Arizer Solo

Vaperlock

Vaperlock said:
steiner666 said:
Well just got my solo today. Hits like a beast but tastes and smells like a robot fart. Smells like a soldering workstation, like hot flux or something. The taste is very detectable, even over the taste of fresh herb. Has a "i just licked a circuitboard" kind of aftertaste.

Someone reassure me that this isnt a problem with all solos and my sense of smell and taste is just way above average. Cause i want there to be the possibility of getting one of these awesome-hitting vapes without the unpleasant stench and taste.

I've been trying to run the thing on max temp for almost a whole battery charge (holy hell it does last a while doesnt it?) to see if it goes away, but it may have lessened, but its still clearly present.

Suggestions?

Dude....

I totally feel your pain. I originally purchased the Wispr and it does have a weird taste. It's not organic it seems a bit like rubber or silicone possibly from the tip. Keep in mind I'm sensitive and I want something close to perfect which in my opinion is my MFLB hands down!

I purchased the stainless steel solo which "dog gone it" has a similar taste like what you said of being a soldering iron heating up. I'm really tired of paying all this money when 99 dollars on the MFLB is as close to the holy Grail as possible. Seriously.

Guys, let's not rationalize and just call a spade a spade. If you're tasting something foreign, too much heat, confined draw pressure then it's not happy camping. Lets sell all of our vapes and stick with the MFLB.. I know its my opinion but I'm a pro LOL
Here's my lineup:

Aeromed 3.0 = Excellent not perfect as it is bulky and needs a lot of herb
Wispr = Funky taste, breathing in co2 or ?
Solo = Funky taste, hot air, restricted air flow
MFLB = PERFECT **Ahhhhhhhh**

Vaperlock,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Posting it once will do mate :p

Sinclue said:
OhTheAgony said:
Arizer said 5 yes, but Vapelexus measured 20. It's all in the thread mate.

But didn't Arizer agree that his unit was defective and agreed to send him a replacement after viewing his video?

Nope, that wasn't Vapelexus, that was VapeNstone.

OhTheAgony,

Vaperlock

OhTheAgony said:
Posting it once will do mate :p

Do you really think I meant to post it twice? It was switch bounce and I couldn't see how to del it...

Geez

Sinclue said:
OhTheAgony said:

But didn't Arizer agree that his unit was defective and agreed to send him a replacement after viewing his video?

Nope, that wasn't Vapelexus, that was VapeNstone.

Vaperlock,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
No, it looks like you accidentally quoted yourself when you were trying to edit your post, hence the emoticon.

No big deal man, lets not waste anymore thread space about it.

OhTheAgony,

vape4life

Banned for life
I'd bet my SS solo that there isn't anything wrong with yours. Mine is exactly the same in that it heats up MUCH faster than my ceramic... I posted times many pages back. I too think that the SS is only about 5 centigrade cooler, and am usually 1 notch higher than ceramic.

I now much prefer the 4 hole stems...not just for airflow, but the clouds are bigger. I'm also really starting to dig the SS more and am even wondering if it produces bigger clouds than the ceramic? Bigger maybe albeit slightly more airy. The battery life of the SS in my experience is much worse than the ceramic.

Keep us posted of your new unit. If something is wrong with yours, then something is wrong with mine lol

VapeNStone said:
Well guys and gals. Kevin at Arizer finally emailed me back. Looks like I'm sending my unit in to get repaired or replaced because there is obviously someone wrong with it ;)

vape4life,
vape4life said:
I'd bet my SS solo that there isn't anything wrong with yours. Mine is exactly the same in that it heats up MUCH faster than my ceramic... I posted times many pages back. I too think that the SS is only about 5 centigrade cooler, and am usually 1 notch higher than ceramic.

I now much prefer the 4 hole stems...not just for airflow, but the clouds are bigger. I'm also really starting to dig the SS more and am even wondering if it produces bigger clouds than the ceramic? Bigger maybe albeit slightly more airy. The battery life of the SS in my experience is much worse than the ceramic.

Keep us posted of your new unit. If something is wrong with yours, then something is wrong with mine lol

VapeNStone said:
Well guys and gals. Kevin at Arizer finally emailed me back. Looks like I'm sending my unit in to get repaired or replaced because there is obviously someone wrong with it ;)
No I don't think so. Did you even watch my video? Mine is obviously the fastest heating up solo in the world or there is an issue. I'm mailing it back on Monday

VapeNStone,

vaplexus

Sinclue said:
OhTheAgony said:

My experience is closer to what Arizer says (5C). I bump up my stainless one "dot". Usually heat the SS to 5 and drop to 4 when I start hitting...Ceramic heating up to 4 then dropping to 3 for the hits.

no. that was someone else's solo, not mine. mine work fine and the SS is 20C cooler at all settings pretty much dead on.

vaplexus,

MG23

Relaxin'
vaplexus said:
all 4 holes have an associated channel and are isolated from air getting in any other way.

I'm not sure this is true. Pack a stem and put it in the solo and turn it on. Blow through the bottom and vapor will be produced and come out the top of the tube as you blow. If the 4 air passages that send the hot air through the herb were truly isolated from the bottom section than no hot air should be passing through the content of the tube.

I personally believe any taste/smell is being transferred from the bottom section when heated, whether it be residue on/in the shell of the unit or somehow from the electronics themselves.

MG23,

Phineas T. Freakears

ilovebOObs said:
does anyone have a pic of the ac adapter? and specs? maybe we can find a cheaper alternative for it.

Here are the specs read from the AC Adapter:

QILI POWER
MODEL: QL-09005-B0855000F
INPUT: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 1.5A
OUTPUT: 8.5V 5000mA
LISTED 56HG E239831

Phineas T. Freakears,

vape4life

Banned for life
Ofcourse I watched the video, and what I'm saying is that my SS m105 heats up just as fast as yours, yet works fine. So IMO your replacement will heat up just as fast. If it doesn't I guess I'll be contacting arizer again. The battery life is atrocious on my new SS.

Like the EQ, the air path must go through the electronics. I blow into the bottom and there definitely is airflow out the top so it's not isolated as was mentioned.

Wish there were more mflb comparisons to the solo as I think I wanna switch to that. Then again I keep seeing you love it or hate it, much like the solo I suppose.

Has anyone compared the weight of the SS vs. ceramic? I think the SS feels lighter.

VapeNStone said:
vape4life said:

VapeNStone said:
No I don't think so. Did you even watch my video? Mine is obviously the fastest heating up solo in the world or there is an issue. I'm mailing it back on Monday

vape4life,

Greenscreen

vape4life said:
Wish there were more mflb comparisons to the solo as I think I wanna switch to that. Then again I keep seeing you love it or hate it, much like the solo I suppose.

The MFLB and solo are different animals, if real stealth is what your after like using it in the cinema or the pub then yeah the launchbox is for you, especially if your looking for something with a healthy vapor path, that produces good tasting vapor. However in terms of cloud production on the move then the solo is a much more powerful tool that will create clouds. The MFLB will give you a nice underground stealthy tasty healthy hit on the move but in terms of raw power and cloud production the solo is far superior.

I wouldn't use my solo in the cinema because its not as stealth, the launchbox would be the vape to use there, but if i was going to a friends house or to the park for the day then the solo would be the vape to use because you can have a very big session and there is little to no learning curve when passing the solo to a friend.

In summary if you are health conscious and want an on the move stealth hit with no one knowing your getting high then the LB is the way to go. If your looking for more like a portable desktop vape which is powerful and probably superior in cloud production which would be better suited for taking round a friends for the day then the solo is more for you, although you have to take into account the teething problems the solo has encountered because you don't wanna receive a smelly solo that is for sure!

Greenscreen,

pain101

yea i was kinda wrong about my river analogy. specifically one can find a piece of shit chinese ANYTHING off ebay.. lol personally i will never buy another thing from ebay that comes from a seller based in china ever again. 10 times out of 10 times that i have, i have been sorely disappointed and or but not limited to having the thing break within a months worth of use, whatever it may have been. if you can get your hands on a good voltage regulator (check out texas instruments for their free samples!!! its just a matter of resistance to bring down your amps from something like an ATX supply) im no expert and its been a while since ive been down in the math, so i need to do some refreshing before i make ANY attempt. lol and still dont have a multimeter so i wont be trying anything till that happens. of course i wont because this is musings for entertainment value only.

i have found that my tube attachment to my busted stem is extremely effective in terms of browning the material within only a few pulls compared to the really hot short air path of the regular stem.

pain101,

Vaperlock

By the way you can attach the whip extension for the LB for the solo if you want. I have a brand-new solo that is stainless steel in the custom hard case. I paid less than $200 for everything including case.

I still say the LB is by far the best vaporizer regardless. You can make big clouds with the LB. Just look on YouTube and there are different techniques either by sipping or an extension like a glass water pipe.

I don't know if I'll ever use my brand-new solo sitting 2 feet from me. My new LB has a click lid that's a brand-new design which is smart. My new LB really works much better than my one that was one-year-old that had issues and was sent back.

I really think I would sell my solo

Vaperlock,

vaplexus

I have almost completely disassembled the solo and i can assure you that the airflow path is isolated from the rest of the unit except where the air enters the channels on the outside of the crucible. there the air enters, its possible that air from inside the unit will flow in. it also seems the source of the smell is the area just under the head.

when i smell directly in the crucible i also smell the electronics smell. its possible its the smell of the heater. usually with these kinds of smells, they will eventually go away. i do notice on my solos the smell is getting less and less.

i don't think there is a simple solution other than to just tolerate it and keep using the solo until it goes away. so buyers beware: there is indeed an electronics smell and if you are sensitive to "bad" smells you might want to try out the solo first before you buy it or buy it from a place that will allow you to return it.

(i personally am 100% fine with the smell. for me its very mild and i do not taste it in my vape. as such the solo is working great for me.)

vaplexus,

steiner666

Serial vapist
For anyone who's looking for a cheap case to transport the solo around in:

http://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-3x5-Index-Black-VZ01169/dp/B000WA6UHA (you can also find it in walmart near the school supplies and such)

41tynYRaVuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you kept the foam pieces that your solo arrived in (i should hope so), it fits perfectly in this box. What i do is put the solo in its place in the foam, and then put the stem in the area next to that where the charger was when i unpacked it. Then stick it in the case, and there will be enough room on the one side for you to stick the charger, between the foam and the inside of the case. The foam is just slightly bigger than the inside of the case so once you close the lid it is held in place tightly.

If only the lock on it was a bit stronger... but oh well it works. When not being used for transporting the solo, it makes for a nice container to stash stuff like my grinder, fresh herb and abv canisters, solo stems, i have my zap stemholder in there with zap stems too.

steiner666,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Nice find Steiner!

Would you happen to know something similar for the 250ml Ehle perhaps? I've bought a smaller bong to take with me on travels but I don't like using it at all and would rather bring the Ehle along at all times. Atm I just wrap it in a hoodie and but it in a back pack with nothing else in it, but that's not a very safe way to travel on a motorcycle. I've got a couple of 48L side cased with plenty of space in 'm, but I don't want the tube moving around in them without some proper protection.

OhTheAgony,

steiner666

Serial vapist
OhTheAgony said:
Nice find Steiner!

Would you happen to know something similar for the 250ml Ehle perhaps? I've bought a smaller bong to take with me on travels but I don't like using it at all and would rather bring the Ehle along at all times. Atm I just wrap it in a hoodie and but it in a back pack with nothing else in it, but that's not a very safe way to travel on a motorcycle. I've got a couple of 48L side cased with plenty of space in 'm, but I don't want the tube moving around in them without some proper protection.

nah, i dont. but if you find anything that works well for it, let me know! i'd definitely be interested in something like this for the tube. I remember the SSV website had bags for glass, but nothing hardshell, which is what i would want. Maybe some sort of instrument case with custom-cut foam inserts... just gotta think of an instrument thats about the same size as the tube roughly.... with the larger circumference of the flared-out base on it, its probably going to be a brass instrument case or something, i dont think a flute case would work... maybe a clarinet or something? Ukulele? lol

steiner666,
vape4life said:
Ofcourse I watched the video, and what I'm saying is that my SS m105 heats up just as fast as yours, yet works fine. So IMO your replacement will heat up just as fast. If it doesn't I guess I'll be contacting arizer again. The battery life is atrocious on my new SS.

Like the EQ, the air path must go through the electronics. I blow into the bottom and there definitely is airflow out the top so it's not isolated as was mentioned.

Has anyone compared the weight of the SS vs. ceramic? I think the SS feels lighter.

VapeNStone said:
vape4life said:

Well if you watched the video I don't understand how your coming to the conclusion that yours heats up just as fast? I watched your video and sent it along with mine to Arizer and it is obvious that yours does infact not heat up just as fast as mine, which is why I had the issue?? Your SS is slightly ahead of your ceramic which is what is should be. Not like my SS which heats up almost a full minute before my ceramic. I can tell that you are most likely a smart guy from your post, but you sure are coming off dumb right now.

VapeNStone,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
steiner666 said:
OhTheAgony said:
Nice find Steiner!

nah, i dont. but if you find anything that works well for it, let me know! i'd definitely be interested in something like this for the tube. I remember the SSV website had bags for glass, but nothing hardshell, which is what i would want. Maybe some sort of instrument case with custom-cut foam inserts... just gotta think of an instrument thats about the same size as the tube roughly.... with the larger circumference of the flared-out base on it, its probably going to be a brass instrument case or something, i dont think a flute case would work... maybe a clarinet or something? Ukulele? lol

Will do.

Instrument cases are usually expensive, but I could keep an eye out for used ones. I do like the looks of the shape of a clarinet or soprano sax case. I've checked out a few camera cases which looked like they would work (Vangaurd was the brand I believe), but they are rather expensive. A little over the price of a 250 + diffused downstem, which felt kinda silly to me somehow. A larger one could fit the Solo as well as the tube + my Iroda PT-220 & some other paraphernalia like stems, charger & Vapo Bowls though, so perhaps I'll just go that route if it fits in my bike-case. Not sure how a customs officer would look at a case like that when getting checked at a border crossing though, lmao.

OhTheAgony,

MG23

Relaxin'
vaplexus said:
I have almost completely disassembled the solo and i can assure you that the airflow path is isolated from the rest of the unit except where the air enters the channels on the outside of the crucible. there the air enters, its possible that air from inside the unit will flow in.

Please explain this then.

Pack a stem and put it in the solo and turn it on. Blow through the bottom holes of the unit and vapor will be produced and come out the top of the stem as you blow. If the 4 air passages that send the hot air through the herb were truly isolated from the bottom section than no hot air should be passing through them over the contents of the stem, right?

MG23,

pain101

HACKED ATX POWER SUPPLY WITH DIGITAL DISPLAY

as you can see he had it running at 8.7 and the load resistor was keeping the load maxed, which was at about 9amps,(5000ma being 5amps i believe)
so all you need is to tune that sucker to 8.5 exactly and the solo SHOULD take the amperage it needs. this is my theory anyways.

pain101,

vape4life

Banned for life
Lol I'M coming off as dumb? How baked are you? Lol you're obviously confusing me with vape4health or another member. I didn't make that vid but my solo reaches full temp 7 in like a minute similar to yours.

So your unit isn't the only one, that's all dude.

VapeNStone said:
vape4life said:

VapeNStone said:
Well if you watched the video I don't understand how your coming to the conclusion that yours heats up just as fast? I watched your video and sent it along with mine to Arizer and it is obvious that yours does infact not heat up just as fast as mine, which is why I had the issue?? Your SS is slightly ahead of your ceramic which is what is should be. Not like my SS which heats up almost a full minute before my ceramic. I can tell that you are most likely a smart guy from your post, but you sure are coming off dumb right now.

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
Agreed +1. Very easy to test even without herb. You can feel the warm air out the top if u blow in the bottom. That proves it no?

MattyGTwenty3 said:
vaplexus said:
I have almost completely disassembled the solo and i can assure you that the airflow path is isolated from the rest of the unit except where the air enters the channels on the outside of the crucible. there the air enters, its possible that air from inside the unit will flow in.

Pack a stem and put it in the solo and turn it on. Blow through the bottom holes of the unit and vapor will be produced and come out the top of the stem as you blow. If the 4 air passages that send the hot air through the herb were truly isolated from the bottom section than no hot air should be passing through them over the contents of the stem, right?

vape4life,

vaplexus

MattyGTwenty3 said:
vaplexus said:

I will explain: the air is going from the inside of the unit, as you blow, more likely around the outside of the main chassis on the inside of the metal case, up into the head, over the top of the head and down into the air channels and then up through the crucible holes.

it wouldn't take much air force to create enough pressure to push the air in this path and hence vapour up into the mouthpiece.

But the main part of the airflow is likely going to be from inside the head case, through the top of the head, down through the channels and then up through the crucible.

If you could isolate the outer circumference of the head, ideally from the inside of the crucible opening, then you can block any air that would otherwise not be straight down from the outside world. it would require some kind of silicone sheet or wide tube.

Like I said in an earlier post, you could also try packing the lower part of the head, inside the case, with cotton to block the air flowing from inside when you inhale. if you could pack cotton all around the lower part of the head and all around the head inside the upper case, then you would be doing a good job blocking air flowing in except straight down the opening and through the crucible. if i had some cotton balls i'd try it.

vaplexus,
Top Bottom