1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Yepp, Skeletor rules! At least it's the most versatile one.

fcmember likes this.
  2. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Got to start again. Screwed up the post. :doh: I hate when what I'm editing for some mysterious reason (still don't know why), 1/2 of everything I typed disappears. :ugh: Probably due somehow to my moving too fast. Does this happen a lot to everyone else???

Like you, @Hogni, I have the PS & I think it's as versatile. I paid the add'l. $25 so I didn't have to (w)rack my brain to make an enclosure choice nor drill 2 holes. The aluminum enclosure is solid & durable & I'm indelicate & clumsy so it does get banged around a bit. Yet, it's lightweight enough for me tote around easily. I take it in the car with me frequently. Just have to be sure not to leave it in a closed car in hot weather or in direct sunlight in warm weather as the metal enclosure will absorb heat.

The only inconvenience, if you can even call it that, is having to remove the screws when you need new batteries. But with my usage, I suspect it may be years till then.

Just my :2c:.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    fcmember, Pipes and Mr. Me2 like this.
  3. Hogni

No, M'am, I don't have the PS - just the roughstyle Skeletor ;)

Wanted to make my own enclosure but meanwhile I like the pure roughstyle very much

4. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

So, it being NAKED is why it got water damage? I think you said something about leaving it outside or in the car?

fcmember likes this.
  5. Hogni

It stood naked in an empty tobacco box - with open lid. That's the cause why it went submarine while the rainl :doh:

fcmember and Summer like this.
  6. fcmember

fcmember Well-Known Member

You bring up the issues I've been trying to sort out for some time. I leaned toward the Skeletor because it can be used with batteries, but then I thought I'd probably never be needing it out of the house as I could just use my torch for those times (and if I'm driving I won't be 'using' that day anyway...). If I do want to use a heater, say, at a friend's house, I can just take the Jarhead and plug it in. And its not like I need rechargables for a camping trip or anything (I'm unfortunately beyond that). And also, those batteries are likely not long-lived before needing charging again?

Let me know if I'm off track here. I do like Mason jars a lot so I can't think of a container I'd rather have it in. Do you know if we have any choice about Mason Jar size and color?

Thanks for helping! :)

Squiby and GreenHopper like this.
  7. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

I'm seeing from the pics that @Pipes has used at least 3 different jars for the JarHead, so dimensions will vary. My Jarhead has straight sides, for example, rather than the more rounded one Stu has and is 2.75" across the top and a hair under 4" tall. Assuming, of course, that Stu's is not a Skeltor in his own jar.
    [​IMG]
    The original JarHeads came in a thicker glass jar with what looked like an aluminum lid that was probably not a canning jar. Can't find that pic right now.

Derrrpp, goodpunk6, fcmember and 4 others like this.
  8. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Sounds like you are mostly on track except for the batteries requiring frequent charging. My portside only needs charging every 5-6 weeks. Yep thats right....WEEKS!

It's amazingly efficient.

9. Squiby

Squiby Well-Known Member

Yep I'm with @GreenHopper. My Skelator batteries last a very very long time. Eventually, shortly before they go completely dead, I notice a sharp decline in performance and must heat beyond the click for several more seconds than my usual 4 one thousands.

Derrrpp, fcmember, Summer and 3 others like this.
  10. xlr8shun

xlr8shun Well-Known Member

cybrguy, Squiby and Pipes like this.
  11. Hippie

Hippie Well-Known Member

Batteries have been clocked at about 300 dips in the induction coil or about 50 bowls if you go back a page or 2

Or about 3 days with HG2 batteries for me :rockon:
    (I'm dipping more than 6 times per bowl tho so it's less than 50 bowls in 3 days)

12. turk

turk turk

.enjoying my portside so much have yet to really play with my skeletor ..man this thing is fucking perfect..enhances the vapcap experience unbelievably...took my stuff to la on visit to see my youngest son...blew him out of the fuckin water...pipes is a genius....batteries last....a long time.

13. GreenHopper

Interesting,

My current habit is to pack the bowl 2/3rds full.

Heat in Portsides for 4.5 (mississippi's) and toke click to click through my bubbler.

This usually lasts me about 2hrs and I tend to do 4 or 5 of those an evening.

With this routine I tend to end up recharging every 5-6 weeks and I do it when there I'm down to the yellow light.

Derrrpp, fcmember, Hogni and 3 others like this.
  14. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@fcmember, l just like the convenience of cordless portability of the PS or Skeletor & not having to be tethered to an a/c outlet. Even if I'm in the house & want to use it in the kitchen, or sitting on the couch, or in the bedroom, or while I'm taking a bath, I don't have to worry about my proximity to an a/c outlet or using an extension cord or having to use an inverter. OK, you don't smoke it you are going to drive, but what about (& obviously, I don't know your living situation) if you want to sit in the backyard or on the terrace of your or a friend's house or use it comfortably at a friend's house. Let's say your with a friend & you're not the one driving that day & you go to a sparsely populated park or a beach, or you want to vape in the car before you two take a walk or go to the mall, or whatever. Personally, I would rather know I have the option of not being tethered to an outlet.

As far as longevity is concerned, I think it was phattpiggie who stopped counting at 300 insertions after he charged up his new batteries. For me, I'll be returning to work shortly so I'll only be vaping on my days off, say Sat. - Sun. afternoon for which I'll insert my vc into the heater say 20x max during that time period. Well, without allowing for normal battery discharge over time, I'd ideally get 15 weekends of use before needing to recharge. Naturally, there is some normal battery discharge without use & as batteries age they do not charge as fully &, therefore, have a shorter run time (less than the 300 insertions). So if the batteries ideally did not naturally discharge, I'd get 4-1/2 months of use before recharging, but being that they do naturally discharge & with each charge cycle retain a lesser charge, I have no doubt I'll get 3 months between charges. Of course, someone here who has more experience with rechargeable batts can surmise the longevity of total battery life, but I'm sure that my batts won't have to be replace for at least a year & maybe well longer. With shipping, the 3 batts cost me $19. So for $19 a year at most I prefer to know that I have the convenience of portability. JMO.

Sorry for being so wordy, but this was tough to explain my thinking in writing. Much prefer to chat. ;)

HTH you in someway to make up your decision.

Derrrpp, Squiby, fcmember and 3 others like this.
  15. turk

turk turk

....love it![​IMG]

16. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

I absolutely get it. I just don't FEEL tethered to an outlet because when I am not near one I still have the torch. I don't MIND using the torch at all, I just like the convenience of not having to if I am sitting in my living room or watching TV.

Squiby, fcmember, xlr8shun and 3 others like this.
  17. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I only use my Portside around the house but like the portability vs. plugin.

turk, Pipes, Squiby and 2 others like this.
  18. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

I'm gonna exhaust the batts to the point of loss of practical functionality before I recharge. The closer to total discharge the better it is for the longevity of the battery.

GH, I don't have my IH down to a set-in-stone technique yet, but what worked previously for me (& not to say it will work for me again :lol:) is the 1st dip (thank you for the terminology @Hippie; much better than 'insertion.' :D) is four one-thousand for which I get 1 hit, & then for the 2nd dip it's three or four one-thousand, & then three one-thousand for the 3rd & final dip. I get 2 hits each from these last 2 dips. So, all-in-all, I get 5 very vaporous hits from a full bowl. Any more or longer-timed dips, I combust. So, will find out tonight if I stand behind what I just said. :rofl:Like you, 2 hours on average I go back & do another 3 - 4 hits. And sometimes, I'll even do a repeat of the 2nd session. :brow: I use your technique from a past post of a medium-coarse grind, loosely scooping in the bowl in dug out fashion till full, then a light tamp. See, you're teaching me well. :)

@cybrguy, I don't miss using the torch AT ALL! I will if I have to, but I never got as vaporous hits as I do with the IH & rarely did I get vapor on the 1st hit with a torch. To get a wisp of vapor on the 1st hit, I would heat the vc till click & let it cool to click w/o taking a draw & reheat a 2nd x before draw. The IH is an absolute luxury for me. The vcs & IH have been the best purchases I made this year.

God bless you, Hippie :cheers: 50 bowl in 3 days! :o At your level of consumption, I would be, at minimum, broke, pet-less, weedless & homeless, &, at max, I would be dead! :rip:

19. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

If I get visible vapor on the first hit I did something wrong. :o With my VCs the first hit is nearly always about flavor and I don't go past the click. I'm not much of a cloud chaser anyway as much of the time I see clouds as wasteful. I DO like big hits, tho, so I do "waste" some vapor even the way I vape.
    I have three other vapes (besides VCs) that i use regularly (Zi, Mi, and Lotus) so I am really not looking to have the same experience every time I vape. And I like using my VCs both with the Jarhead AND with the torch.

Pipes, Summer and GreenHopper like this.
  20. fcmember

fcmember Well-Known Member

First, everybody on this page gets a huge KUDOS from me! Thank you ALL for providing so much very necessary information and also personal experiences with @Pipes heaters! I've read each one very carefully and will go back and read them again later. :love:

Portside - yep, I'm getting that one. What changed my mind was what all of you said about the batteries lasting quite a long time. I have lots of rechargable batts because I vape ecigs, but I'm just guessing that the Portside will require 'married' batteries? I have several sets of those (but they're 'twin' sets)...or should I purchase brand new batteries and marry them?

Which batteries do you find last the longest in these heaters? Or does it matter? Also, how many batteries are in the Portside? I can see 3 on his FAQ page but it doesn't say how many (or I couldn't find it).

Again, thanks a TON! :)

ClearBlueLou, Summer, turk and 2 others like this.
  21. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

Actually no, with Li-Ion it's best to discharge only down to 20% for maximum service life. Deep discharges and complete charges are actually detrimental.

Derrrpp, Summer, fcmember and 5 others like this.
  22. GreenHopper

Glad we can help out.

You'll need 3x 18650's to run a PortSide or the Skeletor.

They don't have to be married up as there is a BMS but it's best to do so.

I went for 3x LG HG 2's. @ 20Amps they meet @Pipes minimum current requirement but they also have a high 3000mAh capacity.

As @KeroZen points out above its best not to fully deplete these units so I tend to charge them once they are down to 2/5th's capacity, I use the built in power indicator of my PortSide to judge this. As soon as all the blue lights are out I whack the thing on charge.

Another reason I do this is the lower the remaining capacity in the cells the harder the cell works at maintaining the current.

fcmember, turk, Pipes and 1 other person like this.
  23. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Right now, if I recall correctly, @Pipes said his 3rd list for the PS production is closed. He hasn't even begun production as he is waiting on the enclosures. Since he's been waiting a month, he said he might have to find another mfr's enclosure. Originally this 3rd run was supposed to be completed in December, so with the possible enclosure delay & having to get on the list for the 4th run, you may have as much as a 6 month wait. So, if you wanted to do the battery version, I'd go with the Skeletor. In the interim, you could pick a container (take a look through this thread at some of the enclosures others have used & take a look online at amazon, the container store, etc. for available mason type jars you like & others; walmart & other local stores carry them, too.) & find someone who can make the 2 holes for you.

Yes, they take (3) 18650 batteries. I bought the HG LG2s from liionwholesale.com. Many have also recommended IMR.com If you go back in this thread you will find other acceptable 18650 batteries mfrs, but most users seem to be going with the HGs.

fcmember, GreenHopper and Pipes like this.
  24. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

I have enough enclosures to cover the 3rd batch. Going to finish up the Skeletor and JhII backlog before I make up the PSs. Everyone currently on my PS list is safe. :cool:

I have done some poking around and have come up with a scheme to make a PSMini, and have stuff on order to make a sample beta unit. If works as hoped, will get the stuff together and start the new model.
    Might be a little early to announce as will not be till after Christmas before avaliable. Oh well, can't help myself... :ninja:

The differences will be:

Battery will be supplied and is made of Lipo chemistry cells. Actually, designed for the RC world.
    Battery capacity will be cut down to 900 mha which should be ample for a weekend out and about.
    Size will be a little over 1/2 that of the PS. Measures 100mm X 66mm X 43mm Whereas the current PS is 100mm X 100mm X 50mm.
    Enclosure is still Aluminum but black in colour.
    Pricing will be a few more bucks over the PS because of included battery. This battery is currently on sale and if that price holds or close to it, PSMini will be around $100-$110 to you guys.

Please do not PM me for the list just yet, as only in the planning stages. :science:

Here is how things will fit into the new enclosure.

[​IMG]

25. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Ha ha ho ho... How many PMs have you gotten SO far? :rofl: I mean, it's BEEN 21 minutes already.

Derrrpp, Hogni, Zecrono and 4 others like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors