1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Nov 23, 2016.

1. mmenzie

mmenzie My friends call me "Menz"

hello all,
    just came back from the mailbox and my jarhead has arrived!!! so much quicker than i anticipated!!! anyways... i plugged it and was doing a few test runs but i obviously do not know what i am doing :( with such a simple device only a dummy like me would have issues. here is what is happening:

1) plugged the unit in
    2) filled a vapcap
    3) placed vapcap in the IH and pressed down lightly
    4) listened for click (which by the way happens so much faster with this than my double torch)
    5) took out vapcap and hit it

problem is... the hits were non-existent to extremely wispy if i did get a hit. i can feel the cap is hot, so i know its working... just not sure why my hits are so weak.

any tips for this dummy??

***EDIT*** one other thing i noticed... the vapcap does not sit on the magnet on top of the jarhead really well. it moves over to the side of the magnet like the polarity is wrong or something. is that normal too?

GreenHopper and IAmKrazy2 like this.
  2. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@mmenzie, tip I got was to count to either three or four one-thousand. 1st dip I count to four one-thousand, 2nd dip either 3 or 4 one-thousand & 3rd dip, 3 one-thousand. And I usually get 2 hits from each dip; 1st one depending. After the 3rd dip hits, I stir & check my herb to see if it's finished. Sometimes I stir after the 2nd dip.

Yeah, I had the same prob. with magnet on PS. @Pipes is changing the magnet in the future. I bought add'l. magnets from dynavap & will glue one of those on.

HTH.

Edited to add: that unlike @cybrguy below I usually draw hard & slow on the 2nd hit of the cycle & go beyond the cool down clicks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  3. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Yeah, with my Jarhead I pull it at the click for pretty much flavor only, with very little or no visible vapor. The next hit I go about 4 sec after the click and get good hits. I tend to do one big hit until the click or just before it, meaning it clicks a few seconds after I stop hitting it. Then I tend to go 4 or 3 seconds past the click for the next hit. I have usually cashed the bowl by then, especially if I am using the VC with water. With water I am not mouth pulling so a full hit gets much more vapor and caches the load faster.
    The magnets Pipes is using have the magnetism on the edge rather than the center. They still cool the cap fine.

GreenHopper, mmenzie, turk and 2 others like this.
  4. mmenzie

mmenzie My friends call me "Menz"

Thank you @Summer and @cybrguy your tips helped out ALOT!! now, just like when i got the vapcap, i have to find my sweet spot. i did the "4 one thousand" after the click and got a huge hit and then did a "3 one thousand" for the seond and noticed the tast was already off on the second hit and i took off the cap and my bud was very very dark... darker than i normally go even with a torch close to combustion even. so now that i know the "trick" of sorta of "respecting the click" i will play and find my routine

thanks for the help and thanks to @Pipes for this awesome device and fast shipping. i will figure it out soon enough!!

5. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@mmenzie, I should have added that I use a medium-coarse grind, pack my bowl dugout style until it's full & then push it in slightly. All these are factors,along with quality of herb, when figuring out your personal style.

Enjoy!

6. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Excellent. It is a good idea, tho, to take @Summer's advice and check out your load before dumping it. Sometimes the goods right at the tip may be more cooked than what is underneath, and you may have another hit or 2 left. I tend to dump it in my hand, look for value, and if there is still a hit left suck it back in the VC. I'm a little cheap that way and like to get as much out of my goods as I can. :)

7. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Yeah, @cybrguy, my herb after the 2nd dip is toasted (milk choc.) at the tip. But when I stir, the underneath goods are still green or greenish so using the digger, I fold (as in cooking) that to the top for the 3rd dip. If it's too well toasted (dark choc.), I just digger that part out into my palm & go for the 3rd dip with the remaining which will only give me 1 more hit, or sometimes I add a little more fresh herb into the bowl & stir.

8. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

While it is probably true with most vapes, it is particularly true of the VCs that there is a wide variety of techniques and desired results. While it is absolutely useful, almost essential, to read about other folks methods and manner of using and hitting the VC, nearly all of us will develop patterns and methods and behaviors that, if not unique to ourselves, will definitely be different than what other people do. I think @Pipes Induction Heaters also lend themselves to individual variability in use. It's that "different stokes" thing that we all (or at least most of us) accept as part of the human experience.

DirtyD, Alexis, Dynavaper and 5 others like this.
  9. turk

turk turk

....nicely stated cybrguy.

10. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Same for me on the magnet. VapCap goes to one side and then falls off: I don't use it.

EDIT: I simply stick the VapCap back into the Portside.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    DirtyD and Pipes like this.
  11. buckhakeesah

buckhakeesah Well-Known Member

Good to know, I'm experiencing this magnet issue too and thought Pipes may have glued the magnet upside down. I do have a VC magnet from a broken dynastash to use in place. Although lately, I've been using @phattpiggie continuous cloud/reheat method once at temp, so I don't really tend to use the magnet as much at all.

DirtyD likes this.
  12. Smokey McVape

Smokey McVape Peace. Love. Unity. Dynavap.

Amazing. I got on the waiting list for a Jarhead on Sunday. 48 hours later I get my order confirmation and my VAS has gone into overdrive! Thanks to @Pipes for getting everything done so quickly and efficiently. :clap::clap::clap:

DirtyD, Alexis, Zecrono and 7 others like this.
  13. xlr8shun

xlr8shun Well-Known Member

Looks like i got a Skeletor coming to join my Jarhead.. too bad i didnt get on the ball sooner.. with Irma and all, im relegated to the car with the inverter, or im using my torch..

Day2, no power.. and honestly, from seeing the destruction to the few above ground power lines we have left.. i fully expect to be without power for another few days at a minimum.. most of our power is underground now.. but whatever was above ground and within trees length.. has been demolished. This is only northern orlando i am talking about.

My heart goes out to those further south, especially the keys, and the carribean islanders, they got wrecked. :(

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  14. Zecrono

Zecrono Member

Very much same. I'm in redneck Clermont and we had a few small tornados touch down. At least we both have a Skeletor to look forward to! Very happy to get that PM. Hope your power comes back soon, ours is still out. We will see who gets their Skele first :brow:

15. sk8man121

sk8man121 Frozen_Vaporent

Loving my new Jarhead! Total control compared to any type of torch. I find that if pulled at click, hit, returned, pulled at click and hit again repeated until spent, it allows for session-style vaping a la the Firewood 4 with tasty clouds and completely even heating without charring. Bravo, @Pipes!

One question, and I am very much lacking knowledge re: electrical builds such as this: Is there any risk of electric shock / shorting the unit when in use? I noticed a slight sizzle after placing my just-cleaned Vapcap into the unit (which I believe was excess moisture burning off), and it got me wondering.

GreenHopper, Zecrono and Summer like this.
  16. Zecrono

Zecrono Member

I doubt it would short anything. My cap would sizzle with a torch if I had cleaned it a little while before. As long as it's not dripping it's probably fine.

GreenHopper likes this.
  17. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

If just cleaned, I'd suspect it's just the moisture sizzling off. For the most part, it's just 12 volts floating around before firing it up. I've touched it all over even while firing and have never gotten zapped. I imagine if you touch around enough while firing, you'll find somewhere that will give you a different kind of buzz. :freak: Not a wise thing to be hunting for...

GreenHopper, turk, Hogni and 6 others like this.
  18. sk8man121

I guess what I'm wondering is if the heater is sealed off from the rest of the electronics or if the vapcap, being metal and held by hand, could somehow conduct electricity while dipped.

19. Pipes

Completely safe there. It only touches wood and glass. Work coil is outside the glass.
    :nod:

GreenHopper, turk, cybrguy and 6 others like this.
  20. passenger

passenger Member

@Pipes You should be on the Dynavap Payroll. Just saying. :tup:

GreenHopper, turk, Pipes and 5 others like this.
  21. Pipes

Hey guy's, just letting everyone know that I have caught up on the JH and Skelly lists. :haw:
    So if you haven't gotten a notification and was on the list, please let me know.
    Going to start into the PS batch next. Which the list is full and no room for more.

Starting new Skelly and JH lists. :tup:

That's it for now. :D

MDude, Carl Hempel, Joaon and 10 others like this.
  22. sk8man121

Hate to say it, but my new Jarhead appears to have suffered a failure of some sort. When depressed, the light on the charger blinks on and off, but the heater no longer lights up red or heats at all.

This was happening out of the box intermittently and was resolved by shifting the jar's position slightly, but I can't get it to fire at all now.

@Pipes is there something I can do about this on my end?

Edit: Actually, the red light is lighting along with the charger but turning off immediately and then cycling every 3 seconds...

emmdeemo likes this.
  23. emmdeemo

emmdeemo Never ever, bloody anything, ever.

TBF, this is what my brain does when its depressed.

24. Pipes

Try dipping using something non-metallic.
    PM me the results and we'll go from there.

Zecrono, turk, Squiby and 1 other person like this.
  25. phattpiggie

phattpiggie Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

Agree 110% with this, with my M tip run to the click I get light vapor and the best flavour experience I've ever had with a VC.
    No problems with big vapor production counting after the click or running one click bowls.

Feel free to throw ideas at me for Skelly enclosures, I've had a dodgy eye so taken some time out from the more hazardous jobs and spent a bit of time working on some kind of design.

I got time to rip the magnets out of another vape to fix the battery box on mine.
    Click to play YouTube Video

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors