Arizer Solo

somebody gets this man some medical grade cotton. You're going to have to illustrate this mod with pictures if you find out if it works; because I have no idea what exact parts you are talking about.

biojuggernaut,

MG23

Relaxin'
I guess I just don't understand why the air wouldn't take its natural path and escape out the top rather than being pulled back down into the air intake with 0 top suction and producing that much airflow through the 4 channels.

But if you're right couldn't producing enough top suction pull air from the bottom of the unit up around and down into the 4 channels in the opposite way you're saying blowing through the bottom does? If so that would still mean the smell/taste could very easily be coming from the bottom in some units. If others smell/taste is coming mostly from the cap than it also seems likely that it is just residue on the shell, which could just as easily be on the bottom 3/4ths of the shell as it is on the cap.

When Steiner blew through the bottom of his heated unit when it was brand stankin new, he said a ton of the smell rose up. Once he iso cleaned his entire shell he no longer has smell/taste issues. Same with some users who rid themselves of the smell/taste by baking either the cap or the bottom 3/4ths of the shell in the oven. I think that Steiner's ISO wash had the same basic effect as re-baking the shell in the oven.

MG23,

Vaperlock

Somebody commented on 4 holes for the glass tube. Was that somebody making extra drill holes or something you can buy from a vendor? I think 4 draw holes would be ideal since there is a bit of restriction.

To the guy who posted that the electronics now go away after use, I would tend to agree that intuitively you would think that would happen. The question is how long and will go away completely. To everyone else that is fixated on how fast a unit will heat up ceramic versus stainless steel do we really have to discuss this over and over again?

Look this thread is fun and we may learn something but to rehash this is ridiculous. Personally I would rather have stainless steel than ceramic for longevity regardless if I'm losing or gaining 30 seconds or so. Are we faced with a deadly cancer and every few seconds counts?

I wish the solo was a smaller diameter nozzle since I personally enjoy taste and don't want big vapor clouds. That's why the LB still is the gold standard for me and thousands of people. With the LB and the AC adapter and car adapter is really amazingly quick and stealth. Lastly, if the solo wasn't so well-built I might just sell it now. But it really is quality gear and I hope for God sakes the airflow is not going through any circuitry. That would be a serious flaw

Vaperlock,

vaplexus

MattyGTwenty3 said:
I guess I just don't understand why the air wouldn't take its natural path and escape out the top rather than being pulled back down into the air intake with 0 top suction and producing that much airflow through the 4 channels.

But, by the same line of logic couldn't producing enough top suction pull air from the bottom of the unit up around and down into the 4 channels in the same way you're saying blowing through the bottom does? If so that would still mean the smell/taste could still very easily be coming from the bottom in some units. If others smell/taste is coming mostly from the cap than it also seems likely that it is just residue on the shell, which could just as easily be on the bottom 3/4ths of the shell as it is on the cap.

I think generally speaking when you inhale air is coming from all around the top of the head, through the top of the opening but the air would flow not only through the top but also some would get sucked through the body.

My suggestion is to block of the body from the head using cotton.

I just did a test, where I blew into the bottom and i do see the vapour coming out of the mouthpiece. so then i packed cotton gauze all around the head, down into the body where you can see if from the top (with the cap off), packed it in, packed it all around the head and then put the cap back on...

... blow through the bottom...

nice. no vapour exits the mouthpiece. also it was very hard to blow any air in through the bottom. so the bottom is now more isolated from the top. It sounds different too when I inhale, i can hear the air more around the top opening.

so i think i am not getting more air through the top and so more directly into the crucible and much less air from around the head and in the body. but my solo doesn't smell that much and i certainly can't taste the smell so someone is has a smellier solo and is more sensitive should try this.

so to recap how you do it:

- remove the top cap by unscrewing it
- look straight down and you will see space around the inside of the head, inside of the body
- the idea is to pack cotton in there as much as you can as tight as you can
- then try and get a lot of cotton packed into the cap around the head
- the only way air can get in now is straight through the top of the crucible from the outside world

vaplexus,

MG23

Relaxin'
Well if anyone is having any smell/taste issues that aren't solved by taking off / iso washing / baking the cap and they don't want to do the same for the bottom 3/4th's of the shell that sounds like a nice quick fix to their issue haha. Or at least a good test to see if the bottom is where the smell/taste is coming from.

I haven't had any complaints about smell/taste or anything, but I may just gut and deshell Chip (ironic name) tonight and see if lightly ISO washing the entirety of the shell produces any noticeable change.

MG23,

pain101

has anyone tried extending their wires that lead to the heating element, so that the heating element can be completely isolated from the unit entirely??? (if they have an extra unit or dont care about warranty that is)

if i were having an electronic smell issue, i would try to seperate the electronics entirely, and im not scared of cutting two wires to extend them.

im not sure about the exact internals though, will have to look at detailed pics soon, but my theory should still be easily doable

pain101,

vaplexus

pain101 said:
has anyone tried extending their wires that lead to the heating element, so that the heating element can be completely isolated from the unit entirely??? (if they have an extra unit or dont care about warranty that is)

if i were having an electronic smell issue, i would try to seperate the electronics entirely, and im not scared of cutting two wires to extend them.

im not sure about the exact internals though, will have to look at detailed pics soon, but my theory should still be easily doable

Thats an idea. Ideally you'd want to extend the teflon coated wires that goes from the heater to the small connector board. i think there is some smell coming from the small board and chassis so getting the heater/crucible separated would be ideal. the thin wires are probably for the temp sensor which would be low power and so any kind of wire would work. however the heater wires would need to be fairly thick. maybe using nice silicone coated 14ga wire would work ok for those and offer more flexibility. i don't think you'd want them to be too long.

vaplexus,
vape4life said:
Lol I'M coming off as dumb? How baked are you? Lol you're obviously confusing me with vape4health or another member. I didn't make that vid but my solo reaches full temp 7 in like a minute similar to yours.

So your unit isn't the only one, that's all dude.

VapeNStone said:
vape4life said:
Ofcourse I watched the video, and what I'm saying is that my SS m105 heats up just as fast as yours, yet works fine. So IMO your replacement will heat up just as fast. If it doesn't I guess I'll be contacting arizer again. The battery life is atrocious on my new SS.

Like the EQ, the air path must go through the electronics. I blow into the bottom and there definitely is airflow out the top so it's not isolated as was mentioned.

Wish there were more mflb comparisons to the solo as I think I wanna switch to that. Then again I keep seeing you love it or hate it, much like the solo I suppose.

Has anyone compared the weight of the SS vs. ceramic? I think the SS feels lighter.
Well if you watched the video I don't understand how your coming to the conclusion that yours heats up just as fast? I watched your video and sent it along with mine to Arizer and it is obvious that yours does infact not heat up just as fast as mine, which is why I had the issue?? Your SS is slightly ahead of your ceramic which is what is should be. Not like my SS which heats up almost a full minute before my ceramic. I can tell that you are most likely a smart guy from your post, but you sure are coming off dumb right now.
So this video isn't yours?? You were just linking it for everyone to see?

This is your original post

vaplexus

FYI the wires you see from the top are insulated with high grade Teflon.

Here is a vid comparing a SS with a ceramic, heat/cool times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0mkjpm-gpk

If that is the case then I am sorry. I thought that was your specific video and I thought "hes retarded if he thinks his solo heats up just as fast as mine."

VapeNStone,

vape4life

Banned for life
Not my video, and didn't link anything. now you're starting to scare me lol whatever man, all good, let us know how the new warranty replacement performs and what production serial number.

VapeNStone said:
vape4life said:
Lol I'M coming off as dumb? How baked are you? Lol you're obviously confusing me with vape4health or another member. I didn't make that vid but my solo reaches full temp 7 in like a minute similar to yours.

VapeNStone said:
Well if you watched the video I don't understand how your coming to the conclusion that yours heats up just as fast? I watched your video and sent it along with mine to Arizer and it is obvious that yours does infact not heat up just as fast as mine, which is why I had the issue?? Your SS is slightly ahead of your ceramic which is what is should be. Not like my SS which heats up almost a full minute before my ceramic. I can tell that you are most likely a smart guy from your post, but you sure are coming off dumb right now.

vaplexus

If that is the case then I am sorry. I thought that was your specific video and I thought "hes retarded if he thinks his solo heats up just as fast as mine."

vape4life,

vape4health

Just in case this helps anyone on the fence about the Solo, I have 2-3 good friends that are getting them self a Solo for Christmas after much use with mine. Yes they know about the chipping ( and the great fix the Arizer provides, a new unit) and the smell some people are getting. One of them friends used my SS when it was stinking and said fuck you thats nasty, but after it got baked and wiped down he thinks its a great vape, the only vape he has to compare to is my EQ that he has. I like to test vape stuff out on my friends, they dont read this forum or have any info about stuff unless I tell them so its more like a blind test then it is with me.

And one note about the batteries, I'm getting like 8-10 full bowls on one charge, I dont let it run all the way down so I would get more but its not good for the battery.

It's still my fav vape at the moment.

After thought edit: Lately I've been loading the stem then put it in then turn the Solo on, I seem to get bigger faster clouds from the first hit and it cooks the load very well.

vape4health,

Vaperlock

vape4health said:
Just in case this helps anyone on the fence about the Solo, I have 2-3 good friends that are getting them self a Solo for Christmas after much use with mine. Yes they know about the chipping ( and the great fix the Arizer provides, a new unit) and the smell some people are getting. One of them friends used my SS when it was stinking and said fuck you thats nasty, but after it got baked and wiped down he thinks its a great vape, the only vape he has to compare to is my EQ that he has. I like to test vape stuff out on my friends, they dont read this forum or have any info about stuff unless I tell them so its more like a blind test then it is with me.

And one note about the batteries, I'm getting like 8-10 full bowls on one charge, I dont let it run all the way down so I would get more but its not good for the battery.

It's still my fav vape at the moment.

After thought edit: Lately I've been loading the stem then put it in then turn the Solo on, I seem to get bigger faster clouds from the first hit and it cooks the load very well.

What do you mean once it got baked and wiped down? Are you saying you are putting the electronics in an oven and baking your unit or are you stating after long use? Also, what are you wiping it down with and where are you wiping it?

Thanks

Vaperlock,

pain101

i had an old vaporizer that i did the extendo model too. i used 12 guage(I THINK!! definitely thicker than average wire ) speaker wire to no ill effect. my recommendation would be getting the copper wiring(solder too!!!) they use inside your house electrical system. since its designed to take a good hefty load and all... but its probably overkill

the thing worked perfectly till i dropped the damn thing and broke it!!! lol
(i had extended the heating unit out because i was really not liking the amount of plastic melting around the heating unit)

i don't think you'd want them to be too long.

also the resistance of wire is pretty minor, you need meters to even get a single ohm increase in resistance for most types of wiring..... will have a look at my studio maintenance book soon and get some exact numbers up.

SOOO, i don't really think there should be any issue of length(unless you are getting silly of course.. lol)

pain101,

Vaperlock

Maybe that's why the Germans did this right with my Aero med 4.0. The only thing close to the actual herb is a hot halogen lamp. Then the vapor travels through a water pipe for further cleansing and through a plastic tube and into your lungs.

It seems like every portable vaporizer has some issues. The problem is these issues could be harmful or at least distasteful. I still state that the LB even though it does have a metal screen for whatever reason is the cleanest vaporizer that enters my longs for a portable device.

I would sell my soul right now but since I got it for a great price and it really is a well-designed unit I'm keeping it in the hopes that somebody has a solution. For now I'm going to use a whip with the unit just for lower heat transformation. At this point my only hopes is the unit loses some of the circuitry smell with prolonged use

Vaperlock,

vape4health

Vaperlock said:
What do you mean once it got baked and wiped down? Are you saying you are putting the electronics in an oven and baking your unit or are you stating after long use? Also, what are you wiping it down with and where are you wiping it?

Thanks

Page 97 post #2402

I used rubbing alcohol, paper towel and a Qtip to wipe almost everything.

vape4health,
vape4life said:
Not my video, and didn't link anything. now you're starting to scare me lol whatever man, all good, let us know how the new warranty replacement performs and what production serial number.

VapeNStone said:
vape4life said:

vaplexus

Oh shit that was Vaplexus lol. Your fucking names are so close

VapeNStone,

vaplexus

VapeNStone said:
vape4life said:

VapeNStone said:

vaplexus

vap4life vs vaplexus?? nice to see you've been enjoying the use of your solo! :lol:

vaplexus,
vaplexus said:
VapeNStone said:
vape4life said:

vap4life vs vaplexus?? nice to see you've been enjoying the use of your solo! :lol:
well you have been going back and forth with me for the past 2 pages, so I just assumed when I seen the first three letters.

VapeNStone,

vaplexus

VapeNStone said:
vaplexus said:
VapeNStone said:

well you have been going back and forth with me for the past 2 pages, so I just assumed when I seen the first three letters.

i know. i was just joking. :cool: its interesting that there is so much passion around the Solo. I suppose its partly because we are all looking for the primo vapourizer and also the price we paid for the Solo. I am involved to some degree in product design and management and I know that its very hard to create a product that is going to be the best of all aspects. i suppose in the vape world the Volcano might be an example of a vapourizer where focus was put on creating a product that uses the best possible aspects for your average vapourizer user. but then, look at the price! i think The Could guys are also trying the same thing and again, look at the price: $450 is the pre-order price and the expectation is that it will be higher after production.

In some ways its "easier" to make a high quality product if you aren't so concerned about the price. because then you can just go no holds barred on quality. i think arizer tries to balance price and quality and so has had to make compromises on quality in order to meet a price target. but there is no satisfying consumers: if they had done that people would bitch that it was too expensive.

all things considered the solo is a pretty good compromise. it works, works well and only some people are disappointed by quality issues and even fewer hate it. there are bound to be people that will not be happy with a product - no product is 100% successful. of course that doesn't help you guys that are having sensitivity issues with your solos. you might just have to accept that its not the vape for you. doesn't mean that arizer sucks or the solo sucks. for you it/they might but for the vast majority of us solo users, i think, at least it appears on here, that we really like it.

ok well i didn't expect to type out a soapbox diatribe. its obvious stuff. enjoy your solos. i will continue to look for opportunities to modify it to make it better. for now, both of mine are working great and i am just not sure which one i like better. they both seem to have a place.

vaplexus,

arf777

No longer dogless
I did a search and didn't see anything - anybody out there having problems with the battery on your Solo? Mine started acting crazy a few days after I started using the AC adapter (i bought the Arizer-branded one). As of this weekend, it won't work on the battery at all, even when charged all the way. It is only working with the AC plug.

Making it even more annoying, the AC plug is constantly coming out of the Solo. Not all the way out, but enough tot turn it off. So it has gone from being my easiest vape to use to barely working at all. I've emailed Arizer but haven't heard back.

Anyone else experience this? If so, was there a fix?

arf777,

vaplexus

Can someone with the 8.5V arizer adaptor that allows the solo to operate off the mains, who also has a digital volt meter, measure the voltage output of the supply and post it? thanks!

vaplexus,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think your only the second one to report problems with the Solo battery Arf, & if I remember correctly that other case wasn't in combination with the AC power supply. Sounds more like it's a problem with the charging circuitry than the battery itself, but that's not much more than a gamble of course. I'm sure warranty will cover this though, good luck & keep us posted please!

Vaplexus, I only have the cheap ebay one, but that one puts out 8,605V

OhTheAgony,

vaplexus

OhTheAgony said:
I think your only the second one to report problems with the Solo battery Arf, & if I remember correctly that other case wasn't in combination with the AC power supply. Sounds more like it's a problem with the charging circuitry than the battery itself, but that's not much more than a gamble of course. I'm sure warranty will cover this though, good luck & keep us posted please!

Vaplexus, I only have the cheap ebay one, but that one puts out 8,605V

my cheap ebay one puts out 8.93V. i find its wonky with the ceramic but seems to work ok on the SS. i wondered if the "real" arizer one was more like 8.5V. i did open up the cheap ebay one and there is not a pot to adjust voltage so I'm stuck with it unless i want to try and reverse engineer it.

vaplexus,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
My cheap one worked fine with my ceramic m102 when I tested if for a bowl or 4 - 5 going through all the heat settings, so it may very well be in the voltage it gives off which causes the buggieness with yours. I'm afraid to use it again after the failure reports of others on here though, I would not forgive myself if I fucked up my non smelly Solo with it. But I found I really don't have a use for it anyway. I really don't like that it can't stand up with the plug inserted (they really need to put the power connector on the back of the unit if there ever comes a real nr 2 version), and I usually put my Solo on the charger when it gets at the 3 or 4 light & so far it's always been ready charging by the time I was up for another bowl. Still no noticeable degradation in battery longevity btw. This unit was bought at the end of Juli and used daily since except for one month or so when I was totally infatuated with my Vapo Bowls.

OhTheAgony,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
Phineas T. Freakears said:
ilovebOObs said:
does anyone have a pic of the ac adapter? and specs? maybe we can find a cheaper alternative for it.

Here are the specs read from the AC Adapter:

QILI POWER
MODEL: QL-09005-B0855000F
INPUT: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 1.5A
OUTPUT: 8.5V 5000mA
LISTED 56HG E239831

thanks man!

for the most part after soaking my casing in iso then hitting it with a flame to heat up the whole body, didn't have a oven so i had to do it this way. most of the smell is gone only a slight smell if i search for it, but i don't smell anything when vaping so thats good. man spent all weekend vape bonging my solo with a bubbler. friggin amazing!!!! all my friends were amazed at the amount of clouds i was getting with the solo.:brow:

ilovebOObs,

zombonaut

I had my rare 3 hole straight stem spontaneously destruct while in the Solo.

Is there a US based vape store that has the straight 4 hole stem in stock?

zombonaut,
Top Bottom