Discontinued VapeXhale Cloud

wootze

I think I'm gonna cry. My Cloud has broken after just 8 days of daily regular use. :cry::cry::cry:

_IGP8501.jpg

_IGP8502.jpg

_IGP8511.jpg

I swear on my life I treated this thing like it was a newborn baby. I've spent a total of 845$ on my Cloud if you add all the expenses attached to it, so I know how precious it is.

A nice VapexHale rep told me sometimes if it got wet it could create a succion. If that happened, I should very, very gentil twist the swagger double to dislodge the pressure so not to break anything.

Well, I twisted gently, and it came off like that.

The Cloud was EXTREMELY hot though (I always leave it at 9 oclock, never higher) so maybe the glass was too stressed?

What am I gonna do now? Do I ship it back to them?

I'm so sad. At least I have my Extreme Q to fall back on, but I am just devastated.

8 DAYS!!!!
I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune . I think you contact vxl and I read from another poster that they can fix it for $100

TigerLord

Alias for BradyY
Vapexhale support came back to me they want 150$ to fix this? IVE HAD IT FOR 9 days!

Fuck this im returning it and calling my credit card company.

No vape is worth 1000$ and all this trouble.

TigerLord,

rhygin

OneVapeToBindAllCombustion
Well my unit never worked wéll from day one hardly any clouds or should I say NO CLOUDS even when maxed up. I got it when I was in rehab for three months so when I got back tested it and went straight back to my arizer solo and verdamper. Thought it might be because I live in Germany and need a 220V to 110V adpter mine has 45W and I guessed that might be to little stiil the green light goes on and stays on but still no clouds

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Well my unit never worked wéll from day one hardly any clouds or should I say NO CLOUDS even when maxed up. I got it when I was in rehab for three months so when I got back tested it and went straight back to my arizer solo and verdamper. Thought it might be because I live in Germany and need a 220V to 110V adpter mine has 45W and I guessed that might be to little stiil the green light goes on and stays on but still no clouds

Wow, obviously you didn't go to rehab for the weed. :brow:

I bet the voltage is the answer dude, I admire you taking the chance....

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Vapexhale support came back to me they want 150$ to fix this? IVE HAD IT FOR 9 days!

Fuck this im returning it and calling my credit card company.

No vape is worth 1000$ and all this trouble.

You said you broke it yourself. You were even warned about the lockup. The advice you said that the VXL rep gave you was exactly right, as our glass experts will tell you. You were handling a glass on glass connection and you experienced a well-known phenomenon. It's not a design flaw and it's not a materials failure, it's a risk of GonG. I understand your dismay but I don't see why VXL would accept a broken unit as a return, and I don't see why your credit card company will give you a refund for something you broke yourself—unless it has all-perils insurance for purchases, of course. $150 seems like a bargain to me, because I don't see you getting any value out of your Cloud if you don't get it fixed. A month or so ago, you'd be stuck for a whole new base unit.

You might also take note that when you first described your tragedy, a lot of people posted in sympathy. I predict that will change if you don't re-think your position. I doubt that I'm the only one who thinks you're being unreasonable.

wootze

His reaction is understandable, certainly. I hope he will see $150 as manageable and feel supported here.

wootze,
Reactions: mvapes

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
It must just be an issue with the swaggers then, I've never noticed a lockup on my HT, or the various 18mm pieces I've used it with.

CentiZen,
Reactions: mvapes

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Being locked up blows, I tell you this from exper.......oh wait - you meant the cloud....no no mines good, never locked up.

Dude I am so sorry for your loss, its like "do I just put ol yeller down or spend the 150 to keep her going?" IMO - rover is worth the buck and a half.:tup:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
It must just be an issue with the swaggers then, I've never noticed a lockup on my HT, or the various 18mm pieces I've used it with.
No, its a simple issue of the glass joints sticking a bit, I believe, happens on my SGW every once in a while. I seem to remember a "taper" in the GonG design? And the idea of NOT twisting but using a subtle "rock" to utilize that feature? Not sure iirc though . . . :hmm:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
His reaction is understandable, certainly. I hope he will see $150 as manageable and feel supported here.

It's absolutely understandable to be upset, but not unreasonable. He'll have no problem getting support if he's reasonable. My point is that I don't think he is.

I could see that happening to me. I'm a total glass klutz, I live in fear of owning something like the Cloud.

wootze

All the above is important shit. What 2 do? Assiduously dry glass? That seems a given considering the heat involved.
Electronics too.

Glass lube? What?where?

TigerLord

Alias for BradyY
I am happy to share the details and context of my situation. I’ll leave it to you guys to judge whether I am being unreasonable or reasonable. J

I was introduced to the cloud in this thread I made some weeks ago (link: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/medical-user-2y-extreme-q-user-need-change.8035/) in which I asked advice about getting a new vape. You can read it in full if you want, but the TL:DR version is that I used to be a recreational user (Extreme Q) and now suffer from ulcerative colitis. I’m now a legal home grower in Canada as part of the Medical Marijuana Access Registry. So I wanted something better than my Extreme Q to consume my medicine, which works well for 180$ but gets dirty too quickly. I quickly narrowed it down to three choices then eventually chose the Cloud.

At the time I made my decision, most hydra tubes were out of stock. I figured that if I was going to be vaporizing 3-5 times a day for the rest of my life (or as long as it takes for the Imuran, Remicade, Prednisone and Mezalazine to put my colitis into remission) I should get the best: the swagger double looked terribly sexy, and the video on VapeXhale’s was appealing. There was zero documentation to rely on, but I figured the folks around FC would make up for it (and you guys did on many occasions, so thank you for that. This place is an amazing brotherhood of brothers who look out for each other).

As soon as the Swagger was in stock (I asked to be notified via e-mail) I RUSHED to the site. I kid you not. I trampled countless puppies, kittens and baby angels to get to my PC ASAP because I was so looking forward to ordering it.

Unfortunately the shopping cart reported an error when I entered a zip code and wouldn’t let me restart the procedure. I contacted VapeXhale on Twitter, who responded very quickly by sending me an e-mail to process the transaction manually. Great pre-sale customer service! They literally responded to my tweet in less than 15 minutes. Two thumbs up for sure.

I don’t really like to give my CC information via e-mail so the next day I cleared my cookies and tried to purchase the Swagger Double again. After two tries it went through, I was so happy! VapeXhale shipped it VERY quickly (another thumbs up) and I have nothing, absolutely NOTHING negative to say about their pre-sale support and expedite shipping.

When I received my Cloud, I open the box and find:
A. My cloud
B. My Swagger Double
C. Some foam mats to protect the merchandise
D. A single sheet of 8.5x11 paper that talks about the warranty

Absolutely no documentation available either in the box, or on their website, on how to use this product safely, correctly and efficiently. I have never used such a device. Perhaps VapeXhale think the Cloud is so simple it doesn’t even deserve that a one page PDF that would take 10 minutes to type in Word and be placed on their website is necessary, but as soon as I saw the cloud I wondered:

1. How do I fill this tube?
2. From the top or bottom?
3. How much water does it need?
4. How often should I replace the water?
5. What’s the best way to clean this glass efficiently?
6. There are no numbers on the temperature dial. How do I know which temperature to set it at? As a medical patient I know THC and CBD have different flash points and I want to make sure both CBD and THC are in my vapor because CBD is actually the molecule that has been demonstrated to exhibit medical properties due to its ability to bind with the millions of CB1 and CB2 receptors lined in our bowel, receptors that are also used to regulate all sorts of things like inflammatory processes. So is noon 200°F, or 500°F?
7. How long can I leave the Cloud on? Could the element burn? Is there an auto-shut off? What does the green or red light mean?
8. What that sticker thingy they included in the box? Oh, it’s a silicon sheet. Why do you need silicon sheet? When should I apply it? What is it for?

I don’t know about you, but I think all of these questions are perfectly reasonable questions any consumer could have when then open a box and see a product they have never used in their life.

So I call the representative (the same Friday I got my unit) who tried to help me place an order when their website was malfunctioning. He was nice, polite and helpful. Unfortunately he had no idea what the min or max temps of the unit was. He said to put it a noon and go from there. He couldn’t tell me if noon was approximately 500C, 300, 400F… not even a ballpark. OK, a little annoying, but am I gonna make a fuss about it? No. I’ll just experiment. I’ll figure it out later. It another vapexhale rep who told me the min was 200F and the max was 500F and to start at 9’oclock instead. I cannot fathom why this information is not made readily available at the very least on their website, but that is neither here nor there. So I spent about 25 min on the phone with this polite gentleman, who explained how I should fill the swagger double from the top, then blow the water in the second chamber. He explained how to pack the bowl to have the most efficient vapor, what the silicon sheet is for, etc, etc.

Just before we’re about to wish each other a great week-end, he says (and I am paraphrasing because we all know how good our short term memories are):
“Sometimes with the Swagger if it gets wet it can get stuck. Make sure you keep it dry and if it happens just leave it there to dry a few minutes then gently swirl the swagger left and right until it lets go.”

If locks can happen and VapeXhale already is aware of it, why is there no warning anywhere? It would take perhaps thirty minutes for someone at VapeXhale to fire up Microsoft Word, type a few guidelines, tips and tricks and then print it on a laser printer. Then just include this sheet in every box. At the very, very least, put all that info on your website. A simple link to a PDF would do.

I have had this Cloud for about 9 days now. I have smoked between 60-70 bowls out of it. Out of those 70 bowls, I had the lock happen 3 or 4 times. Each time, I applied the technique the rep told me about.

1. Close the unit
2. Let it rest (a few minutes he said)
3. Gently twist (a few degrees, back and forth from left to right) to break the pressure lock
4. Gentlyyyyyy lift the swagger and put it on its stand

Except this time, the 5th lock, I did the same thing I was told to do and the bamboo broke. I employed the method prescribed by VapeXhale to undo such locks. It still broke the unit.
What else could I have done? It’s not like there’s a manual to fall back on, or a website filled with a FAQ, a knowledge base, or product specifications (all standard things for manufacturers in 2013). There is a black hole of information that is given on a case by case basis, unevenly. It’s not enough, especially not for a 650$ product. “RTFM” is a popular meme for a reason. Or is meme not the right word? Anyway J

If you calculate the shipping (~50$), the duties and taxes I had to pay (~125$), I am well over 800$ in expenses paid for this vaporizer. Of course, shipping and duties are standard among all mail orders companies and it’s not fair to add that amount in the overall price of the unit when considering or comparing vaporizer models. However, it’s perfectly normal to account for those expenses when considering whether it would be best to cut your losses now. So if you take into account I have had this vaporizer for nine days, used it less than 100 times, and used it as prescribed over the phone, it’s not normal that it should break so quickly.

Where does that leave us now?

VapeXhale want me to ship this back at my expense (50$), pay 150$ to have the bamboo replaced, then pay another 50$ to have it shipped back to me. So, overall, 250$ to repair something I’ve had for 9 days. Not to mention the down time...

I’m a medical patient, I neither have the will, time or resources to deal with shit like this. I have my Extreme Q to fall back on at least, thank god. I wanted to buy a vaporizer that would give me the best vapor with the minimal amount of hassle when it comes to vaping. This is a LOT of hassle, imho. Is it unreasonable to expect a product not to break in 10 days when you’ve just been following the advice you were given by the manufacturer?

Is it unreasonable to be upset when we’re told we’ll have to pay 250$ to fix something you just received? A product you spent over 650$ (actual value) on, but that came with zero documentation or support on how to use it correctly? Then when you call and have specific questions, they will do their best to answer, but they don’t have answers to some of the most basic questions (such as temperature dial)?

Is it unreasonable to be angry when you receive a phonecall at 8:00 on a Saturday night from a company representative, while you’re at a family dinner, who tells you “I just got word from a sales rep that you had intentions to file a fraudulent chargeback claim and we intend to dispute it”? No apologies, no display of human understanding towards the upsetting situation. Just unleash the dragon. Fus-Ro-Da? Btw, I can ASSURE you all right now I will not be making any fraudulent claims of any kind. It’s not how I roll, and I found the insinuation to be extremely distasteful.

TigerLord

Alias for BradyY
To be honest, after this phone intervention, and all the trouble I have had, I just want to cut my losses. What’s to stop this thing from locking and breaking again? Am I gonna be sending this back every month, at 250$ a pop?

The baseline is this:
1. VapeXhale shipped me a product without the proper documentation to operate it safely
2. Their employees’s knowledge on the product is uneven and sometimes incomplete
3. VapeXhale instructed me on how to undo a lock, which I followed, but it still broke

My contention is that with proper documentation, a detailed written on how to avoid locks (what to do if a swagger lock occurs, how to maintain the unit properly to make sure locks don’t occur etc.) I could have avoided this.

As I said I am a partime biochemistry student and professional photographer during nights. None of my spheres of abilities include engineering knowledge or specialties related to the science of vaporizers. I completely rely on the manufacturer’s knowledge of their product when it comes to operating a product I am unfamiliar with. I don’t find that approach unreasonable.

There is no doubt in my mind the Cloud has produced the best tasting vapor I’ve ever had (all I have had is the Extreme Q) but I don’t think any vaporizer on the planet is worth all this trouble, 1000$ and a threatening Saturday night phonecall.

My 2¢. Happy vaping guys! :)

PS. Goddamn I can type novels when I get high on edibles!

Oh and let me add: I wish VapeXhale nothing but success. They have a good formula, their execution however is poor. Perhaps in a few years when the company has matured I will look at the product again.

But my experience has just been so overly negative that I could never justify the cost.

That's fine that you want to use this opportunity to express dissatisfaction at VXL's lack of documentation, but it has very little to do with your predicament. Any GOG joint is subject to stick if sufficiently moist. Any glass will break if enough pressure is applied. I am surprised a college student needs written warnings that glass is fragile.
"Threatening Saturday night phonecall"? Sounds like someone needs to dial down their edible intake. ;)

Anyway, as one of the "unlucky 2%" I hope my friend returns from the hospital next week!
JlTNpnx.jpg

Dabbing the tears away,
'till the return of that cloudy day...
cloud.gif

TigerLord

Alias for BradyY
That's fine that you want to use this opportunity to express dissatisfaction at VXL's lack of documentation, but it has very little to do with your predicament.

The lack of documentation is exactly the reason of my predicament. If you think it otherwise that is your right, it is not however factual.

Very nice setup you have there, too! :)

How do you like that grinder? My Mundo has been passed on to the next generation so I'm looking for a replacement :)

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
TL, i fully understand ur frustration. as someone who has had glass worth hundreds of dollars break, right at the joint, i know the heartbreak. it is the main reason for the trepidation i had while deciding whether or not to get one. however, i also understand the risks of GonG and the trade off for an all glass airpath. i chose not to use the rec. hydratube due to my lack of faith in their safety and stability. am sorry you reaped the lose of such risks. as to proper instructions... many vaporizers choose to list little to no instruction to avoid legal complications regarding giving instruction to the use and/or abuse of federally illegal and internationally illegal substances so your point on that subject is moot, imho. it is a pricey piece, i can understand your unwillingness to continue your business with them, am surprised it isn't covered under warranty.

after all the flack i get as a volcano owner, i know no matter what it's resale value and warranties hold up, as well as all manner of physical abuse. and usually it's that it isn't worth the price. at roughly the same price i am kinda surprised that the cloud's most vulnerable piece, the GonG joint, isn't simply a switch out of parts at closer to $50 for the glass and whatever it connects to maybe.

these are reasons i didn't purchase til it was under 4 bills, am keeping to my own water filtration and praying i don't break that shit.
telling you how to unlock a GonG joint isn't really in their job description any more than the makers of any bong or oil rig with a GonG would have it be (bad grammar)
truly am sorry you broke ur gear, as i said, do understand your decision, but putting lack of info from manufacturer in that list of reasons why seems unfair to me, personally.
good luck in future with vaping efforts

EDiT - oh, and i have the same shredder, i believe. santa cruz? i like. a few holes larger than i'd like that kick rare bb's, but for the most part perfect fluff.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
The "vibe" I get from this situation is a new user, not just to the Cloud but apparently to glass as well, misinterpreted/misapplied the instructions they received.
Just before we’re about to wish each other a great week-end, he says (and I am paraphrasing because we all know how good our short term memories are):
“Sometimes with the Swagger if it gets wet it can get stuck. Make sure you keep it dry and if it happens just leave it there to dry a few minutes then gently swirl the swagger left and right until it lets go.”
I had the lock happen 3 or 4 times. Each time, I applied the technique the rep told me about.

1.Close the unit
2.Let it rest (a few minutes he said)
3.Gently twist (a few degrees, back and forth from left to right) to break the pressure lock
4.Gentlyyyyyy lift the swagger and put it on its stand
Sorry but some critical math isn't adding up here. What exactly they said is paramount here, and we will never know. I'm sure "swirl" wouldn't have been used and you do not twist something back and forth, you rock something by definition: this is to move (someone or something) gently to and fro or side to side. Twisting is an act of turning something rotationally so that it moves in relation to something that remains stationary. Twist=torque=:cry:
and the video on VapeXhale’s was appealing. There was zero documentation to rely on, but I figured the folks around FC would make up for it (and you guys did on many occasions, so thank you for that. This place is an amazing brotherhood of brothers who look out for each other).

You have many odd questions for someone who claims to have read this thread, watched videos, spoken to FC members etc. Choosing a double chamber piece as your first was unwise imo. I'm sorry about your situation and how being in Canada makes it all more expensive, but VapeXhale has made you a generous offer imho :peace:

t-dub,
No, its a simple issue of the glass joints sticking a bit, I believe, happens on my SGW every once in a while. I seem to remember a "taper" in the GonG design? And the idea of NOT twisting but using a subtle "rock" to utilize that feature? Not sure iirc though . . . :hmm:
I'm pretty sure your remembering correctly. Hope so at least, that's what I've been off of... I hope it hasn't changed, I liked the taper.

havealight101,
Reactions: t-dub

TigerLord

Alias for BradyY
Hi. Thanks for pitching in :)

I never said I read the thread. It should not be necessary to read 405 pages of posts to learn about a product. For 650$, the information should be readily available, not only on use, but specs as well, at delivery. When it wasn't I called the manufacturer to get that information (yes I'm a new user but I did make the effort of calling to educate myself correctly on the product) to make sure I'd use it correctly. I would not call two sentences ushered before a quick "good week-end" goodbye instructions.

VapeXhale has not made any offer at all, let alone anything I'd ever consider generous. I only seek compromise. I did say to the rep I was leaving all lines of communications open for the time being.

Reasonable goes both ways sir.

Top Bottom