simba

@weedanwine
Wow. Ok. I would've thought that the temp number you're using on the dial would be discussed during an issue like this. Barely being able to travel past 1 on the dial without risking combustion seems suspect to me.
So I checked the messages and I wasn't specific about how close it was to setting 1, I said under 3, so probably wouldn't have raised as much alarm I guess?

I have taken it closer to 2.5ish when using with the glass bowl, but that was about the edge.

simba,

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
So I checked the messages and I wasn't specific about how close it was to setting 1, I said under 3, so probably wouldn't have raised as much alarm I guess?

I have taken it closer to 2.5ish when using with the glass bowl, but that was about the edge.
I'm no authority but that sounds off. I don't think I remember anyone in this thread using temps that low (2.5 with glass bowl), and if they were, it was for very low temp tasting - nothing near combustion temps.

It seems like the newer units are calibrated much different than the early ones. I got mine around launch and I'm using setting 8 through the glass bowl lol. I also have issues with tunneling and it seems to happen regardless of draw technique. I think it's worse with the glass bowl because the surface area of the herb is wider than the heater air path.

Last edited:

BreadStick

Does anyone know what the current and voltage rating is for the heater cartridge in the couchlog? If it can take a bit of extra power I'd love to see a second power supply made that is intended for using the couchlog more like an injector. This second power supply would regulate the power application so it has the same temp control but uses more watts when heating so the couchlog heats faster. I think this would eliminate the issue @simba has highlighted about the couchlog struggling with consecutive hits. I've seen warnings about using alternate power supplies because you can make the heater too hot and damage the wood lining, maybe a stainless steel lined sleeve could be designed to protect the wood?

I'd also really like to see markings added to the temp control unit to indicate which port on the temp controller is which as well as an LED or some sort of indicator to let you know the controller is working. A little pixel would be nice so you could change the colour of the light for different temp settings.

bestvaping

@simba I agree with @coolbreeze and @TigoleBitties your temperature controller seems to have a problem. I'm also surprised that the controller cable doesn't hold very well, as mine is firmly attached and doesn't move at all (even when moving).

and this image shows what it looks like when it isn't connected
I'm confused, mine works well if I set it as in your picture. I can even disconnect it further than shown in your picture and it still works (and fits perfectly into the wood).

From your pictures, it seems that we don't have the same type of connector, here's mine:

Temperature ranges should look like this (careful, as Chris tells me, the heaters have tolerances so thats only approximately):
  1. 160°C / 320°F
  2. 175°C / 347°F
  3. 190°C / 374°F
  4. 205°C / 401°F
  5. 220°C / 428°F
  6. 235°C / 455°F
  7. 250°C / 482°F
  8. 265°C / 509°F
  9. 280°C / 536°F
  10. 295°C / 563°F
I hope your problem will be solved.

Last edited:

Razhumikin

Does anyone know what the current and voltage rating is for the heater cartridge in the couchlog? If it can take a bit of extra power I'd love to see a second power supply made that is intended for using the couchlog more like an injector. This second power supply would regulate the power application so it has the same temp control but uses more watts when heating so the couchlog heats faster. I think this would eliminate the issue @simba has highlighted about the couchlog struggling with consecutive hits. I've seen warnings about using alternate power supplies because you can make the heater too hot and damage the wood lining, maybe a stainless steel lined sleeve could be designed to protect the wood?

I'd also really like to see markings added to the temp control unit to indicate which port on the temp controller is which as well as an LED or some sort of indicator to let you know the controller is working. A little pixel would be nice so you could change the colour of the light for different temp settings.
I personally would not like to see those changes to the power controller/cl in general. The controller is so elegant now, adding lots of (in my opinion unnecesarry) markings and a light would really make it busy and unattractive to me, and would detract significantly from the minimalist aesthetics that help make the cl so special. I dont believe a stainless steel liner on the sleeve would solve the problem of the wood getting too hot imo, and would just be replicating a poor design choice from enano that causes spilts and makes the unit less comfortable to hold.

BreadStick

I personally would not like to see those changes to the power controller/cl in general. The controller is so elegant now, adding lots of (in my opinion unnecesarry) markings and a light would really make it busy and unattractive to me, and would detract significantly from the minimalist aesthetics that help make the cl so special. I dont believe a stainless steel liner on the sleeve would solve the problem of the wood getting too hot imo, and would just be replicating a poor design choice from enano that causes spilts and makes the unit less comfortable to hold.
I see where you're coming from the temp controller does look really good as is. That's why I suggested a second power supply so that both would be available but this would probably be too big a manufacturing challenge.

I think the light would be nice for people who vape in darker environments. I know it isn't hard to put your hand over the couchlog to see if it's on but I would like a visual indicator to tell me the log is receiving power, especially if a cable or the controller fails it could be nice for trouble shooting.

I think small markings like the different temp markings could be added under each of the ports without changing the aesthetic that much, maybe 1 small line to indicate power and no marking on the other. I re-read the manual and it says the power plug should only fit in one port so this idea is probably overkill.

I didn't know Enano tried a steel lining before, was it the expansion of the steel that caused the wood to split? I thought it would be an okay idea because of the vapman 2.0 design but I suppose the vapman lining shouldn't get as hot as the couchlog/Enano lining would.

I would still love to see a faster heat up time for the couchlog if it was possible somehow.

I was also wondering if there's a reason the sleeve only comes up to level with the heater. I feel like it could be extended a couple of mm over the top of the heater to reduce the risk of getting burnt by the heater if your skin brush across the top of the device while it was on.

Last edited:

Razhumikin

I see where you're coming from the temp controller does look really good as is. That's why I suggested a second power supply so that both would be available but this would probably be too big a manufacturing challenge.

I think the light would be nice for people who vape in darker environments. I know it isn't hard to put your hand over the couchlog to see if it's on but I would like a visual indicator to tell me the log is receiving power, especially if a cable or the controller fails it could be nice for trouble shooting.

I think small markings like the different temp markings could be added under each of the ports without changing the aesthetic that much, maybe 1 small line to indicate power and no marking on the other. I re-read the manual and it says the power plug should only fit in one port so this idea is probably overkill.

I didn't know Enano tried a steel lining before, was it the expansion of the steel that caused the wood to split? I thought it would be an okay idea because of the vapman 2.0 design but I suppose the vapman lining shouldn't get as hot as the couchlog/Enano lining would.

I would still love to see a faster heat up time for the couchlog if it was possible somehow.

I was also wondering if there's a reason the sleeve only comes up to level with the heater. I feel like it could be extended a couple of mm over the top of the heater to reduce the risk of getting burnt by the heater if your skin brush across the top of the device while it was on.
I think the lines going from smaller to bigger is more than enough of a visual indicator to know which side to plug the power into, you plug it into the smaller (lower heat) side and the output comes from the bigger side; this is very intuitive feeling to me.

All the enanos are steel lined and its just a terrible design choice imo. It makes the log hotter to hold, decreases the lifespan of the wood through both expanding and also just by exposing the wood to higher temperatures for longer, and doesnt do anything for the performance. Its also ugly, imo. The vapman steel lined stem is not going to be exposed to heat for nearly as long or intensely as a log will, and even with the vapman i dont think its necesarrily a good idea for them to add the steel lining, althoug they are doing it anyway.

As for the sleeve being longer, i think that would lower its tolerance for use on a lot of bongs, and i doubt it would do much to improve safety. I have never had an issue with being burned by the CL. I can imagine that getting a longer sleeve would be certainly doable, one of the benefits of the removable sleeve design, but not sure its worth it for chris to go through making bigger sleeves if it doesnt lead to many tangible benefits and the demand for it is low.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I have never had an issue with being burned by the CL.
I have burned myself on the CL exactly once. I was deeply stoned and thought I saw a fleck of shake on the top of the heater. I reached over and wiped my finger across it. It did take me some time to realize what I had done.

Anyway, I think it would take a similar careless event to burn yourself with the current sleeve.

I am sure there are enhancements to be made to the CL, but I think there are changes suggested in this thread that would be a real downgrade.

simba

@weedanwine
After being asked to show a picture of how a bowl looks on level 3 at half filled with a steady not slow draw, I provided a picture of a charred bowl which was disgusting for both my mouth and head. I was told this wasn't alarming, and then this morning got a very long email basically telling me that my problems are down to technique.

As someone very experienced with a number of vapes, this doesn't sit well with me. I feel like I'm stuck now, the maker doesn't think there's an issue with my unit, yet most of you other Couchlog owners here do think there's an issue.

So even if I tried to sell my unit people will know it's a questionable one, so no-one is going to want to buy that at the price I'd want to tell it for. And I just have to live with a vape which whilst not terrible, is still a whole load of cash to pay on something that I'm not happy with.

Edit-Chris has said he'll take a return so that's the best course I think in this situation.

Last edited:

Chris@420Eng

Manufacturer
After being asked to show a picture of how a bowl looks on level 3 at half filled with a steady not slow draw, I provided a picture of a charred bowl which was disgusting for both my mouth and head. I was told this wasn't alarming, and then this morning got a very long email basically telling me that my problems are down to technique.

I wrote this please stay fair.

'I noticed in your video that you take prolonged draws from the vape.
This results in unnecessarily extracting a lot of heat from the device.
Ideally, stop drawing as soon as no more vapor is produced.'

bestvaping

As someone very experienced with a number of vapes, this doesn't sit well with me. I feel like I'm stuck now, the maker doesn't think there's an issue with my unit, yet most of you other Couchlog owners here do think there's an issue.

So even if I tried to sell my unit people will know it's a questionable one, so no-one is going to want to buy that at the price I'd want to tell it for. And I just have to live with a vape which whilst not terrible, is still a whole load of cash to pay on something that I'm not happy with.

Edit-Chris has said he'll take a return so that's the best course I think in this situation.
Personally, I may be wrong (to err is human, no one is immune), it is difficult to make a remote diagnosis on this kind of product. With a mouthpiece and CL in position 3 with a full bowl (my aim here is not to extract everything in a single puff), I heat by turning the mouthpiece (using the fins on the wood), and thus move back and forth between the bowl and the CL while inhaling (like a car cigar lighter). Then, as it's a full bowl, I stir with the help of the funnel and repeat the above steps until the extraction is complete (I generally manage to get 4/5 tasty and cloud puffs without any burning, for a duration that generally does not exceed ten seconds).

So my technique is very different from yours. Here, you inhale it for 25 seconds without taking in any air (back and forth) and without turning the bowl during this time. Personally, I can't take such long puffs all at once (whether with the CL or another vaporizer), so I can't reproduce your technique. @TigoleBitties seems to use your technique (page 55, with its CL set at 3.5, he vaporize it for about 15 seconds) so he would be more apt to respond and tried out the technique for a longer period (for science, as he likes to say :p).

But, I find it strange that the connector detaches so easily from the controller and that it doesn't make contact when it protrudes just a few millimetres (that must be annoying indeed). In any case, if you think there's a real problem and Chris has offered you a return, you should consider it.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
For those wondering just how small the log actually is. It’s actually pretty sleek.

Wow. Up close your Kingwood is stunning. Really nice wood grain.

Also, I see you have a Firewood. I have been researching this guy and this may be my next portable. Could you DM me your thoughts on it?

On another note... Success with the 2.5mm to 2.1mm adapter and Ed's travel cable directly into the CL. No need for two temp controllers and it's compact and works great. I had to keep the dial strictly less than 4 to avoid combustion with the extra voltage (12V) though.
After being asked to show a picture of how a bowl looks on level 3 at half filled with a steady not slow draw, I provided a picture of a charred bowl which was disgusting for both my mouth and head.
Sorry to hear that. With my unit I don't think it's possible to char anything at level 3 although I've not tried excessive draws. I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible to get char with one draw at level 3 for me but all heaters are different.

As @bestvaping mentioned in my video with a DV on level 3.5, I can extract the bowl in one long (about 15s) draw but the roast was nice and golden brown with some darker brown highlights but no char. You seem like an experienced vaper so if you find you still can't get good results with changes to your draw then maybe it's best overall to send the unit back for a refund. I'm really sorry things haven't been working out. ☹

Texus

I also have issues with tunneling and it seems to happen regardless of draw technique. I think it's worse with the glass bowl because the surface area of the herb is wider than the heater air path.
Yeah, this is maybe the biggest downside of the CL that I've experienced (especially in contrast to the edge-to-edge even heating from my TKO, likely due to the diffuser as opposed to injector design). And I don't really see a way around a bit of tunneling due to the thickness of the metal lip surrounding the screen (which is maybe 2-3x thicker than the lip in my Enano XL). But this isn't a deal breaker for me personally. For stock stem there's probably also some metal-to-metal heat transfer that helps even things out at the edges via a bit of conduction heating.

And the other Couchlog strengths keep it in the regular rotation, not to mention the beauty of the CL and its matching PSU.

simba

@weedanwine
I wrote this please stay fair.

'I noticed in your video that you take prolonged draws from the vape.
This results in unnecessarily extracting a lot of heat from the device.
Ideally, stop drawing as soon as no more vapor is produced.'
Yes you did, you also said other things but I'm not here to argue. I'm happy that you're taking a return so I'll leave it at that.

@TigoleBitties - the charring at level 3 wasn't from an "excessive draw" I was instructed to take a lung full with no slow drawing which is what I did.

I thought I read earlier in the thread that you can make the screens yourself (can be mistaken here).
So, can anyone get me up to speed: How do I make the screens myself? Is there a tool for it, or is it not possible?

Thanks.

Bahama_Mama_please,

BreadStick

I thought I read earlier in the thread that you can make the screens yourself (can be mistaken here).
So, can anyone get me up to speed: How do I make the screens myself? Is there a tool for it, or is it not possible?

Thanks.
I'm not aware of any way to make the screens Chris sells by yourself but 13mm screens can be used instead. I haven't had to use a 13mm screen yet but I don't think they fit as well as the OEM ones, hopefully someone else knows better and can tell you. It would be cool if a screen making tool like the one lamart sell was available. I think the pressed screens would be a bit uglier bc of the screen having to fold on itself to take the pressed shape but if it the screens fit well I'd take it over having to order from Germany every time I need new screens!

Last edited:
BreadStick,
Top Bottom