Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

greystr0ke

I made some of these once again on Sunday night and they have been deemed my strongest yet. I had about 45 grams of ABV from the SSV and the Launch Box saved up that I didn't think would have much goodies left in them. I ended up only using 28 grams though, thankfully! Once done, I cut into 9 pieces.

I ate one and about 15 minutes later I headed to a friends house to drop off some. About 30 minutes after ingesting mine, I could already feel it. I knew they were gonna be strong because usually it takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to feel them. Shortly after dropping some off at my friends place I had to head home because I knew I was about to be couch locked. Once I got home I was so high that I couldn't even walk my dogs. I had the spins so bad as well as the sweats that all I could do was just lay down on my couch and pass out. I woke up 5 hours later to my dogs licking my face wanting to go out for a walk. I was still practically hallucinating. The next day of work was the absolute worst.

My friends all texted me the next day describing their experiences. One claimed he almost had a seizure, the other threw up, and the other was just really really high. lol. No one could believe that this was the result of already used bud.

This was my first batch using ABV from the SSV so I wasn't expecting results like this. Also, instead of simmering in the oil from an hour, I let the ABV simmer for an hour and a half. Not sure if that made a difference.

greystr0ke,

Nerdcore

Hey I gotta question, can I use a crockpot instead of doing on the stovetop? I live in apt and don't have any extractor fans in the kitchen but I do have a ill balcony where i can safely place a crockpot without stinking the place up. I know plenty of people use the crock method but I just want to double check cause I'm a slow vaper, took me months to accumulate half cup of abv, and I don't want to f this up! Also for a lightweight what would be a good gram per dose range? One gram of abv per brownie, give or take? I have had horrible trips on brownies from SF pot store waaaaaay too strong, but if the abv is just body high I don't mind a strong long lasting high. Thanks for any help y'all can give, I'll be doing this next week, cannot freaking wait!

Nerdcore,

Nerdcore

Oh also, what's the worst I can expect if I'm too lazy to strain the herb from the oil? I'm gonna grind into powder with coffee grinder, but will leaving plant in e oil make it taste worse?

Nerdcore,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Nerdcore, I'm not sure about the crockpot - someone else will surely chime in on that - but I've found that using the "leeching" method (read this thread back more toward the beginning) you won't have to deal with the smell or if you do it will be very slight during the baking of the brownies. You'll also get slightly improved results as well. A half cup of ABV to a half cup of canola oil, grind the plant matter with an electric coffee grinder so it's powder then dump it in a jar with the oil (you'll want to use a toothpick or something to draw out all the material from the blades of the grinder). Put a little bit of vinegar and a dash of salt in there (this will serve as a detergent and help with the leeching as well). Shake it up and store it in a dark place for four days - every day shake it again. By the fourth day the powder will be immersed in the oil so there will be virtually nothing to strain - at this point just mix that oil into the brownie mix and follow the brownie directions to proceed. If the recipe calls for heating at 350, heat for 325 but possibly for a slightly longer time than the recipe calls for.
I live in an apartment too and when I've simmered the oil and bud it stunk up the hallway bad - everyone knew that I was up to no good. With the leeching method i get better results and very little smell.

Nerdcore

Jeffp, I'll be sure to read more closely about this method, sounds too good to be true. No heat at all? I'm assuming people have had success with this but doesn't it defy intuition? Damn, it's really ideal for me and I don't mind waiting, but it there any way to verify that it actually works as good as cooking?

Nerdcore,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Wait for others who have tried it to chime in, but yes, it works and in my opinion it works even a little bit better than simmering.
It's called "cold infusion" - it infuses through time instead of heat.
I was leeching for one week but someone here who seems authoritative suggested only four days. The reasoning was that this would help you avoid the oil going rancid but I think a week is fine - I've never experienced that.
It's only my opinion but I somehow believe that the reason why leeching works better (gets you more fucked up) is that the strong smell from an hour of simmering represents precious heady cannabinoids going up in smoke. If so, that's a waste, right?

Again, wait for someone else to verify what I'm saying before you make a decision.

Also, whether you simmer or leech I personally see no upside to straining. It's a hassle and there's no real heavy taste of herb in the brownies if you just dump the whole gooey shebang into the brownie mix. Maybe a slight taste; it's nothing.

jeffp,

Nerdcore

Jeff, just finished grinding and mixing salt oil and braggs apple cider vinegar:) I read through everyone's experiences and was more than convinced. Now I'm wondering what to do about dosing because I don't want to have a miserably strong trip, just a few solid hours of stoned, you know? With half a cup of light brown with some green specs abv, mid weed, how should I divide the batch? Six pieces? Maybe ten?

Nerdcore,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
hope you didn't put too much vinegar and salt into the mix - just a little bit. a teaspoon of vinegar and a dash of salt. no matter.
regarding how much to eat - there's alot of variables to consider. the potency of the herb, your own level of resistance and body weight and the size of the brownies, off the top of my head.
just take one. next time if it's not enough eat two. remember to wait two hours before ascertaining how good they are. personally one is more than enough for me. a friend of mine likes to eat three but i think he's insane.
also they will keep in the freezer for a good few weeks.
your brownies should be ready to bake by thursday....
remember keep the jar with the canola oil and ABV powder sealed and kept in a cool dark place like a kitchen cabinet and give a shake every day for the four day or five day duration.
equal amount canola oil (half cup) to the (half cup) of ABV.

that's pretty much it. if you've not done this before understand that this is heavier than vaping and longer lasting. expect to be very high for a good five hours once it kicks in. so don't plan on driving.

jeffp,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
@jeffp
i remember reading about your "leeching" method a while back before i joined as a member. i plan on using this method soon and was thinking about letting the cannaoil sit for a full week. although, i have never heard of adding vinegar and salt but will most likely try it to see how the results are. i'll make sure to post up my results here once i use the cannaoil in some brownies probably around new years. out of curiousity, where did you stumble on the idea of adding vinegar and salt?

HighlyEducatedScholar,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I read about the suggestion about vinegar and salt right here within this thread. It's function is as a detergent. It's not a bad idea, and possibly it exasperates the infusion to a slight extent as well.
As I recall the whole concept of the leeching came about from google searching "firecracker" recipes and I read that some people prefer not to bake them but rather to let the tiny psychedelic sandwich sit for a period of time while covered in aluminum foil - that the results are better - so I thought why wouldn't this apply to brownies as well?

jeffp,

Nerdcore

Jeff when I asked about dose I meant how many doses should I expect from half a cup of abv, how many brownies will that make. Does that make sense? Half cup is usually around 15-16 grams, but how many grams of abv is enough for one person of medium tolerance to have a solid fun high. Just a ballpark is all, I realize it's impossible to be exact. Not sure if I should cut up 16 brownies (roughly one gram per brownie) or closer to eight.

Nerdcore,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
it depends Nerdcore. dosage will vary on variables such as your definition of "medium tolerance", how dark your ABV is, etc. 16grams cut up into 16 brownies would be 1 gram of ABV per brownie. doubled dosage if you cut 8 brownies. if you want to try to 'feel out' how much a gram dose of your ABV would be like, then just smoke 1g of it and go off that.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
HighlyEducatedScholar said:
it depends Nerdcore. dosage will vary on variables such as your definition of "medium tolerance", how dark your ABV is, etc. 16grams cut up into 16 brownies would be 1 gram of ABV per brownie. doubled dosage if you cut 8 brownies. if you want to try to 'feel out' how much a gram dose of your ABV would be like, then just smoke 1g of it and go off that.

I wouldn't over think this. You won't be able to anyway, after two hours. You have the recipe and procedure, just start with one brownie and see how you feel and gauge it on that basis for the next go round.
I would suggest that you put the rest of the brownies AWAY after you eat one because you may find yourself munching on them half unconsciously as you go along which could be a huge mistake!

jeffp,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
+1 to jeffp. Edibles can cause dysphoria, at the very least, to the uninitiated or careless.

t-dub

t-dub,

mscm888

I had 15 grams of ABV (light brown to dark brown but no green) that I used to make brownies following the OP instructions. The recipe called for 1/3 cup oil and 2 table spoons water. I used 1/3 cup oil (Crisco vege oil) and substituted 2 more table spoons of oil in place of the water. This gave me a pretty even ABV to oil mix when I started. I used cheese cloth and a mesh strainer to try and get all the good oil into the mixture. I ended up with 100ml of processed oil.

The brownies cooked like a charm and came out looking fabulous and smelling delicous. I used an 8"x8" baking dish and cut the batch into 6 squares (roughly 2.5 gram ABV each). My wife and I took one about 15 minutes ago on an empty stomach and without having vaped today. I'll post with a review of how potent they ended up being.

Thanks OP for the great idea and to all others who added wisdom and experience to this thread.

Edit: The brownies turned out medium strength which was fine. We were both medicated with a mild body and mind high that lasted most of the afternoon.

Merry Christmas all!

mscm888,

Nerdcore

just want to report back about my experience with the leeching method. total success! with half a cup of abv which ive estimated to be around fifteen grams, half cup of grapeseed oil, teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, pinch of salt sitting in cupboard for not quite four days yielded sisteen servings of brownies based on a homemade recipe i found online. full effect required two brownies so i eight FULL doses (high for a solid seven hours). this was a perfect experience, couldnt have been easier, didnt smell at all, and the most pleasurable high ive had in years.

as an experiment, i licked the spoon after making brownie batter just to see it the raw oil had an effect and it had a STRONG effect, so my next experiment will be with a no bake brownie. i believe that cooking at 320 may have diminished the potency, but perhaps not. ill try something when i build up enough abv.

thanks for this site, this recipe has just made my vape pay for itself!

Nerdcore,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
cool. i never thought of grapeseed oil - wonder why that was your choice. the OP's recipe calls for canola oil so that's what I've been using with great success.
glad you found this leeching approach to your liking. i personally much prefer it to simmering.

jeffp,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
well i used this leeching method and came out with good results...i think. i only say 'i think' because i have yet to try a full brownie. i used 2/3's of a cup of vegetable oil, a teaspoon of vinegar, a pinch of salt and about 20g's of abv that was a bit dark in color with green specks throughout. i allowed the mixture to sit in a glass pickle jar for 1 week and shaking at least 3 times a day. however, i also added some keif that i decarbed but im unsure of the amount. if i had to guess maybe approx. 0.5g's? it was about a 4 months saving of keif. so i cut the brownies into 20 pieces and then when i took all the brownies out of the pan i scraped up the left over brownie material still stuck on the pan. when i balled all the stuck on brownie together it was the size of a truffle so i decided to eat it to test the taste. well the taste was 'mehh' but i got a high buzz/out-of-it feeling from 12:30PM to about 5PM. can't wait to try a full size brownie if a truffle sized one packed a solid punch :D definitely will be using this method every time i make cannaoil.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Can't comment one way or the other about using vegetable oil, hopefully others can, but the choice of oil is very important. I've gotten consistently powerful results with canola oil which is what the original poster recommended. The only other oil I would experiment with is cocoanut but I'm hesitant because of its tendency to solidify which would, I think, slow the leeching dramatically. However it's a delicious and healthy oil so it is a consideration possibly in the summer.

jeffp,

Durbs

Boere Verdamper
How badly does it smell when you are simmering it on the pan? I'd imagine that could easily fill an apartment with a terrible smell, and I'd rather not my landlord receive any complaints. :/

Durbs,

Durbs

Boere Verdamper
Well, could I do this without that step?
Maybe I could just mix olive oil with abv for a while and then it will be proper abv canna oil?
Would that work?
How much oil should I use for 10 g abv, 15g? 18g?
For how long should I leave it?
Thank you very much. :)

Durbs,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Durbs said:
Well, could I do this without that step?
Maybe I could just mix olive oil with abv for a while and then it will be proper abv canna oil?
Would that work?
How much oil should I use for 10 g abv, 15g? 18g?
For how long should I leave it?
Thank you very much. :)

If you read this thread you'll see step by step instructions on how to do this without simmering. Here, I'll save you the trouble: Mix a half cup of very finely ground herb (electric coffee grinder til powder) with a half cup of canola oil.
Add a dash of salt and a teaspoon of vinegar. This should be in something like a Mason jar. Shake it, seal it, and put it on a dark corner of your kitchen cabinet, or desk drawer, or something like that. Leave it alone for four or five days except to shake it once a day for good measure.

It's done. No simmering, no smell. Follow the brownie recipe that's on the box. The recipe will call for oil, this is the oil you use. Don't heat the oven higher than 325 even if the recipe calls for 350. Use the toothpick method to determine if the brownies are done - you may have to bake them a few minutes longer than the recipe calls for because of slightly lower temp.
I recommend you spend a few minutes reading this thread for little tips and tricks but this is the basic procedure.
They will keep in the freezer for a few weeks so go easy on them....
If you haven't done edibles before understand that this is going to be a different experience. Best to start off with only one brownie and see where it takes you and gauge that for your next go round.
It takes about 90 minutes for the effects to really hit you so be patient.
Make sure you're in for the night and especially do not drive or even think about doing any coordinated functioning.
Expect to be fully blitzed for a good six hours.

jeffp,
Reactions: f2j

torres09

Made some brownies using the recipe below.

Simmered ABV with some butter.

CBF straining. Used about 7g and cup the block into 8 pieces.

Was licking the bowl and just ate one.

Going to wait an hour and a bit to see where im at.

t3ZkI.jpg

torres09,
Top Bottom