on your 2020 vs 2019M.
mine is much more restricted, close to 2018 and i can't make it work well. trying to figure out if it's intended or a defect.
thank you.

Airflow is Markedly more noticeable on the 20M than the 19, on mine.

Happy Vaping! :leaf:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Maybe I have an exceptionally well flowing '19 :brow: No complaints on that one.

I did note in my earlier mini-review that the CCD is now flat on the bottom of the '20 tip. This does improve air-flow with the load in place for sure. I am comparing flow without the load. The adjustable bowl set to anything but full will allow a lot more air to flow with the load in place. If the CCD is in fact concave in the bottom of the '20 tip, similar to previous years, then it is acting as older tips. I suspect the design has opened up the CCD ID a little as mine is definitely bigger.

Last edited:

notams

toke down Babylon
Regarding airflow of older models over 20M:

I find it very hard to comment on this subject because of the subjectivity of the matter.

I draw with different intensity each time based on a million intangibles.

Illustration:
Many years ago (I'm older than you think, this was mid 1990's) I was a coffee roaster and sold to coffee shops. My company offered advice and help regarding the grind of the bean for drip, espresso or french press. Additionally, advice and help was offered for the amount of pressure to apply when tamping the espresso beans, the amount of ground coffee to use, the temperature of the water and on and...

You know what happened? Every shop and every barista did whatever the hell they wanted. And the result? Wonderful variety and opportunity for personal expression. I gave up giving my speech on how it "should" be done and just enjoyed the variety.

As the coffee shops became more automated and industrial, the variables allowing for variance was seen as a negative. Consumers demanded consistency. So, underpaid and undertrained baristas stating just pushing buttons. The result? Great, consistent, easy to make coffee that people love. Consistently. While removing as many variables as possible (grind, pressure, amounts).

Not a problem. Want a chain store coffee experience - go there. If you like it it's delicious. By definition. If you want a more personal, dialed in experience - either go somewhere else or go home and make your own cup.

I think the same thing happened with vaporizers. The industry removed so many variables to remove user error and produce consistent results that the consumer is relying on the machine to give them the airflow it was "designed" to produce. Well - surprise surprise modern consumers - this particular manufacturer and designer requires collaborative effort from YOU to produce your own dialed in experience.

No one packed your bowl except you. It's your mouth, your lips, your tongue, your lungs, your intensity and expectations and experiences. My experience and advice will have very little input or impact on what you experience.

If you want "perfect" airflow as defined by someone else go buy the latest, greatest gadget with a battery. If you want your own personal "perfect" airflow - buy a DV and dial it in yourself.

Is the airflow different from the 19M to the 20M? About as different as my cup of coffee is from yours. And that's a beautiful thing.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Love the comparison. Couldn't think of a better one. Coffee and weed are so much alike in this sense. It only took me a week to realize that this game had nothing on one-size-fits-all. It makes it a very difficult crowd to please too. Thanks for that great insight @notams .

New findings - IH and VapCaps.

So I did a quick comparison to understand what is going on with the '18, '19, and '20-M's. Why does is the '20M so tame in the standard issue IH?

The power an induction heater draws is dependent on the metal you insert into the coil. This is the coupling of the eddy currents between the coil and the VC. This tells us some of how much energy is imparted into the VC.

I have a ZVS 120W open frame IH with 12V input. The coil has a vial that meters insertion depth. The vial also centers the VC within a couple of millimeters.

2018 M without herb draws 7.6 amps; 91 watts between the VC and the IH
2019 M also w/o herb draws 6.8 amps; now 81 watts total.
2020 M w/o herb draws 5.4 amps; or closer to 65 watts total.
In each case, the 'idle' current for the IH is 1.5 amps or 18 watts. Subtract that from the totals above to get the difference (not exactly the right value but it works for this napkin)
73w/63w/47w - if the '18 is 100% then '19 is 63/73=86% and '20 is 47/73=64% heating rate over the '18. This would explain why an IH may take a little longer for the newer models.

Ref: Mass -.245oz '20 - .225oz '18 & '19 - variation could be in the fins region which is an insignificant part of the load. [red herring]

This is the first real datapoint I have for changes in VC's over these years.
I've only recently switched to the '19. It wasn't much different from the '18 that I could tell, but this tells me something else.

Last edited:

notams

toke down Babylon
@TommyDee I don't even know what I just read... But... I was hanging on every word like it was a newly discovered Hemingway manuscript.

And you just got your 20... Ummm yesterday? Damn, son. Stoner tech god.

Edit:
This just in! To anyone in Colorado, check out the show at Red Rocks 8/16. It's the last stop on the Summer tour (fingers crossed) for Slightly Stoopid. Acoustic roots reggae show with Fortunate Youth at Red Rocks on a summer evening in Colorado. Tix are only $50.

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@notams - This study actually comes from a couple of days ago when @junny89 mentioned a long heatup time for his new M using a torch. It had me curious since then. I am glad it is entertaining and for the most part, that is really why it is here. For a few others, this may actually mean something. For me, it is an intriguing datapoint with science in the induction heaters. I suspect I know what is going on with the data but it will require a few more pieces of mail to get here so I can continue my experiments.
I substitute DIY for purchasing vapes to keep my VAS in check. I can't afford the ladder.

lookhigh

FC member
Hey @lookhigh, that is quite an assumption, but regardless of your opinion about my sense of smell, I'm afraid you have misunderstood me - as referred to in my previous post, my DS has accidentally accompanied me to many places where it definitely should not have been, and if anyone had caught even the slightest whiff it would have been highlighted without a doubt (as it was many, many times in my youth & earlier adult life while combusting). Additionally, while testing the Zion's stash compartment which incorporated a cork seal in the lid, I was called out in public places and by friends & family on several occasions. But this has never happened with my DynaStash.

Perhaps your stash lid is not secured tightly enough, or maybe your DS smells on the outside due to handling. Is it an official Dyna Dugout from 2015? If not it may be different to mine which is the only one I have experience of. Many woodworkers have designed their own versions & I have no idea how they perform.

I am in regular contact with non-'users' - close family included & they are thankfully and quite rightly honest with me on this subject for our own safety, and never once in 4 - 5 years of ownership has the smell from my DyneStash been brought in to question - because generally, there isn't any particular odor unless I accidentally slide the lid open in my pocket, but hey that one's on me :2c: :leaf:

:peace:
Sorry did not mean to assume anything.
However peeps who vape smell way less than the ones who dont.
Vapcap are fine in the storage tube but as soon as i have a vapcap left in the house she can smell it.
Cleaning helps but some strains just leave a smell trial
Not worried when im with friends etc. but there are lots of unfriendlies around.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Sorry did not mean to assume anything.
However peeps who vape smell way less than the ones who dont.
Vapcap are fine in the storage tube but as soon as i have a vapcap left in the house she can smell it.
Cleaning helps but some strains just leave a smell trial
Not worried when im with friends etc. but there are lots of unfriendlies around.[/QUOTE

Have to agree to disagree, Bud.

I can simell both those who smoke, and those who vape—on the subway, and on the buses.
That’s why I like pedal my bike, when I can.

Wish I were nozeblind.

Nowadaze, my dog and I like take social distancing walks daily. The only smells are that of
The daffodils blooming everywhere.

lookhigh

FC member
Have to agree to disagree, Bud.

I can simell both those who smoke, and those who vape—on the subway, and on the buses.
That’s why I like pedal my bike, when I can.

Wish I were nozeblind.

Nowadaze, my dog and I like take social distancing walks daily. The only smells are that of
The daffodils blooming everywhere.

aaah but your not just average lol.:love:
Im also wife deaf.

Top Bottom