Multi-brand Vivant Alternate

Pecans

Hey everyone, just wanted to add that I've had my Alternate for a little less than a month now and last night part of the mouthpiece spontaneously cracked and a large chunk fell off. There was no cracking before and I haven't dropped the device at all. Used it fairly regularly since I got it however and almost always at a high temp. Also, the inside was all moist and sticky. I'm guessing it's buildup from the vaped material but I'm not sure how one would've gone about cleaning this normally, I think you'd have to disassemble the entire mouthpiece. The ring around my mouthpiece has also melted a little as mentioned by other users but I haven't noticed any impact on performance. Just hoping I didn't get any plastic in my lungs... Seems poorly designed. Guess it's back to my Flowermate for now :|

rCxKxLt.jpg

XstnzHc.jpg

Stinky

Drilled my alternate to seat a solo stem over the bowl - works well, isolates the airpath to just the heater and glass (for the most part) and is an apt solution to anyone having troubles with cracking/melting.

Cool. I've got solo stems, can we see some pics please?

lemmeadem

XD Probably best for me not to post photos here - check out Vape Dr. WPA on page 7 (?) - on account of how shoddy my DIY game is. It's pretty simple but you should be careful or you can mess up the airflow if you don't drill it tight enough. If that DOES happen, you might have to use high temp. gas/plumbers tape.

mourningbell

Certified human
Hey everyone, just wanted to add that I've had my Alternate for a little less than a month now and last night part of the mouthpiece spontaneously cracked and a large chunk fell off. There was no cracking before and I haven't dropped the device at all. Used it fairly regularly since I got it however and almost always at a high temp. Also, the inside was all moist and sticky. I'm guessing it's buildup from the vaped material but I'm not sure how one would've gone about cleaning this normally, I think you'd have to disassemble the entire mouthpiece. The ring around my mouthpiece has also melted a little as mentioned by other users but I haven't noticed any impact on performance. Just hoping I didn't get any plastic in my lungs... Seems poorly designed. Guess it's back to my Flowermate for now :|

rCxKxLt.jpg

XstnzHc.jpg
The mouthpiece is actually made to be taken apart and cleaned (you unscrew the screw next to the screen). It's kinda hard to get clean though. Idk why they didnt use a glass tube through the mouthpiece.

mourningbell,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Drilled my alternate to seat a solo stem over the bowl - works well, isolates the airpath to just the heater and glass (for the most part) and is an apt solution to anyone having troubles with cracking/melting.

Short Air stems with the plastic MP should work equally well, while minimizing the form factor.

Will drilling out the bowl àrea negate use of a cooling unit? :uhh:

Solo/Air stems work with the Mighty/crafty, without drilling.

Drilling out my Alternate? I donno.:shrug: Wish I have an alternate solution.:nod:

Last edited:

Pecans

The mouthpiece is actually made to be taken apart and cleaned (you unscrew the screw next to the screen). It's kinda hard to get clean though. Idk why they didnt use a glass tube through the mouthpiece.

Yeah I noticed that. I think there's a way you can take out the entire bottom too to get access at everything but I haven't played around with it since I never had to clean it.

Pecans,

Prolusio

@wickedflow I'd say it's quite good. The bowl has a smaller volume so it doesn't need as much to operate effectively as some of my other session portables. I can fill it with a single pinch of some fluffy ground herb. I know that's not an accurate measurement.. but it doesn't need much!

It's quite possible to fully extract a bowl without stirring or filling the bowl, you can just barely cover the screen or top it up, so I feel it uses battery power effectively. If you have some better quality 18650 than the stock one you can get quite a few sessions out of it.

I recorded my sessions last weekend, little different than my previous recordings...
Cold start powered by LG HG2; 3 min @ 210 C, 100% -> 95%.
Second bowl, cleared/repacked Vivant still warm, 3 min @ 210 C, 95% -> 87%.
I let it cool down to room temp and new bowl, 3 min @ 210, 87% -> 76%.
Cleared repacked still warm, 3 min @ 210, 76% -> 67%.
Same bowl turned up, 3 min @ 220, 67% -> 52%.

So it seems you get diminishing returns as the battery discharges, which is normal, but I feel like I could definitely get at least 2-3 more bowls out of that same battery. I'll try going till full discharge next time! (that's what she said)

So I guess it's up to you whether that meets your needs! But for me that's plenty of sessions for a portable, it extracts fully what you put in, and it's easy for me to have an extra 18650 fully charged on standby. So when it comes to efficiency I'm very satisfied with the Alternate.

IckiestOfTheSticky

Hey guys question. How do you think the Vivant is when it comes to efficiency?

I think the efficiency is actually really good. My AVB has a nice, even color, so I don't feel the need to stir or mess with it, and my preference is on a 3 minute session timer, and to me 6 minutes is actually a pretty good sweet spot to remain functional, as I'm more of a functional kind of consumer, rather than aiming to get completely effed every time. I always start at 375 for the first segment of my session, and then kick it up to 392 for the second session, which basically matches my Arizer Air White and Green temperature modes.

Most of the time when I get towards the end of the second segment of my session, I don't have much vapor visible, so I'd say it's excellent from an efficiency standpoint.

