CCA Liger banger V3.0

graydeh1

REP for TRVP ATTY, Shellshock/Tectonic and more.
Company Rep
Cool. Looks like I'll grab that Banger with the SIC insert ,anyone want to talk me out of that ;)
Thanks a tonne.

Actually it looks like obsidian it will be.

Last edited:

Heatmiser

I recently received my first Liger 3.0. I'm trying to get the essentials together for using and maintaining it. Can anyone recommend the best tool for removing and reinserting the 20mm inserts? Any other additional handy tools you recommend for best enjoying my new Liger? I already have a nice titanium dab tool. I'm waiting on a new Hex-nail to power it...

The Obsidian inserts are not on sale right now. Are they really 2-3 times better than the SiCs or should I just grab some extra SiCs and save a bunch?
Thanks!

Heatmiser,

Bullshift

Well, thanks to the immense amount of information on this thread from you helpful folks, I found myself ordering a V3 Liger Bundle Pack CCA has on sale right now.

For the most part, I thought I had found answers to all my questions somewhere in the depths of this thread, but after continuing to read, re-read, and compare opinions and photos... A sliver of doubt appeared in my mind. Not about the Liger itself, but the 30mm flat coil version.

I don't and ideally will not be taking very large dabs. I don't know what is considered microdab territory around here, but I'd say I usually hover at or just below 0.05g/dab. From time to time I'll toss in a .1 or .2, but not primarily.

From what I'm reading, the ID of an insert to the 30mm/Flat coil is 25.5mm.
I realise a 25.5mm surface is overkill in my case, but I'm wondering if it's to the point I'm just going to be upset with myself for not picking up the smaller, 20mm version?

With the sale price taken into account, switching over would be an additional $70 as well as the loss of the Tsunami cap/dabber - as I would prefer to use a clear cap eventually anyhow, that part doesn't bother me much. Many people here have expressed their difficulty tracking down a cap that properly seals the 30mm, though I did see one user say that supposedly the Terp Turners will cover bangers up to 45mm and aren't deep at all.

Cosmetically speaking, I much prefer the 30mm - both in terms of the products aesthetic and the ability to more clearly see the the product vaporize. Keep trying to remind myself that's not what this purchase is about though. It's about me hating torch based systems, as well as regular eNails. Beyond stoked to get onto a Liger, just hesitant about which to go with.

TL;DR:

Ordered 30mm Liger. I take small dabs. Am I going to suffer immensely for not going with a 20mm instead? Is the experience ruined by microdabbing a 30mm?

Thanks for all the amazing information in this thread, been a huge help. Hope you all had a safe and warm Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year... I now have a reason to :clap:

KimDracula

I don't think you'll have problems with the 30mm even if the 20mm might be a bit more efficient (some say so but I don't think it's a huge difference). I'm sure its worth saving the money.

I don't think you should have much trouble with caps. I've never had trouble with the Storm Cell. The Tsunami should work fine. If there's a seal and restricted airflow it should perform great.

Enjoy!

Bullshift

I don't think you'll have problems with the 30mm even if the 20mm might be a bit more efficient (some say so but I don't think it's a huge difference). I'm sure its worth saving the money.

I don't think you should have much trouble with caps. I've never had trouble with the Storm Cell. The Tsunami should work fine. If there's a seal and restricted airflow it should perform great.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the extra info Kim.

After a ridiculous amount of deliberation I decided that even if I have to spend the extra money and don't quite like the aesthetic of it as much... the 20mm is ultimately the unit that I'll likely be happiest on. I shot an e-mail off to CCA explaining my situation, seeing if I'm able to change my order to a 20mm in Silver or Rainbow, with an Obsidian insert, and no dabber/cap.

With any luck and some good grace by the team over there, I'll be able to spend close to the same as I am on the bundle. The purchase + liking their pages was enough for a $25 coupon code. Even the ability to use that would take the edge off a $125 insert. Jealous of anyone who manage to grab a SiC insert at the sale price before they went out of stock :lol:

I personally like translucent carb caps, which is the only reason I'm not about what they offer.

Heatmiser

AAAAGGHHHHHHH... so while I was busy deliberating and inquiring about insert types they sold clear out of the SiC inserts! Totally kicking myself now...

Heatmiser,

Heatmiser

So I got a dropdown adapter to help protect my piece while dabbing and help trap reclaim and keep it from infiltrating the main piece. I've recently noticed from videos pics that not many folks seem to use these with the Liger. What gives? Is it unnecessary overkill? Does the Liger not allow reclaim to pass through? Should I forgo the pre-cooler/ash catcher stage of my rig as well?

Last edited:
Heatmiser,
So I got a dropdown adapter to help protect my piece while dabbing and help trap reclaim and keep it from infiltrating the main piece. I've recently noticed from videos pics that not many folks seem to use these with the Liger. What gives? Is it unnecessary overkill? Does the Liger not allow reclaim to pass through? Should I forgo the pre-cooler/ash catcher stage of my rig as well?

I have a drop down. I think the Liger does a great job keeping the joint cool but it definitely keeps your rig cleaner.

scalescliffs,

matthend

Well, thanks to the immense amount of information on this thread from you helpful folks, I found myself ordering a V3 Liger Bundle Pack CCA has on sale right now.

For the most part, I thought I had found answers to all my questions somewhere in the depths of this thread, but after continuing to read, re-read, and compare opinions and photos... A sliver of doubt appeared in my mind. Not about the Liger itself, but the 30mm flat coil version.

I don't and ideally will not be taking very large dabs. I don't know what is considered microdab territory around here, but I'd say I usually hover at or just below 0.05g/dab. From time to time I'll toss in a .1 or .2, but not primarily.

I realise a 25.5mm surface is overkill in my case, but I'm wondering if it's to the point I'm just going to be upset with myself for not picking up the smaller, 20mm version?

With the sale price taken into account, switching over would be an additional $70 as well as the loss of the Tsunami cap/dabber - as I would prefer to use a clear cap eventually anyhow, that part doesn't bother me much. Many people here have expressed their difficulty tracking down a cap that properly seals the 30mm, though I did see one user say that supposedly the Terp Turners will cover bangers up to 45mm and aren't deep at all.

Cosmetically speaking, I much prefer the 30mm - both in terms of the products aesthetic and the ability to more clearly see the the product vaporize. Keep trying to remind myself that's not what this purchase is about though. It's about me hating torch based systems, as well as regular eNails. Beyond stoked to get onto a Liger, just hesitant about which to go with.

TL;DR:

Ordered 30mm Liger. I take small dabs. Am I going to suffer immensely for not going with a 20mm instead? Is the experience ruined by microdabbing a 30mm?

Thanks for all the amazing information in this thread, been a huge help. Hope you all had a safe and warm Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year... I now have a reason to :clap:

I was in a pretty similar situation as you as the wife and I both normally do small dabs (never took the time to measure exactly how much), and had went back and forth between the 20 and the 30mm. I ended up with the 30mm and while the size of the dish is definitely overkill for my average dab, it really is the picture of efficiency and I would choose the 30mm again given the choice. The tsunami works like a champ and is super simple once you get the airflow right for your rig and temp, and if you like to tinker/play with the cap a bit there are a multitude of glass options out there.
So if you cant get your order changed to the 20mm, do not fret. I dont think the 30mm will disappoint you in the microdabbing realm, it sure has made me a believer!

nickmo

I've been using the Sapphire for a few weeks now and I love the performance. I still have lingering questions about cleaning though. I do a pretty good job at maintaining, but every now and then I will still get some slight overflow and am still looking for some advice on how to completely clean.

