1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite torch or lighter to use with the Vapcap?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by Mr. Me2, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Smoke420

Smoke420 Member

I have 2 lighters by Vector KGM, a single and dual torch. I bought the single a year ago, and dual about 6 months ago. They have never failed me once, the single runs out of fuel fast, but is good enough to heat a few caps. It takes more than 10 seconds to click, but the single flame is precise and easy to focus the heat where I want.

The 2 flame torch last forever, if I turn the flame up and i can heat about 90 percent of the cap with it and it clicks in about 5 seconds. I don't usually have the flame set very high as it heats in under ten seconds and the flame layout allows you to focus it fairly well. This one last forever and I can go a few days without refilling it, although I refill them if I'm going out.

I usually have them both with me and I have the single in a case with my Vapcap and some herb for the on the go, and the single is only used as backup when i'm on the go. The dual finds a place in my pocket or in my backpack. I have not been caring with these lighters, they have been beat up from drops and riding around in loose pockets with keys and all kinds of stuff as you can see from the pics. But they work, they are solid metal from what I can tell.

After looking online and seeing the billions of options out there, I decided to go to some smoke shops, there are so many around me, and i like going there anyways, they always have cool shit there. I bought some cheap lighters at first for around 5-15 dollars, they all failed on me after a month or worked intermittently. I decided to spend a bit more and found the Vector Single Flame Torch for 20 dollars, it had a nice case and packaging, but I thought who knows, it could fail, but it never did and I went back 6 months later and bought the duel flame torch for 30 dollars.

That's my 2 cents of what to get if your on the fence. Also I have not tested there warranty service, but they have a No Proof Warranty, you basically pay shipping send the lighter off and they will send it back fixed, no proof of purchase required.

[​IMG]IMG_20180225_095739 by dan000206, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_20180225_095850 by dan000206, on Flickr

2. Godspeed

Godspeed Well-Known Member

I purchased the Xikar Allume about six months ago and it gets light use.

The sliding doors protecting the igniters would get stuck in the open position quite often which defeats their purpose. Today the Xikar Allume completely engulfed itself in big flame and burned my hand. Fortunately I was outside and dropped it on my lawn. Had it been in my home it could have started a fire.

This was not an inexpensive lighter and I am very disappointed.

https://www.amazon.com/Allume-Light...words=xikar+allume+double+flame+cigar+lighter

Sirro, GreenHopper and Squiby like this.
  3. Winegums

Winegums I make things from wood Accessory Maker

Woaah I’m glad I didn’t buy it. Thanks for the review

GreenHopper and Squiby like this.
  4. szai

szai Well-Known Member

Wow that's terrible! I actually love my allume. How old was yours? They did an update at some point, it changed the fuel gauge to the side.

The vertigo Tron is kinds of fun. Not sure how reliable it is yet.

5. steama

steama slightly stoopid

I recently received three excellent high capacity clear fuel tank triple torches. Very easy to adjust too. My omni XL loves these and she feels I spoil her with excellent flame...and I do. It's a very hot situation. :nod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:myday:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  6. abjake55

abjake55 Tech Geek

I have a vertigo quad from DV, which is working well, and a Ronson jetlighter, which sparks but will not light . One of the dangers of reading these pages is catching a new acquisition syndrome. I have ordered a slender flint wheel single flame that @Squiby likes, and a vertigo Z2 twin flame from DV. It will be fun comparing the results from these different torches .

GreenHopper, Alexis and Squiby like this.
  7. Slagzord

Slagzord Don't fuckle with shuckle

So, I picked up a Tron from the DV site, but I've really been having a heckuva time after the first refill. I must be doing something wrong because it does not seem to fill up with a tank of Colibri on its ass. The window has barely any liquid in it and it goes through maybe one or two caps before it is refill time. Like I said, I must be doing something wrong because this thing wasn't cheap and I can't imagine that it is being sold by DV with performance like this!

8. Used2use

Used2use Sometimes to stupid to become a fool

Have u tried 'bleeding' it complete empty? sounds like there is some air in the tank...

9. JetHead

JetHead Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for a single head but wide flame? Or where two heads meet to one?

10. steama

steama slightly stoopid

JetHead likes this.
  11. Slagzord

Slagzord Don't fuckle with shuckle

Indeed my man, indeed I did.

