Multi-brand Vivant Alternate

mikee336

Besides the fact that I clean my unit after each use, the units looked the same after our "exchange"
Neither unit has signs of deterioration.
DSC05270.jpg

Above: My unit after using it for 30+ sessions at 400º

DSC05269.jpg

Above: The other patients unit after doing 10 sessions at 380º

Neither show cracking or melting.
I will confess that I did not like the taste of his unit as much as mine, and he agreed mine tasted better.
So far it is my feeling that his unit tasted unusual to me due to his 1st couple of sessions using peppermint (and then he fessed up to doing one with lavender mixed with meds.)

But... Both of those mouth pieces are slightly melted.

Vitolo

Vaporist
But... Both of those mouth pieces are slightly melted.
I am sorry to contradict.
I am holding them in my hand right now, and there is no "slight" melting. They are both in the same condition as when new.
I am not sure what you are looking at, but what you are seeing is not melted or warped in any manner.

Vitolo,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Wondering if Vivante will replace the melting MP with high heat resistant units, once they changeover?

To be cost effective, they may have to have a "BOGO" (Buy One Get One) sale.....;)

stark1,
Reactions: Vivant

mikee336

I am sorry to contradict.
I am holding them in my hand right now, and there is no "slight" melting. They are both in the same condition as when new.
I am not sure what you are looking at, but what you are seeing is not melted or warped in any manner.
Clean them up with iso and take a pic. It starts as a completely smooth edge all the way around. Yours definitely looks like mine started to even after one session. If you aren't looking closely enough it may like residue build up but it's actually bubbled plastic.

mikee336,

Vitolo

Vaporist
29esx1x.jpg

Looked at by 3 other patients and my wife. Touched and felt and viewed by all.
Nobody sees melting.
sde9vt.jpg

4 people sitting with me as I type... passing the top around, and none of us see melting
What everyone did see, is that my screen is not seated in a level fashion.
It never was, when the unit was new.
You may notice a small notch on the ring around screen closest to camera.
The notch is not a melted spot... It was present when the unit arrived.
The notch is sharp and it is not "bubbling".
I have owned hundreds of vaporizers (and still own over 100) and I have seen melting... and I have seen bubbling.
This is not either.

Last edited:

vapormens

29esx1x.jpg

Looked at by 3 other patients and my wife. Touched and felt and viewed by all.
Nobody sees melting.
sde9vt.jpg

4 people sitting with me as I type... passing the top around, and none of us see melting
What everyone did see, is that my screen is not seated in a level fashion.
It never was, when the unit was new.
You may notice a small notch on the ring around screen closest to camera.
The notch is not a melted spot... It was present when the unit arrived.
The notch is sharp and it is not "bubbling".
I have owned hundreds of vaporizers (and still own over 100) and I have seen melting... and I have seen bubbling.
This is not either.

Looks to me like it deformed on the edges, but if you're satisfied with that then what there is to discuss..
Mine deformed after first use, I could take a picture later, but dont know is there a point since there are already many pictures of top part becoming deformed or straight melting from a few use.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Looks to me like it deformed on the edges
Since yesterday, prior to taking these photos, and having the other 3 patients and wife be objective eyes for me, I have done about 20 more sessions at 400º.
EDIT - As a point of reference, here is what my unit looks like after 50 sessions and 132 minutes of continuous use.
So at this point my Alternate has totaled the same number of sessions as @IckiestOfTheSticky
I think it's holding up extremely well, and as you can tell I clean my unit thoroughly each time I use it to try and ensure I notice any changes.
Yours appears to be holding up very well. Thanks for posting the picture. It looks good!

