Arizer Solo

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
VaporEyeSore said:
I just seen this Solo on ebay and wanted to pass it by you guys. Its new stainless bowl 2 tubes (not sure if one is straight 3 hole or not) and it claims to have a 110/240v transformer implying it will work in US and EU without an invertor.
This comes in at about 120 with free shipping and a probable extra 20 duty fee but 140 for a stainless bowl Solo seems like a no brainer to me so whats the catch? Are these ebay items still under full manufacturers warranty? Does the transformer work for both voltages and i will just need a cheap adaptor or will I have to buy a 220 to 110 invertor aswell?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280767281845?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

VaporEyeSore, no catch and the power supply is regulated, so it will work fine with a 50p adaptor. Your customs will be a bit higher than that though with VAT@ 20% (24) plus the 'handling fee' robbery which is either 7 if it's Royal Mail, or if it's an express service or above a certain sized package it's Parcelforce which is 13.50. My warranty replacement was handled by parcelforce :mad:

When you add it all up it's not really any more expensive to get one from Vaposhop in the EU using the FC discount (~152) - plus you don't have to wait for customs clearance which delays the package considerably; Arizer sent my replacement via costly 3-4 day express world wide shipping but with customs delays and fee processing it took 13 days to get to me, versus just 4 or 5 days from the Vaposhop in the Netherlands.

WatTyler,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think Vaposhop doesn't have the SS version yet. After the latest reports on that one I'd rather have the ceramic version though, but that's a mater of personal preference and totally depends on what temps you like to vape at.

I recently removed the domed screen from my stem & I'm falling in love with my Solo again all over. Man, such clouds.. :brow:

It does look like my M102 is starting to chip though. Not entirely sure, but there may be a little spec of ceramic missing right in the center of the bowl. I don't really care though, if it gets worse I'll just grind it all off but for now I'm gonna keep using it without giving a fuck.

OhTheAgony,

pain101

guys, 9volts/8.5volts. thats not the important number, the 5000ma is... THATS ALOTA CURRENT!!!
this is why simply plugging in random 9volts wont work as you are only gonna get a few hundred milliamps from a regular 9volt power supply. the key is getting that super boost of current.

think of it like a river, the heating element being the basin thats catching the water.

if the basin is big, it will take a lot of water to fill right, so you want that FLOW to be really strong.
if the basin is small(like your average hand held device would be) then its only going to take a tiny flow, AND that huge flow needed to fill the big basin will wipe out the smaller one!!

if you can find 9 volts at 5000ma you are golden, BUT you should get a multimeter testing on it first if you are not buying it stock as they can vary, then you could add a simple resistor to the power or variable resistor to dial it down to the exact voltage with ease and safety.

power is power, and as long as you arent buying a cheap chinese piece of shit, theres really not much difference aside from voltage variances with the wall warts. and to be extra safe a simple fuse can be attached to the wire of the power with no skill required!!!!

This issue of being forced to buy a new adaptor or pay ridiculous amounts IS an issue of us being slightly shafted from a pure engineering point of view but theres only so much you can do with money

pain101,

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
pain101 said:
guys, 9volts/8.5volts. thats not the important number, the 5000ma is... THATS ALOTA CURRENT!!!
this is why simply plugging in random 9volts wont work as you are only gonna get a few hundred milliamps from a regular 9volt power supply. the key is getting that super boost of current.

think of it like a river, the heating element being the basin thats catching the water.

if the basin is big, it will take a lot of water to fill right, so you want that FLOW to be really strong.
if the basin is small(like your average hand held device would be) then its only going to take a tiny flow, AND that huge flow needed to fill the big basin will wipe out the smaller one!!

if you can find 9 volts at 5000ma you are golden, BUT you should get a multimeter testing on it first if you are not buying it stock as they can vary, then you could add a simple resistor to the power or variable resistor to dial it down to the exact voltage with ease and safety.

power is power, and as long as you arent buying a cheap chinese piece of shit, theres really not much difference aside from voltage variances with the wall warts. and to be extra safe a simple fuse can be attached to the wire of the power with no skill required!!!!

This issue of being forced to buy a new adaptor or pay ridiculous amounts IS an issue of us being slightly shafted from a pure engineering point of view but theres only so much you can do with money

Pain, while I agree with your river analogy, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought voltage was the the flow or the speed (push) of the river where as amperage was the size of the river or the volume of electrons available to 'fill the bucket' so to speak. Other than that, I agree with what you've said.
BTW, where do you find 9v 5000ma power adapters that are not 'chinese POS'?

Papa Woody,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
pain101 said:

Indeed, I don't just go plugging random power suppliers here there and everywhere hoping for the best ;) It should have been well over the required current - a very large variable workshop supply which I think went up to 10A, and we decided there was no way on earth the heater was more than 90W.

At 9V it would only heat for a minute or so before turning off- maybe slightly longer than reported in the other example above. This was before the Arizer version had been released so we didn't think to try running it at 8.5V.