Used2use likes this.
  12. xsteve420

xsteve420 Member

With my zplus I bleed it empty then fill it then I bleed very slowly and let a little air out then fill it the rest of the way full.
    If I don't do that it's never all the way full and the flame isn't constant .

ander, Squiby and Used2use like this.
  13. analytika

analytika Well-Known Member

Blazer PB207CR one and done

14. Ramahs

Ramahs Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

I have almost pulled the trigger on this one so many times. The price keeps holding me back.

analytika likes this.
  15. ander

ander Well-Known Member

Still in search for my "perfect one": small, durable and with the right power... really enjoyed this double jet (dead by fall after 8 months of pretty good and stable service) and I'm waiting for another one. In the same package, if all goes well (lost 2 deliveries recently...) I should find another small double jet and the very thin "Aomai" that I plan to put inside one of my gadget dreams: a DIYnastash with all the needed inside: vapcap, lighter, erb chamber and a small place for some hemp fiber as well. :cool:

GreenHopper, Used2use and Squiby like this.
  16. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Right. So not gonna happen... ;)

I am curious tho, what makes it worth 5 times the price of other torches? Are it's components different and better? I haven't held one but does it FEEL different?

My cheap torches have been remarkably durable. I have several that I have had since my first butane vape (Lotus) so that's 3 years or so. These days I never go over the $12 or so I spent on that Jobon from Lotus, and usually stay around $5. (Online prices. Local is higher)

GreenHopper, analytika and Squiby like this.
  17. Ramahs

Ramahs Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

That torch is supposed to be made really well, and last many years. It's supposed to have a better sparking system than other lighters that does not degrade, and the flame control is supposed to be very precise.

I can tell you that my biggest issue with the small handful of torches that I currently use is the flame adjustment. They all jump across from slightly too big to slightly too small right at the sweet-spot for the exact size flame I want for my Hydrobrick Maxx. I can certainly make those lighters work, but none I have are precise enough with flame adjustment.

analytika and cybrguy like this.
  18. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Having never held or used one I can have no reasonable opinion on this torch other than about it's cost. I have nothing bad to say about it specifically, so I don't want anyone to think I have used it and find it lacking. I have not.

In truth it is obvious that we all have different criteria that we make our judgements on. Some folks buy Porches and some buy Toyota's and it isn't always about how much they have to spend. Sometimes it is just about what they want or hold dear.

Many of us love the VC's because they are incredibly efficient and their Vape Signature is unique and pleasing. Many love them because you can get a GREAT VAPE that will knock you down (if that is your goal) for a very reasonable price. It is all about personal taste and our own sense of what makes our world better.

I will pass on this torch. Others will use and appreciate it. And hopefully everyone will be happy with their choice.

GreenHopper and Squiby like this.
  19. szai

szai Well-Known Member

I have a larger Blazer and if it's performance is anything to go by the baby brother will be awesome! The big one is just a bit too big to carry so I'm eager to try the small one!

cybrguy likes this.
  20. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

I did want to make one other point in this thread that isn't about the Torches themselves and it hasn't been made in a while. The most common point of failure I have run into on these torches is bad butane. I have resurrected 2 torches that failed early by purging them completely of butane and refilling them with quality butane (like Collibri or Vector). When a torch is sputtering or unstable this is often the cause.
    Sometimes getting that last bit out when purging is tough, but it is worth it. Cheap butane, notably Ronson with the red cap, has impurities and sometimes machine oil in with the butane that can damage and clog lighters. Soft flame lighters like the Bics we used as smokers (none of us are still smoking, right?) are not effected as much as the pressure the butane is release with them is way lower and no precision is necessary. Torches are a different kettle of fish and butane purity really does matter.

21. Used2use

Used2use Sometimes to stupid to become a fool

22. JetHead

I suspect I'll end up with the wide flame Blazer. I was hoping there might be another available. I prefer the larger tanks and consistency.

23. szai

szai Well-Known Member

Why go with the wide flame?

24. JetHead

I started with a single flame and then to a dual flame (both Xicar) and think my perfect spot is going to be in the middle somewhere (somehow?). The single flame seems a bit too pinpointed and takes much much longer to get to click but the hits are stronger - feels like more control with a single flame. I'm very happy with the dual flame but then want it to be more pinpointed or have the flames convex into one.

I considered that Zippo looking one but the fuel tank is just too small. I'm an on the go user and carrying around butane can is just bananas on public transportation.

Jackdaw, GreenHopper and Squiby like this.
  25. szai

szai Well-Known Member

Lemme know how it goes. I'm just about to order one myself. I like both single and dual jet lighters myself. I just want a good single jet but your reasoning is sound!

What xikar dual jet are you using? I have a xikar and it's my favorite lighter! Ma

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors