Anvil vs Vapcap Discussion

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Wouldn't Anvil vs Elev8r be a better, more relevant comparison since the heating time and style of torch used are much more similar?

IMHO no. Anvil uses a lot smaller torch than the Elev8r. I can click an Anvil with a single flame Eagle from my Dyna - albeit it’s not the most ideal torch for the Anvil, it prefers a bit more firepower. But an Elev8r or my SCVW like a larger Blazer Big Shot dab sized torch.

Also V8R’ can hold way more herb and is truly pure convection. The Anvil is easier to use though since there’s no temperature indication with a torched Elev8r.

I think the Dyna is a good comparison, but the two devices are different.

Like @Cannabiker I can get bigger rips with lighter AVB off the Anvil. For my style of vaping I like that.

My_50p_worth

I don't think a device that can be portable is ever a fair comparison against a desktop
I used to agree with this, but now I’m of a different opinion

I feel that you can compare the extraction efficiency at a set dose, and that be a fair comparison. Sort of like how pound4pound rankings work in boxing

So with that said, I’d put the anvil’s extraction performance up there with the flowerpot - something I used to disagree with quite strongly

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
I used to agree with this, but now I’m of a different opinion

I feel that you can compare the extraction efficiency at a set dose, and that be a fair comparison. Sort of like how pound4pound rankings work in boxing

So with that said, I’d put the anvil’s extraction performance up there with the flowerpot - something I used to disagree with quite strongly

Very interesting.

So in your opinion, your anvil hits as hard as your flowerpot?
Which version of the fp are you using?
Thanks.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
@Cannabiker check out this session. I heated more towards the middle and top of the cap, maintained for a bit for good flavour before dropping the hammer and finishing the bowl. sorry the video quality is so shit, lighting in my room at the time was not good and might have smeared some of the oil I had on the wpa on the camera lens:doh: looks like I shot it on my old Motorola razor lol.
avb shot
avb pic, looks darker than it really was in the pic, lighting again.

so can the anvil start low and be ramped up mid hit on the fly??? guess I won't find out till I grab one, unless someone bold steps up to answer my question:rofl:

Glorg

Dyna/anvil/elev8r comparison is basically conduction/hybrid/convection simplified ( not perfectly accurate but close ) and a scale of small/med/large torch necessity. Blazer big buddy in my elev8r but even a propane torch with a quality tip works great. The elev8r is leagues ahead of flavour on both and the anvil is significantly better flavour then a dyna. Most people ripping the anvil are going max out hits always but if you do a lighter heat up you can see the terps it’s capable of, but again the elev8r wins clearly in flavour. Anvil is the least harsh of the three, the elev8r and other ball vapes are passing much more hot air at a time which can make them harsher over time, dynavap can be harsh due to it being the easiest to combust and it’s condensed short vapour path but that’s mitigated with different stems and rigs. Elev8r can hold significantly more, like 10x almost so the ability to go huge is beyond. Pound for pound the anvil is insanely efficient at delivering massive hits though, if I keep a elev8r on a table for a week vs an anvil I use around double the herb, this isn’t a scale of direct double efficiency though it’s also that using the elev8r just naturally lends to me packing more always, the limiter of the anvil mixed with hit potency holds me back more I guess. All of them are great vapes, I almost exclusively have used the anvil for the last stretch but I’ll grab the elev8r for specific taster rips, the dyna hasn’t seen use outside of one session since I’ve gotten the anvil. I also have a Enano and pinky and the cords to make my elev8r run on the enail but I prefer it torch powered personally and I really like not having wires around my setup right now, I setup on a low coffee table and have dogs so it’s nice to not worry about them tripping up cords with hot nails on the end.

Cannabiker

so can the anvil start low and be ramped up mid hit on the fly??? guess I won't find out till I grab one, unless someone bold steps up to answer my question
Damn, you have definitely achieved master-class Dynavap status. You just turned the ephemeral DV terp hit perpetual--that went on forever, and the ABV looked great. I have to admit that while I do use some temp-stepping techniques for hash in the DV, I'm usually lazy with flower, just respecting the click.

The short answer is, no, I don't think you can do that with the Anvil. It won't respond as immediately to repeat heat. However, the whole point of the Anvil is that you don't have to. It holds the heat in reserve so you don't need to ramp it up. It will fully extract the load without supplemental heating.

The downside is some loss of terps. I'm not sure if they're burned off, or if their flavor is just buried in the dense wall of white, but the Anvil doesn't give you that tickle of pine and citrus you get from a DV or a pure convection device. I tend to think they're just overwhelmed by the other compounds, but they're still there--the effects sure feel like full spectrum extraction.

Still, this is early days for the Anvil, and I'm sure people will be developing new techniques to maximize its performance for some time.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
to me the anvil seems more like a sledge hammer, maybe a bit more nimble like a smaller mini sledge and the DynaVap can hit just as hard but can also be used like a scalpel. the anvil looks more plug and play for big hits but the Dynavap seems more flexible.

Texus

The way I think of Anvil in comparison to ball vapes (I have b0 and b2), it is in the same neighborhood if you hit it right (45 sec to clock, lighter closer to mouthpiece). Which I find remarkable. And have never achieved that with a DV, using M or Omni or Vong Ti tips.

Like Dynavap amazing what can be achieved in terms of quality of hits for so little flower. Anvil just goes places DV can't IME.

But that hardly replaces DVs in my rotation. Just like a DV wouldn't replace my vapman just because it can hit harder than that beauty.

Cannabiker

Not quite, what I’m saying is that it can extract just as efficiently in a dose for dose comparison
Absolutely. At first I was even convinced the Anvil was more efficient, given the size of its load. I believe it was one of your posts that made me take a closer look. So I loaded an Anvil half-chamber, and I dumped it out into my DCE bowl. It barely covered the screen, and I was convinced there was no way the DCE could extract that load as well as the Anvil. I'd been using at least four times as much in the DCE.

What I learned is that I'd been overloading the DCE. It had no trouble with that micro-dose. Sure, it took just a hair longer than the Anvil. But if you discount convection lag (which isn't near as long as the Anvil heating process), the DCE pulled the load just as quickly, and with no loss of terpene profile. Ignoring their different qualities, these two are neck and neck by most quantifiable measures.

On topic, most of the time when I'm out and about, I'm not looking to get slapped that hard. Dynavaps are still my go-to for the sitting-on-a-park-bench vibe, though I sometimes carry the Anvil with a Quiver ti bong to proselytize non-vaping friends and acquaintances. I've long believed a well-tuned Dynavap is one of the best ways to convert smokers, but the Anvil is even better.

GoldenBud

i think the Anvil just has "wider" air intake, copper has a value of K (thermal conductivity) of 400 while SS304 (Dyna's Cap) has a K level of 20 or so, SS316 around 30 and Ti is much lower than both.... dunno, must try it already to see and hear the airflow or so, waiting for it!

GoldenBud,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
@Cannabiker check out this session. I heated more towards the middle and top of the cap, maintained for a bit for good flavour before dropping the hammer and finishing the bowl. sorry the video quality is so shit, lighting in my room at the time was not good and might have smeared some of the oil I had on the wpa on the camera lens:doh: looks like I shot it on my old Motorola razor lol.
avb shot
avb pic, looks darker than it really was in the pic, lighting again.

so can the anvil start low and be ramped up mid hit on the fly??? guess I won't find out till I grab one, unless someone bold steps up to answer my question:rofl:

to me the anvil seems more like a sledge hammer, maybe a bit more nimble like a smaller mini sledge and the DynaVap can hit just as hard but can also be used like a scalpel. the anvil looks more plug and play for big hits but the Dynavap seems more flexible.
To me the vapor quality and controlled heater performance are just superior to any vapcap. It's true that the Anvil isn't "95% convection" like John said in that long, dull interview with Pete: the chamber walls are plenty hot by the end (and presumably the middle) of the bigger hits I like.

That said, the heater design and its ability to extract copious clouds consistently from a given amount are in no way rivaled by a dinky little Omni XL ti tip. Similarly, no vapcap hit has ever made me think "really?! The abv is only that dark??" Vapcaps are strictly conduction approaching combustion and good luck riding the proverbial line in that scenario.