Overflow would happen on my SiC too, I just wouldn't notice until I broke everything down to clean every week. The inside of the insert would be very clean, but I'd have some almost shiny residue on the outside of the insert still. With the SiC I would just torch the outside of it until clean while the Liger parts soaked in ISO and I would be good as new. I

I've got the same situation with the Sapphire every now and then, except now the insert is clear and I can see it when it occurs and builds up. I am scared to torch the expensive Sapphire as I did with the SiC. I have tried to soak in distilled water as recommended here, and then ISO overnight. It didn't help that much. This isn't exactly black carbon, it is like some dark brown baked on residue. I do a few repetitive soaks and try to rub with a paper towel to get some off, but it isn't perfect.

Any advice out there? I just don't want to damage the expensive insert so I have been hesitant to try anything else. Would it be safe to torch like the SiC? What about some sort of abrasive/scour pad to rub at the residue? Or is it only me even bothered by this!

CCA directions:
INSERTS:
Use 2 Q-tips (both sides) after every dab! This is key as it will keep the insert very clean overall; just be sure to wipe/scrub before the oil turns black and starts to turn hard!

Consistent maintenance is key to cleaning the inserts as they experience the most wear-and-tear. When dabbing, keep your temperatures low: this way, you will be able to soak up the excess oil in the dish after each dab with a clean Q-tip. Temperatures that are too high will result in a dry, carbon “crust” building up in the bucket that can not be wiped out with a Q-tip.

REMOVING THE “CRUST”
Easiest and Most Efficient Way to Clean all Inserts:
  1. Find/Buy 2 eye-drop containers, fill 1 with distilled water & the other with 91%+ ISO
  2. With all your equipment installed (like you would have it if you were taking a dab), turn your E-nail down to 225° F
  3. Grab a stack of Q-Tips! You will need them handy for the next step
  4. Once the E-nail is at 225°, take your Distilled water dropper & carefully apply 1 drop at a time directly into the insert (Be-careful! It likes to quickly overfill!) {USE Q-TIPS IN CASE OF OVERFLOW}
  5. Once the water is almost finished boiling inside the insert, apply a single drop of ISO into the insert
  6. Scrub clean with your Q-tip before the ISO evaporates
  7. Repeat steps 4 – 6 as necessary. (I usually repeat it 2 or 3 times)
  8. Enjoy your perfectly clean surface!
[\quote]

nickmo,

KimDracula

I would try something slightly abrasive like some fine-grain steel wool. I bet that would take the residue off the outside of the insert right away.

KimDracula,

Gn0sis

I've been using the Sapphire for a few weeks now and I love the performance. I still have lingering questions about cleaning though. I do a pretty good job at maintaining, but every now and then I will still get some slight overflow and am still looking for some advice on how to completely clean.

Overflow would happen on my SiC too, I just wouldn't notice until I broke everything down to clean every week. The inside of the insert would be very clean, but I'd have some almost shiny residue on the outside of the insert still. With the SiC I would just torch the outside of it until clean while the Liger parts soaked in ISO and I would be good as new. I

I've got the same situation with the Sapphire every now and then, except now the insert is clear and I can see it when it occurs and builds up. I am scared to torch the expensive Sapphire as I did with the SiC. I have tried to soak in distilled water as recommended here, and then ISO overnight. It didn't help that much. This isn't exactly black carbon, it is like some dark brown baked on residue. I do a few repetitive soaks and try to rub with a paper towel to get some off, but it isn't perfect.

Any advice out there? I just don't want to damage the expensive insert so I have been hesitant to try anything else. Would it be safe to torch like the SiC? What about some sort of abrasive/scour pad to rub at the residue? Or is it only me even bothered by this!

CCA directions:

Set controller to 850F - 900F for 20 minutes. Will be good as new. I do this with my 30mm sapphire all the time. No issues.

To prevent overflow in the future, consider buying an August Haus coil to improve efficiency or setting your temperatures higher, so more oil evaporates away instead of pooling and switch your carb cap so that it doesn't hit the insert at such an angle as to make the dab overflow.

Last edited:
Gn0sis,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum

CCA directions:

The sapphire setups are NOT for torching, too much thermal shock. I use some baking soda and distilled water and scrub with a qtip followed by a soak in more DW and a wipe with a paper towel and it has gotten everything off the Liger insert every time for me. Setting to a temp >850ish for a while should also work but it will possibly effect the color of your nail.

Bullshift

Seems I'm getting a 30mm whether I like it or not! :lol:

I never heard from CCA, however I received an e-mail 5mins ago from them saying my purchase has been shipped! Which is somewhat hilarious, given all the complaints I've heard about for how long it takes CCA to get products out the door, I figured I would have plenty of time to converse with them and sort out switching the 30mm for a 20mm. Shot them an email the morning after placing my order. I guess not as much time as I anticipated!

As I type this, I'm unboxing the 20mm coil/eNail I picked up for it :|

I was very prepared to not be using my Liger until late January or even into February, so even though the super duper quick shipping is nice to see - sucks to be me, LOL

For reference, I ordered late in the evening on the 25th. Shipped just now on the 28th. :shrug:

EDIT: I may just add that I'm not outright upset, so hopefully no one sees this as just a whiney post. People here have made me pretty confident in either the 20 or 30mm versions, but dang I just know the 20mm is what I'm after.

EDIT EDIT: I shot an e-mail off to CCA just now to see what we can figure out as a solution. Really keen on the 20mm after hearing feedback from everyone here, so here's hoping it's all resolved with ease

Last edited:

lazylightning

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
So I just received another order from CCA710 and am disappointed with both my sapphire and obsidian inserts. The obsidian has a small bump in the middle of the dish that sticks out enough to feel easily when you run your nail over it. The sapphire dish isn't nearly as polished and uniform as the 30mm dish I was sent a couple weeks ago. The 20mm is scuffed all the way around with a pretty deep imperfection that you can easily see and feel on one side of the dish. I'm worried my $300 insert is going to crack at that point.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced either of these issues with their inserts?

lazylightning,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
I recently received my first Liger 3.0. I'm trying to get the essentials together for using and maintaining it. Can anyone recommend the best tool for removing and reinserting the 20mm inserts? Any other additional handy tools you recommend for best enjoying my new Liger? I already have a nice titanium dab tool. I'm waiting on a new Hex-nail to power it...

The Obsidian inserts are not on sale right now. Are they really 2-3 times better than the SiCs or should I just grab some extra SiCs and save a bunch?
Thanks!

Where did Obsidian being 2-3x better than SIC come from? In literally NO way is it 2x better......aside from maybe polish, but looking below, thats not even a sure thing to be better. I'm thinking TOPS maybe 10-15% better thermal conductivity and smaller grain size on the material.

IMO the best setup is the 14/18 F joint with a little male to male, all my reclaim gets caught on them via the vortex the air path seems to form and they keep things small and stable, much more so then actual "drop downs"

Seems I'm getting a 30mm whether I like it or not! :lol:

I never heard from CCA, however I received an e-mail 5mins ago from them saying my purchase has been shipped! Which is somewhat hilarious, given all the complaints I've heard about for how long it takes CCA to get products out the door, I figured I would have plenty of time to converse with them and sort out switching the 30mm for a 20mm. Shot them an email the morning after placing my order. I guess not as much time as I anticipated!

As I type this, I'm unboxing the 20mm coil/eNail I picked up for it :|

I was very prepared to not be using my Liger until late January or even into February, so even though the super duper quick shipping is nice to see - sucks to be me, LOL

For reference, I ordered late in the evening on the 25th. Shipped just now on the 28th. :shrug:

EDIT: I may just add that I'm not outright upset, so hopefully no one sees this as just a whiney post. People here have made me pretty confident in either the 20 or 30mm versions, but dang I just know the 20mm is what I'm after.

EDIT EDIT: I shot an e-mail off to CCA just now to see what we can figure out as a solution. Really keen on the 20mm after hearing feedback from everyone here, so here's hoping it's all resolved with ease

You have a real tracking number or just a place holder number? CCAs typical method is giving you a number that doesn't become live for a few days to a few weeks before any product leaves their doors.

So I just received another order from CCA710 and am disappointed with both my sapphire and obsidian inserts. The obsidian has a small bump in the middle of the dish that sticks out enough to feel easily when you run your nail over it. The sapphire dish isn't nearly as polished and uniform as the 30mm dish I was sent a couple weeks ago. The 20mm is scuffed all the way around with a pretty deep imperfection that you can easily see and feel on one side of the dish. I'm worried my $300 insert is going to crack at that point.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced either of these issues with their inserts?

Thats TRASH. I wouldn't accept that at all.

All the posts about CCAs refusal to ship sub standard products and all their quality assurances come to mind when we see crap like this.

lazylightning

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Thats TRASH. I wouldn't accept that at all.

All the posts about CCAs refusal to ship sub standard products and all their quality assurances come to mind when we see crap like this.

Thanks for your confirmation. I already wrote them an email asking for replacement dishes. I also agree with you about SiC vs. Obsidian. I've been using both SiC and Obsidian for a while now and actually prefer my SiC dish as the surface is just a little bigger.

lazylightning,
Reactions: Bullshift

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Thanks for your confirmation. I already wrote them an email asking for replacement dishes. I also agree with you about SiC vs. Obsidian. I've been using both SiC and Obsidian for a while now and actually prefer my SiC dish as the surface is just a little bigger.

Yeah man there is no way thats acceptable for a product of this nature. Would they post those pics of the saph insert on their website as the product you'd receive for your money?? F no they wouldn't, there is no way thats not going to be effected by thermal stress, and the Obsidian just looks horrible....especially in context that Obsidian polish > Tier 1 SIC polish > OG SIG "polish"/sacred G

Bullshift

You have a real tracking number or just a place holder number? CCAs typical method is giving you a number that doesn't become live for a few days to a few weeks before any product leaves their doors.

That seems to be the case.
There's no info on the tracking number as of yet. So with any luck, I'll hear from them soon and be on my way to having a 20mm setup by the end of January :)

Bullshift,

Bullshift

Hmmm.. No dice from CCA.
Here is what I got from them
Dustin thank you for the email. The liger bundle was only for the flat coil liger. I talked with the owner as many people want to swap items out but I have been told this is the current bundle. We cannot swap anything out. Please let me know if you have any other questions :)

I'm still fairly adamant about getting the 20mm instead, so I'll be speaking with them further to try and find some common ground. It's unfortunate though, being made to order I thought it'd be simpler. Ah well

I e-mailed back to see if I can switch out the insert only for a 20mm one, then snag a Rainbow 20mm bucket in addition to my bundle. Then I'll have both, less the 30mm insert, and I won't have to deal with extra S&H I'll otherwise have to.

Really hoping something can be arranged. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.

TL;DR:

I am a micro micro dabber on the Liger. I have the 30 mm and the 20 mm in both Sapphire and SiC.
As far as I'm concerned they both work very well but I prefer the 30mm because it's easier to work with.
You will be happy with your 30mm choice.

Bullshift

@Bullshift , you have a flat coil also right? Just making sure you have everything you need when the 30 arrives

I actually didn't even have an eNail at all prior to finding out about the Liger. They've never been worth their while, for myself, until now.

So I went ahead and initially changed my eNail order from a High5 w/ Flat coil to a High5 w/ 20mm barrel.

That shipped and arrived just yesterday, but after unboxing it and giving it a once over... Back it goes! The build quality left something to be desired, and having to buy their coils turned me off.

So late last night I said fuck it, and off and ordered myself a Hex-Nail HN-02 with a flat coil. I don't think CCA is going to budge on this one, so I'm just going to roll with the 30mm bucket until a sale comes along down the road for the 20mm bucket/inserts. Or the V4s. We'll see.

Top Bottom