Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I'm on day 2 of leeching. Have about 20g doing it's thing in canola oil. I'm giving jeffp's method a go, and I will not be straining the abv at all. It should be a good weekend!

Peloton,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Success! Cold infusion definitely works. I made a 13x9 pan with creme de menthe chips and pecans. They taste absolutely delicious, no taste or texture of the abv. A friend and I both enjoyed 2 each (they're dosed about 1g per brownie) and got pretty wrecked. Thanks to vtac for the awesome guide, and to jeffp + others for the great info on cold infusion.

Peloton,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Success! Cold infusion definitely works. I made a 13x9 pan with creme de menthe chips and pecans. They taste absolutely delicious, no taste or texture of the abv. A friend and I both enjoyed 2 each (they're dosed about 1g per brownie) and got pretty wrecked. Thanks to vtac for the awesome guide, and to jeffp + others for the great info on cold infusion.

Cool. I wouldn't give you a bum steer man.....
glad you like!

I must strain my herb. I understand why some don't, but it rips up my gut and intestines. What I do is use coconut oil, extra virgin, and strain it through cheese cloth. Now we all know there is still oil in the cheese cloth and saturated product, so I let the cheese cloth cool, and place it in a bowl in my fridge. The oil will turn solid and store well, so the next time I want to get z00ted I will take the cheese cloth with the oil, and place in a warm, not boiling pot of water (or milk, cream, orange juice). The oil will melt into a liquid and seep into the liquid in the pot. Move the cheese cloth around, press it with a spoon to squeeze out as much oil, remove the cheese cloth, and drink! Makes a good hot chocolate, simple syrup, whatever really. Just make your oil really potent.

Icculus Forbin,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Hi guys I'm going to give Jeff's great-sounding cold infusion method a try. I have about 22g of AVB and 10g of stems.
I know there's debate over strain versus no strain so I was planning on using two jars for leeching - one for the AVB which will not be strained before being added to the mix and one for the stems which will.
Does that sound like a good idea?

Also I don't have an electric coffee grinder so can't really grind up the stems into a powder.

wilf789,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Hi guys I'm going to give Jeff's great-sounding cold infusion method a try. I have about 22g of AVB and 10g of stems.
I know there's debate over strain versus no strain so I was planning on using two jars for leeching - one for the AVB which will not be strained before being added to the mix and one for the stems which will.
Does that sound like a good idea?

Also I don't have an electric coffee grinder so can't really grind up the stems into a powder.

To be honest wilf, I think it is way easier to not strain it. There's less possibility of lost actives, and I've never found ABV to irritate my stomach (though I don't have a sensitive stomach, so YMMV if you do). And it's a lot less messy when all you have to do is open your oil jar after 4-5 days and pour it into the brownie mix :). It will definitely be more of a sludge than an oil at that point, I think it could be quite the hassle to strain. But I wouldn't recommend this if you plan on using the stems also, as I would definitely want to strain those out.. which might be difficult if you grind them for the leeching process. I made 20 brownies with ~20g of ABV from mostly high grades and no stems, they came out impressively strong for being from left over material.

Whatever you do please keep us updated, I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

Peloton,
Reactions: jeffp

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Thanks for your response mate.

Yeah I was thinking of keeping the jar with the AVB oil unstrained, and then have another oil jar with the unground stems, which I would then have to strain unless I wanted brownies filled with little sharp bits!

Also I noticed Jeff recommended canola oil - I don't have any at the moment and don't really want to buy any as I'm about to move to Canada next week - do people think vegetable or olive oil work just as well?

wilf789,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Thanks for your response mate.

Yeah I was thinking of keeping the jar with the AVB oil unstrained, and then have another oil jar with the unground stems, which I would then have to strain unless I wanted brownies filled with little sharp bits!

Also I noticed Jeff recommended canola oil - I don't have any at the moment and don't really want to buy any as I'm about to move to Canada next week - do people think vegetable or olive oil work just as well?