Instead my electronic expert friend speculated that it may have been due to the fact it was a switching supply which may have not been compatible, and that the Solo innards were designed for a 'coil transformer' input. But subsequently that doesn't seem to be the case, which lead me to speculate that there might be some little microchip in there that's designed to make that extra 0.5v important, and significantly reduces the number of alternative power supply options.

Or maybe to ensure it doesn't get too close to engaging the 12v charging circuit instead of the 8.5v heating one? But then the more I think about it the more I think that 0.5 of a volt seems a tiny margin to work with.

We even measured the power that was being drawn off by the Solo as it was heating- it wasn't anywhere near 5 amps- I don't actually think it peaked above 2A if I remember rightly. Iit was back in August, could have been a different value, but I an remember thinking that wattage wise it sounded sensible. I don't know what that means. Could the Solo have circuitry that won't allow the use of a different charger, even if the excess current is not required? Certainly the heater doesn't seem to require the full 45W potential provided by that supply- the batteries are only 7.2V 2200mAH (15 watts?). I'm no expert- is my reasoning sound?

It was only one test, and we didn't really 'play around' with input voltage/amperage as my Solo was was still very new and I was a little nervous of doing so. It could have been a dodgy test. I'll try again if I get the chance, but it won't be until Christmas.

WatTyler,

VaporEyeSore

Nice1 WatTyler thats some very handy info there much appriciated :)

Allthough now I am realy confused
OhTheAgony said:
I think Vaposhop doesn't have the SS version yet. After the latest reports on that one I'd rather have the ceramic version though, but that's a mater of personal preference and totally depends on what temps you like to vape at.

I recently removed the domed screen from my stem & I'm falling in love with my Solo again all over. Man, such clouds.. :brow:

It does look like my M102 is starting to chip though. Not entirely sure, but there may be a little spec of ceramic missing right in the center of the bowl. I don't really care though, if it gets worse I'll just grind it all off but for now I'm gonna keep using it without giving a fuck.

should i go for a new version with SS or the ceramic one and risk peeling. I will probably be using it at higher temps as i do normaly with my ssv. I thought i had also read that the ss model had better air flow which i think would suit me.

VaporEyeSore,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
From what I gather here the ceramic one seems to run about 20 degrees Celsius hotter, but in all fairness I've never used a SS version myself. I just know I wouldn't want to miss those last 20 degrees on mine myself, I really doubt if it could have replaced my SSV like it does now.

OhTheAgony,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
@VaporEyeStore:
Check our website bro' we have SS solos ;) but we are already discussing on other matters so if you want to add it to our mail discussion! ;)

FLskwat,

VaporEyeSore

FLskwat said:
@VaporEyeStore:
Check our website bro' we have SS solos ;) but we are already discussing on other matters so if you want to add it to our mail discussion! ;)

lol FLskwat very temping :)
do you do FC dicount too ? ;) I cant acualy see anything about them being the ss one but it is in French which im not great at. I see you have the new 3 hole tubes as well.

VaporEyeSore,

thecragus

OhTheAgony said:
From what I gather here the ceramic one seems to run about 20 degrees Celsius hotter, but in all fairness I've never used a SS version myself. I just know I wouldn't want to miss those last 20 degrees on mine myself, I really doubt if it could have replaced my SSV like it does now.

I thought Arizer said the difference was 5 degrees Celsius, not 20. I keep seeing the 20 degrees mentioned in this forum (and 5 also). Has someone found 20 to be correct? I have used both models and it seemed to me that you only have to move up one notch (for me, to setting 5 from 4) when using the SS model. I find he SS model's temp fluctuates more than my ceramic.

thecragus,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
so what settings do you guys start with? I start at 4 then end at 5. should i start lower? 5 get my avb brown already.

ilovebOObs,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
OhTheAgony said:
Arizer said 5 yes, but Vapelexus measured 20. It's all in the thread mate.

But didn't Arizer agree that his unit was defective and agreed to send him a replacement after viewing his video?

My experience is closer to what Arizer says (5C). I bump up my stainless one "dot". Usually heat the SS to 5 and drop to 4 when I start hitting...Ceramic heating up to 4 then dropping to 3 for the hits.

Sinclue,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
:o
Somewhat related: today marks the 45th anniversary of my "first" time getting high...Nov. 19, 1966

Think I'll head down to the dispensary for a special treat and raise my Solos in a toast! :cool:

:peace:

Sinclue,
Reactions: tonuzzi

vape4health

Here is the one I tried and it didn't work, when using it the Solo would heat up like normal until it got to temp, then it would cool all the way back down then just sit idle, turn it off then back on and the same thing. I haven't checked it with a DMM yet because I don't plan to use it. Ill just order the Arizer one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AC-ADAP...Accessories&hash=item335fa2d555#ht_500wt_1180

CAUTION I didn't change the plug,*******I used a 3/16" drill bit to remove the tiny bit needed to fit the stock Playstation plug*********dont drill your shit up then bitch at me later******* I removed the battery before drilling, I wasn't sure if shorting the female part would do harm but better safe then sorry.