It's like the Dynavap tip and cap design was a primitive beta that they just stuck with, offering different colors later or a tip with a different groove in it, while the Anvil starts over and says "if you wanted to design something like this for peak performance you'd give it more mass and separate the chamber from the thermal battery".

Of course the tradeoff is the slower heatup, which I was fully convinced was a dealbreaker back when the Anvil was introduced. Now I see it as a hit to rival my VB or Atlas but with thirty seconds on the torch instead of a fifteen to thirty minute warmup.

I think you've done about as good as can be expected speculating about the Anvil while respecting your venerable vapcap stable. I'm not looking for a step outside to get one or two toasty vapcap conduction hits so for my use case a vapcap will get used never now that the Anvil has arrived.

Hits on the bubbler or the admittedly overbuilt OGB j-hooks are so consistently impressive. Arguing in favor of a vapcap shouldn't attempt to compete on performance or power; it should be more of a "I can get groceries just as well in my sensible Civic" argument, or the "I step outside at work" use case where something smaller, weaker, dirtier, and cheaper is actually preferred.

Last edited:

Petetbay

I saw recently that planet haze is carrying the anvil now so it seems like the patched up their relationship at least business wise.
No I don’t think so, still have the notice that they are not going carry it. Least that’s what their site says.

Petetbay,
Reactions: rageweary

My_50p_worth

copious clouds consistently from a given amount are in no way rivaled by a dinky little Omni XL ti tip.

I wonder if this is as much a convection versus conduction thing as it is Anvil versus DV.

I notice most conduction biased vapes I’ll use, they’ll give a few fairly dense and rather pungent smelling clouds and then be done. The flavour is often roasty, which I like but is obviously as much from the material itself as it is the terps.

Convection biased vapes I’ll get a lot more clouds, and they’re often as sizeable, but more airy and not that pungent. They’ll also have a much more expressive flavour than conduction clouds I find.

Obviously not to take away from your larger point, I’m just thinking out loud

thunderstealer1337

lol this is one of those hold my beer, now take a video while i milk the shit outta this dynavap and you will all think I put wax in it to get the insanely dense clouds.

I sold my anvil after 6 days, imo ppl just need to work on their dynavap techniques, i kept telling them the flavor profile smacks you in your mouth if you do it right with a dynavap and compared to the anvil, dynavap flavor is like 100x better

GoldenBud

lol this is one of those hold my beer, now take a video while i milk the shit outta this dynavap and you will all think I put wax in it to get the insanely dense clouds.

I sold my anvil after 6 days, imo ppl just need to work on their dynavap techniques, i kept telling them the flavor profile smacks you in your mouth if you do it right with a dynavap and compared to the anvil, dynavap flavor is like 100x better
but nobody which buy the Anvil actually looking for taste? people are looking for the "Supreme V3" experience when they get the Anvil.....one hit to extract the bowl.... but because the Anvil is basically a conduction device, it's better to choose something like ELEV8R.... IMO...

and I agree, heating the VapCap at the Mid, fast spinning, Ti tip, when the blue flame is not touching the cap, is a real pleasure including both clouds and taste.

GoldenBud,
Reactions: vapirtoo

seki

I would love to see this, please post a video or provide details of your technique if that's not possible.

I've used a VapCap regularly for a little over 4 years now and for about a year of that time they were my daily drivers. I've done some experimenting with technique and the closest I've come to what you're describing is achieving a ~25-30 second vapour production window that's nearly devoid of any toasted flavour, completely milks a large 1000ml bong, is extracted in one hit, and takes the load to a coffee brown. I do this by heating an extremely loose cap about 8-10 seconds after the click. It took some years before it occurred to me to try this configuration and I'd be interested in learning some new techniques if you'd like to share your process.

Up to this point, I've had well over 300 Anvil sessions and I'm still figuring out new and better ways to do things with it just like with my VapCaps more than four years on. I don't think I'd personally be able to claim mastery over almost any device after less than a week's worth of usage. I'm curious to see what sort of performance you can coax out of a Vapcap because I've found that my technique, while being about as good as I can achieve, doesn't really hold a candle to a normal Anvil session.

Top Bottom