That sounds like a good plan to me wilf. I used canola oil also, but any oil with similar fat content (aka really high) will work just as well. I remember finding fat% numbers of different oils on google somewhere when I was looking into it.

As a little bit of a side note to other readers who don't know already, apparently coconut oil would be one of the more effective (and healthiest) ones to use for this process because of its composition, but unfortunately it goes solid at room temperature. I wonder if a candle warmer could be used to overcome this.

Peloton,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
A candle warmer is a very interesting idea; I'd love to experiment by trying a batch with cocoanut oil. The taste of the brownies would improve tremendously as cocoanut is very delicious. I do not use PAM to lube the glass brownie pan, I use a little canola oil that I spread out - but just a little.

I didn't actually conceive of the idea of cold infusion per se. What happened was that I was searching around for a recipe for firecrackers and someone posted that rather than baking firecrackers, better results were achieved in this manner so i thought - hmmm there's no reason why this wouldn't apply to oil/bud for brownies. Originally I would "leech" for about 7 days but a while ago a chemist here suggested that 4 or 5 days should be optimum and he also suggested a dash of salt and vinegar to serve as a detergent. Either or, I've been quite pleased with the results.

Yes, there has to be some loss of material with straining, and I'm of the opinion that simmering causes some loss too. That heavy pot smell from simmering has to be loss. None of that happens with the cold infusion sans straining.

Regarding canola oil, if you're moving and don't want to buy a full bottle which would go to waste, perhaps you have a friend or family member who would allow you to take 1/2 a cup's worth because that's all you need and it's very little. I have no experience with other oils for brownies so I can't offer an alternative suggestion.

Let us know how it works out for you.

jeffp,

enthulhu

If you read this thread you'll see step by step instructions on how to do this without simmering. Here, I'll save you the trouble: Mix a half cup of very finely ground herb (electric coffee grinder til powder) with a half cup of canola oil.
Add a dash of salt and a teaspoon of vinegar. This should be in something like a Mason jar. Shake it, seal it, and put it on a dark corner of your kitchen cabinet, or desk drawer, or something like that. Leave it alone for four or five days except to shake it once a day for good measure.

It's done. No simmering, no smell. Follow the brownie recipe that's on the box. The recipe will call for oil, this is the oil you use. Don't heat the oven higher than 325 even if the recipe calls for 350. Use the toothpick method to determine if the brownies are done - you may have to bake them a few minutes longer than the recipe calls for because of slightly lower temp.
I recommend you spend a few minutes reading this thread for little tips and tricks but this is the basic procedure.
They will keep in the freezer for a few weeks so go easy on them....
If you haven't done edibles before understand that this is going to be a different experience. Best to start off with only one brownie and see where it takes you and gauge that for your next go round.
It takes about 90 minutes for the effects to really hit you so be patient.
Make sure you're in for the night and especially do not drive or even think about doing any coordinated functioning.
Expect to be fully blitzed for a good six hours.

I swear by this method, usually use an entire oz of ABV
Also Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix is perfect!
It requires a 1/2 cup of oil and to be cooked baked at 325.
and use a 6x4 mini muffin pan. You'll thank me :)

enthulhu,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Unless there's a sudden need for brownies which is impossible, I'll probably never do the simmering route again. It's all pluses and side benefits - no smell, easier, probably a little stronger.
An ounce seems like overkill though. Let me ask you - if you were to measure your ABV in a measuring cup, how many 1/2 cups would equal an ounce, roughly?

jeffp,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I've settled on using around an ounce per batch also, but I use a 13x9 pan and cut it into 20+ pieces. Usually a single 1-1.5g brownie gets you higher than you probably should be, 2+ shoots you into space for some orbit time. I love my cold infused brownies, and it is so laughably easy and effective I'm not sure why it isn't more popular than it is. I guess it does almost sound too good to be true - but dammit, it sure never lets me down!

And I do like the muffin pan idea, that would be perfect for dosing... thanks enthulhu!

Peloton,

bigtvapes

JeffP my ABV pre-ground was a half of a cup was between 6 and 7 grams, which is basically a quarter ounce.

I tried making ABV brownies today it didn't work out. Here's what I did maybe we can figure out where I went wrong:

1) I took about a half ounce of ABV and fine ground it in an electric coffee grinder. Ground down to about 1/4 cup. I also threw in some fresh, but not alot. Maybe like a gram.
2) Drank a water bottle, placed the ground ABV & herb and 1/4 cup of canola oil in the water bottle and shook it very well, and placed it in a metal cabinet where no light could get to it (no reason other than JeffP said he taped up his bottle to block light. Not sure of the science behind it but that's what I did. Shook it up every day maybe two or three time a day.
3) Today, I simply busted out the brownie mix and made it up. It called for 1/4 cup of oil, 1/4 cup of water, and one egg. Cooked it per instructions which was at 350 for 30 minutes.
4) I let them cool for about 45 minutes and cut them into 8 pieces and had one. Felt nothing whatsoever. Tried a second one about 15 minutes ago and again, nothing.

The taste is actually fine. There's that "herbal" taste to it but they don't taste nasty and ashy as I've heard other people describe them. It was a cheap brownie mix with walnuts in it that I found at walmart. They're really tasty! The thing is they just don't get me medicated AT ALL. Now I'd eaten breakfast already and I know that's a factor. I'll try again in the AM next time I have a day off and see if I feel anything. So where did I go wrong? I know I used 1/4 cup of oil and not 1/2 but I figured as long as the same amount of ABV was in there the oil would be just as strong. And that's what the brownies called for. Did I use the wrong type of oil (gonna try coconut next time I think)? Did I not use enough ABV? Not enough fresh? Did I not let it sit long enough? It sat from Wednesday around 5PM and then I started cooking the brownies today around 11 AM. Any advice from the more experienced vape chefs around here is always appreciated.

No matter what I'm gonna build up my ABV again and do this again. I love the idea of cooking with ABV because I want to do something with it but I hate the idea of smoking it. Seems barbaric.

bigtvapes,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
JeffP my ABV pre-ground was a half of a cup was between 6 and 7 grams, which is basically a quarter ounce.

I tried making ABV brownies today it didn't work out. Here's what I did maybe we can figure out where I went wrong:

1) I took about a half ounce of ABV and fine ground it in an electric coffee grinder. Ground down to about 1/4 cup. I also threw in some fresh, but not alot. Maybe like a gram.
2) Drank a water bottle, placed the ground ABV & herb and 1/4 cup of canola oil in the water bottle and shook it very well, and placed it in a metal cabinet where no light could get to it (no reason other than JeffP said he taped up his bottle to block light. Not sure of the science behind it but that's what I did. Shook it up every day maybe two or three time a day.
3) Today, I simply busted out the brownie mix and made it up. It called for 1/4 cup of oil, 1/4 cup of water, and one egg. Cooked it per instructions which was at 350 for 30 minutes.
4) I let them cool for about 45 minutes and cut them into 8 pieces and had one. Felt nothing whatsoever. Tried a second one about 15 minutes ago and again, nothing.

The taste is actually fine. There's that "herbal" taste to it but they don't taste nasty and ashy as I've heard other people describe them. It was a cheap brownie mix with walnuts in it that I found at walmart. They're really tasty! The thing is they just don't get me medicated AT ALL. Now I'd eaten breakfast already and I know that's a factor. I'll try again in the AM next time I have a day off and see if I feel anything. So where did I go wrong? I know I used 1/4 cup of oil and not 1/2 but I figured as long as the same amount of ABV was in there the oil would be just as strong. And that's what the brownies called for. Did I use the wrong type of oil (gonna try coconut next time I think)? Did I not use enough ABV? Not enough fresh? Did I not let it sit long enough? It sat from Wednesday around 5PM and then I started cooking the brownies today around 11 AM. Any advice from the more experienced vape chefs around here is always appreciated.

No matter what I'm gonna build up my ABV again and do this again. I love the idea of cooking with ABV because I want to do something with it but I hate the idea of smoking it. Seems barbaric.

Hey man, sounds like you did your research which is good. It usually takes brownies about 2 hours to get to me good, hopefully it'll sneak up on ya here shortly :)

Also glad to hear you're willing to give it another go. Since you said are looking for feedback for next time, here's my take:

-Canola oil works great. It's what I've always used. The only oil I'd consider trying to use otherwise is coconut, so let us know how that goes if you try that.

-4 days of sitting/shaking is sufficient, that's what I've always done.. 4 or 5.

-I would try to find a recipe that calls for a 1/2 cup of oil, the more the merrier. You don't want to short yourself on the oil since that is what makes this recipe so damn effective.

-An empty stomach does indeed help, but it's not a deal breaker for me personally.

Let us know if they sneak up on you this afternoon though! I'm hoping that's what will happen. If not, I guess you'll just have to vape more so you can try again :)

Peloton,

bigtvapes

It's been about one and a half hours and it never really medicated me. To say I'm not feeling it at all would be inaccurate. Stuff kinda kicked in. But I'm feeling like a little drowsy and sleepy, almost like I took a half of a benadryl or something. Not really what I was hoping for.

I cut them into eight pieces and had two earlier (about 45 minutes apart from each other) so I still have six pieces left. I'm going to try to just eat like two of them first thing in the morning and see how I feel. I had a coke with them so maybe that counter-acted it or something but I doubt it makes much of a difference. Maybe I'll just try it with water when I try again.

But I look back and the 1/4 cup of oil was definitely a mistake. I'll try it again with 1/2 cup of oil with a different recipe.

Do you think I used enough ABV? It was about 1/2 cup BEFORE I ground it up. I'd say most of it was just hand ground before that. After I mixed in about a gram of fresh and threw it through the fine grinder, it was about 1/4 cup of material.

I think next time I'm going to try 1/2 cup of fine ground ABV with 1/2 cup of oil.

bigtvapes,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
It's been about one and a half hours and it never really medicated me. To say I'm not feeling it at all would be inaccurate. Stuff definitely kicked in. But I'm feeling like a little drowsy and sleepy, almost like I took a half of a benadryl or something. Not really what I was hoping for.

I cut them into eight pieces and had two earlier (about 45 minutes apart from each other) so I still have six pieces left. I'm going to try to just eat like two of them first thing in the morning and see how I feel. I had a coke with them so maybe that counter-acted it or something but I doubt it makes much of a difference. Maybe I'll just try it with water when I try again.

Hmm... another thing, what quality of flowers are you working with, and how dark do you usually vape it?

Peloton,

bigtvapes

They're middies. Nothing special but not garbage either.

And this batch of ABV is a little mixed. I am new to vaping so the stuff from my DBV varies. Some of it was super cooked. Some of it not so much. I burnt a little bit here and there by accident but that stuff got thrown out I didn't use it in this mix. I'd say for the most part now tho I don't really cook the hell of my flowers. I like a nice medium heat, makes it last longer and I feel just fine. The ABV from my Puffit is all evenly light brown throughout. That thing cooks the flowers evenly every time, not too much not too little.

Oh well I'm going to try again some day. When I do I'll post my results. I'm going to go with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup fine ground abv, and 1/2 cup of oil.

bigtvapes,
Reactions: Peloton

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I don't think the vinegar and a bit of salt is going to make any major difference potency wise. That was suggested by a chemist here as a "detergent" which actually makes sense. It also, in my opinion, probably exasperates the leeching to a slight extent. It is really difficult to ascertain why the brownies didn't put you on your ass. For me, personally, since I started vaping I tend to go after the best possible bud I can find since "count" and "quantity" have become less relevant. My guess is that if you're going with "mids" or "regs" try dumping in a little more fresh bud into the coffee grinder next go round. Or, more ABV for that matter, or even better, both. :) Also, I would not use a plastic water bottle for leeching - there's a concern of bpa leeching into the oil especially with the vinegar. I'm sure you can find a glass jar laying around, a jelly jar, etc., or you can get a mason type jar for $1 at the dollar store.

**EDIT**
Actually I'm trying to envision getting all of that goo out of a water bottle and it seems like you lost a bit because a bit of it gets stuck at the bottom and around the sides and you kind of need a spoon or something to get it all out which would be impossible with a water bottle unless you cut it open. Next time try it with a wide mouth jar for all these reasons.

jeffp,
Reactions: Peloton

bigtvapes

My recipe called for water so I ran the 1.4 cup of water through the water bottle, shook it up, and put it in the mix.

bigtvapes,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
My recipe called for water so I ran the 1.4 cup of water through the water bottle, shook it up, and put it in the mix.

I do the same thing when I add water to my mix... measure it out in my mason jar that I had oil in, shake, and that gets most of anything that was left over out of the jar. Good stuff dude.

Peloton,

bigtvapes

So I had off today and ate a couple early this AM.... yea.... much much better lol. First time I cut the brownies into 8 piece and had two about an hour apart from each other. This time I had both pieces at the same time and ate em on an empty stomach.

Not saying I'm on another planet or anything, but given the quality of materials I'm dealing with I have to say, VERY pleased with the result :-)

bigtvapes,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
So I had off today and ate a couple early this AM.... yea.... much much better lol. First time I cut the brownies into 8 piece and had two about an hour apart from each other. This time I had both pieces at the same time and ate em on an empty stomach.

Not saying I'm on another planet or anything, but given the quality of materials I'm dealing with I have to say, VERY pleased with the result :-)

ABV brownies: The best "leftovers" around! Glad you found success.

Peloton,

kittyboy

I have never used the oil method but go with clarrified butter and heat in water for 4- 8 hours.
I then strain and let sit in fridge. using vape remains leaves a wonderful flavor and I agree I don't want the leaves etc in food. I use 2 oz to 1/2 cup of butter. I find this will give you about 20-30 doses. I had some cookies tested by knowyourgrow and it had 7 mg /gram thc 1.5 cbd and 4.8 cbn. THis way you dont need such a big dose of food to get maximum effect...

People are amazed when i tell em I already smoked what they are eating...:bowdown:

kittyboy,

bigtvapes

How much water/heat do you use? I was thinking of going with the butter but the oil seemed so much easier.

I know I used far less than 2 oz of ABV and got a decent result. But the potency you're talking about intrigues me.

bigtvapes,
Nice!!! Good quick way to make it! I do the same but with a crock pot mini called the crockette or something. It let the ABV and oil sit in that for 24 to 36 hours. Then I strain everything and just use the oil like you did. It really doesn't taste like much when I do it this way. I have had friends rice crispy treats and cookies made from butter I just want to puke thinking about the taste. When I do it this way with the oil and strain everything very thoroughly(I actually use cheese cloth) my brownies have a hint of the taste but basically taste just like any brownie. I also recommend using ghirardelli brownie mix. I always make sure to use one with fudge chucks in it as well, as that always masks the taste perfectly too. Also I usually don't discard the chunked remains left from the straining. My gf is a chef so she figured out that we could make fudge out of it and then use that fudge as topping for our brownies or whatever. :)

EDIT: Oh I also forgot to note that I usually wait till I have 30+ grams of ABV before I make a thing of oil. I usually use a cup and a half as those brownies I use ask for a bit more oil then most. Oooo and also if you plan on making these I would invest in a small coffee grinder to get it smaller so you can have more herb to add and not have to add a shitton more oil to compensate.

VapeNStone,
Top Bottom