Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

JSteez4205

aka Gordon NugzB
I think this will really help to eliminate the smell.
Not sure that it will eliminate the smell, will just misplace the smell from a closed concentrated room to the outdoors. If you do this in garage or outside the smell will still be there but neighbors or passerby people may catch some wafting smells...Not to say they'll notice where it's coming from. But maybe ceramic tile would work. It's been used by people making concentrates during Purging process.

If you're looking to eliminate the smell I can't stress Cold Infusing enough...

JSteez4205,
Reactions: jeffp

Rents

Not sure that it will eliminate the smell, will just misplace the smell from a closed concentrated room to the outdoors. If you do this in garage or outside the smell will still be there but neighbors or passerby people may catch some wafting smells...Not to say they'll notice where it's coming from. But maybe ceramic tile would work. It's been used by people making concentrates during Purging process.

If you're looking to eliminate the smell I can't stress Cold Infusing enough...

I suppose the garage wouldn't be the best idea, but if you're looking to keep the smell outside of the house and live far away enough from your neighbors, it would be easy to do it outside. I even have a burner on my grill, although that might get a bit too hot.

When you say cold infusing, are you referring to putting the vaped weed in the freezer beforehand?

Rents,

Rab

This is just what I have been looking for. I smoke my abv, something I am sure you all think would be sacrilidge D:

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
This is just what I have been looking for. I smoke my abv, something I am sure you all think would be sacrilidge D:
haha been there... i always use coconut oil because it has a long shelf life, and its a solid below 76f and a liquid above 77f... its nice n easy to store.. no fridge needed... this makes coconut oil great for making capsules...

i usually don't try too hard to do it w/ ABV either... just toss it in a jar w/ just enough coconut oil to cover it and cap the jar w/ foil... then put it in a preheated oven at 325f-350f for 25-30 min and strain right away and let cool.. it turns solid pretty fast... i usually just add mine to hot cocoa because i'm not a big desserts fan... anyway... i figure the high temps don't hurt the ABV because they're only high temp cannabinoids left over(perfect for pain).. i just got a molar pulled and have had no pain... been medicating since before my appointment yesterday and i feel fine, just keep dosing and occasionally add a vapor bag for low temp cannabinoids... i usually vape my bud between light and dark brown... more towards light usually so my ABV is still useful to me

I just got one of those electric coils the other day haha... for the same reason + for purging extracts etc.... it was only like ten bux at the dollar store by my house, works fast too and good...

Buildozer,

Rab

Interesting ideas there, coconut oil seems like a more versatile easier to store/distribute method

I don't have much abv but was thinking of collecting a gram or two and experimenting with firecrackers

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
I don't have much abv but was thinking of collecting a gram or two and experimenting with firecrackers
i would use at least 2 grams of not too vaped bud... but ya i love coconut oil... like u said its very versatile, hi in fat, and ez to handle... plus its a nicer trade off for edibles...
Also if you use water while you cook butter or whatever to separate chlorophyll's and dirt, etc. the coconut oil works nice to solidify better than butter will... the benefit to using water is it is a cleaner product, also it takes longer because of a lower temp... the water regulates the temp at waters boiling point... i usually don't have the patience for this for ABV, but its worth it for fresh herb... takes about 2 hrs. though instead of 30 mins ha... but its a quality turnout.. lighter in color and doesn't give you gas or anything like that... once its separated and you dump out the water you'll see all the nasty shit that would have ended up in your extract...

Buildozer,

JSteez4205

aka Gordon NugzB
c7f7fd6175931e3f9b88b24c7ba3d0ef_zps8f1c8d2f.jpg

Here's 1 of my finished products. Brought with me to sister's house in Cinci so I can have a Verry Merry Christmas tomorrow :) had one Saturday night after I made them but passed out too quickly that evening just from being exhausted from work(& maybe partly due to vaping &/or licking some batter off my mixing spoon)Woke up next morning wih a bit of a body buzz still going on. Very nice. Gave to 3 others, one said he had a very strong but good experience(almost halucinating) one just said it tasted delicious and hasn't given feedback on effects to him. My good buddy who used to live in Cali and had a med card says that my medibles(all from my abv) gets him just as medicated and lots of times higher then the dispenserary's medibles...
When you say cold infusing, are you referring to putting the vaped weed in the freezer beforehand?
I am strictly referring to a process I learned on this site where you mix your finely grinded/powdered abv into a measured amount of various cooking oils(measured per recipe) I say various because I use 3 different types usually in my mixture(twisting oils as described by someone here on FC I believe) olive, canola, and vegetable(I also toss Ina dash of salt & a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar). And then letting that mixture sit for 4 days shaking twice a day. It was originally described as cold infusion because you're not using any heat to transfer the remaining compounds into the oils like we ALL used to do back in the stone age on our stove tops creating an obvious(offensive to non-users) smell throughout your dwellings. With the method I described earlier, the only smell I've experienced is when my brownies are cooling after cooking and then it's more of a chocolate aroma, but you can definitely smell the meds at that point.

JSteez4205,
Reactions: Buildozer

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
the other day i cooked ~10g of powdered AVB into ~half its size of coconut oil and half its size of water. i decided this time id make capsules w/ it... i probably never will again though ha... unless i have a good reason... anyway here's a pic, ~5 strong doses there.
35i7n1c.jpg

Also i put a little cinnamon in each one too.. that's what the dark stuff is. I didn't use 00 caps, these are the next size down i think.. sorry i know its not brownies.. ha

Buildozer,

redsuns

this was the first time i cooked with cannabis and the first time i have tried and edible. I didn't use the 17 grams but i used just under 13 grams of lightly vaped cannabis, but they are pretty potent. Last night i ate 1.5 pieces and had the most intense high. Now the next morning i still have a pretty good feeling just not as intense as it was last night.

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
Today i took a gram of dry style GDP bubble hash and ground it real fine and cooked it into about 2x its size in coconut oil, and ate half...
a double cheeseburger, and a vape sesh later and i'm BAKED:mmmm:and hungry ha.i Highly recommend.:ko:

Works w/ Vaped Bubble Hash too. you just need to use more

Buildozer,
Hmm reading through this tread has been interesting. It's always nice to see what solutions unlike minds develop for similar problems.

I am a little surprised at the general concern for loss of potency. I personally am mainly striving for palatability over potency since we are dealing with funky recycled material. I think leaving any plant matter in your final product has got to make it taste that much worse. The "traditional" method of heat+water+butter has another huge advantage in my book; after the stuff has cooled all the fine particles will accumulate at the bottom. I scape all the brown sludge off and discard. Throw a pat of normal butter in the batch if you're worried about it being an exact weight.

To minimize the stink, I try to do large batches less frequently, although having a good vent hood dosen't hurt. I have never noticed a lingering smell after the cooking is done.

I like to do 2 lbs of butter at a time, I'll use 5-6 oz of abv. This is all from high-grade with various bubble and keif mixed in. I had to keep dialing my recipes down because my treats were too potent. A girl called me early in the morning a couple of weeks ago because she felt so stoned the day after. No, there's no roofies in my cookies dear. :]

mrboote,

Kellyk3059

My first post.. thanks for the recipe! I used 13 grams abv 1/2 cup veg oil cheese cloth read the box,mix, bake, eat! Simple! Great recipe, great results! Do it!

Kellyk3059,

tikimaize

Big Rigger Approved!
I'm soon going to try my first batch of brownies. Just tried a coffee mug warmer on the coconut oil and it keeps it liquified beautifully. I will not be able to make them until next Friday. Would it hurt if I let the ABV sit in the oil until next Friday (10 days)? Most of what I read recommends 4-5 days. What if I kept it liquified for 5 days then allowed it to solidify until needed? . I also was thinking of throwing some kief in there for an extra boost. It takes me a while build up enough ABV so I prefer the conservative approach. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

tikimaize,

GoBroncos

I am a first time poster and a short time lurker. I found this site about six weeks ago when I stumbled upon it learning about vaporizers. I was very intrigued by both vaping as well as AVB and edibles from the AVB. I am 35 and have been burning since I was about 19 and in college. I bought a MFLB and have been enjoying it very much.
I have been enjoying reading this thread in the past couple weeks looking for cooking ideas as I have never had luck cooking before.
I recently tried jeffp's cold infusion process and I wanted to share my results.
I had about 25 grams of AVB that was toasted brown with specks of green throughout. Very little to no black. I bought a $15 coffee grinder at Walmart and ground that 25 grams into powder. (It was a pain cleaning it out, but I got 99% of it) I added that 25 grams to slightly under a 1/2 cup of Canola oil in a sealed cleaned out salsa jar. I sealed it as tight as I could and shook it and put it in my dark cupboard. Over the next 110 hours I shook it about 8 times. When I used it to cook the bottom was a black sludge and the oil had a dark color. It didn't smell the best, but wasn't terrible.
I cleaned all the sludge and oil from the jar and mixed it with two eggs for a bit before adding in the Ghirardelli Carmel brownie mix. I mixed thoroughly at varying speeds for almost five min. I put it in a 9x9 glass pan. (After putting the brownie mix in the pan you add the carmel in the top and knife into the mix)
I baked it at 300 for an hour and used a toothpick to make sure it was done. I let it cool for a few minuets before putting it in the freezer for about a 1/2 hour. It stunk like pot so I covered it and it put it outside as it was a perfect cooling temp at 40 degrees. A half after later and just over an hour after taking it out of the oven I took out of the pan for a little bit before I covered it put it away in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Before I put it away I had about three solid bites from a piece I cut from the corner. I had vaped during the baking process) I could feel it a little while later and felt great the rest of the day.
When I ate my first nice size full piece of the brownie (I got 12 other pieces after my initial piece as well as my corner I ate) I had a great day. It took about 2 hours to set in and took some effort not to fall asleep, but it was sweet. I had cottonmouth off and on and was pumped that it worked as I have never had any success with making edibles before.
It is most definitely different and amazing in the power and length. With that being said, I am very sure all this varies from person to person and their exact results.
I was/am very pleased to have found out that you can definitely use AVB for making some awesome, easy edibles! The process is so simple it is almost comically and just takes a little bit of patience. Thanks again to jeffp and others that have posted in this thread and to the site itself. Thanks to all of you, you have changed my life from smoking to vaping and opened my eyes to ideas and processes I had never incurred before!

BearlyAsleep

Vaporizing has to be the most efficient way to use herbal medicine. With no combustion taking place, the vaporized herb can be saved and used later, as it still contains some desirable compounds.

Edibles are always fun, here's a simple recipe for making cannaoil with your ABV. It won't taste as good as fresh but it still packs a punch.

ingredients.jpg

You'll need a brownie mix that calls for cooking oil, the basics for making brownies, something to strain with, and of course, the vaporized herb.

weight.jpg

I happened to have 17.3g (bag tared). Most recipes call for about 6 grams of fresh herb, with vaped herb you have to use more, as a lot of the good stuff has been vaporized. How much more depends on the quality of the herb and how thoroughly it's been vaped.

This batch was pretty strong.

volume.jpg

Or just over half a cup... 130ml to be more precise. This was a mix of maybe 20 varieties, all of decent quality.

mortar.jpg

You can grind up any small pieces of bud, using two bowls as a mortar and pestle.

canola-oil.jpg

This brownie mix called for 50ml (~1/4 cup) oil and 50ml water.

That wouldn't be enough oil for the amount of herb I had, so I exchanged the water for oil. Generally, you'll need at least as much oil as you have herb, as measured in a measuring cup. Try to get a brownie mix that calls for that amount. I used canola oil.

herb-in-oil.jpg

Warm the oil on low heat. I put my finger in it and it felt hot, but not burning. Be careful if you don't know your stove.

Stir in the herb. I threw in some stems for the hell of it.

Set a timer for 60 minutes.

simmering-herb.jpg

Gently shake the pan side to side to even out the mixture so that the all the herb is immersed in oil.

Very slightly turn up the heat so that you can see very small bubbles forming occasionally and hear a slight sizzle directly above the pan. You don't want to let it get too hot... a very light steam should be all you see coming from the oil.

Keep an eye on it, making sure it doesn't start bubbling any more rapidly. You can mix it around from time to time as well.

hot-cannaoil.jpg

1 hour later.

Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes or so.

straining.jpg

Straining out the herb:

Pour the mixture through a strainer. A lot of the oil is absorbed into the herb, use cheesecloth to squeeze it out. I had to improvise with a garlic press.

Make sure you figure out how you're going to strain it before you get to that point, things will go a lot more smoothly.

cannaoil.jpg

You'll lose a bit of oil in the process, some stuck the herb, and some because your stupid strainer didn't fit all the way into the measuring cup and you spilled some on the counter. :)

brownie-mix-cannaoil.jpg

At this point you just follow the directions on the box.

Most brownies are baked at around 325F (162C) and for vapor brownies I wouldn't go any higher. If the recipe says 350, ignore it, add a few more minutes to the cooking time instead... until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

vapor-brownies.jpg

I ended up with a dense and fudgey 21x21x1.5cm brownie which was cut into 9 pieces, working out to around 2 grams of vaped herb per piece.

I was going to try one right away, but all of a sudden I started to feel pretty good from just licking the bowl. :D
Just made this according to your recipe, and BAM, i too, licked the bowl haha!

BearlyAsleep,
Reactions: Vicki

Taggle3000

I cooked the recipe vtac this afternoon, it was the first time I cooked and everything went very well. Thanks vtac!
peace from France

Taggle3000,

Taggle3000

Some pictures :

1363022318-wp-20130311-001.jpg

The oil poured into the brownie batter

1363098737-wp-20130311-003.jpg

And the result :D

I took a big slice to about 20 pm yesterday and I was completely perched all night ! And I slept very well. I cook with 17 g of good weed but very brown (good vaporised).

Taggle3000,
Reactions: jeffp

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I just wanted to update re the "cold infusion" approach, that I had better results leeching for 7 days rather than four or five. It's hard to say if it was the quality of the material or the longer duration or both but the last batch was the best yet. Down the line it would be interesting to get some kind of consensus on what time frame affords the most potent results, and what is the point where you would risk the oil turning rancid.

jeffp,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
I've been collecting ABV for a while and am about to make some brownies. I've used the stove-top simmering method in the past, with coconut oil. I like the coconut oil for taste and it's healthiness.

I think this time I bake, I'm going to try the infusion method with coconut oil. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm wondering if I'll need the little heater to keep the oil a liquid. If I do this, I won't be able to keep the jar in a cool, dark place. Is this okay?

Has anyone tried both the infusion method and simmering method, and noticed differences between the two? I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the mug heater and wait the 7 days to infuse.

Deadhead101,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
On my list of things to do is to try the cold infusion with coconut oil and while I don't have a mug heater I have something - and you probably have one also - which i think would work just the same:
A drip coffee maker with a base that stays warm.
As far as simmering versus cold infusion, I've done both and I am of the belief that cold infusion is superior not only in potency and taste but also in intangible vibe. The difference is slight; it's not dramatic, but it's easier, no smell, and I think the "no smell" aspect which means no smoke or evaporation, translates to much less waste. Just my opinion.
I'm sticking with 7 days rather than 4. My experience is that 7 is superior.
Because it took me months to save up enough ABV, one extra week is not a big deal.

Also - because we're using 1/2 cup of oil, try and find a brownie mix that calls for that amount of oil rather than 3/4 cup and then adding in extra un-infused oil to the mix. A friend tried exactly that and she reports that this worked against her. I'm not sure if this makes any sense, though.

jeffp,

Deadhead101

So do I just use bud powder and oil? I recall reading about vinegar. Is this necessary?

Deadhead101,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
yeah, a while back somebody suggested adding a dash of vinegar and salt to serve as a "detergent" and there's no downside to this; in fact it's possible that this helps exasperate the leeching process.
so it's a half cup of finely ground ABV (electric coffee grinder if you have one for powder fine consistency), a half cup of canola oil (make sure it's NOT low fat), a teaspoon of vinegar (i use organic apple cider but I wouldn't go out and buy it for this purpose alone) and a dash of your favorite salt.
Put it in a mason jar, seal it, give it a good shake, put it in a dark cool corner, leave it alone for a week except to give it a vigorous shake once a day.

Use a brownie mix that calls for 1/2 cup of oil. When you stir it all together, spend a bit more time with it than you would ordinarily do, trying to make sure that the oil is as evenly dispersed as possible. I get a little obsessive with this, probably stirring it more than necessary but it's important.

I don't deal with straining, it's truly not necessary and it's a hassle.

Don't bake the brownies any higher than 325 degrees. If the recipe calls for 350 just bake them five or ten minutes longer. You'll know when they're done. Stick a toothpick in it. If it pulls out dry, it's done.

It's better to underdose the first time to gauge how they make you feel. Listening to any live Dead show from '73 seems to work very well while waiting for the brownies to kick in (about an hour or so...).
And it climbs - my friend described the effect as mushrooms and morphine. I don't think that's quite accurate but it is a trippy type of experience.

jeffp,
Reactions: Peloton

tikimaize

Big Rigger Approved!
I think this time I bake, I'm going to try the infusion method with coconut oil. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm wondering if I'll need the little heater to keep the oil a liquid. If I do this, I won't be able to keep the jar in a cool, dark place.
I have done it. Kept it on a coffee mug warmer for 8 days. The warmer does not have a temp control so I have no idea what temp it actually was. I did angle the jar so only part of the bottom touched it. I only had a quarter of ABV so it took 2 brownies to really fly, but fly I did. Good luck.

tikimaize,

Deadhead101

Thanks, Jeffp, for the detailed response. I'm going to try the infusion, but with coconut oil. Also, I'll probably forgo the coffee grinder, as my herb is already incredibly fine, like sand. Yeah, I agree with putting on a Dead show. By the time you get to the second set, the brownies will have started kicking in, making for a far-out cosmic journey. I actually plan on eating some of these brownies at an upcoming Furthur concert.

Tikimaize, I'll do what you did, using the coffee mug warmer. I only have about a quarter as well. It should be enough though. They may not be the most potent, but I can always scarf down additional brownies as needed.

Top Bottom