Povertysteak

hmmm, it's back for sale on dhgate.
weird, did they resolve the issue with the mouthpieces or are they still slanging the ones with the faulty mouthpices.

Povertysteak,

stark1

Lonesome Planet

@lemmeadem.

Did you drill out the heater aperture! What size bit, and what speed?

Vape Dr drilled out the cooling unit.

If you indeed were successful in enlarging the heater hole, you may have come across a solution to the cooling unit cracking.

If there is no direct contact of the cooling unit with the heater, the unit should be able to withstand catastrophic failure better .:peace:

Pictures, please!

xlr8shun

efficiency is excellent, regardless if i pack a small pinch (maybe just under .1g) or if i try and shove .3g in there.. the ABV always has a nice even brownness to it, no stirring required.

now, when i pack it in there so tight that it affects draw resistance, it can notice the very very top of the bowl, around the edges doesnt get quite as brown as the rest. but im obviously overpacking the bowl at that point so understandable.

Meach

Can someone post a video of this vape at some lower temps..YouTubers hitting this thing at 400+ degrees ..wanna see the vapor production at 380 or lower

Meach

Thanks @Vitolo! About to pull the trigger on a new vape and the 2 finalists are this and the cf or cfx...I know you have used almost every known Vito...if you had to choose just alternate or the boundless offerings which one would you take?

mourningbell

Certified human
Really damn good. That's a big reason I got the Alternate and it definitely pulls through. ABV doesn't get very dark bc of convection but the clouds have a clear stopping point, and the high hits me harder than I'd expect even when I only cover half the screen.

@wickedflow
Cold start powered by LG HG2; 3 min @ 210 C, 100% -> 95%.
Second bowl, cleared/repacked Vivant still warm, 3 min @ 210 C, 95% -> 87%.
I let it cool down to room temp and new bowl, 3 min @ 210, 87% -> 76%.
Cleared repacked still warm, 3 min @ 210, 76% -> 67%.
Same bowl turned up, 3 min @ 220, 67% -> 52%.

Yeah, my battery life is nothing like this with my stock battery. I'd be lucky to get 2/3 full bowls with this.

DarkSm0ke

w1gUwPM.jpg

Here's what the seller had to say about this. Not sure if he's resending me the whole unit or just he mouthpiece tho.

Looks like lead time is about 6-7 weeks for delivery. That would probably fall in line with a new production batch... of course this is all conjecture with a dash of hopeful thinking. Wouldn't make sense to make another production run if the issue has not been resolved. Keeping fingers crossed :nod:

OyVape

Upon closer inspection, the inside ring of my replacement mouthpiece is deforming . I think I'm gonna send the whole thing back to PIU and wait till this is resolved to purchase again.

squigger

I just got the alternate. When updating the firmware mine shows that it is hardware version is 1.1. Does anyone know what version the bad batch was in? Was version 1.0 even sold to anyone?

Also how many burn offs should i do and and at what temp. I did a minute burn off at 370 then a 2 minute burn off at 372. While doing this i put my nose over it and it was a nauseating plastic smell(which is not odd for plastic vape burn offs). My fault, I don't know what i was expecting... I have a slight headache now.

Also viviant, maybe change the frequency of the beep. Very close to a certain frequency that is incredibly annoying. The speaker might not be capable of playing anything else besides beeps. But imo if you really want some noise confirmation maybe something like
aaaawwwWWoooaA or if your able to actually play a noise created in a DAW then something that also has some bass that plays something different for if it reaches temperature something like boombim or for when the timer runs out have it something where the last note is lower and deeper,

Also, how do i use the airflow adjuster? do I just force to the top for a less free flow? The way it is by default is that the max airflow?
I just took apart the mouth piece it absolutely reeks of plastic and somehow made my headache slightly worse. Should i clean it with water or iso? I haven't used it yet but I cleaned my Boundless cf mouthpiece with iso before using it since i heard so much about the factory taste.

What's the consensus on the iso cleaning? half iso half water? 1/3 iso?

IckiestOfTheSticky

Upon closer inspection, the inside ring of my replacement mouthpiece is deforming . I think I'm gonna send the whole thing back to PIU and wait till this is resolved to purchase again.

Mine is doing this as well, the circle of the rim isn't perfectly round anymore I'm noticing where the rim is most affected, I've sent a PM to Vivant to see if they can help me with a replacement.

FWIW, my mouthpiece has never been over 400 degrees in its 168 minutes of usage as of writing this post. I know some were avoiding setting to the max of 428 degrees thinking there might be some correlation in running at max temp and damage to the mouthpiece.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Also how many burn offs should i do
In my view, as few as possible.
I believe that burn offs with no material in the vaporizer, may be the cause of issues some members have had. With herb in the unit, the herb absorbs the heat as hot air passes through it.
Leaving the oven turned on without herb and without doing hits puts a great deal of heat in one spot...
...the underside of mouthpiece.
The unit is made to draw hot air through herbal matter.
It was not designed to sit and cook with no air flowing through herb.
Just my opinion.
I have never done a burn off with any of over 100 vaporizers, and I still am on my original of every unit I own.
While free to disagree, please, do not barrage this post with criticism, I am just one user expressing an opinion.

Top Bottom