1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

WTF Is Wrong With America And Gun Control?

Discussion in 'The Vapor Lounge' started by CarolKing, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

*Three of the below quotes are Mz. King; picked because they are well written and an example of views held by a number of people. I actually agree more than disagree with her in general on this topic.

Actually our country IS filled with crazy, stoopid people. :( Remember 1/2 of everyone you meet is below average in intelligence. The entire world is full of crazy, stupid, fraked up people.

As decided by whom? As in any and all persons that seek help from a councilor or therapist?

We will just have to agree to disagree on that one, lol. I'm Xmilitary and have never looked forward to putting a bullet into anyone. As a civilian Iv taken risks to talk my way out of things rather than simply (legally) kill someone before. I'm now older, disabled, and caring for my parents. My 12 gauge is for home protection and your disapproval of such maters not a whit. :rolleyes: (to me). I have used it in a non firing way agains an armed home intruder in the past. Having written all of that I can't disagree about a certain group with the mind set you write of.

So you are not OK with that but anyone with "mental health" issues should be banned from firearm ownership? How about people that suffer from mental symptoms as a direct result of of physical ailment like depression due to menopause or thyroid disorders? Not intended as snarkyness by the way.

Very true. And unless and until we are willing, as a society, to address a bunch of basic and underlying issues? Our violence issues are not going away. Institutionalized child mistreatment, Implicit racial and religious bias, etc..

2. macbill

macbill Gregarious Misanthrope

Can you stop a Clever Crazy? If someone is hellbent on mass murder, there are many ways to go.

3. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

GetLeft likes this.
  4. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

That is why the Secret Service is so freaky OCD and dialed in. the old truism about an assassination: A smart, dedicated, patient person that is willing to ignore the "...and then escape." part of the plan is incredibly hard to stop.

There are a couple of very effective methods that have not yet been explored by modern crazy-clevers and I won't mention them here. But simply from a vehicular homicide POV; what if this guy had used a tractor trailer with a full trailer rather than guns?

It also doesn't help at all when people use emotionally charged, incorrect terminology. It helps even less when they pass laws altering or incorrectly defining a term. From a military perspective an Assault Rifle is one capable of both single shot and fully automatic fire. Under current gun laws it is a cosmetic term. It helps even less, IMO, when people double down on the term, more interested in "being right" than effecting change. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-a-scaletta/ar15s-are-basically-assau_b_10469112.html

More crazy with semantics: How is an AR-15 equipped with a bump stock NOT an automatic weapon? It is a weapon with autofire capabilities but NOT an automatic weapon as defined by law. :mental:

5. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Also known as confirmation bias :tup:

Some interesting stats in there...
    • New York has 8.3 million residents. It is likely to have 335 murders this year.
    • In 2011, Austria, with 8.4 million residents, had 71 murders.
    • Switzerland has 7.9 million residents and 46 murders.
    • The Netherlands, with 16.7 million people - more than twice the population of New York City - had less than half the number of murders (144) in a year.
    • Or, put differently, if New York had the same murder rate (0.8) as Germany, Austria, and Spain, there would have been only 67 murders this year - slightly more than one each week.
    • Toronto -- a city of 2.8 million residents -- had 55 murders in 2012, a rate of 1.9 per 100,000 people. That year Chicago, a city with a similar population size, had 506 murders. Detroit, a city of 701,475 people just across the river from Toronto, recorded 411 homicides last year. Chicago's murder rate was almost 10 times larger than Toronto; Detroit's was about 28 times greater. Detroiters and Chicagoans are so used to the epidemic of killings that they often go unreported in the local media. In Toronto, almost every murder is a front-page story and a topic of public soul-searching.

:hmm::bang:
    :myday:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  6. TboneToker

TboneToker Medical Enthusiast

There is nothing wrong with it, if people couldn't use guns they would use other things.

7. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    grokit, GetLeft and macbill like this.
  8. invertedisdead

invertedisdead trance-form

Another brick in the wall! :bang:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    grokit and GetLeft like this.
  9. GetLeft

GetLeft Well-Known Member

grokit, macbill, CarolKing and 2 others like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors