Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

kittyboy

How much water/heat do you use? I was thinking of going with the butter but the oil seemed so much easier.

I know I used far less than 2 oz of ABV and got a decent result. But the potency you're talking about intrigues me.

Well amount of water really doesnt matter but I start with 2 cups with 1/2 cup butter. bring water to boil and reduce hit to simmer Drop in butter and wait for it to melt. Water temp should stay between 175-190 degrees for duration. So not let it boil. Drop material in. I have included flower stems and Cover. I check temperature and stir. Some people use crock pot on low or warm setting. When I strain i use cheesecloth in a strainer. I heat more water up in microwave to help extract butter out by dipping or pouring hot water on cheesecloth while straining. When straining twist as well as compression methods and by adding hot water u help remove all butter. Then put in fridge overnight and butter will be on top. Using clarified butter will increase absorption IMO.

The whole point of using more is to make potency where one or two small cookies do effect of eating half of plate of brownies. Folks say my duff is better then using straight bud but that is probably due to them never using enough bud to get strength up. My vape remains had about 1/2 the amount of THC as the bud i started with. Had a test done just to see what was in duff. I have never made vape taste like popcorn so I know lots of material was left.

When I make cookies I use the bar method vs individual method. Cook a hole tray at onces and then cut to appropriate size. You can simmer your duff from 3-12 hours. I found the 4- 6 works well. If you want to have some real fun save that budder till you get another oz of VR and re do process. I call this doulbe infused budder. Only for pros......

:tup::rockon:

kittyboy,
Reactions: bigtvapes

bigtvapes

Thank you, sir. I may try this some time so I appreciate you posting your method.

bigtvapes,

bigtvapes

Sorry for the double post but there's no "edit" button on my last post. Maybe it's too old?

Either way, a new batch is being attempted eventually. I'm looking for ideas on how to improve taste, as the last batch tasted like a chocolate covered ashtray :-) It really wasn't that bad just trying to get better.

I'm going to use frozen peanut butter chips and shelled walnuts in a regular fudge brownie mix and hopefully that'll work. The only reason I'm freezing the pb chips is because I want them to hold up somewhat while baking. Then I'm going to rock a layer of pb on top of the brownie pan with chocolate syrup drizzled over it :-) I'm working on a half cup of oil this time around.

I'm not too keen on the suggestion of using creme de menthe chips because I don't really care for mint. But if this batch doesn't taste too good, I'll try it. So I went with pb and nuts to get it salty and crunchy. I will also strain the oil a little bit, just through a hand strainer to get the really thicker pieces out.

bigtvapes,

kittyboy

i would tinc having straining and getting all the ABV out of oil is best way to help flavor taste but also tinc that is y using water and butter is better. Some folks wash herb in hot water before making butter to take chloryphyl out etc. I found by not having dry material left in baking u dont have stinky craps etc. Much easier on system to just be butter then mixed IMO My cookies have very little herbal flavor. Another thing is you could add spices like nutmeg cinnamon to help as well good luck.

kittyboy,
Reactions: bigtvapes

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If you're grinding your ABV to powder and then leeching it into the oil with the cold infusion method I don't think there's going to be much to strain and I doubt it's going to have any major effect on the taste - but you will probably lose a little potency. Keeping it simple, the herbal taste is slight and it's not gross. Firecrackers, though, can be pretty hard to swallow. Not brownies, though. If I was going to experiment I might try added chocolate chips or maybe a little cacao powder.

jeffp,

bigtvapes

My grinder isn't the best. It gets mostly everything to a powder, but there's a few big chunks here and there that got through, which is why I think I might strain it a little. When those got caught in my teeth I wasn't having fun. We're talking like a hand strainer nothing crazy. My recipe calls for a little water so I figured I'd run the water through the strainer, get as much oil off of that as possible, and try it that way. I figured only big chunks of stems and stuff would be left.

But thank you for your response, Jeffp. I know potency was an issue last time so I really appreciate you remembering that and reminding me of the trade off.

bigtvapes,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Do you have an electric coffee bean grinder? That's what I use for brownie preparation. My normal handheld grinder is a two piece "space case" and it's great for preparing bud for vaporizing but it's not the best choice for grinding to powder for brownie preparation. I know you can get a decent coffee bean grinder for about $15 or so - somewhere a while ago someone posted a link to a recommended one. If I was on a super tight budget I would grab one used for $5 on craigslist. Another option which might be perfect, I don't know, is using a mortar and pestle. If you can mash the ABV to a powder that way the upside is that you won't have to dig out all the stuck ABV powder from the nooks and crannies in the coffee bean grinder. I might try that one day.

jeffp,

bigtvapes

Bought one at Walmart for $10 a few weeks ago. It works fine and I do like it, like I said, there are just a few big chunks here and there that get through.

bigtvapes,
Reactions: jeffp

bigtvapes

O.K. I did another batch. No strain. I just deferred to those wiser than me on this one and didnt.

I ate one with a friend this time around. While I was again disappointed by the potency, she was certainly not :-) So I'm the problem, not the method lol.

So plus 1 for JeffP's cold infusion method. It works! It's easy! It doesn't smell AT ALL so it's PERFECT for anyone living in an apartment. I'm serious while cooking it smells like nothing but brownies. The taste was a little better with the peanut butter chips, but I'm gonna have to try andes mint chips next time.

bigtvapes,
Reactions: jeffp

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Plus "the cold infusion method" is a very cool phrase to drop when you're explaining to your friends how you made them.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
So, I'm finally giving this a shot (well the Cold Infusion Cannaoil :-) ). I had about 30grams of ABV or so. I ground it up in a coffee grinder, and then put in a cleaned spaghetti sauce jar (where I've been keeping my ABV). So I put all the grounds in there, and then about a cup (maybe a little more) or canola oil. Shook it real good, stirred it, now it's in my closet sitting.

How long do I need to give it? 7 days? 10 days? Has the optimal time been determined?

Thanks for all your help, been reading threw this thread :-).

I didn't get brownies, I got Lemon cake mix which uses about a 1/2 cup of oil, I hope it doesn't taste like shit when I make it, but it might, LOL! :-)

newVaper420,

bigtvapes

The lemon cake is risky haha. I'm curious to know how this tastes when you're done. The super chocolate flavor of the brownies covers up a world of hurt lol.

I left my oil for 4 days the first time and for 5 days the second time. I'd probably go the extra day but from what I understand after a few days all the actives are extracted so all you are really doing is leaving a jar of black oil laying around if you leave it long enough. I don't really know though, as with this food stuff I'm basically going off of hearsay. All I can tell you to do is read as much as I did and hope you pick up some tips.

I never really felt much but I've determined the food high might just not be for me. Everyone else who has had my brownies has enjoyed them quite a bit :-)

Also, did you put vinegar in the jar?

bigtvapes,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
The lemon cake is risky haha. I'm curious to know how this tastes when you're done. The super chocolate flavor of the brownies covers up a world of hurt lol.

I left my oil for 4 days the first time and for 5 days the second time. I'd probably go the extra day but from what I understand after a few days all the actives are extracted so all you are really doing is leaving a jar of black oil laying around if you leave it long enough. I don't really know though, as with this food stuff I'm basically going off of hearsay. All I can tell you to do is read as much as I did and hope you pick up some tips.

I never really felt much but I've determined the food high might just not be for me. Everyone else who has had my brownies has enjoyed them quite a bit :-)

Also, did you put vinegar in the jar?

No about the vinegar, am I supposed to? Thanks for the tips :-)

newVaper420,

bigtvapes

Yea I add a spoonful in. I don't know why exactly, but these guys in this thrad did it so I did too. Some of the stuff I have read elsewhere indicates that vinegar facilitates extraction but I don't know for sure.

bigtvapes,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I recall that the person who suggested the vinegar and salt suggested that it works as a "detergent" but it also does stand to reason that it could aid in the extraction to an extent I think.

jeffp,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I recall that the person who suggested the vinegar and salt suggested that it works as a "detergent" but it also does stand to reason that it could aid in the extraction to an extent I think.

I'm gonna skip on the vinegar then, I think. Right now, it's a thick oily black sludgy thing in the closet. Maybe I should strain this. It's super thick with particles, LOL :-).

newVaper420,

bigtvapes

I was talking about straining. If you ground everything up properly you won't need to strain much. If you do strain, you run the risk of losing some potency.

bigtvapes,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I was talking about straining. If you ground everything up properly you won't need to strain much. If you do strain, you run the risk of losing some potency.

I did use a Coffee Grinder, and got it to almost a powder like consistency for the most part. Maybe I didn't put in enough oil. LOL :-). It's black sludge, hahaha.

newVaper420,

bigtvapes

It's supposed to be. Just keep shaking it every so often it shouldn't be too chunky.

bigtvapes,
I'll try this after building up some more ABV. I've never done a cold extraction in fat before.

kingofnull,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
a half cup of ABV is sufficient and a sizable amount for the project. Shaking it once a day is fine.
Five days leeching will do it. Then just follow the recipe using that oil and don't bake hotter than 325.
I have found the obvious - that it will take forever to amass 1/2 cup using a log vape.
And it will take less than forever if you're using something like a SSV.
So... what I've done in the past to reach 1/2 cup is add some fresh average quality bud to the ABV.

jeffp,

chimpybits

Hi jeffp and other cold infusion enthusiasts. I've made recently finished my second brownie batch using this method and have been very pleased with the results. Less weedy tasting this last time. 1/2 cup of loose ABV in the recipe yielding 8 pieces. 1 piece produces quite a strong long-lasting high; 1/2 piece approximates the level of high I'm used to from vaping, 2 pieces I assume would get me zonked. I've had some very sweet highs with these brownies.

Jeffp is that 1/2 cup of coffee-grinded ABV or loose?
Note that the recipe at the beginning of this thread uses 1/2 cup loose ABV and states that "Generally, you'll need at least as much oil as you have herb, as measured in a measuring cup." This is as I've done (specifically, 1/2 cup loose ABV, 1/2 cup canola oil, then proceeding to grind the ABV and add 1/2 tsp vinegar, pinch salt, and 1 tsp soy lecithin). I would like to use less oil but I know that at a certain point this will weaken the potency as there won't be enough to absorb the goodies.

Coconut oil?
I do have in mind a few tweaks to possibly improve the potency and taste. I'm interested in trying coconut oil instead next time. This would require I keep the oil above 77C for it to be liquid - warm infusion if you will. So, I would either have to double-boiler it or perhaps get a hot plate or a hot box via a lamp and box. I assume I would heat it somewhat beyond 77C so that the oil is less viscous. Naturally, this goes against the wisdom of cold infusion in a cool, dark place. Thoughts on trying this with coconut oil?

Straining?
Also, I'd like to somehow try to combine cold-infusion with straining by bundling my ground ABV in a very fine cheesecloth sack or something and immersing that in the oil for several days. Perhaps I would daily remove this sack and mix up the contents as best I can and re-immerse. Obviously, the porousness of the sack or whatever would be key. Reason for including any straining is a friend's slight tummy upset. Thoughts?

I might also add some fresh herb next time. It does take me 7 months to gather 1/2 cup loose ABV from my SSV sessions. I should really try a better brownie recipe (than the Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge) - perhaps from scratch. I do struggle to adequately mix the thick oil with the dry goods without somehow over stirring and producing too hard brownies. So, my friend is less than impressed with the consistency and stomach upset, but happy with the high. I'm less bothered, but aim to please and enjoy making improvements.

chimpybits,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
@chimpybits- i remember going into a tea store a week ago and finding these tea bags that you could put your own herbal mix in to make your own tea. i was considering using something like this for my next ABV ISO wash but haven't made up my mind yet. maybe this is something that might work for you?

HighlyEducatedScholar,

bigtvapes

Chimpy, I personally measure my materials after they are ground up. Just my preference. It's more precise this way. Things break up and get lost in the grinding process a bit and adds a slight variable to t he end result. It's slight, and not a big deal, but when everything already ground up I know EXACTLY how much I used.

I like to know. And I recommend you do the same until you make a few batches (giggity) and discover your own personal preference. You might want to add more or less materials to your next batch to find your own preference level.

With straining, the concern is loss of potency. My line of thinking (based on what I've read here mostly) is that a little extra goodies are in the stuff that would be strained out. So if you have a coffee grinder and made the pieces extras fine, whatever is left after the leeching process is so small, insignificant, and/or soft that when thrown into brownie mix, it's virtually unnoticeable. I just made sure I gave my stuff as fine a grind as possible and it's worked out better as I made more batches (giggity).

bigtvapes,

chimpybits

Good tip HighlyEducatedScholar on the tea bags idea. I'm sure I could find something in my neck of the woods.

Chimpy, I personally measure my materials after they are ground up. Just my preference. It's more precise this way. Things break up and get lost in the grinding process a bit and adds a slight variable to t he end result. It's slight, and not a big deal, but when everything already ground up I know EXACTLY how much I used.

I like to know. And I recommend you do the same until you make a few batches (giggity) and discover your own personal preference. You might want to add more or less materials to your next batch to find your own preference level.

With straining, the concern is loss of potency. My line of thinking (based on what I've read here mostly) is that a little extra goodies are in the stuff that would be strained out. So if you have a coffee grinder and made the pieces extras fine, whatever is left after the leeching process is so small, insignificant, and/or soft that when thrown into brownie mix, it's virtually unnoticeable. I just made sure I gave my stuff as fine a grind as possible and it's worked out better as I made more batches (giggity).
So, what then would be quantities of finely ground ABV and oil per batch? 1/2 cup finely ground ABV and 1/2 cup oil? It would take me literally years to get that much ABV. I get that the measurements are more precise using ground material.

I know that us cold-infusion folks prefer not to strain in order to maximize potency and that is one of the reason I went with this method. I agree that after the coffee grinding and leeching the ABV material is very well dissolved into the oil and shouldn't present any gastric issues. On the other hand, I would think that there wouldn't be much goodies left in the finely ground ABV sack after several days of leeching. I guess I could just try it to find out if there is any difference in terms of potency and tummy.

chimpybits,
Top Bottom