mikee336

I just can't help but to feel as though your lid looks a lot like the portion of my lid that deformed. If you're happy with it then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Vj0Q4O4.jpg

mikee336,

Vitolo

Vaporist
There was a time, when for 6 entire pages in the Vapir NO2 thread was barraged by 3 members that called it the "Toxic Wand" and they claimed their units were melting. The 3 members went on for 6 pages, and said that the NO2 smelled like plastic, and was toxic. (It turned out 2 of the 3 members did not ever try the NO2!) I sent in pictures of mine (at the time it had been a daily driver for a year).
After a month of complaints they stopped, and the thread went on as normal.
An example post from this time frame is at http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapir-no2.1694/page-54#post-119450
I bought my NO2 a year before that post, and I am in touch closely with the CEO of Vapir, and the Owner as well.
I still use the same NO2 every day or two, but to this day it is perfect, and has no smell or melting spots.
Perhaps I am just lucky with vapes!
I know for detailed fact that the composition of the NO2 has not been altered, and it is the same as the 2010 version, except with an improved battery life.
Eventually the complaints ended.
Vapir NO2 now has outstanding sales, primarily by word of mouth.
About 15 local patients from my Vapor Trail Forum are 5 and 6 year owners of the NO2 and all still work for them.
I believe a similar situation exists here.
I believe @Vivant will do what they can to replace pieces for those that are complaining.
I also believe that the complaints will trail off, and the Vivant will have a steady following, and growth.
I now have 3 more patients locally that have ordered a Vivant Alternate.
That will make 5 Alternate vapes close to my home.
These are patients that I have close contact with, and I truly do not expect any of them to be disappointed.
Again.. I am not disbelieving those that say their units are cracking and smell of plastic... I only state that in the two I have used (1 being mine) I saw no evidence of this. Soon I will get to see 3 more Alternates in action.
If for some reason they have issues, I will tell about it here.

Last edited:

vapormens

There was a time, when for 6 entire pages in the Vapir NO2 thread was barraged by 3 members that called it the "Toxic Wand" and they claimed their units were melting. The 3 members went on for 6 pages, and claimed that the NO2 smelled like plastic, and was toxic. (It turned out 2 of the 3 members did not ever try the NO2!) I sent in pictures of mine (at the time it had been a daily driver for a year).
After a month of complaints they stopped, and the thread went on as normal.
An example post from this time frame is at http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapir-no2.1694/page-54#post-119450
I bought my NO2 a year before that post, and I am in touch closely with the CEO of Vapir, and the Owner as well.
I still use the same NO2 every day or two, but to this day it is perfect, and has no smell or melting spots.
Perhaps I am just lucky with vapes!
I know for detailed fact that the composition of the NO2 has not been altered, and it is the same as the 2010 version, except with an improved battery life.
Eventually the complaints ended.
Vapir NO2 now has outstanding sales, primarily by word of mouth.
About 15 local patients from my Vapor Trail Forum are 5 and 6 year owners of the NO2 and all still work for them.
I believe a similar situation exists here.
I believe @Vivant will do what they can to replace pieces for those that are complaining.
I also believe that the complaints will trail off, and the Vivant will have a steady following, and growth.
I now have 3 more patients locally that have ordered a Vivant Alternate.
That will make 5 Alternate vapes close to my home.
These are patients that I have close contact with, and I truly do not expect any of them to be disappointed.
Again.. I am not disbelieving those that say their units are cracking and smell of plastic... I only state that in the two I have used (1 being mine) I saw no evidence of this. Soon I will get to see 3 more Alternates in action.
If for some reason they have issues, I will tell about it here.

So you just passive-aggressively assume that anyone who has problems with this device must be lying..
That is for sure constructive talk right there. Thank you for your opinion, but I don't know how much that vaporizer you brought as an example relates in anyway to this device. When people here, including me, have device from Vivant that clearly have problems.
Yes, everyone expects that this issue will be addressed as soon as it can be. But just because you don't have problems with this device or devices does not mean that others cant have them.
Well at the end of your post you say:
"Again.. I am not disbelieving those that say their units are cracking and smell of plastic... I only state that in the two I have used (1 being mine) I saw no evidence of this."
Don't know how much that aligns with just "stating" at the beginning of your post.

Thank you for your opinion.

Prolusio

So you just passive-aggressively assume that anyone who has problems with this device must be lying..

Again.. I am not disbelieving those that say their units are cracking and smell of plastic... I only state that in the two I have used (1 being mine) I saw no evidence

I don't think anyone is saying anyone's concerns are invalid. Just because some have problems with this device does not mean others can't have a positive experience.

lemmeadem

Can everyone calm down this Hopper-thread-ish hostility going on? First of all, if some people are having problems and some aren't, how is it not a batch issue? As I proposed before, how does one deduce real failure numbers when we've got such a small sample group here and how would one really know whether or not the number of Alternates with problems is statistically more significant than your average convection vape?

Thus far Vivant have been much more communicative than they're required to be - an extremely hostile reception from a few disgruntled customers shouldn't be the story of this thread, so express your grievances and be as objective as possible in describing the problem or you're doing nothing to add to the dialogue surrounding this product.

I'm not saying don't address your concerns - please do - I'm saying don't come to the forum with unbridled anger and misplaced negativity. How does that get you anywhere?

I'll say it again - the Alternate is my high temp. vape and aside from a half dozen sessions I've only ever used it at 220c/428f and thus far it has held up fine for me.

Please try and have a wider perspective, this forum has been overrun lately by threads spiralling into negativity where there is no need for them to. A healthy dialogue with the company and our faithful FCers will do more to address concerns than the direction currently headed.

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
All this "heat" :evil: can be a thing of the past, if Vivante uses a high heat resistant composite for their casing, especially the cooling unit fitting, around the heater.

My Crafty/Mighty units are not "melting", or deformed. S&B must be using a plastic composite with high heat resistance.

The Alternate is a "work in progress", introduced perhaps a bit hastily......

Vivant's R&D I am sure will rectify this glitch in their future production units, in the name of health issues, and sales, of an otherwise nifty little vaporizer.

Be well. :tup:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

Our first rule here is "Be nice." This is not being nice. Don't characterize someone else's statements like this.

@vtac has already posted once that a materials safety issue must be moved to a General Discussion thread. If you or anyone else wants to continue this topic, make a new thread or be prepared to have your posts deleted.

Bitowzky

Another one bites the dust. :(

My Alternate has developed a crack on the mouthpiece, i only had it since 27/03. :/
I took good care of it, after each session(190-199c) i would take the mouthpiece off and let it cool down guess that didnt really help at all.

7BG7pVR.jpg

Last edited:

blackbur

Someone asked if they could do that a couple of weeks ago and the post was deleted.

Can't speak on other thread/post didn't have knowledge of it.
My thread is still up if anyone is interested in contributing opinions and experiences.
Just want to make sure things are handled appropriately.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Made a separate thread in general discussion regarding safety issues.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vivant-alternate-material-safety-issues.24150/
Thanks blackbur. I responded in that thread, but I'll post it here as well.

Thanks for showing the initiative blackbur. :tup: The forum rules do suggest keeping material safety questions out of vape specific threads. Similarly it tends to be more productive if materials safety threads are kept as non-vape-specific as possible. Without some special care unfortunately things can devolve into arguments with opposing sides even though we're all vape enthusiasts here.

When a material listing is obtained please feel free to create a thread here for discussing the materials themselves.

To be clear, constructive criticism posted in a respectful way is welcome in vape threads. Ensuring that one is tactful when posting and avoids rehashing issues if there's nothing new to add goes a long way to keeping things civil and informative!

Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation! :)

Again I understand how frustrating it is when your vape has issues. It's not easy keeping threads like this informative and fun, but I hope you can appreciate the reasoning. You'll have to pardon my ignorance regarding what has been done, but as always I suggest getting in touch with the manufacturer and laying out your concerns in a respectful manner. If you get some new information that isn't private, sharing it here is helpful to everyone.

Stinky

Cool. I thought the thread wasn't allowed when it was deleted. It will be good to find out the material that was used.

Stinky,

Chocu1a

I went ahead and sent mine back to PIU. They said I could get a refund since I have had 2 problems in such a short time. Hopefully Vivant gets to the bottom of these issues and comes out on top. Will keep my eye on the thread for future purchases.

ohmygodimsohigh

I had the chance to meet with Emily and check out the Vivant office a few days ago.
Everyone was friendly and genuinely interested in producing great products and great customer service.

I spied, with my little eye, the warranty and returns pile. Emily gave me permission to look closer and even take a pic. There weren't many devices in the pile. I could have counted them without taking my shoes off.

I talked vapes, and future vapes with one of their engineers. I can't share the details, but I am VERY excited about the ideas and technologies presented.

I also brought home some extra mouthpieces that I'll be using to test and mod.

Top Bottom