I'm kicking around an idea about use something like a log heater assembly to keep the Solo up to or close to temp, it would be perfect for the home user. I would imagine using the 9v plug and my heater idea would turn this into an even more bad ass home vape. The heater could keep it up like 350F maybe 400F then the Solo would only need to give the temperature a final top off and it's ready to roll. This is just an idea, hard to tell if the Solo body will get saturated with heat and get too hot. I'll give it go when I have extra time, with a new baby that's a funny thing to say, extra time.

vape4health,

steven22

i have the choice of m103 or m104 same price...

should I just close my eyes and pick a random one?

also what do you guys think of the vapor blunt vs solo?...

steven22,

guitarscreamngrowler

solo dont charging doing one full 12 min cycle im smelling the bowl no bad smell yet. just did one bowl through it hell yes no smell no headache no chipping yet but so happy. i paid 275 an dont care got silver 103m that works

guitarscreamngrowler,

steiner666

Serial vapist
steven22 said:
i have the choice of m103 or m104 same price...

should I just close my eyes and pick a random one?

also what do you guys think of the vapor blunt vs solo?...

not sure which version of solo to recommend, kinda hard to do without arizer informing us what the specific differences even are.

and no chance of getting a good comparison between the solo and blunt. one is a somewhat proven product and one is a totally new product. and as far as i know, there currently aren't any forum members who have used both, let alone own both. So in the end your guess is as good as anyone's how they compare. From my observation, it seems the solo uses smaller amounts, has a longer battery life, and more temp settings with what seems to be a higher max than the vaporblunt. The vaporblunt does have the benefit of not needing you to transport around glass stems tho i guess... and that stir thing is pretty cool idea.

i dunno, on paper i think the solo wins. i'd love to be able to speak from experience though.

steiner666,

guitarscreamngrowler

ill review this bad boy, alright mine is a 103m silver. it was from a shop that deals direct with arizer. let me tell ya i turned it on let a full cycle go. an maybe a faint hot iron smell nothing really but it is over 300 degrees. taste is amazing on same par with extreme q, wow an the hits huge thick clouds from such a tiny device an let me tell ya, walking around the house freedom an the load size. barely any an cloud after cloud. im sorry to the guys that got ones that smell an chipped. this vaporizer right now is out of this world.

guitarscreamngrowler,

steiner666

Serial vapist
guitarscreamngrowler said:
ill review this bad boy, alright mine is a 103m silver. it was from a shop that deals direct with arizer. let me tell ya i turned it on let a full cycle go. an maybe a faint hot iron smell nothing really but it is over 300 degrees. taste is amazing on same par with extreme q, wow an the hits huge thick clouds from such a tiny device an let me tell ya, walking around the house freedom an the load size. barely any an cloud after cloud. im sorry to the guys that got ones that smell an chipped. this vaporizer right now is out of this world.

good to hear things all went well with yours from the get-go. they definitely do hit very well :o milks my tube with very thick wisps of vapor if i want it to, but can also do more conservative densities at the lower temps, as one would expect. No complaints at all performance-wise. You do have to wait a short while between hits for it to maintain temp best, but you should be holding your hits in and/or rebreathing the hit for more than long enough for it to maintain temp. when used with other ppl tho, i could see myself bumping the temp up a notch or so to help the heater stay more up to temp with a more rapid succession of hits. but, used solo, the solo performs pretty much perfectly.

steiner666,

Vaperlock

steiner666 said:
Well just got my solo today. Hits like a beast but tastes and smells like a robot fart. Smells like a soldering workstation, like hot flux or something. The taste is very detectable, even over the taste of fresh herb. Has a "i just licked a circuitboard" kind of aftertaste.

Someone reassure me that this isnt a problem with all solos and my sense of smell and taste is just way above average. Cause i want there to be the possibility of getting one of these awesome-hitting vapes without the unpleasant stench and taste.

I've been trying to run the thing on max temp for almost a whole battery charge (holy hell it does last a while doesnt it?) to see if it goes away, but it may have lessened, but its still clearly present.

Suggestions?

Dude....

I totally feel your pain. I originally purchased the Wispr and it does have a weird taste. It's not organic it seems a bit like rubber or silicone possibly from the tip. Keep in mind I'm sensitive and I want something perfect which in my opinion is my MFLB hands down!

I purchased the stainless steel solo which dog gone it has a similar taste like what you said of being a soldering iron heating up. I'm really tired of paying all this money went 99 dollars on the MFLB is as close to the holy Grail as possible. Seriously.

Guys, let's not rationalize and just call a spade a spade. If you're tasting something foreign, too much heat, confined draw pressure then it's not happy camping. Here's my lineup:

Aeromed 3.0 = Excellent not perfect as it is bulky and needs a lot of herb
Wispr = Funky taste, breathing in co2 or ?
Solo = Funky taste, hot air, restricted air flow
MFLB = PERFECT **Ahhhhhhhh**

Vaperlock,
Top Bottom