1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite torch or lighter to use with the Vapcap?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by Mr. Me2, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Ramahs

Ramahs Member

2. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Can't imagine what would make it worth $50. It looks much like all the other $10 torches. I'm not slamming it, I have never seen it, just wondering why the cost.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. JetHead

JetHead Active Member

As someone who bought two $10 lighters (both failed within days) and then $30 two weeks later for a better one to replace them and $15 for a quality fuel and just dropped another $40 last night for a dual flame I bet I would pay $50 for that lighter... which I probably just should've done in the first place.

Much better quality materials. Rarely misfires or won't ignite. Very powerful flame(s).

4. shredder

shredder Well-Known Member

Next to pipe's ih heaters the tron is my go to. Love the flame spacing cause it seems to get consistant great heat ups. The only con I see, it's a bit heavy, and the site window is limited, although it feels great in my hand. I seem to get a lot of heat ups per charge, so I assume it's easy on butane.

JetHead and Squiby like this.
  5. Ramahs

Ramahs Member

Well, the word seems to be that it fires, reliably, for years and years. It has a unique spark system that wont degrade. It also has a switch on the side that locks the flame on, hands free.

Helios, Squiby and The Beagle like this.
  6. Mr.Sifter

Mr.Sifter Well-Known Member

i think i will order the cyclone2 or the venom2 directly from dynavap.

Squiby likes this.
  7. Used2use

Used2use Landrace racer

out of curiosity - what source do u refer to? - there are torches that look exactly the same for 5$...

Squiby likes this.
  8. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Back in Oct folks were talking about that torch too. My point is only that all the torches in my "box o fire" work well to excellently and other than the anteater Zico (which was probably $12 or so) and the Jobon I recently got from Lotus (about the same) all of them were under $10 and a couple under $4.
    [​IMG]

Now, what I can't tell you is how long they will last as I have only been buying them since 2014, but several of these I have had most of that time. And only some really cheap ones (not shown) have died early when I was using shitty butane.

9. Used2use

Used2use Landrace racer

i only had real bad luck with a cheap 5 pack of atomic lighters - all piezos died after maybe 20 sparks :goon:
    ...so i bought almost any other cheapo brand model from china (twice :rolleyes: ), yea i'm addicted but i stopped buying after realizing that i have more torches than i can fill with a full can of butane :evil:
    So far i would say for single torches the 3 $ vapman torch clone is very good (mine is branded Honest)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-color-...504406&hash=item4b252f27b2:g:AosAAOSwKM9Zrlp0

Phenix and Hogni like this.
  10. Squiby

Squiby Well-Known Member

I have had very good luck with the Honest brand lighters (I have a few different models), as well as the Aomai cylinder flint single jet lighter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-Flame-...993030?hash=item2c837438c6:g:P5oAAOxyeZNTU~O3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honest-Lig...438492?hash=item3d41e3935c:g:atYAAOSwb3lZcK0C

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONEST-met...815177?hash=item2ef3fb1989:g:dp8AAOSw-kdXzTt~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Gift...197379&hash=item1c37844bd9:g:FOIAAOxyYTRSU5GI

And my favorite...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honest-Sky...396465?hash=item1c9c3e0cb1:g:kYMAAOSwiIxaQfES

11. JetHead

JetHead Active Member

What kind of fuel are you using @cybrguy?

12. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Funny you ask. This was in the same post that box o fire came from. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    I'm liking the Colibri better than the Vector these days, but they are both pretty good. I have a can of Ronson red that I had around from my smoking days filling soft flame lighters. The first 2 torch lighters that died on me were killed by that can of butane. :rip: They were cheepies, but I blame the butane.

13. splitz

splitz Well-Known Member

I've been beating on this single OG Vapman torch (daily) for 4 years now. This is my go-to for vapcaps as well.

Minimum 15 cans of 300ml Colbri (only Colbri) butane has passed through the little guy on the right.

That's my 4 year old "spare" on the left - unused.

These things are 100% maintenance free - cleaned only when she falls into the bathtub.

[​IMG]

I find it to be quite stealthy too – nobody questioning whether that guy on the park bench is heating a crack pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*edited to avoid back to back posts*

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  14. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

That too looks like a nice one. Many of these cheap torches are well made and will last. But they are cheap, so you can't expect too much. The best way to extend their life is to use good butane. That won't help with mechanical problems, of course, but it will greatly reduce any internal problems like clogs and inconsistent flame.

AND NEVER CLEAN THEM IN ALCOHOL!!!! The plastics they use DO NOT LIKE IT. Clear?

For emphasis:

AND NEVER CLEAN THEM WITH ALCOHOL!!!! The plastics they use DO NOT LIKE IT.

And this post:
    http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/w...se-with-the-vapcap.23318/page-14#post-1149487

15. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

The vapman torch is my go-to for all my butane vaporizer needs too, it just keeps on workin' while my spare just sits in it's box lookin' good.

The Beagle, Squiby and cybrguy like this.
  16. MAbud

MAbud Well-Known Member

Squiby and DeeCee5 like this.
  17. DeeCee5

DeeCee5 Masshole and proud of it

garth vaper and JetHead like this.
  18. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Amazon has it for $10 less, but it's still out of my price range.
    https://www.amazon.com/Xikar-9665CL-Clear-Triple-Flame/dp/B009CBHPM4

added:
    I'm this close (II) to getting one of the clones of this guy based on the recs, but "box o fire" and all suggests I don't NEED one...

Squiby and RUDE BOY like this.
  19. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

My table top Blazer Big Shot finally gave up the ghost so I have down sized and am loving it so far.

[​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6IT1QB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Amazon review below.

Great for all of 1 minute.

Original review below, lol. I filled the thing with high grade butane and tested it out to review. Total time with a flame? <1 minute. Flame got smaller and smaller then died completely. Ignitor works, I can see it flickering. No butane feed at all now, I could hear if their was. I'm using x5 butane and it works fine in other devices.

Super simple to use. If you are not familiar with butane torches the included diagram with have you up to speed in a minute. Be aware that the flame extends a invisibly a bit past the part that is visible. You can use the box it shipped in to check this out. On high mine lights the box with an inch gap form the visible end of the flame.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    stardustsailor likes this.
  20. Alex3oe

Alex3oe Well-Known Member

I think much depends on the butane. My Vapman original torch lasts about a month of heavy use before dying :(
    Had a lot of cheap torches from China until I switched to Colibri gas and Xikar lighters.

cybrguy, RUDE BOY and Squiby like this.
  21. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Question for cbrguy:

Is it OK to clean my lighter with alcohol?

22. Ramahs

Ramahs Member

Really, just what I've gathered by reading people's experiences and reviews. But that involves everything from torch discussions both here and various related subreddits, as well as product reviews from customers and comparisons of top torches on blogs and in videos.

This one seems to be reliable for years and years, in both lighting the first click every time, and in flame consistency...unlike most cheap ones that wear out every few months.

Again...I have not owned one, so I'm only going from other anecdotes...the lighter sure seems to have a reputation for consistency and long life significantly above and beyond many.

Squiby likes this.
  23. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Sure, I was just kidding. NOT!

If your lighter is all metal, go ahead. Plastic, not so much...

(He poked me, ma)

Squiby and GreenHopper like this.
  24. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

No DO NOT CLEAN WITH ALCOHOL!!!

Even if it appears to be all metal!

Often there are plastic parts and the alcohol can seep in and damage the inner components leading to unstable use.

We like you the way you are, no need for toasting :razz::razz:

stardustsailor, Squiby and cybrguy like this.
  25. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

I'm guessing he was pulling my leg...

Here, pull my finger...

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors